Automobilista 2 | Update 1.1.3.5 Now Available

Shovas

1000RPM
Premium
Looking forward to the LSD cars

1617402523942.png

TrumpetReich

250RPM
Never been a fan of the 79, so I wasnt too interested but I'm Loving this car. A lot like the older f retros where you can toss it around and slide, but with a bit more grip and precision.

Last edited:

Leynad777

500RPM
Premium
I really like where this sim is going, finally wheels without hands is an option. However, I am struggling with driving in AMS2 a lot. This Lotus 79 also has this heavy understeer on entry I cannot get rid of.

The real car also has quite some understeer on entry, but I just drive like this guy and not a problem:)

The key is to position the car early on entry towards the exit, mostly with trailbraking and throttle oversteer out. I tried some setup-changes as well, but the default is quite okay. If you make the car more loose for a better entry, the car is getting unstable on the exit. For mid-corner understeer a click less rear-wing might help.

TrumpetReich

250RPM
The real car also has quite some understeer on entry, but I just drive like this guy and not a problem:)

The key is to position the car early on entry towards the exit, mostly with trailbraking and throttle oversteer out. I tried some setup-changes as well, but the default is quite okay. If you make the car more loose for a better entry, the car is getting unstable on the exit. For mid-corner understeer a click less rear-wing might help.
This guy has some wacky hand positions.

Leynad777

500RPM
Premium
This guy has some wacky hand positions.
That's oldschool-style and not only Walter Röhrl is doing it similar. I assume it's because of the lack of powersteering and higher steering-ratios to compensate for it. He's saying, that the steering-ratio of this car is 1:15 and to correct an unwanted 10°-angle of the car he needs to do a 150° correction on the steering wheel. So they position their hands that in case of an oversteer they can more quickly steer towards opposite lock to catch it.

Tony

APIA RACING
Staff
Premium
Not one single mention of multiplayer improvements for months now, so disappointing. I guess patience is a virtue.

Shovas

1000RPM
Premium
I tried out the Lotus 79. I'm most familiar with the iRacing version and it has understeer at low speeds but more grip than you think at high speeds due to aero.

I was trying to figure out if that was the same thing going on in AMS2 but couldn't quite pin it down.

Everything except the understeer feels really good.

I think I would still say something's uninformative about the backend, though. It feels just a little late in telling me about rear-end movement.

AMS2 is a gem if you don't try to pigeon hole it in your assumptions from other sims. It's a different beast but what it does it does well.

Last edited:

Wolf WolfZ

Wolf WolfZ
Premium
Sorry , but only 1 controller profile ? This Turned me off booting up the Sim because if I swap out a wheel from GT3 to Formula Rim for example, All buttons have to be re-mapped. :( Cannot save a controller profile. I really hope they fix this.
Please @Renato Simioni

Last edited:
It's too close to the physics of pcars2, I expect a big improvement on this side..
I will have to delete one of them but which one?
for the moment only the ams2 tracks have a real advantage!
Hey, could you please explain a bit further, what you mean by "too close to the physics of pCars2"?

And delete the one, that gives you less fun. Easy as that.^^

Rusty911

25RPM

VeRy UnrEaliStiC PhYsiCs! CaMerA iS aLso WaY tOo bOUnCy!

Tony

APIA RACING
Staff
Premium
Latency has been improved, the ui is better, no glitches with getting kicked, you can join later now. I've taken part in tons of league races without a hitch. The MP side has seen considerable work.
Really? I am in the beta testing and have watched every update and have never seen multi mentioned. Will give it another try

Wing should not really make a huge difference, in faster corners I have zero problems. And yes, with more front, it became quite nervous at exits. I tested it at Oulton Park, and in all slow corners, not even the entry, but rather mid corner it just pushes its front like crazy, worst one is the "hairpin" at Oulton, the banking should even help but the car goes into incredible understeer. Not saying I am an expert in car handling, but this is not what I experienced in other sims (even e.g. RSS Formula 79) and not what I would expect the car would behave like. Feels like mid corner only in slow corners all the suspension reached its peak load causing massive understeer, meanwhile in fast corners it's okay, which is also something that should be happening in the opposite way.

Again, might be me, might be the car, this behaviour is characteristic for AMS2 in general, some cars more affected than others. I just wanted to see how others feel about it.

Wing should not really make a huge difference, in faster corners I have zero problems. And yes, with more front, it became quite nervous at exits. I tested it at Oulton Park, and in all slow corners, not even the entry, but rather mid corner it just pushes its front like crazy, worst one is the "hairpin" at Oulton, the banking should even help but the car goes into incredible understeer. Not saying I am an expert in car handling, but this is not what I experienced in other sims (even e.g. RSS Formula 79) and not what I would expect the car would behave like. Feels like mid corner only in slow corners all the suspension reached its peak load causing massive understeer, meanwhile in fast corners it's okay, which is also something that should be happening in the opposite way.

Again, might be me, might be the car, this behaviour is characteristic for AMS2 in general, some cars more affected than others. I just wanted to see how others feel about it.
You could try, to apply a bit more rake to the car and go back with brake bias, maybe it helps a bit for the "overwhelmed" nature of the car thus maybe corner entry (even slower corners) might be induce a bit more "yaw impulse".

You also definetly need your tires to be sufficiently uniformingly heated. This can take 4 laps with these old girls.

It's also the same with other cars from this time in other sims, btw...
In R3E, the Gr.5 cars feel absolutely horrible, the first 3 laps, especially, if underdriving. But as soon, as the tires start to get some uniform and decent temperature, something comes alive here. :D

Last edited:

Leynad777

500RPM
Premium

The Lotus 79 in AMS2 obviously drives very similar to the real one and I think that's more important than being close to a fantasy mod or this simcade-car in iRacing. But it isn't as easy as well and sim racers without sufficient skills will struggle. I think AMS2 got too easy to drive recently and the Retro 1 isn't a challenge anymore and not just the GT1 is too stable on the limit so sim racers without skills can keep it on the track for more than a few corners.

Most famous racers went to the school of karts and open diff formula cars like the Vee in former times and the Formula Ford (F Trainer) later. The F Trainer is also very easy now and not challenging anymore. But sim racers think this isn't necessary since they know their sedan for real, GT3 is the best to start with and every other car should be similar...

The Lotus 79 in AMS2 obviously drives very similar to the real one and I think that's more important than being close to a fantasy mod or this simcade-car in iRacing. But it isn't as easy as well and sim racers without sufficient skills will struggle. I think AMS2 got too easy to drive recently and the Retro 1 isn't a challenge anymore and not just the GT1 is too stable on the limit so sim racers without skills can keep it on the track for more than a few corners.

Most famous racers went to the school of karts and open diff formula cars like the Vee in former times and the Formula Ford (F Trainer) later. The F Trainer is also very easy now and not challenging anymore. But sim racers think this isn't necessary since they know their sedan for real, GT3 is the best to start with and every other car should be similar...
Nice conversation about driving characteristics, should have known better... obviously...

Vilmos Vas

75RPM
The Lotus 79 in AMS2 obviously drives very similar to the real one and I think that's more important than being close to a fantasy mod or this simcade-car in iRacing.

And your opinion is obviously biased towards AMS2. Which is fine, just don't tell these 'obvious' things as facts. I assume none of us (including you) have ever driven a real Lotus 79, so what's we left with is comparisons with other sims. No matter how much you dislike other sims, if the majority has something common in their handling characteristic, then probably the one sim with different handling is flawed.

I'm not saying that the Lotus 79 in AMS2 is absolutely wrong. In fact I've got the same problem with it as with all the other cars in the game: the driveline modelling doesn't make sense to me. Not even after this update.

What bugs me the most is its selective nature, I mean there are corners where the car is a pig and doesn't want to rotate, and there are other corners where the cars magically drive themselves. At some point there is no on-throttle oversteer, at another (same car, same track) there's tons of on-throttle oversteer. It feels almost like if I was controlling scripts with my right foot, and not a simulation of a mechanical driveline. I know many AMS2 fans are mad at GamerMuscle about him saying that there's no lift off oversteer in the game, but let's face it: it's true. I simply cannot react to certain situations the way I react in every other sims, so I guess it's not my driving skills... But of course I could say things like "those who don't feel these flaws have no skills". But I won't. The problem remains: this is the only sim in which I feel this awkward behaviour of the driveline.

In spite of this issue, I enjoy my offline races in AMS2 and it certainly goes in the right direction.

Edit: @Leynad777 Your best reasoning is a haha emoji? How mature! How elegant! :thumbsup:

Last edited: