Beginner Questions

Please excuse my ignorance if these questions are simplistic or have been answered before. I have tried GT Legends on and off for a couple of years now and have renewed my interest in a more serious way.

1. I downloaded the 917k and it is a wonder. This is my favorite automobile ever period. I still have the Road & Track magazines covering the races it was in. Trouble is, I don't hear any engine sounds. What am I doing wrong?

2. At startup I more often than not get an error message saying that the code is not recognized. How do I get this program to start consistantly?

3. Is there a simple tutorial on setting up the active components (i.e. the gear ratios and LSD differential power on/off features)? The manual doesn't cover this at all.

1. I downloaded the 917k and it is a wonder. This is my favorite automobile ever period. I still have the Road & Track magazines covering the races it was in. Trouble is, I don't hear any engine sounds. What am I doing wrong?
The 917 is a great racecar:good:

I can only help with your first question.

Have you installed the two sound-folders? In the zip-file you downloaded there are two folders "917real" and "HISTORICFIAGT" which goes in here: GTL\Gamedata\Sounds

2. I've never come across that, to be honest - what version of Windows are you using? Is your GTL disc clean? (It may sound basic, but you'd be amazed how picky it can be)

3. There isn't one on here, and the vast difference in the car types would make one unfeasibly long for GTL if you had to cover all the possibles. Search the web for "general" sim racing set up advice, as there are lots of them out there, and they will tell you what does what.

However, nothing will replace seat and practice time. The best set up guide will give you all the adjustments to make, but until you practice enough so you can feel what's changing, and know whether it's better or worse for you (and that might not be as simple as it sounds), there's a very good chance you'll just keep fiddling without ever getting closer to something you like.

Knut: Thanks I now have glorious sound with the 917K.:glasses-cool:

Stuart: I tried a different disc drive and the startup problem went away.
After some experimentation with springs, sway bars and differential settings I lowered my best Spa time by 26 seconds. That was in the Alfa GTA which is my favorite car since I own a real Alfa GTV 2000.

Springs and sway bars will have nothing to do with 26 seconds - that's all you buddy :)

Also this thread contains some very useful stuff - [ame]http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6061[/ame]

Might be a lot to take in at once though.

Springs and sway bars will have nothing to do with 26 seconds - that's all you .
Ryan is correct here.

You'll start off on a new track, drive really slowly, maybe have a few spins as you get used to the basic layout, and set an inevitably slow time. After a while, you'll start knocking huge great lumps off your times, and that is purely down to familiarity of the track - what corner comes in what order. You'll start getting quicker and quicker, but gradually those huge lumps become smaller and smaller chunks and your times will start to become consistent. Improvements will be come harder and harder to find and it's only then, at that point, where setups can really begin to help you.

A good setup will begin to help you feel comfortable and allow you to push harder, and make the feeling of the car going up and beyond the limit predictable and catchable.

I was always told that a setup will only make maybe 1 sec difference per lap, and that sounds about right to me (maybe 2 sec on a particularly long track).

But - imagine those 1-2 sec differences per lap over say a 20 lap race. That's some decent time right there.

Welcome to the forum SS, hope to see you in the club races soon.

As for setups...
When I first started playing GTL about a year ago I would drive all the cars with the stock setup. I started to experiment with the setup of a car only after I had driven it so much that I would easily notice if something was changed in the setup.
After you drive the same car for a while, even if in the same track, you will know its limits, strengths, and weaknesses.
The next step is knowing WHAT to change to get the result you are looking for. For a very long time I just used the bar sliders for modifying under/oversteer, suspension stiffness, and gear ratio lol. I didn't know what the hell changing the toe angles, camber, damper, springs, etc... would do anyway so I just stayed away from it.
Eventually, I read up on what some of the stuff does and I started to make small changes to a car I knew well to see what the outcome would be. It's tough though and I am still mostly lost on how to come up with a good setup. I just get lucky and end up with something I like after changing stuff back and forth many times. Worst part is that different cars react differently to similar settings and worse still is that the same car sometimes needs the setup tweaked from track to track!

Well, sorry for the short story bud, basically, what I am saying is:
Drive the piss out of the stock setup until you will notice right away when something has been slightly tweaked, and take note of what you did to cause that result.

Have fun!:good:

Thanks Carlos. I have done a lot of driving in the last two weeks. My wife is beginning to wonder about me. I also downloaded a ton of info on setting up cars. This is both fun and frustrating but much more of the former. It's also a good substitute for not driving the Alfa and MGB (or my wife's MINI)when the weather doesn't cooperate.

Attachments

• Revised MINI photo2.jpg
    Revised MINI photo2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 196
basically, what I am saying is:
Drive the piss out of the stock setup until you will notice right away when something has been slightly tweaked, and take note of what you did to cause that result.

Couldn't agree more, except to add that your own awareness of how you like to drive will help you decide whether the change is a good or bad thing. Something that works for someone who likes the car to slide, will be awful for someone who likes to drive really neatly.

Warren: Very nice. Deb's 2007 is BRG with a white roof.

All: I've been experimenting with exaggerated oversteer and understeer in GTL using varied settings. This has led to a lot of off-track excursions. Yesterday while driving a real car on our curvy mountain roads I REALLY noticed the lack of guard rails and steep embankments. GTL is starting to blur the reality between sim and actual driving. I hope there is a cure for this.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 294 13.3%