Automobilista 2: The Big Interview - Part 1

bmanic

250RPM
Jun 16, 2009
I'm surprised at all this talk of Mods and how important it seems to be for some. From my experience there aren't alot of mods worth using because of questionable physics and isnt that the most important thing?
100% Agreed!

The low quality of the vast majority of mods just shows the incredible hypocrisy of the sim racing community (only eclipsed by the flight sim community!). A large bunch of people keep critiquing simulators like AC, rF2, AMS/GSC, pCars1/2, iRacing, Codemasters rally stuff etc.. yet they happily drive crappy mods with extremely questionable physics.

.. or drive silly amateur-at-best tracks with most effort gone into off track objects, yet critique extremely high quality official content from the established companies when they aren't laser scanned.

EDIT: .. and mods only further divide the online playerbase, something I find extremely frustrating.

Reactions: ShadowHornet

bmanic

250RPM
Jun 16, 2009
btw i think ACC is gona have hard time with few dozen tracks,,,
Nope. On the contrary. It's a concise and clear package. It brings strength and cohesiveness to the online component.

More is not always more. Less is more, most of the time.

Besides, have you ever looked at the tracks the _vast majority_ of people play online? It's always the same few in most of the sims. Even in iRacing outside of the regular season, a few tracks are played thousands of times more than most of the track roster.

Same goes for any genre really. Look at Counter Strike. The vast majority of players are happy to grind a few most popular maps over and over again ad nauseam.

Alex72

1000RPM
Jan 28, 2014
Saying Patricks track pack for AMS is bad is being ignorant. He used all the AMS functions and even added summer, spring and autumn. His pack is just one example of excellent quality and it added 28 tracks with 41 layouts. Its a must for AMS users. No one argues with that there are shoddy and crappy mods but many of those are also people who are learning the trade. Even the developers today of all our beloved sims many of them started out as modders. Not talking about AMS2 or ACC here. Just that talking negatively about modded content is just ignorant. You choose what you want after all.

Val De Vienne - Patrick G.
tease4_201781141334.jpg

Reactions: Daniel Monteiro

Kenny Paton

10000RPM
Premium
Sep 26, 2009
Saying Patricks track pack for AMS is bad is being ignorant.
Before this takes a wrong turn, Alex, that's not what he's saying there is no mention of Patrick's tracks, the final part of your remark is unnecessary.

Xenozoid

75RPM
May 9, 2014
Nope. On the contrary. It's a concise and clear package. It brings strength and cohesiveness to the online component.

More is not always more. Less is more, most of the time.

Besides, have you ever looked at the tracks the _vast majority_ of people play online? It's always the same few in most of the sims. Even in iRacing outside of the regular season, a few tracks are played thousands of times more than most of the track roster.

Same goes for any genre really. Look at Counter Strike. The vast majority of players are happy to grind a few most popular maps over and over again ad nauseam.

i never say more is better,i say a bit more content is,anyway,i'll try to catch up,and do not want to argue about anything,i am an old backer here a follower since the karting adventure you may say,but i can see a trend, and i am 52 know,i backed up ea,and now ,after 3 times online, i got 3 fatal error,after 10 min and more,not to say it is bad, but i played online before release and never had a pro,i hope it gets beter,i only payed 25 euro anyway,less risky than codemaster or pcars,wich i also payed 25 euros,but it is not the mony it is tha fun to race,and i hope reiza will cut the trend(restricting content)...please

arguing:
even the carreer mod is ludicrous,do they wish to go on console with it,later?
and because most of internet online loves google does not mean i have to,so démocratie is not having majority,so we only play spa,to make a game with spa only

i love reiza ams because of the tracks and car diversity

Last edited:

Boby Kim

1000RPM
Aug 28, 2010
I'd rather have AMS converted into rF2 than AMS2. AMS 2 will be another console game like ACC and P-cars

taylajee

25RPM
Jan 13, 2016
I'm still waiting the question about modding in AMS2 cuz i feel that AMS without his modding community it's quite empty. Yeah, AMS has a lot of content but mods in AMS gives u some of the best experiences in the game
AMS is one of the most complete sims in the market with cars from almost every possible racing discipline. Empty is on of the most bizarre description I've ever read or heard about it. Like seriously..... WTF.
Also, I personally wish AMS2 doesn't support MODs. No need for the best sim developer to waste time putting tools to support it, just to allow someone to put his won guesswork in the game. /rant

Feb 29, 2016
+1 I do get a bad feeling the Maddness engine precludes this.

That would leave rF2 as the only current generation title to remain open to modding. Not a good trend. Not for coare awansumers and not for developers, in my opinion. Do you want to sell your product for the next 12+ years like GTR2? Keep it open to modding.
Or keep updating the game and releasing good DLC.
Even without Mods, AMS is such a solid game.
But mods ARE always nice !

Rui Santos

500RPM
Feb 24, 2013
Again... without mods, any title will have their days counted... unless that's precisely the idea of the developers...

Alexsna

50RPM
Nov 25, 2017
AMS is one of the most complete sims in the market with cars from almost every possible racing discipline. Empty is on of the most bizarre description I've ever read or heard about it. Like seriously..... WTF.
Also, I personally wish AMS2 doesn't support MODs. No need for the best sim developer to waste time putting tools to support it, just to allow someone to put his won guesswork in the game. /rant
1st of all, the allowance of a game to create mods it doesn't make the base game worst. AMS is not a better sim than, for example, PC2 cause of mods, its just a good addon which makes the overall experience better.
I felt that experience when i tried CART extreme mod, most specific when I started testing it on oval speedways, after run a race on Road America before here in RD. This one together with a WTCC mod are just amazing

Jul 18, 2017
Just saw a big interview with Renato (in portuguese)

About mods, he said that it's not supported by the engine (new liverys will be supported).

He also said that as a small companny, when they spend a good amount of money to put new content and , a week later, it's modded to others plataforms, it's "breaks their legs".

People wants to get all the tracks and cars in the world for free, Ok.
But its ok for people who make a living of this, who invest money in this, just to get robbed?

This is the other side that some people here just dont (or dont want to) understand.

Last edited:

RaceNut

1000RPM
Oct 5, 2009
Niels seems to think the Madness Engine's capabilities are quite good although, the tire-model (much like rF2's), is very complex. Still, Reza says they are getting good results with their conversion tools and the cars drive better in the new engine than in AMS. I'm encouraged to see Niels is still working on tools to help development (for the future).

Having been involved with PC1 development, it's obvious that SMS and Reiza have very different philosophies regarding car handling so I'm really optimistic about the potential of AMS2.

Reactions: bluey

Bjarne Hansen

500RPM
Jan 7, 2015
About mods, he said that it's not suported by the engine (new liverys will be supported).

He also said that as a small companny, when they spend a good amount of money to put new content and , a week later, it's modded to others plataforms, it's "breaks their legs".

But its ok for people who make a living of this, who invest money in this, just to get robbed?

This is the other side that some people here just dont (or dont want to) understand.
Now regarding modding to and from other platforms. Maybe Renato and Reiza should follow the old advice about not trowing stones when you live in a glasshouse!
Enough said about that!
Assetto Corsa has sold pretty well? And it has had most if not all it's tracks and cars converted to other sims and also pretty much has all available content from other sims converted to AC mods.
So who got robbed there? Maybe those sim that does not support modding?
Will make a prediction that ACC will never sell even 1/2 the copies that AC has done and it is still selling.

Reactions: Shovas

Shovas

1000RPM
Premium
Apr 18, 2014
Just saw a big interview with Renato (in portuguese)

About mods, he said that it's not supported by the engine (new liverys will be supported).

I wish the discussion would go deeper than this simple moddable vs not moddable false dichotomy. There are options that keep modding on the table.

Reiza was creative when they crowdfunded AMS and very generous up to this day. I have no complaints with them. So why can't we repeat that magic. Let's get creative again.

Here are just a few ideas I've been thinking of that keep sims open to modding...

- Keep first party content locked down if you really want so it doesn't get out into the hands of others. If you can lock-down content already I don't see any problem with having a two-gated system where first party content is locked down while mods can remain open.

- Highlight first party, quality content so people are reminded of the (presumably) higher quality official content

- Real-life example: S397 Sebring is worth paying for even though VLM Sebring is available for free.

- Present DLC in-game in an obvious, upfront way that encourages buying the official content (Bonus: Allow buying in-game)

- Move mod content to an "addons" subsection undearneath Tracks/Cars/etc. to further focus users on official content (Bonus: This keeps the core game presentation clean and professional looking)

- Crowdsource new DLC content in a way that locks down this new first party content for a period of time and then opens it up after that period ends so that modders have access to the assets.

- Different formats could be run: You could pre-commit to developing and take whatever money comes in; Or you could commit only if you reach a certain goal; You can have different perks like if we reach X we'll release a bare package, if we reach X*2 then we'll add in Super Duper Feature Y, and if we reach X*3 we'll open the whole thing after a certain period of time.

- Crowdsource content updates; Same commitments/perks apply

- Special Mod Highlight Area where users can buy or donate to modders and a portion goes to the dev/pub

- I'm sure everyone has their own ideas. Throw them out there.

The goal here is to achieve a win-win for everybody involved and get past this moddable/not-moddable roadblock.

Mods increase engagement far, far beyond the typical shelf-life of a new game, even if the underlying engine is a generation or two behind (GTR2, AMS, AC, etc.). And mods help build a community that grows and sticks around.

If ACC were to stay as-is, barring DLC, and remaining unmoddable, how long will it last? Maybe as long an F1 title? Sure I might buy F1 2017 still on sale for $5 but really how many people is that? So 2-3 years, say.

With AC, though, you've got a title going from strength to strength and still very much worth buying, with a great buzzing community, 5 years later, with no signs of letting up any time soon.

And on the extreme, you can have titles like GTR2/GT Legends/Race 07 and all those old titles that require little to no maintenance and they're still worth playing to this day...after 10-12 years and there's no reason that should change, although granted it will diminish over time. Still, to go from 2-3 years, to 5 with modding, to possibly 10-12+. There's money to be made there.

I submit dev/pub permitting and encouraging modders can create more value than the sum of the parts.

aleph

75RPM
Jun 1, 2015
When the words "AMS" and "mods" appear together, I can only think "Patrick Giranthon". That's all I really care about, the rest is covered pretty well by the sim itself. If Reiza at some point launched a huge DLC with all of Patrick's tracks and charged the same price of the game itself, I would buy it.