BeamNG.drive

The guys over at www.beamng.com have released both a free tech demo of their work in process physics engine a well as a $12 alpha purchase which gives access to dev forums and frequent updates of the game until release. The alpha is modable so it'll be interesting to see what may come from this. The demo videos show off some seriously impressive physics in terms of crashes, destruction and movement in general, whether the engine also has a proper tire model and good driving physics remains to be seen, and I'd be interested in hearing your comments on it below. I'll be downloading the tech demo myself today and buying the alpha if I like what the demo has to offer.

Yeah, I gave it a go this morning and I think it will be really fun!

However, I could not change the game controller (in my case wheel) and not even change the keys, so I will wait until these available....if they will be...

:roflmao: sorry Paul i couldn't resist:redface:
6a00d8341c519753ef0168e5516ed4970c-800wi.jpg

Tried the tech demo last night, impressive crash physics, not sure about the driving it all felt very weird, but considering the premise of the demo I don't hold that against them.
I'll wait with buying the Alpha/beta or release until I see some proper track racing popping up from this, taking a truck for a spin offroad can only amuse me for so long.

Downloaded the Demo the other day...
I use a Playstation2 controller but Drive 'automatically' detected that I have Xbox controller...
Being able to set controls without resorting to code or scripts would be a huge leap forward for the game at this point.
Eviroments & crash physics look awsome, Im reaaly looking forward to having a sample drive!
Also trying to figure out if it's possible to import a BTB Pro project exported in .dx into it...
Will let you know if I do! :D

Last edited:
Did anyone of you tried this, should I say, game ? :) It's still in early access.
http://www.beamng.com/
Official trailer:
I play racing games for... about 20 years now (diddn't realise it was so long ago:unsure:) and I, like I'm sure most of us here, was disappointed how badly damage system in ANY of those are. Maybe never-ending-story-Next Car Game is somewhat close, but only close, to this piece of art.

And believe me, I played all that's worth the try. And, can't help but wonder... how come the big game studios can't reproduce this kind of physic and damage ? Maybe they can but won't cause it's to heavy for our computers ? And the BeamNg.drive IS heavy on computers, have to say this, with my i5 3570K and GF 770 I hit, depends of map, even below 30 frames per second sometimes. That would be my only complain for this game. Simulation I mean. :)
But it does look pretty, driving through jungle road makes me want to get out the car and just walk through those dense leafs, they look life-alike. Water also look better than in most racing or FPS games, you just have to see the way that ocean moves!

You can Google it, there's so many videos of this simulation out there, some suggested titles are "fails & crash BeamNG" (funny), "BeamNG vs GTA 5" (amazingly diferences in GTA crude physic vs BeamNG... symphony of destruction!:inlove:).
You can change, beside car and map of course, time of the day, clouds cover (no rain or snow. for now), fog distance, some other stuff and, wait for it - GRAVITY !?! Yup, this is REALLY amazing, you can drive like you're on the Moon, Pluto, Jupiter!, even SUN or... zero gravity. Earth gravity is always there to come back of course. There's also option to slow down simulation so you can watch you car (oh so) realistically wreck on ground. You don't even have to drive, you can choose zero-G, slow don't the sim then choose, say, Sun gravity, and watch that beautiful symphony unfolds.

And, this "small" game right from the start recognize my Logitech MOMO wheel. Why is this important to say, you ask ? Because "BIG" and "official" WRC (5) doesnt. :poop: (for that matter, the latest NBA, also "official" won't recognize my game controler properly so I play games with one hand on keyboard and the other on controler. funny huh) This tiny game beats them all. By mile. And FFB feel is, of course, great.

Also, this game is very modable, there's SOOO many (great) mods for it, here's first two Google finds:
http://www.worldofmods.com/beamng/
http://www.mods-download.com/beamng-drive-mods/
I think this game is somehow similar (and that's good thing, right?) to Spintires, with it's realistic physic and the way the mods are installed.

From Wikipedia:
BeamNG.drive has received mostly positive acclaim, specifically regarding its realism and unique physics structure. In an article with BBC Autos, the writer said, "BeamNG has received interest from the film industry to model vehicle stunts, so that they can be prototyped and tested exhaustively – but cheaply – before a stunt driver smashes up a car on set."
'nuff said. :geek:

Last edited:
I have been looking at it for a long while, but I feel it does need some form of multiplayer before I am considering buying it (or a big cheap sale)

BeamNG Drive.jpg

BeamNG: Drive has received a substantial update containing a considerable number of fixes and optimizations as well as a new vehicle and location for players to enjoy.

So what is BeamNG: Drive? Well basically its all about driving a selection of different cars / trucks / vans / buses / lorries and anything else you could possibly think of and then crashing them in spectacular style and enjoying the damage it causes. It's a bit like public server racing I suppose.

BeamNG: Drive is an open world vehicle simulator featuring a highly developed soft-body physics engine capable of simulating every component of a vehicle in real time. Offering realistic, dynamic behaviour with an authentic driving feel and detailed accident simulation and playable across a number of mini games such as police chases, stunt challenges, and other specialized missions the game offers something a little bit different and entertaining when you just want to get away from serious racing for a little while.

From BeamNG: Drive's own site:

"Our main focus is on how things move rather than how things look on the screen. We aim to bring our expertise in real time soft-body physics and soft-body physics model design to the forefront of game physics simulation, making available the technology and know-how to as a wide an audience as possible. To achieve this, we are designing the engine and corresponding assets, so as to be independent of the underlying game engine and operating system.
Right now the physics engine is running on a multicore CPU configuration, but we are also in the process of supporting GPUs via OpenCL"

Although currently only available in single player mod at this stage, BeamNG: Drive is an interesting title that is well supported by the team behind the scenes and has a vibrant modding community. This game is surely one to look out for in 2016.

Introducing Utah video:

Introducing Ibishu Miramar video:

Changelog:

Physics
  • Reduced memory usage of physics core
  • Added getAirDensity and getAirDensityAtSeaLevel functions to vehicle LUA
  • Added beamLimitDampRebound option to bounded beams
  • Increased stability of clutch at high torque situations (most visible at low gears)
  • G-meter z-sensor does non-inertial measurements
  • Fixed denormal constants in vehicle LUA
  • Fixed incorrect parsing of some ground model properties
Vehicles
  • Added ‘BlastR’ skin for 200BX
  • Added ‘Camo’ skin for D- and H-Series
  • Updated ‘Group4’ skin for Bolide
  • Added white steel wheels to T-Series
  • Added D25 and H25 pickup and van configurations with medium duty suspension parts
  • Added new turbocharger options for T-Series, ranging from 300 to 400 horsepower
  • Added bull bar to D-Series/H-Series/Roamer
  • Added bug shield and front lip to D-Series
  • Added rally lights to Covet and ’88 Pessima
  • Added new custom off-road wheels
  • Added welded differential option to Burnside
  • Added tow hitch to all cars
  • Added ‘Weight Multiplier’ tuning to metal box
  • 200BX: Fixed beams deforming too much when trying to set alignment. Improved setup of 200BX drift (should hold drift angle more easily)
  • Barstow: New leaf spring design. Improved steering geometry
  • Burnside: New leaf spring design. Increased body and frame stiffness
  • Covet: Improved stiffness of body parts
  • D-Series/H-Series/Roamer: New leaf spring design front and rear. Improved rigidity of van rear door opening. Reduced D15 frame stiffness for more accurate twist. Made spindles non removable. Fixed HD fuel tank not igniting. Improved stiffness of cargo box and flatbed
  • ETK800: Increased clutchtorque ~10%
  • Sunburst: Made rally lights functional/breakable
  • Pigeon: increased power of base engine
  • T-Series: Separated wheels/tires. New leaf spring design. Fixed large breakGroups/deformGroups causing lag in crashes. Improved stiffness of visor and air horns on the cab
  • Made radiators much stronger and less susceptible to damage from bottoming out
  • Fixed some self-collision instability on some cars
  • Changed shock absorbers to use advanced damping (fast/slow bump/rebound) (on some cars, WIP)
  • Changed bump stop damping to work on compression only (on some cars, WIP)
  • New camera options added to all vehicle jbeams
  • Fixed some broken tire pressure variables (tuning menu was not affecting the tire)
  • Reworked torque curves with more realistic friction and braking properties
  • Fixed some tires still having mesh breaking disabled. Was causing mesh stretching
  • Fixed Civetta wheels becoming unstable on other cars
  • Removed “propulsed” arguments from vehicle jbeams. Was causing problems when wheels or differentials were removed
General Bugfixes
  • Reduced game startup time a lot by only loading the editor things when actually using them
  • Reduced zbias on decals and roads
  • Reduced grass desity on non-High graphic settings, added a slice toa select custom values.
  • Reduced memory usage on level load
  • Optimizations to reduce map loading time
  • Fixed the game not downloading a mod via the scheme URL when not started first
  • Fixed nodegrabber strength randomly set to zero or other values (was changing while user scrolled through UI menus)
  • Fixed broken meshes when using recovery mode
  • Fixed broken Lua functions: serialize, path.split
  • Game Engine extensions now use subfolders
  • Silenced logging a lot – making it easier to spot the important things
  • Logging on vehicle loading is only enabled if Advanced mode is switched on
  • Improved Bananbench output
  • Added welded differential option to Burnside
  • Added tow hitch to all cars
  • Added ‘Weight Multiplier’ tuning to metal box
  • 200BX: Fixed beams deforming too much when trying to set alignment. Improved setup of 200BX drift (should hold drift angle more easily)
  • Barstow: New leaf spring design. Improved steering geometry
  • Burnside: New leaf spring design. Increased body and frame stiffness
  • Covet: Improved stiffness of body parts
  • D-Series/H-Series/Roamer: New leaf spring design front and rear. Improved rigidity of van rear door opening. Reduced D15 frame stiffness for more accurate twist. Made spindles non removable. Fixed HD fuel tank not igniting. Improved stiffness of cargo box and flatbed
  • ETK800: Increased clutchtorque ~10%
  • Sunburst: Made rally lights functional/breakable
  • Pigeon: increased power of base engine
  • T-Series: Separated wheels/tires. New leaf spring design. Fixed large breakGroups/deformGroups causing lag in crashes. Improved stiffness of visor and air horns on the cab
  • Made radiators much stronger and less susceptible to damage from bottoming out
  • Fixed some self-collision instability on some cars
  • Changed shock absorbers to use advanced damping (fast/slow bump/rebound) (on some cars, WIP)
  • Changed bump stop damping to work on compression only (on some cars, WIP)
  • New camera options added to all vehicle jbeams
  • Fixed some broken tire pressure variables (tuning menu was not affecting the tire)
  • Reworked torque curves with more realistic friction and braking properties
  • Fixed some tires still having mesh breaking disabled. Was causing mesh stretching
  • Fixed Civetta wheels becoming unstable on other cars
  • Removed “propulsed” arguments from vehicle jbeams. Was causing problems when wheels or differentials were removed
  • Fixed broken Ground models: Attributes had typos. Added error checking for that to prevent similar problems in the future
  • Improved compatibility for vehicles with no camera or refnodes: will spawm simple orbit cam now
  • Improved support for really long log messages.
  • Console window placement saving/restoring working a lot better
  • Fixed null audio provider selected by default
Terrains / Scenarios
  • Soft bushes
  • Updated Jungle Rock Island to use soft vegetation like Utah
  • Fixed some incorrect terrain materials on roads in East Coast USA
  • Fixed bridge on Jungle Rock Island destroying tires
  • Updated Puregrid sky settings and texture
  • Fixed water visuals on some levels with lowest render quality settings
Input
  • Added customizable force feedback update rate limiter, ranging from 30Hz up to 2KHz (see Controls > Force Feedback menu)
  • Revamped Force Feedback UI app, showing all information related to rate control and force limiters
  • Added tentative fix for Logitech G29 and Logitech G920 force feedback behaving erratically on some computers
  • Added support for force feedback linear response correction curves, with force deadzone detection (see Controls > Force Feedback menu)
  • Added default force feedback response curve for Logitech G27
  • Fixed camera drift when using certain controllers
  • Fixed vehicle-specific bindings not working in scenarios
  • Fixed gamepad menu navigation not working correctly in Controls menu
  • TrackIR support added, simply start the software then the game, should simply wor
User Interface
  • Increased damage messages duration, so they don’t go unnoticed
  • Updated game credits
  • Minor app improvements
  • Fixed highlighting in Partconfig
  • More Mod distinctions in Modmanager
  • Added option to disable the steering wheel prop by default
  • Added option for ‘competitive scenario conditions’: will allow to change vehicles etc during scenarios
  • Improved unit system (interesting for mod creation)
Misc
  • Added plan-merging to AI (used by flee AI)
  • Fixed nodegrabber not working if CEF development console was open (‘-cefdev’ parameter)
  • Improved recovery system, will recover faster and faster if you press the key for longer
  • Added notice when user has reached beginning of recovery path
  • Support connecting multiple Android phones via the Remote Control App
JBeam / Lua
  • Added option to toggle preheating for the thermal simulation
  • Oil thermostat is analog now
  • Oil heating tweaked, oil should overheat more easily now if the rest of the engine is too hot
  • Torque curve app displays flywheel values now instead of raw jbeam inputs, fixed various bugs with the app
  • Fixed turbo torque curve calculation not being correct sometimes
  • Improved beam debug visibility and added deformgroup mode
  • Improved shifting strategies and launch behavior
  • Added oil starvation logic: when a car is upside down, the engine is going to be starved of oil eventually
  • Physics ID refactor: objects now have an identifier that is global and supposed to be used everywhere: vehicle:getID()
Modding changelog
  • Scenarios with custom extensions need to correct their paths to “extension/scenario/*”
  • Deprecated textures with size non-power of 2 or smaller than 16 pixels.
  • Deprecated non gpu compressed texture formats.
BeamNG Utah 2.jpg BeamNG Utah 3.jpg BeamNG Utah 4.jpg BeamNG Utah.jpg BeamNG Drive '88 Pessima.jpg BeamNG Drive Covet.jpg BeamNG Drive Group 4.jpg

Have you tried the game yet? Does this style of game appeal to you? What do you think of the title? What is your favourite mod? Let's discuss in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was waiting for RaceDepartment to comment on BeamNG! I bought the game a while ago and it has improved a lot. It's really fun and damage model looks pretty cool (can't say accurate since I'm not an expert but when you crash, the car gets observable and predictable damage). So whenever you feel like crashing a car at 200mph straight into a wall, BeamNG is the perfect choice, it will definitely satisfy you.

I always watch BeamNG videos wishing its damage model being implemented in a Racing sim.
I still don´t know if it´s a real game or a showcase protoype physics engine.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 90 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 64 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 99 14.0%