Automobilista 2 | New Update, Loads Of Content Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have released their much anticipated new 'landmark' Automobilista 2 game update - including a whole heap of new content for the simulation.

Yes it's here folks - the new build release of Automobilista 2 and some nice new free and paid content for good measure. We've got GT3 and GT4 cars from the likes of Mercedes, Porsche, McLaren and Chevrolet, the German Nurburgring circuit in different configurations, some fresh updates to the force feedback of the game, AI improvements and a load more goodies - certainly marking this one out as a key new update in the development of Automobilista 2 since it left Early Access.

Before we move on to the update notes, be sure to check out a couple of key messages from Reiza about this build:

Release Promo - Temporary free access to the Nurburgring track!

With the Nordschleife and 24h layouts not quite ready for this release, we have elected to temporarily offer the other modern Nurburgring layouts FREE to all users until the long layouts are added to the package at some point next week.

Please be advised that upon the addition of the Nordschleife & 24h layouts, all Nurburgring versions will revert to being available only for owners of the DLC or packages that include it.

Updated Force Feedback

This update adds fresh Force Feedback developments, the most significant being:

- Damping now adjustable via in-game FFB menu *
- Enhanced tyre flatspots **
- Enhanced feedback during braking
- Enhanced road feel (adjustable via FX slider) ***
- Improved scrub effect (adjustable via FX slider)
- Effectively eliminated FFB "deadzone" around center in some cars
- Improved gyro moment accuracy
- Now using SETA patch offset/deformation for mechanical trail (much more "organic" feel on edge of grip)
- Tyre temperature and pressure will affect feedback
- More distinctive oversteer / understeer feedback

* We recommend using damping in game vs on wheel setting. Damping in game scales with vehicle, so roughly same level for all cars. On wheel / driver damping doesn't scale with wheel gain, so if you have gain too low, damping will overwhelm FFB signal.

** flatspots are currently presented in "raw" form. Given tire is split into many small patches, you will receive "impulses" as there are "flat patches" on tire. It depends on amount of wear on individual patch. Hence the note "raw signal".

*** Road feel is based on physical surface mesh roughness / bumps - which on real vehicles would be "fed back" to the driver via vibration "travelling" thru chassis and as a result will be felt on steering rim especially cars and race cars that have racks bolted directly to chassis, without any sort of insulating "rubber mounts" - take note this would only "vibrate", not "move" wheel rim left-right. Given our gaming controllers are effectievly "1DOF" device - ie. able to move only left or right, we are shaping this vibration such that it can be felt on them too.

IMPORTANT: Custom Force Feedback profiles may be affected by code changes to the FFB system and not work as before the update. If you find that is the case consider sticking to the default profile until the author of the custom alternative updates his version.

Update Notes;

CONTENT
  • Added GT3 series (currently featuring 2015 Mercedes-AMG GT3 & 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 R & 2019 Mclaren 720S GT3)
  • Added GT4 series (currently featuring 2018 Mclaren 570S GT4, 2017 Camaro GT4-R & 2016 Porsche GT4 Cayman Clubsport)
  • Added 2020 Porsche Carrera Cup Brasil (featuring Porsche GT3 Cup 3.8 & 4.0)
  • Added Nurburgring Track (GP, Veedol & Sprint layouts - DLC TRACK, FREE TO ALL USERS FOR A LIMITED TIME

GENERAL
  • Added support for overriding default liveries with user liveries (more info for this soon)
  • Updated Force Feedback system & Added Damping slider to FFB menu
  • Championship mode: Adjusted Stock Car championship rules to better match real regulations ( refuelling permitted in pitstops; use formation+rolling start; added mandatory pitstop; increased minimum race to to 15 mins to allow AI sensible pitting options

UI & HUD
  • Added support for additional UI track filters
  • Fixed incorrect label on FOV options tab when in unselected state
  • Disabled 'Reset to defaults' button in main setup screen when fixed setups are used
  • Fixed RR compound decrease button altering wrong value
  • Further reduced opacity of disabled menu options on in-game screens
  • Fixed incorrect current lap in displayed on HUD when rolling start used
  • Gaps now shown in laps rather than time for lapped vehicles on weekend results
  • Added lobby detail page to multiplayer browser
  • Extended MP player interaction dialog to include Vote To Kick
  • Allowed Player interaction dialog acces to all users (previously host only)
  • Updated all in-game leaderboards to allow access to Player interaction dialog (left click / Joypad X)
  • Fixed player name clipping on in-game MP leaderboards

PHYSICS
  • Revised tyre treads in GT, Prototypes, Stock Cars, Super V8 for more longitudinal slip & improved force combining
  • Slight reduction to parking force FFB (all cars)
  • Fixed missing autolift function in Mini gearbox
  • Adjusted Max force for MRX (all variants)
  • Reduced default viscous lock & preload baseline in cars in LSD diffs
  • Slightly increased speed sensitivity in road tyre tread (60s Classics, F-Vee, Copa Fusca & Uno)
  • Slightly further reducing lock per clutch in LSD differentials
  • Corrected rev range error in Group A engines
  • Adjusted default gear ratios for Group A
  • Adjusted F-Ultimate sidewall stiffness

AI
  • Scaled the pit exit speed by the outlap slowdown factor (this prevents the AI going offroad after leaving the pits in Taruma)
  • Adjusted AI code to minimise weaving
  • Adjusted AI calculations for enforced pitstops in timed races
  • Further AI callibration pass for Group A, Procar & 125cc karts

TRACKS
  • Added animated helicopter & drones to Adelaide, Brasilia, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park. Campo Grande, Cascavel, Curitiba, Imola, Jerez, Silverstone, Montreal, Silverstone 2001,
  • Hockenheim (all versions): Minor art & performance pass
  • Montreal: Object LOD fixes & Minor art & performance pass
  • Londrina: Adjusted triggers & start location
  • Donington: Object LOD fixes; Minor art & performance pass
  • Added VR cams for Adelaide, Kansai & Montreal
  • Goiania: Fixed marbles
  • Taruma: Minor art & performance pass
  • Oulton Park: Fixed broken pitcrew/pitbox marker animations in Oulton / Fosters layouts
  • Added helicopter & drone animations to Granja, Londrina, Hockenheim, Ibarra

VEHICLES
  • F3 (F301) - Revised and updated liveries including new community skin; Updated leather textures on head rests.
  • Metalmoro MRX: Added dirt / damage effects + Dangling damaged parts + new colliders (all variants)
  • Camaro SS - Corrected LOD D glitch
  • Added Gol) Dirt/Damage effects + Detachable boot lid (all variants)

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

The AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is a great place to hang out and discuss the simulation with your fellow sim racing fans. Head over, say hello and come join in the action - start a new thread today!

AMS 2 Update Footer.jpg

Last edited:
Ok this is weird. Can't break traction and do a donut in a rear wheel drive, v powerful car with all assists off (porsche) and cant lock brakes in a straight line at all in Mclrean, like the abs is permanent. Am i missing something here?
No it’s not you. The cup car is basically unspinnable. I’m a beta tester and noted this but they basically said that a lot of users don’t know how these cars should handle and it sounded like they were happy with the current physics.

I’m sure some of the less hardcore sim folks will love it for how easy it is to drive but I’m disappointed in the realism in a lot of ways.

No it’s not you. The cup car is basically unspinnable. I’m a beta tester and noted this but they basically said that a lot of devs don’t know how these cars should handle and it sounded like they were happy with the current physics.

I’m sure some of the less hardcore sim folks will love it for how easy it is to drive but I’m disappointed in the realism in a lot of ways.

Rephrased for fun... :roflmao:

I agree with what one person said...PLEASE FIX THE CAMERA BOUNCE IN VR. I get motions sickness quicker with this game (...)
this!
I still can't drive more than 20 minutes without having to stop because of nausea. I can play any other driving games for hours long.

No matter how I set that slider it makes me feel sick even on the straights (!!!)

Last edited:
Unfortunately there wasn't really a beta for these cars, we only got to try them a day before release, not really sure what the point of that is when there's a huge beta user base atm.

True for the Cayman, but we spotted the same issue immediately also for the other cars.
They even said it was fixed.

BTW, no big issue, but it's fun to see people liking it.
It's a nice indicator of the average level of simracers... :D

No it’s not you. The cup car is basically unspinnable. I’m a beta tester and noted this but they basically said that a lot of users don’t know how these cars should handle and it sounded like they were happy with the current physics.

The Cup cars are tragic, such a disappointment

"they basically said that a lot of users don’t know how these cars should handle" - If that's true it's even more tragic :(

Last edited:
but Where is BMW???
Delayed, like Nordschleife. It's not the end of the world.

Unfortunately there wasn't really a beta for these cars, we only got to try them a day before release, not really sure what the point of that is when there's a huge beta user base atm.
This can be put down to the community as much as it's down to Reiza. Just look at the threads about this patch over the last couple of days, with people demanding it's release and getting all angry because it was delayed for a day. Those with beta access only got it the day before release because that's when it was ready. To give those guys longer would have meant, Heaven forbid... delaying the patch and risking the fury of the entitled vocal minority. :confused:

Anyway, I've tried the new stuff and have to agree with others in this thread. The new cars are mostly underwhelming, in my opinion. The Porsche sounds are not great... they sound muffled, like I'm listening to them through a pair of earmuffs. The GT4 McLaren sounds like it's drawing it's air directly from the cockpit.

Handling-wise... I don't know. I had fun throwing the GT3s around the Nurb, but that doesn't mean they felt "right". I try not to directly compare sims too much, since I have no idea which ones have it "right" and which ones have it "wrong", since I've never driven any of these cars for real. But the GT3s just feel a bit off in AMS 2 to me.

As for the new FFB... yes it's better, no I still don't think it's anything like as good as the custom profiles. The custom profile I was using clearly doesn't work properly after that patch... yet it still feels better than the default FFB. :O_o:

Oh well, I'll give them some more time later and see if my opinion improves.

It's a nice indicator of the average level of simracers...
Please don't start labelling people based on their personal opinions. You know and I know that it'll just get people's backs up and result in an argument.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%