Automobilista - How to Set Your Car Up!

Great write-up ... way too much to take in. Brake Map = what value advised ?? Dont think you mentioned.

also i dont see very many setup files available anywhere "Fetch" or otherwise. Do you have some ??

Please advise

Marc

Well done! However, you might want to revise the section on steering lock. Lock is only 1/2 of your total steering rotation when your ratio is 1:1. This a) is not realistic and b) would lead to a horrendous driving experience where you'd have no fine control over steering angle.

Typically, ratios are in the 14-17 range, with "fast racks" being lower, somewhere around 11-12. Of course, these vary wildly and are often variable the farther from center the wheel is turned. To my knowledge, no sim models variable ratios yet.

Taking a race rack at 12.1:1 for example, if you turn your steering wheel 12.1 degrees, the rack with rotate the outside tyre 1 degree. On a 900 degree wheel, you'd need a lock of 37 to achieve the 12.1 ratio. If the car setup screen (or sim in general) allows for a lock setting that high, you'll benefit from having a much wider range of steering per tyre turn degree, allowing for finesse and precision.

Steering lock doesn't seem to come up all that often in the various sim racing communities, and very few mod authors even offer the ratio they were attempting to model. Seeing as how all we really have to go on about how a car "feels" to drive in a sim is the wheel in front of us, the ratio is pretty important. It's likely the biggest impact to a cars driveability and should really be a priority.

Google the ratio of a Caterham 270, head over to http://steeringlockratiocalculator.com and calculate your lock for your desired wheel degrees, and try it out. The difference can be massive.
I agree so how do we adjust steering lock (or left right rotation) and speed there in ? AMS or AC Im all ears !
And what is the second column in AMS 1 AXIX setup that is not labled but seems to be the speed of the Steering left to right ( i notice a red band painted left to right to indicate the speed)
and - "Sensitivity" in the AXIS men differs from "Steering Speed Sensitivity" under Settings ... HOW ??

Last edited:
Hi, I do find difficult to understand how to set the dampeners (bumps and rebounds); may you please tell me if what i write hereunder is correct ?

If car UNDERSTEERS under acceleration while turning
  • Decrease FRONT REBOUND (front will resist extension)
  • Increase REAR BUMP (rear will resist compression)

If car OVERSTEERS under acceleration while turning
  • Decrease REAR BUMP (rear will compress more easily)
  • Increase FRONT REBOUND (front will extend more easily)

If car UNDERSTEERS under braking and turn in
  • Decrease FRONT BUMP (front will compress more easily)
  • Increase REAR REBOUND (rear will extend more easily)

If car OVERSTEERS under braking and turn in
  • Decrease REAR REBOUND (rear will resist extension)
  • Increase FRONT BUMP (front will resist compression)

You have it backwards with rebound.

Increasing rebound = increasing extension resistance.
Increasing rebound is making the extension "stiffer".

Last edited:
thank you for your answer
so does it mean that what I wrote above works the other way around, right?
I found it in this video at minute 3:30
The person who made that video is wrong. Decreasing rebounding (ie. extension) will not resist more, it will resist less. You have to increase rebound to resist more.

higher # = stiffer (i.e. more resistive)
lower # = softer (i.e. less resistive)

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer.
So please help me to have a rule of thumb; what I write now should be correct, do you agree ?

If car UNDERSTEERS under braking and turn in:
  • Decrease FRONT BUMP (front will compress more easily)
  • Decrease REAR REBOUND (rear will extend more easily)

If car OVERSTEERS under braking and turn in:
  • Increase REAR REBOUND (rear will resist extension)
  • Increase FRONT BUMP (front will resist compression)

I am less confident about the following; are they fine ?

If car UNDERSTEERS under acceleration while turning:
  • Increase FRONT REBOUND (front will resist extension)
  • Increase REAR BUMP (rear will resist compression)

If car OVERSTEERS under acceleration while turning:
  • Decrease REAR BUMP (rear will compress more easily)
  • Decrease FRONT REBOUND (front will extend more easily)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back