Back to default FOV for me in ACC (Warning: long first post...)

I haven't played ACC extensively yet, but yesterday I put in a couple of solid hours and realised what was frustrating the most while driving the Lambo was my insistence in using the mathematically correct FOV for my setup.
I only have one screen, 27" diagonal at 23" from my eyes.
AT 37deg vFOV, track awareness is pretty poor, there's a lot of information missing.
I use the same FOV in Assetto, and the Praga R1 already comes with a very limited FOV because of the cabin design, so I wasn't feeling the reduced detail too much.
But the tracks on ACC seem to contain a lot more visual cues in my peripheral vision, and it really is evident especially when going around tight corners.
I was originally drawn to use the mathematically correct FOV on my single screen setup because of the alleged gain in perception of detail (everything is 1:1 with IRL) and also the alleged "immersion" into the simulation, feeling more connected with the FFB and the car's axial rotation.
I was also wondering why I couldn't remove the on-screen arms and steering wheel since they are a distraction in that kind of setup.
But then it dawned on me. Maybe on a single screen setup those benefits translate into drawbacks, and I started experimenting with camera positioning.
I ended up using the 'follow from behind' camera view and after a brief adjustment period of a few minutes, I realised I was able to connect with the game somewhat, and was starting to enjoying it too.
I then went back to the cockpit camera mode, and default FOV, and the game became enjoyable again.
I guess what I am trying to say is that, ideally, you want VR or triple screen to really immerse yourself and perhaps, that would give you a boost in terms of precision and cornering speed and performance.
But with a single screen, rather than focus on the FOV, I will take advantage of what perhaps is our 'human' ability to perceive the world in 3rd person and still be able to perform the same actions.
Maybe humans posses the ability to 'transpose' their vision, therefore things like controlling a remote control car only takes a period of adjustment, and then we 'connect' back again with the machine.
I found though that for this connection to be the most effective, I now need the on-screen steering wheel and arms: my sight is focused and fixed on the screen, but I can see what the driver can see (I use the 'helmet' camera view now!) and taking advantage of that 'transposition'/3rd person ability, I feel just as immersed in the game: for the illusion to work I still need the screen quite near my face, so that I still perceive some peripheral vision effect and I feel more like seeing the world through the eyes of the virtual driver.
Yes, ideally I would buy a VR headset (I am still on the fence about it though) or a triple screen setup.
But for single screen, I think I'm happy with the '3rd person' view which I don't really struggle to adapt to and I find immersive enough for now.

Last edited:
Yes, ideally I would buy a VR headset
3b596e761dbcb09306543840918c6a7a--coming-out-memes.jpg

We will be waiting for you on the dark side.:D

I ended up using the 'follow from behind' camera view and after a brief adjustment period of a few minutes, I realised I was able to connect with the game somewhat, and was starting to enjoying it too.
Yeah 'follow from behind' camera is pretty neat, you should try it at lower fov too!
I've been driving all racing games from inside view for thousands of hours, but i did try outside at low fov some time earlier, and it was almost as good as in-car one. Learned a thing or two too.

Also congrats on trying out different FoV's, I think it's an important step in developing skills and sense of the car. I'm sure that after some time spent at higher FoV you'll develop better spatial sense. Thou remember to try lower it again after you get comfortable, it should feel more natural, and will definitely give more speed from increased detail.
Also don't be afraid to gradually lower FoV, the "correct mathematical" theory is a trap for cases like yours.

Oh and while VR or Triple screens are great, don't feel discouraged staying on single screen, because it really comes down to experience. I have triples (which i'd probably not switch for VR), but running ACC on a single 24'' monitor at 26'' from eyes (so even worse case than yours) i'm completely comfortable at 35° FoV ... Thou what probably helped my cause was learning drifting with triples in AC.

Yeah 'follow from behind' camera is pretty neat, you should try it at lower fov too!
Thou remember to try lower it again after you get comfortable, it should feel more natural, and will definitely give more speed from increased detail.
Also don't be afraid to gradually lower FoV, the "correct mathematical" theory is a trap for cases like yours.
Oh and while VR or Triple screens are great, don't feel discouraged staying on single screen, because it really comes down to experience. I have triples (which i'd probably not switch for VR), but running ACC on a single 24'' monitor at 26'' from eyes (so even worse case than yours) i'm completely comfortable at 35° FoV ... Thou what probably helped my cause was learning drifting with triples in AC.

Thanks for the advice.

Incidentally as I was experimenting with narrow and wide FOVs, I realised that the apparent distortion I was seeing in iRacing (when I was a member) didn't happen in ACC.
Took a few screenshots and confirmed that to myself: a wider FOV in ACC does not distort objects as much.

After reading this document though, confirming that iRacing and AC/ACC FOVs are different
http://www.edracing.com/share/Field_of_View_Explained.pdf
I am realising that if I lower my FOV, like you said, to something narrower but not too narrow, I should be able to have a better driving experience, combined with ACC's distortion free FOV calculation.

I think a 45deg. vFOV in ACC is acceptable to me, being a half way between the math.lly correct 36 and the default 54.

I am considering the Oculus Rift: I have a reasonably beefy GTX 1070 paired with an 8th gen i5, will I achieve the 90fps at high setting in ACC?

No, but right now I don't think many people, if any, are achieving 90fps on ACC regardless of the hardware, so don't let that dissuade you. But locking it into 45fps ASW works just fine and allows you to crank up some of the settings. Not too high with that gear though, I have a 1070 with an i7 and I run most things on Medium but it still looks good.

I am considering the Oculus Rift: I have a reasonably beefy GTX 1070 paired with an 8th gen i5, will I achieve the 90fps at high setting in ACC?
I have a 1080Ti and I cannot achieve that, at this point, early early access, VR in ACC is functional, good enough to enjoy the driving, but we will know what exactly is needed for what in a little while.
Surely ACC is not all you are driving, a 1070 is good enough to enjoy VR in most title with decent settings.
90fps is nice but , to me, ASW 45fps is as nice, cannot see the difference, only know what is what if I have fps counter running.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 428 16.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 286 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 280 10.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 194 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 328 12.8%