F1 2010 Autosport.com review

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I think the video gives me more of a reason to buy it on PS3 and later on my Steam account. I like the way, they are going with this first game with graphics(alot better than PC sim's), weather, tires, and physic's even though 8 out of 10. I hope 9 or 9.5 out of 10 by F1 2011.

Basically is a justification on why this is not a sim? :D

Codemasters never made sims and I am glad to. I like the simcade style where you don't have to fiddle on the setups for 20 hours to get in shape to do a perfect lap.

If this game will give me the DTM Race Driver 2 feeling back then Codies will make me very very happy :). Hopefully they include some ways to do some aerials and other air time tricks :)

@Atti: Look an ARTA AMG Mercedes :love:

I want this game to be a sim, but by that i dont mean spinning off because of half a MM of throttle distance causing loss of traction. I learned to drive some of the more difficult F1 sims and what anthony said about making the smallest of errors and completely screwing your lap/race is true, the sims can be alot more difficult than the real thing, if the aim is to simulate the real thing then what have you achieved by that.

Dont get me wrong, i learned to play the sims (Rfactor and its various F1 mods) to quite a consistant level and i love them, but it doesn't look like it does on the tv, the car was slower, more twitchy and less stable through corners, with less top end speed (Spa for example) while still feeling like the grip level was nothing compared to the real F1 cars. There are aspects about the current sims that are unrealistic, some in ways that make the car over perform (to some extent on some high downforce tracks), and a lot that make the car underperform or more difficult to drive/less stable (Spa is a perfect example).

Ferrari academy is a great step forward in that it looks more realistic and the grip feels more right, but the car lacks a complex oversteer system and people are almost rallying them around corners to overcome the understeer for a considerable speed advantage. So a step too far in another direction with that sim.

If F1 2010 can place itself inbetween the good points of various F1 sims out there, its probably not that far from the real thing, as the image of formula 1 we get from sims is probably "too unstable/difficult" even if the case is that the cars aren't that hard to drive even when they are unstable.

As long as this game isnt another GRID (which had aweful physics, just horrid, though it was fun) i am going to be happy

I would have to personally agree with Anthony. The sim's sometimes can be harder to drive than real cars. Either way you go you still have sim factor(gaming) vs real world factor. I agree with Bigbazz's 2nd paragraph. The review of F1 2010 from insidesimracing say the sense of speed is there!!! Another example of (if race cars are as hard as some try to make it, then they fail to explain, why 14 year olds driving race cars so well without a drivers license?) The harder part is consistent lap times!!!

Remember that in reality a driving license means nothing. All it shows is that on one day, at one time you drove with at least the minimum accepted safety level required for the public roads. It does not mean you are a good driver.

Remember that in reality a driving license means nothing. All it shows is that on one day, at one time you drove with at least the minimum accepted safety level required for the public roads. It does not mean you are a good driver.

Two times WRC champion and Dakar champion Carlos Sainz, passed the driving license exam at his 4th attempt, because he just drive too good at the time (so you break a lot of small rules).

And further than that, european driving license exams are way more difficult that in the US, specially if you have to use manual shifting like it's mandatory in Spain for instance.

About how difficult to drive an F1 is, he is quite experienced with high power cars...

Its the first review ive seen where the team that built the game do the review of their own game with not even the questions asked in the video.
I do agree with Anthony Davidson on one thing and that is that people generally do not do what they work at ,at home for fun in the evening,
however in an F1 game this would only apply to 24 drivers and say another 24 test drivers.
Not really market saturation.
Also the devs have pointed out that it was easier to build a sim and basically make the sim easier (more grip less damage etc) for the average user,but if there is a sim engine at its heart why not allow the user the option of choosing a full sim experience for playing the game if he or she so chooses.
Or a bumper car setting for those looking for that experience from it.
More choice is what i would like from the next title for all types of players.
Graphics look great ,weather looks great,all in all ill be buying as long as the pc reviews are favorable from places i trust.

I seriously doubt they've added more grip. The key thing is how controllable on the limit the car is. Adding more grip if the limit is still very tricky doesn't help much. They have the no damage or cosmetic damage options for bumper car drivers. It is not unusual for sims to have toned down damage - try GT Legends for example or Live for Speed. Even iRacing seems forgiving from some of the race videos I've seen.

Oh i can see the point in lesser difficulties and possibly online,but my point would be, is if you choose the most difficult option the damage is primarily the front wing and the 4 wheels same as on lesser difficulties and it seems necessary to take a huge hit to inflict damage on these parts.
This may not be a damage issue primarily but may be linked to the ai not bing able to coded to a good enough spec to handle this type of damage.
The argument that a previous game only had this, doesn't really hold any water,if it did we would all still be playing 20 year old games in terms of graphics and handling,Inovation should hold true for each game that comes out with each being better than what came before.
Codies have done this in terms of graphics and weather but in a lot of other areas they have gone a step back with no option for a user to reinstate at least what came before eg proper pit control etc.
I have heard their argument that they hadn't enough time to do it justice for the first game,what im hoping is as they have the basic game built now that it is in 2011,if it isnt well i would be wondering what their reasons would be the second time round.

On the whole the game looks very good,i hope i have no reason to reverse my opinion after playing.
Ps one review has put max damage as like bumper cars.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 115 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 90 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 82 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 57 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 121 13.7%