Automobilista 2 | Update V1.0.1.0 And Hockenheim Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a major new update to Automobilista 2 - including the addition of the awesome former home of the German Grand Prix - Hockenheim.
  • New update adds numerous fixes and improvements.
  • Hockenheim DLC adds 7 layouts, including historic variants
  • Optimal brake temperature added
Everyone likes the idea of powering past the trees of the old Hockenhiem straights from yesteryear, don't they? I certainly do, and seeing as the German track decided to wipe all trace of the iconic former Grand Prix layout from the face of the Earth, we have Reiza Studios to thank for bringing it back alive again in Automobilista 2!

The DLC was released earlier today, and anyone who owned the base Automobilista 2 game prior to DLC launch had the benefit of receiving this awesome piece of content for free - otherwise new players will need to either purchase as a standalone item or part of the season pass offering.

Of course, the DLC is indeed the headline from today, but Reiza have also packed quite the punch with their new game update - addressing many items within the title whilst adding some further refinements and improves as they continue to develop post V1 release. This is very much the beginning of a development journey, with the studio confirming August 7th is slated as the next release date, with "a lot of new content" - so that should keep us busy in the weeks ahead...

You can check out the full update list and note from the studio below:

Host of the German GP 37 times, the Hockenheimring is one of the tracks with the richest heritage in the world of motorsports. Historically known for its bygone classic layout with long straights through the surrounding forests, the track was reformed for the 2002 German GP, becoming much shorter modern circuit but retaining a high speed, flowing nature perfectly suited for wheel-to-wheel racing with all types of cars.

This pack features 4 distinct versions of this legendary track from 4 different decades - 1977, 1988, 2001 and 2020, along with extra modern layouts (National, Short A & B).

This the first DLC to be released for Automobilista 2, and it is FREE to all current AMS2 owners and for those who purchase AMS2 over the weekend (July 24-25-26 2020) - by July 27th the Hockenheimring Pack will be sold as an independent DLC to AMS2, and also as part of the 2020-2021 Season Pass.

For those who have already purchased the Season Pass, be assured its value will be preserved with the addition of a 6th DLC pack to the five originally included in that package.

AMS2 Hockenheim 1.jpg

AMS 2 Hockenheim 4.jpg

Along with the Hockenheimring we are also deploying the first major update post V1 release - similar updates around this time of the month will be a regular fixture for the foreseeable future.

The exception will be in August when we are releasing not one but two two major updates (including a LOT of new content) at the beginning and end of the month.

The next update (scheduled for August 7th) will feature substantial developments to championship mode and introduce portuguese, spanish & french localization.

We remind all users that AMS2 is a long term project that will continue to evolve and expand in a monthly basis for years to come - all fronts of the game will still have major improvements, with a lot of it to make it in before the end of the year. If you want to learn more about what´s incoming make sure to check out our July Development Update next week, where we will expand on these plans including some great content announcements!

AMS 2 Hockenheim 5.jpg

AMS 2 Hockenheim 3.jpg

V1.0.1.0 CHANGELOG:

CONTENT

• Added Hockenheimring 2020 (GP, National & 2 Short layouts)
  • Added Hockenheimring Historic versions (1977, 1988, 2001)
UI & HUD
  • Fixed incorrect logo alignment on initial splash in some resolutions
  • Added Session duration information to In-Race Info Layer
  • Add 'Skip Cooldown Lap' option after race is finished
  • Tweaked text colour and background opacity on timing/delta messages
  • Increased name area on relative positions HUD unit
  • Fixed championship standings screen only displaying first driver
  • Added markers for DLC content
  • Fixed Single Official Championship autoloading.
  • Fixed lower case button labels on pause menu return to pits button.
  • Corrected inconsistent size in Kart thumbnails
  • Fixed Caterham Academy gearbox information
  • Fixed error in Superkart name
  • Slightly improved lighting in showroom
  • Corrected Stock Cruze 2020 Thumbnails
  • Fixed position 6 selecting position 5 vehicle on monitor leaderboard
  • Fixed looping issue when trying to invite players to lobby via steam overlay
  • Added more fonts assets
  • Updated splash screen content logos
  • Added hud colors + HUD class logos for Montana and G55
PHYSICS
  • Implemented optimal brake temp ranges (this adds an optimal brake temperature plateau to the brake response curve, making them slightly less peaky)
  • Revised load damping for all tyres & sidewall & tread stiffness tweaks to F-Retro, F-Reiza, F-V10, F-Ultimate, Caterhams
  • Adjusted F-Classic, F-Trainer, F-Retro & F3 tyre treads
  • Adjusted carcass stiffness for karts & superkarts
  • Reduced carcass heating for Truck tyres
  • Added new Differential hump mode values (this affects how the viscous locking torque varies by fluid temperature inside the diff, reducing locking torque as slip starts to increase the temperature, then virtually seizes with high locking torque as thermal expansion dominates at higher temperatures)
  • Removed air restrictor setup option
  • Reduced front ride height range & default setting, rear brake torque for G55 Supercup
  • Revised rear wing efficiency & distribution for G55, Stock V8 2020 (both models
  • Further adjusted F-Retro aero yaw & rake sensitivity
  • Reduced wheel contact factor (hopefully contributes to excessive collision issues)
  • Slightly increased FFB max force range
  • Fixed Push-to-Pass button being available for Stock Car series in Time Trial mode
  • Fixed wrong default preload following range correction in v1.0.0.3
  • Added antistall clutch to all karts
  • Kart brake heating updates
  • Adjusted Copa Truck tyre temp optimal window
  • Reduced engine inertia for superkart
  • Adjusted head physics (slightly better bump damping in cockpit view)
  • Minor adjustment to MRX & Sigma P1 FFB max force
  • Corrected default wing setting for F-V10, F-V12 (one click more in both ends for both cars)
  • Reduced baseline anti-roll bar stiffness for F-Reiza
  • Opalas: Reduced brake heating, moved default brake bias slightly forwards
  • F-Classic: Small tweak to FFB max force
  • Increased DRS effects for all cars that feature the device
AI
  • Added new AI start logic (AI cars now are more creative off the line in looking for spaces and getting out of single file over first lap)
  • Added opponent names & personalities for F-Ultimate, F-V10, F-V12 drivers
  • Adjusted AI blue flag behaviour to reduce erratic movements when lapped in races
  • Minor AI performance callibration pass for P1, P2 models
  • Slightly reduced AI Grip for Bathurst
  • Revised Classic cars AI performance & throttle application (fixing some inconsistencies added with late pre-release changes)
  • Callibrated AI performance for Copa Fusca, Copa Uno, Copa Clasic, Karts, Caterhams, G55 Supercup series
  • Increased AI effects for DRS
AUDIO
  • Reduced default tire skid & surface volume to 50%
TRACKS
  • Brasilia: Fixed vehicles popup behind the tents at turn 1
  • Cascais Slightly improved performance in replays
  • Guapore: Reduced garage depth (stops AI crashing on pit exit)
VEHICLES
  • Fixed bug in sorting cars of the same class in a quick race grid (now grid is always randomised within same grid grouping value)
  • Fixed Gol & Passat grid grouping in Copa Classic FL & Hot Cars
  • Added Gol wiper animations and cockpit vibrations (all variants)
  • Сhevette: Wiper pivot point correction
  • Added Copa Truck wiper animations and cockpit vibrations (mirrors/window net)
  • Added Puma GTB, GTE,P052, Chevette wiper & cockpit animations
  • Added cockpit animations, wipers & windscreen cleaning animation to ARC Camaro and Passat (all variants)
  • Added suspension animations and cockpit vibrations to F-Classic G3M2
  • Updated Vitor Genz KTF livery
  • Added New Ginetta G58 livery
  • Corrected F309 undercar shadow
  • Corrected cockpit POV for F-Classic G3M2
  • Temporarily disabled some suspension animations fro F-reiza, F-V10, F-v12 and F-Ultimate
  • F.Reiza: Fixed numbering on liveries
  • Updated Formula V10 Gen2 liveries: (2 New Teams - AsiaTech Factory Racing #24 #25 / Dominilab Racing #26 #27) + Updated/Revised #05 #06 #09 #10 #11 #12 #18 #19

Original Source: Reiza Studios

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Have answers? Want to chat about AMS 2 and don't know where to go? Worry not my friend, we have just the place for you! The Automobilista 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment welcomes you with open arms - come say hello!

AMS 2 Hockenheim 2.jpg

Last edited:
To all those “the physics is broken” complaints, Niels Huesinkveld, who knows a thing or two about this stuff doesn’t seem to agree:

He drives ONE car in the game, and the best car at that. At ~40:35 he admits he does not know what realism is (an not many, if any of us do), however, the car he is driving is fantastic, and AMS 2 does get that car right. I don't think anyone says all the cars have bad physics. He does admit it feels different than AMS, and that the FFB is vague. I watched this entire video when it came out, and the last 7 minutes he gives a good summary. But this video in no way discounts some that have complained about physics of some of the cars. I am enjoying the game, and think Reiza will get some of the other cars ironed out, but I am not going to discount others comments on the physics, and I don't think Reiza will either.

" The DLC was released earlier today, and anyone who owned the base Automobilista 2 game prior to DLC launch had the benefit of receiving this awesome piece of content for free - otherwise new players will need to either purchase as a standalone item or part of the season pass offering. "

Can someone explain this to me please?

I have owned the game since EA.
I think this may be talking about the backers of AMS2 (as in people who paid into the development of AMS and AMS 2 - like me) and not people who owned AMS prior to the DLC launch. Backers of a certain level got AMS and DLC plus AMS2 and DLC.

To all those “the physics is broken” complaints, Niels Huesinkveld, who knows a thing or two about this stuff doesn’t seem to agree:

It's easy for somebody who has a direct drive wheel to say everything is hunky dorey but I'm in the camp that AMS2 FF is okay but not wonderful when using a T300. I much prefer AMS1 which is much more in line with the feeling I would expect but hey, I'm happy but not doing cart wheels over AMS2's FFB like some people are on youtube (who also have a DD wheel). This is just my opinion so please don't start a "Hater" war as I'm a gold backer of AMS & AMS2 and love Reiza for what they do but it isn't all "Nirvana" like some people are saying. However, I know you said physics but FFB is what feeds back those physics to the driver.

Did you miss this part in the channel log ?
They give you something for free and make updates to the entire game, while informing you there will be, from what I understood..3 more major updates to come by August.....yet it's not enough for you?

PHYSICS
  • Implemented optimal brake temp ranges (this adds an optimal brake temperature plateau to the brake response curve, making them slightly less peaky)
  • Revised load damping for all tyres & sidewall & tread stiffness tweaks to F-Retro, F-Reiza, F-V10, F-Ultimate, Caterhams
  • Adjusted F-Classic, F-Trainer, F-Retro & F3 tyre treads
  • Adjusted carcass stiffness for karts & superkarts
  • Reduced carcass heating for Truck tyres
  • Added new Differential hump mode values (this affects how the viscous locking torque varies by fluid temperature inside the diff, reducing locking torque as slip starts to increase the temperature, then virtually seizes with high locking torque as thermal expansion dominates at higher temperatures)
  • Removed air restrictor setup option
  • Reduced front ride height range & default setting, rear brake torque for G55 Supercup
  • Revised rear wing efficiency & distribution for G55, Stock V8 2020 (both models
  • Further adjusted F-Retro aero yaw & rake sensitivity
  • Reduced wheel contact factor (hopefully contributes to excessive collision issues)
  • Slightly increased FFB max force range
  • Fixed Push-to-Pass button being available for Stock Car series in Time Trial mode
  • Fixed wrong default preload following range correction in v1.0.0.3
  • Added antistall clutch to all karts
  • Kart brake heating updates
  • Adjusted Copa Truck tyre temp optimal window
  • Reduced engine inertia for superkart
  • Adjusted head physics (slightly better bump damping in cockpit view)
  • Minor adjustment to MRX & Sigma P1 FFB max force
  • Corrected default wing setting for F-V10, F-V12 (one click more in both ends for both cars)
  • Reduced baseline anti-roll bar stiffness for F-Reiza
  • Opalas: Reduced brake heating, moved default brake bias slightly forwards
  • F-Classic: Small tweak to FFB max force
  • Increased DRS effects for all cars that feature the device
There's nothing for free here.

At ~40:35 he admits he does not know what realism is (an not many, if any of us do), however, the car he is driving is fantastic, and AMS 2 does get that car right. I don't think anyone says all the cars have bad physics.

Quite a lot of people claim the game’s physics engine is completely broken, and quite a lot of people claim to know this as fact.

My understanding is that some cars may need to have parameters tuned (which Reiza seem to be doing, but as they have stated many times, it takes time), and as confirmed by Neils, it’s all somewhat subjective. I would rate his opinion above 99.9% of so called experts on forums who’s only experience is driving a road car, playing sims, or the odd track day.

I love this game.. but I can't stand the fact the cars seem to have NOS coming off the corners then brake late and nearly stop dead on corner entry.. who is play testing this game? Oulton Park is particularly bad and it's my fave track..

I agree with the above it's got a way to go before it betters AMS

That's my biggest complaint as well. The AI pretty much come to a dead stop on the apex and then can power out with way more traction then I can manage (Formula Classic Gen 1 and 3 at Hockenheim '77).

AMS2 is like a fine wine, it's going to take a while to mature but you can dip in for a taste every now and then for a bit of fun.

This thread (read pretty much every news thread RD) likes to finely whine, the experts (read Sim Racers who have all driven the real cars on every track in every condition...) say the physics suck without providing any actual data evidence, isn't it brilliant how they can complain so freely whilst not providing even a little bit of information!?

Ergo everyone's an expert, but only the Devs "knows it all".

AMS2 is like a fine wine, it's going to take a while to mature but you can dip in for a taste every now and then for a bit of fun.

This thread (read pretty much every news thread RD) likes to finely whine, the experts (read Sim Racers who have all driven the real cars on every track in every condition...) say the physics suck without providing any actual data evidence, isn't it brilliant how they can complain so freely whilst not providing even a little bit of information!?

I suppose if you are going to put out a game that costs £100 or so, you need to expect a certain amount of attention from the consumers.

BTW the DLC thing, well I have the track in the game, but it WOULD allow me to purchase the DLC if i wasn't paying attention....

Steam should really say that I already own the DLC but it doesn't...pretty sure that will catch at least one person out...

I suppose if you are going to put out a game that costs £100 or so, you need to expect a certain amount of attention from the consumers.

BTW the DLC thing, well I have the track in the game, but it WOULD allow me to purchase the DLC if i wasn't paying attention....

Steam should really say that I already own the DLC but it doesn't...pretty sure that will catch at least one person out...
The base game doesn't cost that and I just checked, Steam DOES say that I own the DLC, and I can't buy it twice for me. You could still buy it to gift it to a friend though...
I own the season pass, maybe it's different if you got the DLC for free.

I very often agree with you and find your comments to be very reasonable, but there are some points to be kept in mind here. There are quite a few people who invested quite a bit of money and it allready took Reiza much longer to get there with AMS2 than planned - basicly happens to every sim devs so no biggy for me. I have no rush and I can wait, as I am luckily not in the camp of people who spent 100 Euros but I can see why some people would like to reap the fruits of their investment. Then comes the question of how you sell a game on Steam. The current state of AMS2 is clearly not indicating v.1.0. People who are part of this niche might be able to live with it and understand it, but if you want to attract more people it might have been better to keep it in EA as new users might expect the sim to be in a totaly different state.

I think it's fine to compare different products and as much as I love rF2 - a product that needed much longer than any sim - I remember how it was released, how crap it ran and how bad/average it looked. But something that worked quite well was how cars behaved and I mean all of them. With AMS2 this is a bit of a two edged sword. There is one car that brings a smile to my face and that's the Super V8. But on the other hand I have far too many cars that have some very basic issues and I have no idea how that slipped into v.1.0. You don't need to have driven a 60s or 70s F1 car to know that you can't drive it one handed into a breaking zone as they have soft suspension and delicate breaking characteristics with the car rolling and shifting weight while going or easing off the throttle/brakes. And you don't need to have driven an 80's F1 car with 1000 BHP to know that you can't smash the throttle, yet those cars are on rails and it totaly feels like playing an arcade racer.

So something that I would like to see in the near future for this sim: less emphasize on cosmetics and getting all the cars up to Super V8 levels in terms of handling and physics before adding even more cars. I know I am propably in a minority here, but the core driving experience is where this sim really needs to catch up before anything else is touched. My two cents :thumbsup:

There is one car that brings a smile to my face and that's the Super V8. But on the other hand I have far too many cars that have some very basic issues and I have no idea how that slipped into v.1.0. You don't need to have driven a 60s or 70s F1 car to know that you can't drive it one handed into a breaking zone as they have soft suspension and delicate breaking characteristics with the car rolling and shifting weight while going or easing off the throttle/brakes. And you don't need to have driven an 80's F1 car with 1000 BHP to know that you can't smash the throttle, yet those cars are on rails and it totaly feels like playing an arcade racer.

I don't agree with any of this tbh. None of those F1 cars feel like they're on rails to me, or particularly "arcadey". They do act quite non-realistic off track at speed though, which is an issue they need to address, similar to how they can be spectacularly un-realistically flipped by nudging their rear wheel at speed. That said, physics are optimised for on-track racing not edge cases, so compromises have to be made in order to focus development.

If the 60's/70's/80's F1 cars are so easy to drive and are on arcade rails then it should be a snap for you to provide videos of you easily hitting WR times on all the key F1 tracks.

I'm looking forward to seeing them asap. Thanks.

Last edited:
My intention is not to disrespect anyone.
People should enjoy whatever they like.

These are just my two cents:

I tried AMS2, and I've tried giving it a chance. On numerous occasions.
The relationship just didn't work out.
I concurr with all the people not liking the driving feel.
This is exactly what drove me away from simcade titles i enjoyed in the past (GRID, NFS Shift).
The problem is that you're always guessing what the car is gonna do, every turn, every apex, it's all a constant gamble, anticipation of the car's next move.

If a freshly fabricated sim performs ALMOST as good as its predecessor, something is not right. It should feel at least 1% better right from the start.

Rubens Barichello said on AMS1:

Untill I find him, or any other racing authority speaking in this manner about AMS2, I will not reconsider reinstalling.

I don't agree with any of this tbh. None of those F1 cars feel like they're on rails to me, or particularly "arcadey". They do act quite non-realistic off track at speed though, which is an issue they need to address, similar to how they can be spectacularly un-realistically flipped by nudging their rear wheel at speed. That said, physics are optimised for on-track racing not edge cases, so compromises have to be made in order to focus development.

If the 60's/70's/80's F1 cars are so easy to drive and are on arcade rails then it should be a snap for you to provide videos of you easily hitting WR times on all the key F1 tracks.

I'm looking forward to seeing them asap. Thanks.
That's the most common BS logic argument that one can read on the interwebz. According to your logic I could show you a video of me missing the world record in trackmania and the cars would still be realistic, eh? :rolleyes:

My abillities have nothing to do with realistic phyiscs for a sim car. It's not the driver who makes the cars but the physics engineers. Maybe watch Niels Heusinkfelds video mastering the Lotus 97t around Adelaide and compare that to what you experience in AMS2. For one thing there is basicly no turbo lag when flooring the throttle and I am yet to experience any form of wheelspin in cars that were known for their violent nature requiring the drivers to shortshift and keep the revs high to not get killed. I am not sure if they have fixed it with the last patch but I haven't read anything about it in the changelog. Granted I haven't tested the newest build but for a very average driver like me cars shouldn't be so easy to controll. Just because some aliens know how to manipulate and abuse the physics best, doesn't mean that those cars are right.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.6%