BeamNG.drive

I just don't get it :O_o: What is the point of the game? To drive around and... ?

It simply seems like self-indulgence on the part of the developers. I understood the point of Rigs of Rods - it was a physics sandbox, a simulator, but when they branched off into BeamNG it just seemed to lose any purpose, other than to crash into things and marvel at the visual effect.

I can see it being mildy amusing for about 10 minutes, but after that, no - I'm 46 years old and no longer pretend to crash my Matchbox cars into each other :rolleyes:

I enjoy driving around on real world roads with proper physics on surfaces that vary from tarmac to dirt (which in BeamNG seems well done) For me this is the appeal. GTA sized level with realistic physics and nicely implemented FFB. The crashing while amusing is the least interesting part of BeamNG to me.

There are also pre made scenarios you can drive in as well, several police chase missions. I've always wanted a driving sim with massive driving environment and realistic physics. This is as close as we have to that at the moment.

Its one reason why I love circuits in AC such as Nords, Feldbergring, LA Canyons and hill climb roads. I want real world driving, traditional race tracks aren't terribly interesting to me at this point. I've been sim racing off and on for almost 20 years. Its another reason why I prefer street cars to race cars.

About 29 seconds in when I slam on the brakes the momentum of the car causes it to slide up the hill after I locked up the brakes, this felt extremely realistic to me. Subtle things like this get my attention

https://steamcommunity.com/games/284160/announcements/detail/1812042577546506712

04a4e606cb13effe7f1203e067fcce7690dace0f.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/games/284160/announcements/detail/1617266323451754825

715b80bb37cc0fe1208591fa87b3bef4b3787c10.jpg

With the long weeks of winter coming to an end we're ready to release our update to bring BeamNG.drive to version 0.16. This release sees several improvements and additions to the game. We are releasing our first fully electric vehicle for BeamNG.drive, the eSBR. In addition to being fitted with an electric drivetrain and battery system it has also been given a major facelift, giving it an appropriately modern look and feel. Our team has had a lot of fun pushing this car to its limits and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Italy is also receiving some additions, as promised when we launched 0.15 in December 2018. We have completed the port area of the main city, added the small coastal village of Portino and improved the appearance of the airport, fortress and castle. Italy is now also dotted with petrol stations and electric charging facilities as well as having several new offroad trails for you to explore. The local residents are also happy to have access to a new hospital and the protection afforded by fire and police stations.

Under the hood the team has continued to optimise several areas of the game. We now have a UI that can render up to 60fps. Optimisations to our physics engine have resulted in performance gains of up to 10%. Combined with improvements to the rendering engine that have reduced stuttering, your driving experience should become a lot smoother.

On the audio side of things, we are releasing support for 5.1 surround sound. The team has also been hard at work to bring scrape effects, transmission whine and a new dynamic muffling parameter into the game to continue the work of making our cars sound as good as they handle. Work on tuning these new effects is still on-going so expect to hear improvements in the coming releases.

This release also includes new and tweaked game scenarios, enhancements to several vehicles and a bunch of bug fixes and quality of life improvements. The full changelog can be found below. We hope you enjoy the results of the team's hard work and as usual please let us know what you think on the forums!

Hello everyone,
Thought I would fire up BeamNG and found this fantastic Rock Crawler...Engine Audio is fantastic, FFB is ok as well and Physics feel believable as well...so I was pleasantly surprised when i drove it around in 'Free Roam'
0 BeamNG ROCK CRAWLER copy.jpg
1 BeamNG ROCK CRAWLER copy.jpg

2 BeamNG ROCK CRAWLER copy.jpg
3 BeamNG ROCK CRAWLER copy.jpg
3a BeamNG ROCK CRAWLER copy.jpg
4 BeamNG ROCK CRAWLER cockpit copy.jpg
5 BeamNG ROCK CRAWLER water copy.jpg
6 BeamNG ROCK CRAWLER water copy.jpg

Last edited:
Update v0.19.3

Vehicles

• Gavril D-Series
    • Adjusted Rusty skin to better fit the updated skin UV. This skin is currently a placeholder and will be replaced eventually.
    • Fixed dually fender flare collision issue
    • Fixed typo in D10 bed cap glass part name
    • Fixed typo in Custom Classic configuration description
    • Added locking differentials and heavy-duty brakes to the D10 Zeta configurations
  • Gavril Roamer
    • Added center stoplight for barn doors
    • Tweaked shape of front wheel arches
    • Fixed incorrect transmission designations for LXT-35 configurations
  • Burnside Special
    • Fixed selected color not properly applying when spawning V8 manual configuration
  • Ibishu 200BX
    • Fixed sport intake not correctly modifying engine torque
  • Ibishu Hopper
    • Fixed exhaust sound remaining muffled when the exhaust is detached
  • Hirochi Sunburst
    • Fixed collision issue with window frames
  • Autobello Piccolina
    • Added transmission designation to Tricolore configuration name
  • Ibishu Pigeon
    • Fixed collision issue with tailgate
    • Added rear suspension hard limiters to reduce wheels clipping through arches
    • Strengthened axle anti-wrap effect of leaf springs to allow for harder launches without breaking the driveshaft
  • Common
    • Fixed instability in 15x7 rally wheels causing them to break off when steering
    • Fixed 15x10 Sport Front Tires being invisible and having an incorrect part name
  • Temporary fix for Barstow and Moonhawk 'Old Paint' skins
  • Fixed old lightbar having inverted deformgroups
  • Fixed some typos in the D-Series configurations
  • Fixed Italian (modern and old) license plate specular using default font instead of right one

Levels

• East Coast USA
    • Added 2 new Time Trials: 'Sawmill Long' and 'Sawmill Short'

• Changed start time of day to morning
  • Organized common art folder, moved races assets into a separate folder, removed some duplicates

Scenarios

• Fixed vehicle spawning partially inside a rock in Senseless Destruction's "Bridge" scenario

UI

• Updated locales

Physics

• Another fix for game crashes when resetting a burning vehicleUpdated locales

World Editor

• Improvements to PathCam Tool interface, added button to set the camera FoV from a marker
  • Improvements to ScriptAI Manager columns, adjusted size of buttons

I just purchased BeamNG from Steam and have only 2 hours of sim time to decide whether to keep it or return it.

My first quick (13 minute) look made it clear that it has a very unique (as in confusing) UI. So, I'm hoping that someone here can either help me out or link me to a "Getting Started" tutorial of some sort.

Specifically, I'm having trouble setting my controllers up (TS PC-Racer and Fanatec Pedals). I can't get the paddle shifters to work and the steering is completely out-of-control (ie - too sensitive). If I can get my control scheme to a usable state, I can probably figure out the rest.

So, can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back