• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

Automobilista 2 | The Second Hotfix Is Here

MarcG

1000RPM
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
The SuperV8 needs a bit of taming, still has a bit of a wobble feeling mid turn in some places but that could be the default setup (not had time to give it a proper run yet). The Ginetta G55 is a blast, had a run on Brands Indy last night which was cool bar the current AI irregularities.
Still tweaking the FFB, using various Custom Profiles to find the one I like the most and I'm slowly getting there, have a feeling it won't be on par with other Sims but as long as I can get it close that'll be good.

Why must it be aimed at anyone in particular? Most game developers could learn a thing or two from the speed of Reiza's fixes, non-sim devs included.
Conversely Reiza could learn a thing or two from other Devs in many ways, like not announcing Release Date Targets for one (Reiza17 anyone :D !? - and yes I mean that in jest!)

At the end of the day all Devs are different, they all work at their own pace, this constant need to compare them to one another is redundant and incredibly boring, enjoy all the Sims they offer and be happy we have these Sims to enjoy!

Kenny Paton

10000RPM
Premium
Sep 26, 2009
At the end of the day all Devs are different, they all work at their own pace, this constant need to compare them to one another is redundant and incredibly boring, enjoy all the Sims they offer and be happy we have these Sims to enjoy!
How true.
But of course this is the internet.

Reactions: blot and MarcG

TedBrosby-

100RPM
Premium
May 13, 2020
I think it's a little premature to compare this to other sims in areas that Reiza are still ironing out. Overall I've had a great time driving it so far and the AI drives way better than ACC for me. The FFB feels completely different from PC2 so I have no idea where people get PC2 feeling from. And with PC2 I heavily modded the FFB to make it less terrible, with AMS2 I'm not even using custom files and it feels good on my CS 2.5 wheel base.
There's some bugs, like not being able to pit after a cooldown lap and being stuck in cooldown lap loop, and also bugs like the race session not starting after qualifying, but I think it's a refreshing sim, different from what's out. Give the devs a break, and give them time to fix things. Seems like they're working their butts off to give us our money's worth.

BillGuy

250RPM
Jun 1, 2017
Within the category of “things that are missing,” I’m really surprised nobody seems to have mentioned timing and scoring info. Unless I’m overlooking something, the screen you see in the pit box only ever shows best lap times and the sector times for them.

I want the ability to see this timing info for all of the laps I’ve driven in a session, not just the quickest one. I’ll even go so far as saying this is fundamental information for judging things like your lines through certain corners and how the tires are behaving. I just hope the game engine has this data available so that Reiza has the possibility of adding it sometime in the future.

MarkR

500RPM
Premium
Feb 8, 2017
@BillGuy more good points, the UDP dash apps do provide this information if you want that if/before it gets added in-game. I have an old PCARS1 dash app and it's working fine using the PCARS1 output settings. It's handy to have the sector times over a number of laps to see where the variations are.

sonicviz

100RPM
Jun 21, 2019
Within the category of “things that are missing,” I’m really surprised nobody seems to have mentioned timing and scoring info. Unless I’m overlooking something, the screen you see in the pit box only ever shows best lap times and the sector times for them.

I want the ability to see this timing info for all of the laps I’ve driven in a session, not just the quickest one. I’ll even go so far as saying this is fundamental information for judging things like your lines through certain corners and how the tires are behaving. I just hope the game engine has this data available so that Reiza has the possibility of adding it sometime in the future.

Edit the HUD when you are in a session and change those HUD elements from minimum to Full

BillGuy

250RPM
Jun 1, 2017
Edit the HUD when you are in a session and change those HUD elements from minimum to Full
Thanks for the idea, but even set on ‘Full’ level the lap times section of the HUD doesn’t show you sector times. It only shows full lap times and their relative difference to your other laps. That’s certainly better than no lap times at all but I find sector times much more useful for judging things. Regardless, the HUD goes away as soon as you pause the game. A behavior which presents its own set of difficulties.

Reactions: Enagee

AndyB16

10RPM
Jul 3, 2017
I really hope they change that the in-car adjustments (traction control, abs, etc) don't show up if you have the hud disabled. I like to run no hud in vr just because it's much more immersive, but you can't tell which level of adjustment the things are set to since the pop up doesn't show. This was an issue in PCars 2 as well. I would think it would be a simple fix.

Enagee

500RPM
Oct 15, 2010

Glad to know it's not just me....it was available at one point whilst on beta.

Reactions: BillGuy
Jul 24, 2015
I really hope they change that the in-car adjustments (traction control, abs, etc) don't show up if you have the hud disabled. I like to run no hud in vr just because it's much more immersive, but you can't tell which level of adjustment the things are set to since the pop up doesn't show. This was an issue in PCars 2 as well. I would think it would be a simple fix.
You can disable each HUD element on Options > Edit HUD, toggling their states (Off / Minimal / Full), leaving the HUD on. Would that work for what you need?

Reactions: kkdrummer

Kweel

100RPM
Jul 23, 2016
Still beta for me
If they could remove the old pcars files or screen.. it's not like it was pcars2 tweaked ;)

Reactions: pennywiseguy

Goffik

A legend in my own mind...
Staff member
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
You can disable each HUD element on Options > Edit HUD, toggling their states (Off / Minimal / Full), leaving the HUD on. Would that work for what you need?
Does that work for HUD elements in the "messages" category though? I don't think you can enable/disable those individually. You'd have to have all messages appearing or none.

AndyB16

10RPM
Jul 3, 2017
I'm not sure. I don't think it worked on PC2, but I'll give it a try in a bit and see. Hopefully it's that simple.

AndyB16

10RPM
Jul 3, 2017
Tried it last night, doesn't work. If you have the hud set to off no messages show up. As far as I can tell, you can't turn off individual hud elements. If you could we could just leave one very small element on and out of the normal line of sight so we could still get those messages when needed, but you can't do that. Unless I'm missing something, I honestly might be. I messed with it for about 45 minutes.

Jul 24, 2015
@Goffik, yeah the "MESSAGES" elements can only be moved. But I think @AndyB16 wants the opposite. Messages to appear (so he can see assists settings), but the HUD elements turned off. Did I get it right?

If so, I just did it by clicking each HUD element and cicling them to Off (by clicking on Level):
1594248713135.png

Here's the result:
AMS2.jpg

Reactions: AndyB16 and Goffik

Ryan Robbins

100RPM
Mar 8, 2011
I have been enjoying the game lately. I love the vintage F1 cars. If anyone has any tips to improve FFB on a T300RS I would appreciate it. I have downloaded a custom FFB file and it is improved a little, but I am still hoping to improve the FFB. Maybe I should just learn about the FFB file myself and begin to play around with it...