Beginner Query

Hi. First time poster here. I'm new to sim racing. So new, in fact, that I don't even have a PC.

I've been playing racing games on console for many years and I recently purchased a Fanatec set up. That quickly exposed the limitations of the console simcade experience so earlier today I traded in my PS4 and started saving for my first gaming PC.

I then trawled through Steam for some sort of sim racing title that would run on my paltry little Asus Vivibook connected to my 27" LG monitor. GTR 2 is perfect. It looks jaggy, there's some frame pacing issues and I guess I'm only getting about 50-60fps (did I mention I have an Asus Vivibook) but even in this reduced state it's a much better experience than what I'm used to.

I installed the HD Textures mod and thankfully that hasn't effected my laptop's 'performance'. So I'm wondering if there are any other mods that don't tax performance? The Anniversary patch, for example, looks very comprehensive but I assume it makes the game more resource hungry? The installation of that particular mod looks quite involved so I won't waste my time even trying if it's going to crash and burn.

I hope to have a PC by the end of the year (Covid-19 has really messed with my budget!). Until then I'll be playing GTR 2 on my potatobook. It's not ideal but I can take comfort knowing that I'm finally en route to proper sim racing.

A final point. Does anybody have some recommended settings for a Fanatec CSL Elite including advice on which, if any, of the wheels settings are not applicable with GTR 2?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I think, first, you'll want to install the HQ Mods Collection or GTR2 Anniversary Patch (same author, same changes, Anni Patch is just an easier all-at-once install thing).

To get way more FPS, you need to enable GTR2 to use more than one cpu core. Easy, just get Bill's Process Manager (free, I recommend this one), or Process Lasso (nagware). The increase in FPS should be dramatic on original content cars and tracks.

Welcome to GTR2. I'm sure you'll love it!

I think, first, you'll want to install the HQ Mods Collection or GTR2 Anniversary Patch (same author, same changes, Anni Patch is just an easier all-at-once install thing).

To get way more FPS, you need to enable GTR2 to use more than one cpu core. Easy, just get Bill's Process Manager (free, I recommend this one), or Process Lasso (nagware). The increase in FPS should be dramatic on original content cars and tracks.

Welcome to GTR2. I'm sure you'll love it!

Thank you! Downloading right now.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back