Automobilista Talk & Drive - Ultima GTR with Niels Heusinkveld

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS Ultima GTR - Brands Hatch.jpg

Reiza Studios physics guru Niels Heusinkveld presents a 20 minute "talk and drive" video presentation of the upcoming Ultima GTR for Automobilista, putting the 720hp closed cockpit sports car through its paces around the beautiful Interlagos Formula One track.

The Brit Pack DLC will introduce three renowned UK circuits to Automobilista - Brands Hatch, Oulton Park and Cadwell Park, as well as a selection of popular British club racing vehicles. Caterham will make its debut in the sim, with Reiza producing several variations of the classic manufacturers line of models. Open wheel cars in the form of the Formula Trainer (Formula Ford without the licence), the MCR Sports 2000 and of course the previewed Ultima GTR will also form the first DLC package since AMS reached V1 last month.

Reiza physics guru Niels Heusinkveld, the man behind many of the outstanding cars in AMS, has given fans an early access view of the epic looking Ultima as part of his nice little "talk and drive" videos, putting the machine through its paces around the Brazilian Grand Prix venue at Interlagos. You can check out the full 20 minute video below.

Niels Heusinkveld Talk & Drive 19: Ultima GTR

The Automobilista Brit Pack DLC is due for release on the 27th September, priced at $19.99. Season Pass or Beta Backers will receive the pack at no additional cost.

Check out the Automobilista sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions regarding the simulation. We do mods, setups and awesome racing clubs too, well worth a look for those with an interest in all things Reiza...

Looking forward to the Brit Pack DLC? What piece of content are you most excited about? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
...Not quite sure where you're coming from though Kev, it's not really the case that AMS lack of a strong GT* lineup is making it's other content that much more popular, it's making AMS that less driven online.

It's a tricky problem for sure. AMS has less people online just because it has sold a lot less than AC and to get more sales it seems you need familiar content (GT3/Ferrari/Spa/Nords/etc...) but then it would lose the unique aspect that attracted a lot of us in the first place. Hopefully Reiza can figure that out for their next sim and maybe find some unique content that can also be popular.

It's a tricky problem for sure. AMS has less people online just because it has sold a lot less than AC and to get more sales it seems you need familiar content (GT3/Ferrari/Spa/Nords/etc...) but then it would lose the unique aspect that attracted a lot of us in the first place. Hopefully Reiza can figure that out for their next sim and maybe find some unique content that can also be popular.

You seem very determined in your belief that there's a dichotomy between between familiar content and what you like yet we're in a thread about a DLC car that will be bundled with Brands Hatch in a game already featuring F1. AMS is a good game, I think you'd quite like it even if it did have a car(s) that resonate with more people. :)

If Reiza announced they were adding Spa I would actually be excited because I know that even Reiza would do it better than most devs, not necessarily in terms of the quality but what its offering us as a new piece of content. They've already indicated they plan to do a through the era style of thing with iconic tracks so that means we'd get Spa modern, Spa with the bus stop, and that classic romping Spa that killed so many drivers and for all we know even another version.

I really hope they keep trying to do lesser done stuff though. A Sebring through the ages would be bloody excellent. Reiza seems to be very good at expressing an affection for the history of motorsports in a lot of their content choices and that to me is very exciting because modern is alright, but its also somewhat antiseptic. So much issue exists in modern European FIA tracks as they've gone way over the top making them safe so lots of the character is lost. Harkening back to historic tracks seems to be what Reiza likes to do a lot so that means even if they go for the modern thing they give the nostolgia nerds something to get excited about too.

For car content I'd personally much rather see a full grid licensing of some semi-modern IMSA stuff than a modern European GT series, like classic ALMS or one of the other GT oriented series. I just think if you have to have GT racing North America is the bomb diggity.

You seem very determined in your belief that there's a dichotomy between between familiar content and what you like yet we're in a thread about a DLC car that will be bundled with Brands Hatch in a game already featuring F1. AMS is a good game, I think you'd quite like it even if it did have a car(s) that resonate with more people. :)

Swerving off topic but the problem with trying to sell a load more copies is that you just end up prioritising cars/tracks/features that appeal to the masses so as we see with AC why bother adding rolling starts or proper flags when only 1% of the players want them. Maybe a bit selfish but I like AMS the way it is. ;)

...For car content I'd personally much rather see a full grid licensing of some semi-modern IMSA stuff than a modern European GT series, like classic ALMS or one of the other GT oriented series. I just think if you have to have GT racing North America is the bomb diggity.

Would love to see the Pirelli World Challenge plus some North American circuits or maybe SuperGT and some Japanese tracks. Probably not big sellers but would be cool all the same.

Gonna second P's wish for IMSA content, that would be amazing. Hopefully something AMS 2 can get the ball rolling with. Also, just to reply yet again Kev :), I agree flags and rolling starts etc are great but one should not exclude the other is all I'm saying. And rain, rain too. :D

@P*Funk to be honest, including typical British racing cars is actually quite different and interesting compared to just doing gt 'but American'. I like your idea, but I think creating an entire 'Brit pack' makes a lot of sense given the track licences they already acquired. That said, I would love to see some IMSA stuff too. ;)

@Szymon Olizarowicz Oh for sure, and to be clear I'm not criticizing the existing content in the Brit pack but instead sounding off on the point that we need more mainstream GT stuff. I think Reiza could maintain its tendency to do unexpected content while also meeting that desire for traditional GT series content by doing the IMSA thing which nobody seems to do barring iRacing, sorta.

And to @fortyfivekev 's point interesting GT series from around the world would be neat as well. Still, a Reiza version of Mosport with a multiclass field of IMSA cars would make me wet my pants.

I love where AMS is heading. Great work Reiza! I need to try that GTR! DAMN!*
I still would ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY LOVE to see multi class racing done right in AMS and other sims. I wonder how difficult it is to allow players to create their own multi class of cars, and be classified into their own class like P1 and GT categories. Or is this wishful feature at the very very bottom of sim racing game developers list?

Honestly though, being able to create your own class, give each category of cars their own name and give the entire series it's own name would be amazing both for SP and MP! Imagine F3 and a Fvee series; MR18 and Marcus series; Stock Car V8 and Mini Challenge series just to name a few examples. (I know we can race with any car on track but I want Each group of cars in their own categories/class like real life multi class racing). I might even play more offline racing if this feature was available.

I've attempted to create my own SP offline multi class championship with race07. But too complicated and too much work. I've done MP RD club multi class races online. But at the end of the race only the overall states are shown. Each group of cars should be placed into their own categories. That would be much appreciated!
I hope I'm not the only one who wants this feature in all sims:whistling:

@SOLO59 I'm pretty sure its simple enough to create your own multiclass series. Its just a text file or some such and Reiza already has multi class represented with the Lancer Cup and the Formula 3 Brasil series as both include two classes identified as separate entities within the series when you look at the AI selection part of setting up a session. The game still doesn't properly model the dynamics of multi class racing for AI behavior and I don't think it scores classes exactly how you'd want it to but its enough that you could do it with humans in multiplayer easily enough. Blue flags work and all that.

Obviously if they went out of their way to license a proper multi class endurance race Reiza would likely significantly improve the engine for representing that dynamic both in offline and online format. Still, nothing stopping you from doing it now for the most part.

I love AMS as it is...sort of old school, hard core, no bells and whistles sim'
The cars are important of course; but at the end of the day it is all about the racing.
There are quite a good few cars in AMS that I have not driven yet...I seem to spend a lot of time perfecting, (to the best of my ability), one car at a time.
My go to at he moment is the Formula Vee's...just like their handling so much.
I am looking forward to the Caterham's though as well.
I just hope Reiza don't make a game like AC...just keep it clean and simple track racing as it is.

Some of us will just have to ignore the dreaded Steam Achievements. :(

I just did some laps with the Ultima's around Brands, and let me say that especially the road version is very rewarding, insane aceleration, and with a few adjustments to the brain and to the setup of the car, it becomes very balance, but dam, when driving in the edge, just a single distraction and it bits right in ass! The track version, is from british endurance series, with a beutifull sound, good donwforce, very fast in corners, a proper track weapon, but not as easy to drive as "typical" gt3 car.

Last edited:
cant help but question this car a little bit. car & driver speaks to the confidence the car gives them on track...

"For kicks, we took a few laps on a racetrack and couldn't believe how confident the Ultima GTR made us feel. It is simply a well-engineered and well-built car. In every corner, straight, and braking zone, our test car was rock solid, with absolutely no twitchiness despite our prodigious speeds. We could gush on forever, but the bottom line is we'd sacrifice plenty for a day of track time in the GTR."

in-game this thing is bonkers insane w/out TC...to the degree that i wondered how many steps one would have to take irl to disable it. except that as far as i can tell, it didnt even have it.

For me the only problem with the Ultima road version is when braking, it is to unstable, but when on the power I don't feel the need for a tc, maybe lowering the power in the setup menu it helps. I also have the throttle sensitivity at 10% in the control menu.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 240 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%