Automobilista 2 | New Update And Historic Spa Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have recently dropped another new build of their Automobilista 2 racing simulation to Steam, adding a wealth of new fixes and the 1993 variant of the stunning Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.
  • New update 1.1.2.0 released.
  • Spa 1993 added as free content for owners of the original track.
  • Many fixes, tweaks and improvements deployed.

The new build dropped right at the very close of February, and with it a very nice collection of further tweaks, updates and improvements have been deployed to the simulation on Steam - with plenty of tasty changes that are sure to excite both offline and online players of the title.

In terms of content, the new build includes both the 1993 Spa Francorchamps circuit layout, and the 1999 Stock Car Brazil Opel Omega Series and Sauber C9 and Porsche 962 cars of the Group C variety.

Game wise, the latest build also addresses some further force feedback and AI improvements, tweaks to the UI interface and various physics improvements, as detailed below.

AMS 2 Update Middle.jpg

CONTENT

Tracks

• Added Spa Francorchamps 1993 layout
Vehicles
  • Added Group C class featuring Sauber Mercedes C9 & Porsche 962C
  • Added Stock Car 1999 Omega series
GENERAL
  • Implemented new LiveTrack wet weather rubber washing (rubber is now gradually washed away from track surface as it gets saturated with water)
  • Expanded available opponent classes to 9 (10 total)
  • Bumped headlight range from 160 to 240m for all cars
  • Corrected number of opponents in Championship mode to match the series current total number of opponents
  • Added function to set different presets of rubber depending on type of session (making option available to player will soon follow)
  • Added new functions to control when vehicle headlights & tail lights should remain on and DRS rules remain disabled based on track wetness threshold (previously was solely based on environment light levels)
  • Replaced Spa 2020 with Spa 1993 on the calendar of pre-2005 championships

UI & HUD
  • Re-styled event rules & regulations page
  • Re-styled single player opponent settings page
  • Added help texts to online Opponent settings screen
  • Fixed wrong value link on gear 7/8 assignments
  • Fixed redundant adjustable wing setup option being available for cars without such aero components
  • Corrected tire names for various cars using street or semi-slick compounds
  • Fixed missing French & German localization for track limits setting
  • Adjusted font size on track limit warnings labels for Rules & Regulations UI screen

FFB
  • Introduced routine to reset FFB in case of FFB loss (game detects the loss and reset FFB automatically, should be seamless for player)
  • Adjusted default FFB profile for more accurate self-aligning torque, milder force spikes over big bumps and other such sudden tire oad.change; adjusted effect from braking torque (should provide better feedback during lockups); split FX signal from Low Force Boost setting

PHYSICS
  • Added slow damping function to all tires (generally improves tire damping & fixes bouncing effect at very slow speeds previously proeminent in formula cars)
  • Added intermediate & extreme tyre compounds for modern protos, GTs & formulas
  • Adjusted tire tread for 60s touring cars, Opalas, Copas Fusca, Uno, Truck, Caterham Academy & F-Trainer
  • Adjusted semi-slick tire tread (F-Trainer Advanced, Caterhams, ARC Camaro)
  • Adjusted F-Vee, Opala 1979 & Old Stock tire treads
  • Increased RPM threshold for reduced engine life in 2-stroke karts
  • Moved Metalmoro AJR diffuser center of pressure rearwards by 2cm (slightly rebalancing overall aero distribution)
  • Slightly falloff rates in rain for all slick tires (addressing issues with tires losing all adherence beyond a certain saturation point)
  • Minor stifness adjustment to GT / Proto / StockCar tire carcasses
  • Added minor preload resistance to open diffs in cars with more powerful engines
  • Adjusted Porsche 911 GT1 engine compression curve
  • Adjusted default gear ratios for Mclaren F1 GTR & Mercedes CLK in GT1 class
  • Minor crankshaft mass adjustments to F1 cars
  • Corrected 720S GT3 negative rear toe setting (setup reset recommended)
  • Moved default brake bias slightly rearwards for Copa Truck, F-Trainers (requires setup reset recommended)

AI
  • Various AI behavior improvements, adding car-specific parameters to improve their overtaking assesments both against human player and AI vs AI
  • Added car-specific overrides for previously global parameters controlling the amount of lifting off the throttle AI would do while running over puddles, & introduced new car-specific parameter controlling the amount of lifting while on wet tires (generally less than on dry tires, improves their straightline performance when going through large amounts of standing water)
  • Added several car-specific overrides for previously global AI parameters such as brake and reaccelaration distance thresholds, start reaction times, distance triggers for defending position
  • Reduced likelihood of AI crashing into wall when side by side with human
  • Increased AI drivers performance range
  • Minor AI callibration pass for performance dropoff with tire wear
  • Azure: Smoothed corridors in several locations
  • Slightly increased AI grip @ Bathurst, Nurburgring GP & Velocitta

TRACKS
  • Adelaide: reduced road mesh noise; smooth curb at entrance to T13
  • Imola: Fixed camera man pop up
  • Kyalami: removed glitchy helicopter animation
  • Silverstone: trimmed 3D grass clipping walls in some places; fixed a few object pop ups; consolidated some grand stands into larger objects (same materials); optimized shadows
  • Revised "Max AI participants" for various tracks, correcting when this differed from available garage slots
  • Disabled DOF blur in all trackside VR cams for tracks that have them (currently only Grade A tracks)

VEHICLES
  • F-V10 Gen2: fixed visual tire tread not corresponding the actual tire when switching from wet to dry
  • F-Classic (all gens): added Dirt/Scratch map + New UV channel 3 mapping for carbon fiber cockpit material
  • Copa Montana: added Dirt/Scratch map
  • BMW M6 GT3: Fixed red carpaint issue in cockpit view (car #91)
  • F-V10: Fixed visual glitch with windscreen in rain
  • Gol Classic B: Fixed front splitter glitch
  • Ultima GTR: Fixed oil pressure needle
  • F3 F309: corrected RPM bars range
  • Lancer R & RS: Livery override entry added for windscreen and wing
  • Corrected cockpit POV in Metalmoro AJR, Mclaren 570S, Ultima GTR
  • Corrected rain tire tread for F-Retros

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 - available now exclusively to PC.

Want to know more about the sim? Got a trick or tip to share with the community? Fire up a thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and share that knowledge!

AMS 2 Update Footer.jpg

Attachments

• AMS 2 Update Header.jpg
    AMS 2 Update Header.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
And boom! Just like that, theres another one. Man these folks are fast! I mentioned the Omega A.I. probelm in my video on the Omega and in the forums as im sure others did and as if by magic, theres an update on that! Seems they really listen to their comunity at Reiza, i really like their process! So I am now off to try that A.I. update, ive got a feeling its gunna make my day! Bravo Reiza!
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1066890/view/3035961090202848776 Oh yeah and the Porsche gets an LSD!

This is a minor hotfix to complement and correct a few things from the latest release.

V1.1.2.1 Changelog:
  • Fixed bug where blue flag could be triggered incorrectly in some instances
  • Minor adjustments to aero / tires for Group C cars & Omega
  • Minor Group C BoP adjustment to improve 962C pace against Sauber C9 (slightly better aero efficiency)
  • Minor AI callibration pass for Prototypes, SprintRace & SuperV8
  • Adjusted Turbo Volume for Sauber C9
  • Increased wet grip for concrete, low grip roads, curbs & astrotruf
  • Spa-Francorchamps 1993: New AI path revision addressing some slow corners; minor art pass correcting some objects popping
  • Ibarra: Reworked outer terrain export settings to solve LOD pop in rear view mirror
  • Updated StockCar Omega interior textures

Small Update / Patch Notes
Posted
Wed, March 3 8.17am

Another build (1559) now live with further content adjustments (no change in version number as exe remained the same):
  • Fixed Porsche 962c still having spool enabled (now its a setup optional)
  • Further art pass for Spa Francorchamps 1993
  • Minor audio adjustments to Sauber C9, Omega Stock Car
  • Minor AI callibration pass for all F1 cars, Opala 1986, Omega 1999, StockV8 & Sprintrace
  • Adjusted Omega StockCar windshield texture

Last edited:
I wanted to go back to AMS2, however the button mapping for CSL Elite simply does not work for shift assignment. I can't use left shifter (left hand handicap), so in every other game I map shift down to a button - or I switch the wheel for my MCL GT3 one, because you can upshift and downshift with the same hand, rally style.

In AMS2 the UI for button mapping registers the new button input, but in game it does not work. So I have to quick release and plug the GT3 one, restart the game, the CSL wheel I can't use, unless I use auto shift.

I've deleted the settngs folder, reinstalled the whole game. Button mapping for shifters does not work on CSLE.

It's sad because there is so much content and FFB feels good, yet bugs like this plus other annoyances plague the game. For me at least. On the good side, xbox controller support is not too bad.
Did you try to select custom wheel instead of CSL elite? I don’t know it works but you always can try.

What, did you race them all three in real life?! You lucky basterd!
To answer both, yes and yes though for different reasons. 1st, I started my racing career in the mid to late 60's and raced through to the late 80's early 90's (Though I did do several Historic events till the early 200's before a serious spinal injury (non motorsport related) curtailed my activities. I always loved Spa although I'm not a particular fan of the current F1 inspired variant (maybe if F1 are so concerned about safety and more probably how many paying race fans they can cram into a circuit, they should use some of the billions of dollars they are making to build their own circuits). As for being lucky then also yes but on 2 counts. 1, I got to race on some fantastic tracks that are sadly no more and 2, I'm still here to talk about it. Too many of my friends gave their lives to our great sport during the period I raced in and are no longer with us may they all Rest in Peace

FWIW my ancient ECCI wheel uses the generic HID-compliant game controller driver. Its paddle shifters are seen by all my sim titles as buttons no different than the buttons I press with my thumbs and they’ve worked for me since day one of owning AMS 2.

thats right, because its a generic device. I assume, as of PC1/PC2 was parallel developped for PC/XBox/PS, some assignments were hardcoded for known manufacturers. Easier for casual players, sometimes unusable for pro's.
SMS seemed not to care about that. I pushed that back in WMD days more than once, because they didn't recognice a Thrustmaster TX with a TM F1 wheel correct.
But i think Reiza will fix that too :thumbsup:

I love A2, I practically only ride on it. I ride in virtual reality and it's extraordinary. The biggest flaw for me to correct (and no one ever talks about it) is that you can't adjust the mirrors. It is necessary in virtual reality, like in a real car. Sometimes it goes with certain models, but often I have to bend down a bit to see my opponents. Well, I'm still a huge, huge fan and I hope Reiza will take my advice into account.

I wanted to go back to AMS2, however the button mapping for CSL Elite simply does not work for shift assignment. I can't use left shifter (left hand handicap), so in every other game I map shift down to a button - or I switch the wheel for my MCL GT3 one, because you can upshift and downshift with the same hand, rally style.

In AMS2 the UI for button mapping registers the new button input, but in game it does not work. So I have to quick release and plug the GT3 one, restart the game, the CSL wheel I can't use, unless I use auto shift.

I've deleted the settngs folder, reinstalled the whole game. Button mapping for shifters does not work on CSLE.

It's sad because there is so much content and FFB feels good, yet bugs like this plus other annoyances plague the game. For me at least. On the good side, xbox controller support is not too bad.
Try creating a custom profile instead of using the CSL profile. I had the same problem with the shifter assignments with my DD1, creating a custom profile solved the problem.
Edit: sorry, I didn't see that somebody else had already suggested this.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years