BeamNG.drive

I'd reccomend to all of you who got BeamNG to also buy Automation: it's almost 2 months i'm not playing any other simulator because if i want to drive something, i can litterally build it in automation and then drive it in BeamNG.
You can find some of the cars i built here:

the silhouette and the supertouring car packs are also on the repository, wich will automatically keep them updated for you.

The only defect is that Automation only has semi-slick tires, so you cannot go too far with downforce otherwise the tires will be overloaded and the handling becomes quite twitchy

MAJOR UPDATE: 2021 Winter release v0.24

NEW UI EDIT.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck obtaining a good FFB configuration with BeamNG on either of the Fanatec DD wheel bases. For the life of me I can seem to find the combination of in game and wheel base settings to feel right. I was a bit surprised that fanatec doesn't provide their usual baseline recommended config however I also know this is not a traditional "racing" game. But It's rather popular and has a lot of fun to offer if you can get it dialed in. From what I understand their recent updates have provided a big improvement with FFB so I would love to get it dialed in. Thanks for any input on the topic.

Most likely too late to help you, but may help someone else, so here's my suggestion based on my experience with Simucube 2 Sport FFB:

On the wheel drivers i use the same exact settings i use for other sims (as you can see i don't like too filtered FFB):
- reconstruction filter 4
- friction 1%
- damping 7%
- inertia 0%

In beamNG settings you can adjust force and damping BUT you have to remember: this is a soft-body simulation, the whole steering column can flex, so you should actually use game's damping to prevent it from oscillating, differently from other sims, increasing it from the wheel driver won't get you to the same result. I had force 120/damping 140 before today's patch, patrch notes suggest it might be worth trying to play a bit with those values since there was a FFB update that should make less damping needed. Will make a new post in the next days when I can get some time to drive with my new settings if i feel any change is needed.

Last edited:
I had force 120/damping 80 before today's patch, patrch notes suggest it might be worth trying to play a bit with those values since there was a FFB update that should make less damping needed.
It's now often possible to reduce damping by a good 10-50% depending on the steering wheel (but your mileage may vary, we've only tested so many steering wheels). In turn, less damping will mean a slightly faster response too.

It's now often possible to reduce damping by a good 10-50% depending on the steering wheel (but your mileage may vary, we've only tested so many steering wheels). In turn, less damping will mean a slightly faster response too.

May i ask what would you suggest for a direct drive? I only tested with a 280MM lighteweight formula wheel and actually found that i have to use force 100/smoothing110 to avoid violent vibrations when locking wheels at slow speed in racecars, it will most likely be different when testing with bigger round wheels, but a separate setting for vibrations might be usefull (just a low-pass filter might be enough, i too feel like 110 smoothing is too much with the new FFB being already smoother than previously at speed).

BTW i got my old settings wrong, i had 120 force and 140 smoothing, edited the previous post

Last edited:
May i ask what would you suggest for a direct drive? I only tested with a 280MM lighteweight formula wheel and actually found that i have to use force 100/smoothing110 to avoid violent vibrations when locking wheels at slow speed in racecars, it will most likely be different when testing with bigger round wheels, but a separate setting for vibrations might be usefull (just a low-pass filter might be enough, i too feel like 110 smoothing is too much with the new FFB being already smoother than previously at speed).

BTW i got my old settings wrong, i had 120 force and 140 smoothing, edited the previous post
My experience with DD is quite limited. And also, my preferences are a bit uncommon, as I value directness and responsiveness way, WAY above a smooth response. I don't care if I get some vibration through to my hands, as long as the main signal is good.

With that in mind, I have my sw20 drivers configured with the least possible amount of filtering/posteffects/etc. Everything that I can turn off, or set to be as linear as possible, is set like that. I always play on full force (25Nm).

Then in beamng, it behaves quite well at around 90 strength, and 0 to 20 smoothing. The smoothing depends on the vehicle, there's no single value that can be optimized for all vehicles (let alone mods). Some vanilla cars have a pretty solid refined balance of chassis flex, tire characteristics and suspension/bushings design (such as the K-series), which allows driving no smoothing. Others vehicles, however, require 10 to 20 smoothing that softens vibrations (such as during threshold braking, or locking wheels as you mentioned).

My experience with DD is quite limited. And also, my preferences are a bit uncommon, as I value directness and responsiveness way, WAY above a smooth response. I don't care if I get some vibration through to my hands, as long as the main signal is good.

With that in mind, I have my sw20 drivers configured with the least possible amount of filtering/posteffects/etc. Everything that I can turn off, or set to be as linear as possible, is set like that. I always play on full force (25Nm).

Then in beamng, it behaves quite well at around 90 strength, and 0 to 20 smoothing. The smoothing depends on the vehicle, there's no single value that can be optimized for all vehicles (let alone mods). Some vanilla cars have a pretty solid refined balance of chassis flex, tire characteristics and suspension/bushings design (such as the K-series), which allows driving no smoothing. Others vehicles, however, require 10 to 20 smoothing that softens vibrations (such as during threshold braking, or locking wheels as you mentioned).
thanks for the suggestion, i also try to use filters as low as possible, but knowing a bit about digital signal processing , i understand the need of some damping and low-pass in wheel drivers.
My issue with beamNG as I said are the violent vibration you can sometimes get in near-still situations, since i mainly do drifting and rally, I want to try to avoid them otherwise i risk to hurt my hands/wrists. This exspecially happens with automation cars and, as expected, with low-weight and stiff ones.

IMHO even just having an (adjustable in strength) low-pass on FFB when below 20km/h would solve the issue and allow me to lower damping

EDIT: i tried to lower ingame smoothing with various cars, that's my experience:
-heavy cars are good even with 10 smoothing
-more stiff heavy cars are still good at 10, but need about 30 to prevent vibration
-drift/race version of light cars need at least 50 smoothing to prevent vibrations
-the cars i usually use to test FFB - automation or mod stiff ones - still need 100+ smoothing to prevent very bad oscillations

what I now think after testing is that your tire solver actually "explodes" because the tire starts to resonate at high slip angles, the reason i got to think this is because it happens even at high speeds when the lateral OR longitudinal slip angles get very high, and it also happens when only rear wheels are slipping (0% lateral accel in FFB set).
Also noticed that reaching soft lock steering spot worsened the issue, it might need some more damping to it

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestion, i also try to use filters as low as possible, but knowing a bit about digital signal processing , i understand the need of some damping and low-pass in wheel drivers.
My issue with beamNG as I said are the violent vibration you can sometimes get in near-still situations, since i mainly do drifting and rally, I want to try to avoid them otherwise i risk to hurt my hands/wrists. This exspecially happens with automation cars and, as expected, with low-weight and stiff ones.

IMHO even just having an (adjustable in strength) low-pass on FFB when below 20km/h would solve the issue and allow me to lower damping
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Have you felt this problem being specially bad in some particular car variants? If so, which?

(this might really be a softbody physics issue, rather than a FFB issue: if re-engineering some car variants stabilizes their chassis/suspensions/rubber, we'll prefer that solution, rather than trying to mask issues via ffb postprocessing)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Have you felt this problem being specially bad in some particular car variants? If so, which?

(this might really be a softbody physics issue, rather than a FFB issue: if re-engineering some car variants stabilizes their chassis/suspensions/rubber, we'll prefer that solution, rather than trying to mask issues via ffb postprocessing)
I edited the post above, but it seems more related to car's weight and stiffness than which car i was using, i used at least one of the game's car and a (reposditory, good quality) mod i remembered to be problematic in previous patch for each category described.
For example the Prasu mod used to have bad oscillations, but now is good with 30 damping.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed feedback @hotak . As for mods, unfortunately their (physical) design is out of our control, we cannot fix it from the simulation side. It's rare for modders to have the time required to tune suspensions for ffb feel, so unfortunately it's quite normal that those vehicles can exhibit more issues than vanilla cars.

Thanks for the detailed feedback @hotak . As for mods, unfortunately their (physical) design is out of our control, we cannot fix it from the simulation side. It's rare for modders to have the time required to tune suspensions for ffb feel, so unfortunately it's quite normal that those vehicles can exhibit more issues than vanilla cars.
I understand, what i meant is that to me it doesn't seam to depend on chassis,the 200BX and the pessima both had the problem in their stiffer configs, and it seems to correlate more with tire slip angle than any other thing (Its very high frequency - which i thinks make it less present on wheels with less responsiveness than a SC2 - would also point to tires or chassis oscillations)

• Deleted member 963434

still biggest issue to drift in beam.ng is not ffb ting but physicks thing.. i mean i didnt check updated ffb yet but as last time i played couple days ago.. you cant drift in beamng its much harder than real life and its not only cause of lack of ffb but physicks is worst than iRacing yo got so small window to catch slide good it either have grip or dont have it and its hard to stay in the middle. but i must check update once it download

still biggest issue to drift in beam.ng is not ffb ting but physicks thing.. i mean i didnt check updated ffb yet but as last time i played couple days ago.. you cant drift in beamng its much harder than real life and its not only cause of lack of ffb but physicks is worst than iRacing yo got so small window to catch slide good it either have grip or dont have it and its hard to stay in the middle. but i must check update once it download
try any default old muscle car, the 200BX drift config from the "CJD special tunes" mod or the hirochi prasu mod, the latter is REALLY good for drifting in almost any config.
To me it's only second to RF2 for drifting.

EDIT: there's a video of me drifting some cars i made in automation (automation cars are rarely the best for anything, but really fun to make). That's from about 3 months ago, just to show you can actually drift ;)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

try any default old muscle car, the 200BX drift config from the "CJD special tunes" mod or the hirochi prasu mod, the latter is REALLY good for drifting in almost any config.
To me it's only second to RF2 for drifting.

EDIT: there's a video of me drifting some cars i made in automation (automation cars are rarely the best for anything, but really fun to make). That's from about 3 months ago, just to show you can actually drift ;)
i see but you still hit wall, if you drift so good in beam.ng yo could just go real life and youll drift even better than in game if you have courage to do it of course. but still drifting in real life much easier than beam.ng i do many drifts daily in my bmw e36 on wet surface and its so much easier i cannot replicate my drifts in game its funny thing
but also i see AC similar thing if you try to drift road car its harder than real life and if yo drift drift car i think it may be easier than real life

i see but you still hit wall, if you drift so good in beam.ng yo could just go real life and youll drift even better than in game if you have courage to do it of course. but still drifting in real life much easier than beam.ng i do many drifts daily in my bmw e36 on wet surface and its so much easier i cannot replicate my drifts in game its funny thing
but also i see AC similar thing if you try to drift road car its harder than real life and if yo drift drift car i think it may be easier than real life
That video was made while tuning some cars i made in automation, no the best ones phisics wise; as I said above 200BX CJD Special and hirochi prasu are the go-to cars for nice and easy drifting, unfortunately no sim is 100% correct at high slip angles, but rfactor2 and beamng are the best at that IMHO

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

i see they kinda improved ffb or it just me thinking?
also why beam ng dont have own subforum here?
i must tell you word cause maybe there people that dont know there is a mod called BeaMP and it makes game multiplayer. you can just drive on cities or there are racing servers with mods, i just downloading nordschleife mod for server i connecting and currently 6 people driving there i see, ported track from AC NORSCHLEIFE you can drive online in b eam ng and i see it 60+ spots in server . imagine that many people crashing xD

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back