Automobilista 2 | New Update, Loads Of Content Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have released their much anticipated new 'landmark' Automobilista 2 game update - including a whole heap of new content for the simulation.

Yes it's here folks - the new build release of Automobilista 2 and some nice new free and paid content for good measure. We've got GT3 and GT4 cars from the likes of Mercedes, Porsche, McLaren and Chevrolet, the German Nurburgring circuit in different configurations, some fresh updates to the force feedback of the game, AI improvements and a load more goodies - certainly marking this one out as a key new update in the development of Automobilista 2 since it left Early Access.

Before we move on to the update notes, be sure to check out a couple of key messages from Reiza about this build:

Release Promo - Temporary free access to the Nurburgring track!

With the Nordschleife and 24h layouts not quite ready for this release, we have elected to temporarily offer the other modern Nurburgring layouts FREE to all users until the long layouts are added to the package at some point next week.

Please be advised that upon the addition of the Nordschleife & 24h layouts, all Nurburgring versions will revert to being available only for owners of the DLC or packages that include it.

Updated Force Feedback

This update adds fresh Force Feedback developments, the most significant being:

- Damping now adjustable via in-game FFB menu *
- Enhanced tyre flatspots **
- Enhanced feedback during braking
- Enhanced road feel (adjustable via FX slider) ***
- Improved scrub effect (adjustable via FX slider)
- Effectively eliminated FFB "deadzone" around center in some cars
- Improved gyro moment accuracy
- Now using SETA patch offset/deformation for mechanical trail (much more "organic" feel on edge of grip)
- Tyre temperature and pressure will affect feedback
- More distinctive oversteer / understeer feedback

* We recommend using damping in game vs on wheel setting. Damping in game scales with vehicle, so roughly same level for all cars. On wheel / driver damping doesn't scale with wheel gain, so if you have gain too low, damping will overwhelm FFB signal.

** flatspots are currently presented in "raw" form. Given tire is split into many small patches, you will receive "impulses" as there are "flat patches" on tire. It depends on amount of wear on individual patch. Hence the note "raw signal".

*** Road feel is based on physical surface mesh roughness / bumps - which on real vehicles would be "fed back" to the driver via vibration "travelling" thru chassis and as a result will be felt on steering rim especially cars and race cars that have racks bolted directly to chassis, without any sort of insulating "rubber mounts" - take note this would only "vibrate", not "move" wheel rim left-right. Given our gaming controllers are effectievly "1DOF" device - ie. able to move only left or right, we are shaping this vibration such that it can be felt on them too.

IMPORTANT: Custom Force Feedback profiles may be affected by code changes to the FFB system and not work as before the update. If you find that is the case consider sticking to the default profile until the author of the custom alternative updates his version.

Update Notes;

CONTENT
  • Added GT3 series (currently featuring 2015 Mercedes-AMG GT3 & 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 R & 2019 Mclaren 720S GT3)
  • Added GT4 series (currently featuring 2018 Mclaren 570S GT4, 2017 Camaro GT4-R & 2016 Porsche GT4 Cayman Clubsport)
  • Added 2020 Porsche Carrera Cup Brasil (featuring Porsche GT3 Cup 3.8 & 4.0)
  • Added Nurburgring Track (GP, Veedol & Sprint layouts - DLC TRACK, FREE TO ALL USERS FOR A LIMITED TIME

GENERAL
  • Added support for overriding default liveries with user liveries (more info for this soon)
  • Updated Force Feedback system & Added Damping slider to FFB menu
  • Championship mode: Adjusted Stock Car championship rules to better match real regulations ( refuelling permitted in pitstops; use formation+rolling start; added mandatory pitstop; increased minimum race to to 15 mins to allow AI sensible pitting options

UI & HUD
  • Added support for additional UI track filters
  • Fixed incorrect label on FOV options tab when in unselected state
  • Disabled 'Reset to defaults' button in main setup screen when fixed setups are used
  • Fixed RR compound decrease button altering wrong value
  • Further reduced opacity of disabled menu options on in-game screens
  • Fixed incorrect current lap in displayed on HUD when rolling start used
  • Gaps now shown in laps rather than time for lapped vehicles on weekend results
  • Added lobby detail page to multiplayer browser
  • Extended MP player interaction dialog to include Vote To Kick
  • Allowed Player interaction dialog acces to all users (previously host only)
  • Updated all in-game leaderboards to allow access to Player interaction dialog (left click / Joypad X)
  • Fixed player name clipping on in-game MP leaderboards

PHYSICS
  • Revised tyre treads in GT, Prototypes, Stock Cars, Super V8 for more longitudinal slip & improved force combining
  • Slight reduction to parking force FFB (all cars)
  • Fixed missing autolift function in Mini gearbox
  • Adjusted Max force for MRX (all variants)
  • Reduced default viscous lock & preload baseline in cars in LSD diffs
  • Slightly increased speed sensitivity in road tyre tread (60s Classics, F-Vee, Copa Fusca & Uno)
  • Slightly further reducing lock per clutch in LSD differentials
  • Corrected rev range error in Group A engines
  • Adjusted default gear ratios for Group A
  • Adjusted F-Ultimate sidewall stiffness

AI
  • Scaled the pit exit speed by the outlap slowdown factor (this prevents the AI going offroad after leaving the pits in Taruma)
  • Adjusted AI code to minimise weaving
  • Adjusted AI calculations for enforced pitstops in timed races
  • Further AI callibration pass for Group A, Procar & 125cc karts

TRACKS
  • Added animated helicopter & drones to Adelaide, Brasilia, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park. Campo Grande, Cascavel, Curitiba, Imola, Jerez, Silverstone, Montreal, Silverstone 2001,
  • Hockenheim (all versions): Minor art & performance pass
  • Montreal: Object LOD fixes & Minor art & performance pass
  • Londrina: Adjusted triggers & start location
  • Donington: Object LOD fixes; Minor art & performance pass
  • Added VR cams for Adelaide, Kansai & Montreal
  • Goiania: Fixed marbles
  • Taruma: Minor art & performance pass
  • Oulton Park: Fixed broken pitcrew/pitbox marker animations in Oulton / Fosters layouts
  • Added helicopter & drone animations to Granja, Londrina, Hockenheim, Ibarra

VEHICLES
  • F3 (F301) - Revised and updated liveries including new community skin; Updated leather textures on head rests.
  • Metalmoro MRX: Added dirt / damage effects + Dangling damaged parts + new colliders (all variants)
  • Camaro SS - Corrected LOD D glitch
  • Added Gol) Dirt/Damage effects + Detachable boot lid (all variants)

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

The AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is a great place to hang out and discuss the simulation with your fellow sim racing fans. Head over, say hello and come join in the action - start a new thread today!

AMS 2 Update Footer.jpg

Last edited:
You always add a few days to whatever release schedule Reiza gives.
Actually, they've generally stuck to their release dates since the start of EA. It's only the last couple of patches that have seen significant delays, but so what? If something is broken and not ready for release, then it should absolutely be delayed. The state of the aforementioned patches shows what happens when you rush to throw things out the door in an unfinished, untested state.

Do we want a Nords that we can actually drive on and enjoy from day one, or a Nords where we clip through the track and barriers, and runs like crap on even the latest supercomputer because it hasn't had an optimisation pass?

About the bouncing, is it worst since the last update or is it just that I am noticing it more? Like you notice a stain somewhere, you had never seen but had been there for a long time, expect now that you have seen it, it is all you can see now.
I hope Reiza take all the time they need and update AMS2 to give us a non bouncy version, like all the other SIM I enjoy.
At this point, I am waiting patiently but driving an other SIM, as I am not enjoying AMS2 anymore.

Found this on steam forums as I don't have a facebook account. Not sure why the hell Rieza thinks I would. I bought this on steam!
If I’m not mistaken, Reiza posts their status updates to their own official forum, Twitter, and the AMS2 Facebook page, all within a short time of each other. Their Twitter and Facebook pages are publically accessible over the web, no need to have accounts on either of them.
https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/
https://www.facebook.com/Automobilista2/

If I’m not mistaken, Reiza posts their status updates to their own official forum, Twitter, and the AMS2 Facebook page, all within a short time of each other. Their Twitter and Facebook pages are publically accessible over the web, no need to have accounts on either of them.
https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/
https://www.facebook.com/Automobilista2/

I think my point is that I don't have either of those 2 accounts and therefore have zero interest in checking anyone's feeds based on them. I bought the game on steam. Its what I fire up before playing the game. Why not actually post that information in their steam forums as news/announcement. Its odds on people who bought the game on steam, use steam and steam has its own update feed when you visit your library to highlight these sorts of things.

However, they are not alone in this btw. Quite a few devs rely solely on Discord which is the worst platform imaginable for disseminating information to the masses and is usually so full of juvenile banter it is also one of the last places I would visit.

I couldn't see any announcement on their official forums either (maybe I missed it). FWIW, I am more than happy that they delay rather than release broken content and hotfix. It gets tiring trying something only to find its completely broken (a waste of everyone's leisure time).

Its true, I am in my mid 50s and this twitter/facebook crap irritates me no end. :D

Its true, I am in my mid 50s and this twitter/facebook crap irritates me no end. :D
I'm around 15 years younger than you and feel exactly the same way about social media in general. However, the unfortunate fact is that "statistics" show that the best way to reach an audience is through Facebook, Twitter, Discord etc. Hence why companies are moving towards and relying on it. Even RD is a victim of "statistics", hence the creation of our Discord channels despite being opposed to it in the past. Some developers don't even have official forums these days, relying on Discord as their sole form of communication.

So yeah, things change. We can either deal with it or be content with missing the latest news I guess. I opt for the latter, not least because not knowing the moment patch is released is not particularly detrimental to my life.

I tested Nurburgring GP track in VR with Mclaren GT3 in AMS2 and Pcars2 and have to say Pcars 2 is quite a bit better performance wise at same settings. This is a pretty bad engine for aliasing artifacts I have to say and MSAA kills frame rate in VR.

My initial enthusiasm for the title has waned substantially since release.

Very much the same here. I think Nords will be undrivable for me in VR with the aliased shadows (the main item keeping me from enjoying AMS2)

Last edited:
A few more days added to the Nurburgring DLC Pack release

Found this on steam forums as I don't have a facebook account. Not sure why the hell Rieza thinks I would. I bought this on steam!

I tested Nurburgring GP track in VR with Mclaren GT3 in AMS2 and Pcars2 and have to say Pcars 2 is quite a bit better performance wise at same settings. This is a pretty bad engine for aliasing artifacts I have to say and MSAA kills frame rate in VR.

My initial enthusiasm for the title has waned substantially since release.
In order to use MSAA - because without it is an aliasing mess in VR - I had to lower ppd, that's not what you'd really want to do.
Same thing with pixelated things happens with shadows that unless you set them at least high you'd better keep them off.

what's the most demanding setting we should keep turned off in order to improve fps?

Same thing with pixelated things happens with shadows that unless you set them at least high you'd better keep them off.
The trouble with AMS 2 is that even on high, the shadows suffer from serious aliasing. It's like MSAA isn't being applied to them at all, for some reason.

what's the most demanding setting we should keep turned off in order to improve fps?
Probably MSAA, but that's a big compromise between performance and visual quality, especially in VR. It might be better to lower a combination of less demanding settings and keep MSAA on instead, as the drop in quality might be less apparent. Alternatively, in some VR games I find turning MSAA off and raising SS can be a decent compromise instead. DCS for example... MSAA kills FPS, yet with it off I can run 1.6 SS before noticing anything like the same loss.

The trouble with AMS 2 is that even on high, the shadows suffer from serious aliasing. It's like MSAA isn't being applied to them at all, for some reason.

Probably MSAA, but that's a big compromise between performance and visual quality, especially in VR. It might be better to lower a combination of less demanding settings and keep MSAA on instead, as the drop in quality might be less apparent. Alternatively, in some VR games I find turning MSAA off and raising SS can be a decent compromise instead. DCS for example... MSAA kills FPS, yet with it off I can run 1.6 SS before noticing anything like the same loss.
Actually MSAA in Madness is quite light on FPS. SMAA is heavy, MSAA is recommended.

As I said on that very thread linking to my post here, the topic was temporarily closed because instead of discussing and reporting on the latest build, it had devolved into users ranting about the game and people who like it ranting back, as these things usually do. As such, those looking to rant are better off ranting in a release topic such as this one, not in the development forum. Once we have developments added to the game, which we should have later on today the topic will be reopened so people looking to contribute can continue doing so as always.

I appreciate the thoughtful feedback as always :) But the thing is, we don´t expect to bludgeon people into accepting anything - I´m quite alright with people disagreeing with how are going on about it, not buying the game or not playing until we get things done to their satisfaction. But I also disagree with your asssertion that the content is broken - with maybe one or two car exceptions with bigger flaws that we just didn´t realize were so big at the point of release, it just isn´t broken at all - still perfectly playable and enjoyable. You wouldn´t know that from reading release topics here sometimes tho, which is why I feel the counter point was in order :p

As to the merits of the strategy and how well it´s working, the mere fact that we are managing to make these big monthly leaps and adding more and more premium content are the evidence that things are going to plan. Yesterday we had our biggest sales day since release - this is revenue we needed in October to fill our budget for next month, where we´ll proceed with the next step of the plan. If we wait a day more we don´t see that revenue until December, and that would compromise our plans for November. Sitting on a release into another month will cause a hole in our budget we can´t fix overnight, the way we can fix a bug overnight - and with every single penny we make going right back into further developing game by hiring more people, licensing more content, spending more hours on it, it would effectively hurt our ability to make the game better - which in turn it means it hurts you, the user who bought the game, likes it and wants to see it get better.

Now, is there merit to the argument we are overreaching and sometimes stumbling in pushing to make these big scheduled leaps, to the extent a segment of our user base doesn´t really approve, and that the negative comments that come with it mean the results aren´t as good as they would be in an ideal world? Of course, but sometimes you have to take the good with the bad and in this case the balance is positive to our ability to continue making the game better, and that is fundamentally the point.

I appreciate the thoughtful feedback as always :) But the thing is, we don´t expect to bludgeon people into accepting anything - I´m quite alright with people disagreeing with how are going on about it, not buying the game or not playing until we get things done to their satisfaction. But I also disagree with your asssertion that the content is broken - with maybe one or two car exceptions with bigger flaws that we just didn´t realize were so big at the point of release, it just isn´t broken at all - still perfectly playable and enjoyable. You wouldn´t know that from reading release topics here sometimes tho, which is why I feel the counter point was in order :p

As to the merits of the strategy and how well it´s working, the mere fact that we are managing to make these big monthly leaps and adding more and more premium content are the evidence that things are going to plan. Yesterday we had our biggest sales day since release - this is revenue we needed in October to fill our budget for next month, where we´ll proceed with the next step of the plan. If we wait a day more we don´t see that revenue until December, and that would compromise our plans for November. Sitting on a release into another month will cause a hole in our budget we can´t fix overnight, the way we can fix a bug overnight - and with every single penny we make going right back into further developing game by hiring more people, licensing more content, spending more hours on it, it would effectively hurt our ability to make the game better - which in turn it means it hurts you, the user who bought the game, likes it and wants to see it get better.

Now, is there merit to the argument we are overreaching and sometimes stumbling in pushing to make these big scheduled leaps, to the extent a segment of our user base doesn´t really approve, and that the negative comments that come with it mean the results aren´t as good as they would be in an ideal world? Of course, but sometimes you have to take the good with the bad and in this case the balance is positive to our ability to continue making the game better, and that is fundamentally the point.
[/QUOTE]

Guys change anything, but don't change the character of GT3 cars! Your GT 3 cars in game and GT 3 cars from Rfactor 2 are the only GT 3 cars in which I don't have to adapt my driving for a game and I can drive somehow close to reality! In most games, GT3 cars feel like you're driving on wet with slicks or even worse, when in reality GT cars are gripy as hell! I don't know why many associate realism with how hard it is to keep the car on the track, in reality it is fixed in opposition, all the effort of builders, engineers and mechanics is to make a car easy to drive as possible to force every millisecond on the track and to use the the real driving technique, not to have to invent a "new" one - as you have to adapt in most games! There is a reason why most real drivers are not very fast in sim games, and believe me it is not the driving skill!... Anyway your game are one of the few who approach reality from this point of view (the only one I am personally really interested in and the accuracy of the tracks) and I can feel that GT 3 cars glue vibe - in special the lateral grip - which is the problem in most of the sim games, to the track from aero and mechanical grip, the mass transfer, the way you load and unload the car on brake and stuff! Ffb is good too! So thanks I guess and keep up the good work guys!

Last edited:
Finally I got a couple of hours to test AMS2 GT3. For me this and rFactor2 are the BEST.
I only tested the Porsche at Imola. The car are behaving like ... I don't know how to say it ... like expected from such expensive beast.
Cars can go over curbs in Variante Alta without trying to kill you. Also, in Aque Minerali the cars go where you want. Beautiful. FFB is great, I can feel and control the car on the limit and this allowed me to focus more on race line because taming the car felts very natural. Long story short, I always thought an GT3 car should be driven this way.
And, NO. There aren't to many GT3's in sims. In this way anyone can find what they like. And, of course it is even great because the developers must compete with each other to make their GT3 better and better. So it is a WIN - WIN situation ... for all of us ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.1%