Beginner to Sim Racing - Should I use H shifter from the start?

Hi there,

I am new here and I just started playing Assetto Corsa. I really like to feel the speed and the thrilling of being chased and stay ahead and to chase someone and overtake in the last minute. IRL I drove only karts on small circuits and I have a driving license, but I never used it outside of the driving school. So I thought that a wheel with clutch pedals and H shifter will be fun. I have Logitech G29 and the H shifter. And they are ... except I am a little afraid to actually use the shifter in the racing games (I use all the time in City Car Driving).

So my question for you, the community, is: should I start using the H shifter right from the beginning? I am still learning racing lines, braking points, how not to lock the tires and I try to use as fewer assists as I can. Still, the H shifter is the scariest part, especially when I see the videos of proper downshift (heel and toe). As I still learning, should I learn them gradually and let the shifter for later, or should I learn it from the beginning to be accustomed earlier with the feeling?

P.S. I already have around 25h in AC and I have started the career mode. I think it offers progressive challenges and I am now at N4, the Lotus Elise challenges.

Thank you very much for your answers.
Kind regards :D

My own opinion is you do things the right way ... learning first the basics as racing lines, braking points, how not to lock the tires, etc .... choosing cars driven with the paddles.

You might be distracted learning those basics ... if you tried immediately the H-Shifter and clutch with proper downshift.

Feel comfortable and right with your driving. It'll be easier later to get accustomed with the H-Shifter technique. Rather difficult to concentrate on too many things at the same time. ;)

My own opinion is you do things the right way ... learning first the basics as racing lines, braking points, how not to lock the tires, etc .... choosing cars driven with the paddles.

You might be distracted learning those basics ... if you tried immediately the H-Shifter and clutch with proper downshift.

Feel comfortable and right with your driving. It'll be easier later to get accustomed with the H-Shifter technique. Rather difficult to concentrate on too many things at the same time. ;)

Thank you very much for your answer.

The points made by Jempy are the most important to consider.
Regarding the hardware, I have a G27 and the shifter quality is way below the wheel and pedals. It is so bad that a couple of months after starting to use the kit (many years ago), the shifter was put to rest and I never looked back.

The points made by Jempy are the most important to consider.
Regarding the hardware, I have a G27 and the shifter quality is way below the wheel and pedals. It is so bad that a couple of months after starting to use the kit (many years ago), the shifter was put to rest and I never looked back.
I use that shifter everyday no probs...At first I was missing gears a lot but after a week or two its all ok.Ofcourse shifter is basic but its better then no shifter haha

I don't use thr shifter for racing.
But i love driving with it for fun with iconic cars and tracks, like for example 911rsr at nordschleife or sauber c9 at le mans (among many other combos of course). I also love the ferrarin312 and the lotus 49.
Of course, some modern cars as the 911r or the guilia quadrifoglio are fantastic too.

As somebody stated earlier, do it gradually. Learn racing lines and weight transfer first with cars using the flappy paddles. Then progress to the H-Shifter but with auto clutch. Then when you get used to that switch to manual clutch but with auto ‘blip’ turned on. Then finally learn to heel/toe with everything set to manual. But take your time and do it all at your own pace. The Mazda MX5 Club is a great car to learn in. Very stable and forgiving.

I use the G29 shifter with no issues whatsoever.

I say do all at once, imo its part of the sim aspect to not "cheat" here :D Rather choose cars were you can manage everything at once, do not jump into the 917K or Lotus 49 thinking you could be competitive right away.

There are players that refuse to turn off assist,still use paddle(while they have the option to use H-shifter+Clutch) & still can't drift, although have over 3000hours on the game. Even if it's not realistic, it gets the fun factor increased difficulty.

Learn breaking points, racing lines is not very important unless your target is to win effortless with videogame physic.

I started with a DFGT (2x pedals, 2x paddles + stick sequential shifter), which was great for about £80

When I was given a used T500RS & T3PA Pro pedals I treated myself to a TH8A h-gate shifter, and hated it for the first week or so, but now I absolutely love it! Driving the Lotus 49 or Maserati 250F in AC feels great; admittedly the flappy paddles are quicker for changing gear, but with the h-gate shifter I can drive in AC.

I guess it all depends what you want out of sim racing, but for pure enjoyment I would go with h-gate from the start. Like driving in real life, eventually you find yourself changing gear subconsciously, allowing you to focus on racing / lines / braking points.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%