Automobilista 2 | New Update, Silverstone And Historic F1 Cars Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a new update for Automobilista 2, adding a few new historic Grand Prix cars to the title as well as the delayed Silverstone DLC release.
  • Silverstone 2020, 2001, 1991 & 1975 DLC released.
  • F-V10 Gen1 class added.
  • Lotus 49C and Brabham BT26A added to F-Vintage Gen2 series.
The slightly delayed new update to Automobilista 2 has arrived, and it looks like the wait has been worth it, as Reiza Studios drop a number of new historic Grand Prix machines to the simulation, as well as publicaly releasing the Silverstone DLC pack and its four variants of the famous British venue.

AMS 2 Update Notes:

The new Automobilista 2 update adds plenty of free new cars, several developments to championship mode, a completely revised track limit penalty system, many AI adjustments along with the usual batch of improvements & fixes in other game fronts.

The track limit penalty system & regulations have now been completely revised to adhere more closely to real racing regulations and for better consistency. A more detailed explanation on the rules for track limits as of v1.0.2.0 will follow shortly.

This update also brings the home of British Motorsports to AMS2 - the Silverstone Pack features several historical iterations of the track through the decades along with its current layout - unique fast flowing challenges perfectly suited to the cars that raced on them!

AMS 2 Update Notes 1.jpg

This pack features 4 distinct versions of this legendary track from 4 different decades - 1975, 1991, 2001 and 2020; additional layouts for the main track in each era will be gradually added in future updates.

AMS 2 Update Notes 2.jpg

FULL V1.0.1.2 -> V1.0.2.0 CHANGELOG:

CONTENT

• Added F-V10 Gen1 class
  • Added Lotus 49C, Brabham BT26A to F-Vintage Gen2 series
  • Released Silverstone Pack featuring 2020, 2001, 1991 & 1975 versions (DLC package)
GAMEPLAY
  • Championship mode: Added Frontend standings table; Added race length scaling option; Added progress reset option; Fixed bug ensuring player vehicle respects championship configuration.
  • Added new track limit penalty system- no more slowdown penalties (except to give back positions), driver has a customizable number of track limit violations before being awarded a drive-thru penalty
  • Added penalty tolerance logic for when the cut occurs over grass/gravel or occurs after a contact with another vehicle
  • Decreased the distance in which a track limit violation invalidates the next lap
  • Track limit rules made standard for all racing sessions (whether single or multiplayer) for better consistency
UI & HUD
  • Added Brazilian-PT localization (Beta)
  • Fixed some situations where Championship was incorrectly identified as a Career championship
  • Added UI Pit Strategy screens (access via Setup screen)
  • Added Vehicle List switch option to Vehicle Selection page.
  • Fixed Time Trial info unit still showing old style in Minimal mode
  • Multiplayer chatbox now logs all messages over the session
  • Removed the fade delay from "Give back Position" HUD message so it disappears instantly when position is returned
PHYSICS
  • Reduced tyre speed effects on adhesive friction for all slick tires
  • Increased longitudinal slip (and reduced understeer as a result) for f-Retro, F-Vintage, Opala 1986 tyres
  • Adjusted F-Vintage Gen2 tyre width, diameter & gear ratios to match new official cars
  • Reduced engine inertia on all MRX engines
  • Adjusted front splitter pitch sensitivity for prototypes, GTs
  • Minor aerodynamical revisions for AJR, Stock 2020
  • F-Ultimate: Adjusted ERS charging & deployment properties (higher throttle threshold, more charging from full brakes) to minimise chances of battery running out over 1st laps
  • Adjusted car body friction & restitution (slightly less jerky when coming into contact with other cars)
  • Fixed Copa Classic CTD from missing wet compound tyre
  • Fixed Camaro SS 6th gear ratio
AI
  • Removed all "artificial" AI functions affecting their behavior in racing situations (minimises unpredictable reactions)
  • First-lap decision making on 1st lap introduced in v1.0.1.0 now applies to all race laps
  • Fixed AI tendency to put wheels on the grass on straights for no apparent reason during lap 1
  • Added initial version AI defensive driving logic (very subtle on this release to minimise potential issues)
  • Further AI refinements to reduce likelihood of accidents on lap 1, including logic for AI to be more careful when rejoining the track after going off
  • Adjusted DRS activation speeds for AI for Sigma P1 & AJR cars equipped with the device
  • Minor AI Grip tuning for Cascais, Hockenheim
  • Improved pitlane merge to main path at Hockenheim GP / National
AUDIO
  • Super V8: Muted PitLimiter sound for now until further code adjustments
TRACKS
  • Hockenheim 2020: Slightly relaxed high frequency road surface noise for a less bouncy ride
VEHICLES
  • Added F-Classic suspension animations & adjusted driver animations (all models)
  • Fixed F-Trainer driver hands position in 3rd person view
  • Stock Car Cruze 2020: Fixed chassis visual glitch
  • Camaro SS: Corrected mirror position
  • ARC Camaro: Fixed visual glitch on liveries 3,4,98,99
  • Puma P052: Corrected display RPM and Speed readings
  • Chevette: Windscreen reflection reduced
  • Stock Car Cruze, Corlla 2020: Added dynamic dirt & damage

V1.0.2.1 CHANGELOG:

• Adjusted range of allowed track limit warnings to 1-50
  • Multiplayer chatbox history no longer logs joins/leaves and limits history playbackwhen switching page
  • Fixed session overview leaderboard not filling in Multiplayer session
  • Fixed incorrect text on pit strategy back buttons
  • Adjusted F-Vintage body aero lift (all models)
  • Fixed VW Truck crashing to desktop when loading
  • Adjusted Ultima & Camaro SS tyres (stiffer tyre sidewall, reduced a speed sensitivity, stiffer front ARB and springs) & AI tuning
  • Adjusted F-Reiza tyre tread (better retention of adhesive friction at speed)
  • Decreased AI defensive lateral movement range to reduce chances of weaving
  • Minor reduction of AI brake grip
  • Minor AI performance callibration pass for F-Vintage, Ultima & Camaro SS
  • Adjusted AI wet tyre grip for Formulas V12, V10 Gen1 & Gen2
  • Silverstone (all versions): General art passes & added remaining trackside objects (including period accurate 1975 pit building)
  • Hockenheim: fixed trees popping up in the horizon of 1977 version
  • Incremental AI speed adjustments at Imola 2019 - Chicane T11; Kansai - T11, T14, T16; Spielberg - T1, T2; Donington - Mcleans (T7); Goiania - Chicane entry; Kyalami - T13, T16; Oulton Int - chicane entry; Santa Cruz - chicane;, Taruma Chicane;Velopark - Last corner.
  • Camaro SS: Fixed tachometer
  • Brabham BT26A: Added front suspension animation & texture, material updates
  • F-V10 Gen1:- Added material to sidepod intakes

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Have answers? Want to chat about AMS 2 and don't know where to go? Worry not my friend, we have just the place for you! The Automobilista 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment welcomes you with open arms - come say hello!

MS 2 footer.jpg

That's an assumption, you know nothing about me mate.

very enhanced sense of entitlement? Go on, I'm listening. I've lived in one of the poorest parts of the country all my life. I really don't feel entitled to that much.

a decided lack of appreciation? We should appreciate paying money for something selling itself as a simulator with physics that defy the laws of physics? I've already stated clearly in another post that i have nothing but love for Reiza after AMS1.

I have no prejudice whatsoever with the chosen engine. I fully understand the decision to go with SMS, Renato stated his case quite clearly. With this knowledge I made the decision to purchase with my own money. Doesn't sound very prejudiced.

The last time i picked up AMS2 within half a lap in a strange car, on a strange track, in a strange sim i was powersliding and drifting like a king...in an F3, hardly the drifters choice. There is something fundamentally flawed with the physics of this thing. More than just tyre adjustments or FFB.

But rather than start a conversation that might be useful for something, you end up wasting time and effort replying to people that feel you shouldn't bring an opinion to a forum. And then people wonder why its a hot mess with falling player numbers. Oh well, you can only try.

Edited to be less provocative. Bob
Which works both ways, in case you hadn't noticed. The discussion would also be "helped" if people didn't keep bad-mouthing AMS 2 based on nothing more than the history of a totally unrelated sim.

It would be further helped if people just stuck to their own opinions instead of criticising each other for having said opinions, positive or negative. There's nothing wrong with defending something you like from people who don't like it, and there's nothing wrong with criticising something you don't like regardless of how many people do like it. But when people start criticising each other, that's what turns a discussion into a pointless petty argument.

Speak for yourself. At no point was that comment by Kenny aimed at you personally, nor did it even suggest you fall into the "some" he was talking about. Yet you immediately assumed he was talking about you personally and get all funny about it.

That's another issue against discussion these days... "some" people insist on taking everything personally, even when it's blatantly not intended that way. :rolleyes:

Once again i make a perfectly reasonable post and i'm jumped on for it. While Kenny's comment might not have been aimed at me it certainly reads that way, the reader can judge. And if someone makes slanderous comments for no apparent reason then yes i'm likely to respond. At no point did i bad mouth at, swear at or say anything to upset Kenny.

If you noticed Kenny put out an apology which i responded to within about a minute. I guess we were already over it.

Though please accept my apology if your post is aimed at someone else Goffik.

Last edited:
The last time i picked up AMS2 within half a lap in a strange car, on a strange track, in a strange sim i was powersliding and drifting like a king...in an F3, hardly the drifters choice. There is something fundamentally flawed with the physics of this thing. More than just tyre adjustments or FFB.

Just for fun and not as an exercise in toxicity, I took the F309 out for a spin this morning on Brands Hatch. Guess what. If you enable a drift in that car, you spin out. After learning this car properly, I managed a 2nd place in the current Time trial standings.

I'm not saying your physics POV is unfounded or that your experience when you last played isn't valid. No one is attacking you here mate. However, i'd highly encourage you to keep up with the development as you may end up missing out on a good thing.

I've moved this part of my post and edited it so there's nothing personal in it.

Nowadays it seems that some in the community have a very enhanced sense of entitlement, a decided lack of appreciation coupled with already prejudiced view because of the game engine used.
We are to small a niche genre to be squabbling all the time. Having been away for some months I have been saddened by the toxicity and negativity that seems to have gained ground in recent months.
Why when we have so many choices in what sim/game we play are so many people angry because it's not the same one as their choice.
Pardon the rant, but it's really struck me.

And when was the last time that happened?

Because when I first played AMS 2 back in Early Acess I drove the Formula Reiza and could also drift that car around very easily, which, among other issues, caused me to first refund the game, but since the last update if I try to drift the F-Reiza I will spin out so there's a big chance that the F3 car has been fixed as well.

You ask for an honest discussion of the problems and issues with AMS 2, and I agree, I myself am not yet 100% happy with everything and every car in the game, but saying that there is something fundamentally flawed with the physics when even Niels Heusinkveld says otherwise doesn't sound like an "honest" start to the conversation, unless you're also an expert physics developer.

With the last few updates some cars in the sim have already improved to the point where I see them as being at least just good as the best cars in any other sim, so that tells me that those cars that do not yet feel 100% convincing can be corrected just the same and judging by Reiza's past history I'm confident they'll do it.

what get's me about "simmers" is the assumption that everyone and their driving style can just drop into a car and get on with it.

We all know that in the real world drivers can setup cars VERY differently, and one driver will attempt anothers settings and HATE them because they make the car drive like ****.....for THEM.

e.g. with the "I like the Ginetta in sim A but in SIm B it's **** so Sim B is bunk"......maybe just maybe the default setups are not the same?

What people fail to understand is that although real physics is unified, it's the same everywhere in the universe. That's not the same in Sims (it should be, different story) but every sim will be different in small and large ways depending on the quality of the data they get from sources (and if there's any erroneous data input errors in the code).

For example tyres physics, the data from Pirelli's rubber will be completely different to the data from Michelin or Dunlop. And when you see TOP teams struggling to make a tyre work in REALITY then maybe people would understand that tyre physics is a really REALLY black art of witchcraft and sorcery.

So just pick the game you like best that suits your driving style and enjoy it. Life's too short.

Wow, bit heated in here!

Well I've been at work and hadn't had the chance to try out the latest version and hotfix until today when I unexpectedly got a day off due to bad weather and so I thought ok today can be AMS2 day and....... What a day!!

Decided to try and see how consistent the new penalty system and A.I. are across a bunch of different cars and tracks with the existing content, as there is already alot of it, and also look for any major flaws, I only really found one serious one with the trucks, other than that, what a day!

Here's a bit of my day, which has been awsome!

4 laps at each track with a different care every time, same A.I. settings for each one, I found some very good consistency and had a fantastic day!

Bravo Reiza! Thanks for a great day off!

Personally, I think AMS2 is improving and yes, I know its still early days (after official release). But I think there is room for improvement, when compared to the drivabilty of AMS(1). I am optimistic, but taking nothing for granted.

What people fail to understand is that although real physics is unified, it's the same everywhere in the universe. That's not the same in Sims (it should be, different story) but every sim will be different in small and large ways depending on the quality of the data they get from sources (and if there's any erroneous data input errors in the code).

Thing is, this is without even getting into how at some point every sim HAS to make concessions somewhere along the line. Until We can simulate an entire universe on the atom level and then drive in it some stuff is going to be a bit off inherently. Not that things can't or shouldn't be improved in the meantime.

Thing is, this is without even getting into how at some point every sim HAS to make concessions somewhere along the line. Until We can simulate an entire universe on the atom level and then drive in it some stuff is going to be a bit off inherently. Not that things can't or shouldn't be improved in the meantime.

Yup, it's all about the data. Even then tyre data is probably hard to interpret even for the experts. We are talking about a chemical reaction, and trying to simulate that as efficiently as possible. To do it 100% accurately would probably need HAL. So devs do the best they can with the CPU resources available.

At the mo I think devs have two choices to improve things. Keep it simple, no weather, minimal changing track conditions, get the tyres working as realistic as possible in a narrow window.

Or be more "real" expand the window, but then you get gaps in the data and the devs have to fill in those gaps, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I actually wish (like Durge Driven) that someone would do a physics engine for racing sim and all the devs would just license the series/cars/tracks they want and do that. Of course we'd have the arguments about "what" current engine would be the "one", but I say let's get all the physics guru's working together (ego's permitting) and get that unified physics engine. (I can dream!)

Yup, it's all about the data. Even then tyre data is probably hard to interpret even for the experts. We are talking about a chemical reaction, and trying to simulate that as efficiently as possible. To do it 100% accurately would probably need HAL. So devs do the best they can with the CPU resources available.

At the mo I think devs have two choices to improve things. Keep it simple, no weather, minimal changing track conditions, get the tyres working as realistic as possible in a narrow window.

Or be more "real" expand the window, but then you get gaps in the data and the devs have to fill in those gaps, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I actually wish (like Durge Driven) that someone would do a physics engine for racing sim and all the devs would just license the series/cars/tracks they want and do that. Of course we'd have the arguments about "what" current engine would be the "one", but I say let's get all the physics guru's working together (ego's permitting) and get that unified physics engine. (I can dream!)

Now that is a great dream! I've often thought the same, the best sim would be the sim with all the best bits from every sim!

The fact that sim physics are interpretations of real world physics subject to different data and different mindsets is the exact reason why a single physics engine across all sims will not be a thing at least for a long time. That would only slow down progress and innovation I think.

As soon as a group of "physics guru's" tried to get together to do an ultimate universal physics engine some genius kid in his garage would figure out that there might be a better way to simulate aero or damage and start is own indie engine, while other smart dude in is basement might figure out a better way to do tires or suspension and start yet another engine, while some group in some university somewhere might figure out a way to do better chassis flex, and so on... it's just the way technology evolves and that's how sim racing physics have come so far in the latest years: trough the efforts and discoveries of different teams pulling one another trough healthy competition.

I'd rather have that than a single engine that would barely evolve because there would be too many "cooks", too many egos's and too many differences of opinion going on to change or improve anything, which is what would probably happen under this utopia of a single engine that some here like to dream about.

I certainly hope the idea of one universal engine everyone uses doesn't happen, ever. That sounds dreadful. I suspect even people who now might think it would be a good idea might fairly quickly change their mind if that ever happened, because I think when people say that, they kinda go with the assumption the "unified sim engine" would be exactly how they like things to be, which might very well not be the case. It's like you're an ACC fan, so you'd like a unified sim engine that handles like ACC, but what you'd get would handle like AMS2 (for example).

It's good to have choice and be able to pick the approach/implementation you personally prefer.

That's why I said it's a dream, in a perfect world It would be the best way to do something as it would be 100% simulation without guesswork, all the real world data in one place. So yeah it'll never happen and the sim world will continue to be fragmented and argue like chlidren! ;)

"100% simulation" is an oxymoron, IMO. (But I do kinda understand what you mean, even though...see above.)

Yeah I'm only talking theoretical absolutes, with all the data from all the tyre manufacturers, suspension manufacturers and chassis designers, coupled with revolutionary physics simulations of molecules we could get 100% simulation.....not quite sure what sort of processing power would be required though....I think I said HAL before.....maybe a couple of HALS along with Holly?

But you'd never get the real vibration or G forces so it still wouldn't be "100% simulation", just a more realistic game.

100% correct, although to be fair I'm more talking about how the car handles rather than how it "feels" to be handling. But yeah I've been saying this for years about FFB, and car "feeling", unless you're sat in a full on sim rig with hydraulics throwing you around then no "sim" realistically conveys how it feels.

Take braking, as you brake you will feel the retardation in your body, but the seconds those tyres slip and lock up you feel the retardation reduce and stop all together, making brake modulation a hell of a lot easier as you feel for the limit. No game can simulate (outside of a hydraulic sim rig) that sensation, all FFB can do is reduce the motor resistance to the wheel to simulate grip loss, nothing felt in the "seat of your pants".

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 13.7%