Bad FPS only in Cockpit view

Hi guys,

2 months ago I updated my graphic card from a GTX 780 to a RTX 2070
I was really sad to see that I have worth performence with the new card on R3E

Shortly I noticed that I have 45 FPS with 25 cars using the cockpit view!
When I use the outside camera (third person), I got 60 FPS!

Do you know why?

I tried to re-installed the game, delete the "my documents/raceroom" folder and create it again via Steam etc...nothing helps...

maybe it's a well-known issue?

Thank you

@cedric I have a GTX 2070 installed in my PC. My display is 1440p 144 HZ Gsync.

RaceRoom graphics settings: Auto, vSync off.

I set up a practice session at Mid-Ohio with 25 AI cars. The frame rate (from Gsync Experience) was over 100 FPS.

What cpu do you have? Did you change anything when changing the graphics card like running a bigger ai field, raising the graphics settings (especially shadows or reflections)?
My guess are two things:
1. You increased your settings and your cpu is limiting now
2. Your 2070 is not running in 3D mode because raceroom doesn't use it enough. Go into the nvidia settings and put the energy Mode for raceroom to "prefer maximum performance" instead of "optimal".

@cedric I have a GTX 2070 installed in my PC. My display is 1440p 144 HZ Gsync.

RaceRoom graphics settings: Auto, vSync off.

I set up a practice session at Mid-Ohio with 25 AI cars. The frame rate (from Gsync Experience) was over 100 FPS.

I think I have to solve a problem with my monitor. At the moment my 2070 is connected to my 120hz/1080p monitor with an HDMI cable (I would prefer the display port cable but my monitor doesn't have any display port output)

What cpu do you have? Did you change anything when changing the graphics card like running a bigger ai field, raising the graphics settings (especially shadows or reflections)?
My guess are two things:

1. You increased your settings and your cpu is limiting now
2. Your 2070 is not running in 3D mode because raceroom doesn't use it enough. Go into the nvidia settings and put the energy Mode for raceroom to "prefer maximum performance" instead of "optimal".

1- I upgrade my GPU but not the CPU: I have an Intel Core i7-3770K, 4 x 3.50GHz.
in comparison, I run ACC with max graphics at 60 FPS without any problem.

With my old GTX 780 I could run 20 ia cars in RRE with max graphic options (only the mirror were on middle)

2- I already did this change

Do you think (as said above) that my HDMI cable is responsible for these bad performances?
I was connected with DVI with my old GTX 780.

I think I have to solve a problem with my monitor. At the moment my 2070 is connected to my 120hz/1080p monitor with an HDMI cable (I would prefer the display port cable but my monitor doesn't have any display port output)
This doesn't make much sense.
Gsync = display port.
So you either didn't find the display port or your monitor has no gsync.
Can you tell us what monitor you have exactly?

Via hdmi you can't run gsync so you have no syncing at the moment and therefore stutter.

You said you have lower fps though, which has nothing to do with the monitor or anything. It's only down to the performance of cpu and gpu.
Or a fps limiter or vsync.

Your cpu should be fine like you said... This is a bit strange I have to say...

Especially since you say it's only the cockpit view... The cockpit view has more shadows so gpu load is a bit higher and the cpu needs to work more too.
But if you didn't change the graphics settings, it shouldn't become worse...

This doesn't make much sense.
Gsync = display port.
So you either didn't find the display port or your monitor has no gsync.
Can you tell us what monitor you have exactly?

Via hdmi you can't run gsync so you have no syncing at the moment and therefore stutter.

You said you have lower fps though, which has nothing to do with the monitor or anything. It's only down to the performance of cpu and gpu.
Or a fps limiter or vsync.

Your cpu should be fine like you said... This is a bit strange I have to say...

Especially since you say it's only the cockpit view... The cockpit view has more shadows so gpu load is a bit higher and the cpu needs to work more too.
But if you didn't change the graphics settings, it shouldn't become worse...

I always cap my FPS to 60 FPS, it's more stable, so yes I use Vsync. I tried to desactivate Vsync and then I have stutters.

My monitor is: IIYAMA Prolite G2773HS, 1ms, 120 Hz

I always cap my FPS to 60 FPS, it's more stable, so yes I use Vsync. I tried to desactivate Vsync and then I have stutters.

My monitor is: IIYAMA Prolite G2773HS, 1ms, 120 Hz
Thanks.
It has 120 Hz but no g-sync. So without vsync you will have stutters.
Your 3770k sadly won't be able to run at stable 120 fps for 120 hz vsync.

What you can do however is to put your Monitor to 120 Hz and activate vsync. You probably did this already.
That way you will run "half vsync", which improves the clarity :)

Sorry btw, I mixed the messages and thought you would've said that your monitor is gsync. You didn't...

Anyway, my points stand. Without gsync you will always see stuttering without vsync. At least I do.. Some people say they don't...
Only at above 150 fps I don't see stutters anymore. Or better said: the stutters become so quick and fast, that it's basically fluent again.

To go back to your problem from the opening post:
Are you sure that you only have 45 fps or was that just meant like "it stutters"?
Because if you get stuttering and only 45 fps although you have vsync active, we have a different problem! :)

Thanks.
It has 120 Hz but no g-sync. So without vsync you will have stutters.
Your 3770k sadly won't be able to run at stable 120 fps for 120 hz vsync.

What you can do however is to put your Monitor to 120 Hz and activate vsync. You probably did this already.
That way you will run "half vsync", which improves the clarity :)

Sorry btw, I mixed the messages and thought you would've said that your monitor is gsync. You didn't...

Anyway, my points stand. Without gsync you will always see stuttering without vsync. At least I do.. Some people say they don't...
Only at above 150 fps I don't see stutters anymore. Or better said: the stutters become so quick and fast, that it's basically fluent again.

To go back to your problem from the opening post:
Are you sure that you only have 45 fps or was that just meant like "it stutters"?
Because if you get stuttering and only 45 fps although you have vsync active, we have a different problem! :)
it depends, I could have 120 FPSwith Vsync in iRacing for example with my GTX 780
Since I have the RTX 2070, the game iRacing detecs a strange resolution: 1911x957 and an ugly game with tearing and stutters !! (although the game is showing 120 Hz!)

As I plugged my new RTX 2070, my monitor didn't give me the choise to have 60Hz or 120Hz. I could choose it with the 780 connected with DVI cable. That's why I had to create a profil with 120 Hz but it seems that the 120 FPS are only there on the desktop...

With the 780, I could choose between 60 or 120Hz in the video settings of R3E. Now with the 2070 and the HDMI cable, I only have 60Hz.

It's really a mess with this cable. I have 120hz on the desktop, but not in game. My colours are as well not the same on the desktop (pure with a good mix) and in game (in game I have too much light and not enough contrast)

Finally, I really don't know why, I have a smooth R3E in third person (with 60Hz) and stutters with only 45-50Hz in Cockpit view...

I sadly have no further clue then... HDMI can introduce strange things if the standards and handshakes on both ends are not working well.
Like my Dell Monitor can run 120 Hz and gsync via Displayport but when I connect it via HDMI I'm locked at 50 Hz.
My TV can be set to 23,24, 50 and 60 Hz. It's a 100 Hz panel but the 100 Hz option is not part of the older HDMI standard that TV has implemented.

I would strongly recommend to get a Displayport to DVI cable/adapter and try again :)

I don't see it mentioned - did you do a clean nVidia driver install as part of the GPU upgrade? If not, I would certainly do that. There's an option directly in the driver to do a clean install if you don't want to do this manually and/or use something like Display Driver Uninstaller.

I sadly have no further clue then... HDMI can introduce strange things if the standards and handshakes on both ends are not working well.
Like my Dell Monitor can run 120 Hz and gsync via Displayport but when I connect it via HDMI I'm locked at 50 Hz.
My TV can be set to 23,24, 50 and 60 Hz. It's a 100 Hz panel but the 100 Hz option is not part of the older HDMI standard that TV has implemented.

I would strongly recommend to get a Displayport to DVI cable/adapter and try again :)

Thanks Ramus for your messages.
I wanted to upgrade my monitor, then I will connect my GPU to the monitor with Displayport.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 425 16.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 285 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 280 11.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 192 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 325 12.7%