Automobilista 2 | New Nordschleife Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have revealed some further preview images from their upcoming Nürburgring Nordschliefe track coming to Automobilista 2 in the very near future.
  • Nordschliefe update expected next week.
  • Nurburgring DLC remains free to all until Nords layout added.
  • Further game update expected alongside track release.
In the last few days Brazilian development team Reiza Studios released a sizeable new update and content drop for their Automobilista 2 racing simulation. Initially the key new content item of this build was to be the Nürburgring Nordschliefe and various alternative layout configurations, however further development time was required by the team, and as such initial release found itself delayed by a few days whilst finishing touches are applied to the track.

In typical Reiza style, in order to make up for the disappointment the studio elected to allow free for all access to the current Nürburgring DLC, until such a time as the Nordschliefe track is released fully to the simulation.

Well, that time is fast approaching it seems, and to help build the tension we've got a few new preview images to feast our eyes upon ahead of the as yet unconfirmed release date. So, feast away...

AMS 2 Nords 2.jpg
AMS 2 Nords 3.jpg

Original Source: Reiza Studios Twitter

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check out the RaceDepartment Automobilista 2 sub forum for a place to hang out with fellow AMS 2 fans, share tips and tricks to maximise your experience with the simulation and grab all the latest news regarding the title.

AMS 2 Nords 1.jpg

Last edited:
Talking about trees...
is there a way to make them static and not 'camera facing'?

I can understand spectators staring at you when you approach them, but... trees?!? Near trees in VR are... weird

(yes, not a big problem, I know)

Talking about trees...
is there a way to make them static and not 'camera facing'?

I can understand spectators staring at you when you approach them, but... trees?!? Near trees in VR are... weird

(yes, not a big problem, I know)

On the Green Hell, trees are watching you. They are 2D, which is great for performance and not really a problem on a monitor, although in VR it is not ideal except for performance.

Last edited:
The updates are out.
The Bummer News: no BMW as shown in the Nords video from earlier today
The Positive News: Nurburgring DLC is listed at the same price as the two prior track DLCs

EDIT: Nords > Nurburgring for DLC

Last edited:
On the Green Hell, trees are watching you. They are 2D, which is great for performance and not really a problem on a monitor, although in VR it is not ideal except for performance.

I play exclusively in VR and tbh, I don't mind these 2D trees at all. I actually think they look better than the crappy 3D trees I've seen in other titles. They actually look like trees for one. I certainly appreciate the performance gain they provide.

EDIT: Disclaimer.. I have not seen the AMS2 version of Nords yet, I am going by my experiences in rf2 when relating 2D trees in VR.

EDIT2: Just took AMS2 Nords for a spin in VR with no AI. Looks pretty good to me with the 2D trees. I get some very bad stutter approaching the Carousel though. Everywhere else seems smooth enough (which tbh I would expect with no AI).

EDIT3: (last one I promise :) ). Took the M1 Pro Car around Nords for a few laps. Circuit looks good imo. I can't attest to its absolute accuracy but seems OK to me. I'm sure the Nords afficianados will fill in those details soon enough.

M1 Pro car is great fun to drive around Nords. I think the track needs an optimisation pass though (at least for VR). I get the odd dropped frame (not too bad and not too often) and the stutter around the Carousel is really really bad.

FWIW I run an i7 7700K@4.8 with 1080ti and 32gig ram and Vive Pro. The aliasing in this engine is bad if you ask me. Mind you, I was running no MSAA, no FXAA and Supersampling was only 115% which means the aliasing is very present, but any degree of MSAA kills the frame rate for me and in VR , frame rate is king.

Last edited:
Addendum to my post above. I turned on "Use Legacy Projection Mode" (this is NOT motion smoothing and it is not interleaved reprojection either, its just the old way SteamVR used to do reprojection).

This actually severely reduced / eliminated any stutter for me on Nords in VR (still some very minor stuttuer at the carousel) . Half the stutter in VR is because SteamVR has become a bloated mess over time. Anyway, just a tip and as usual YMMV.

There is a bit of Z-fighting happening on some of barriers but fairly rare

Really enjoying fanging the M1 Pro car around the circuit (on my lonesome).

Last edited:
Porches are still super bouncy....
Drove the Cayman GT4 on the Nordschleife and the bouncing did seem a bit exagerated, but then watched an onboard video of the real car on the Nords and the real Cayman does seem to be super bouncy. The real car was even bouncing the most on the same places where I was bouncing the most in the game.

It's hard to compare using a youtube video, so I don't knot how accurate the bouncing is, but it does not seem to be too far from the truth.

I play exclusively in VR and tbh, I don't mind these 2D trees at all. I actually think they look better than the crappy 3D trees I've seen in other titles. They actually look like trees for one. I certainly appreciate the performance gain they provide.

EDIT: Disclaimer.. I have not seen the AMS2 version of Nords yet, I am going by my experiences in rf2 when relating 2D trees in VR.

EDIT2: Just took AMS2 Nords for a spin in VR with no AI. Looks pretty good to me with the 2D trees. I get some very bad stutter approaching the Carousel though. Everywhere else seems smooth enough (which tbh I would expect with no AI).

EDIT3: (last one I promise :) ). Took the M1 Pro Car around Nords for a few laps. Circuit looks good imo. I can't attest to its absolute accuracy but seems OK to me. I'm sure the Nords afficianados will fill in those details soon enough.

M1 Pro car is great fun to drive around Nords. I think the track needs an optimisation pass though (at least for VR). I get the odd dropped frame (not too bad and not too often) and the stutter around the Carousel is really really bad.

FWIW I run an i7 7700K@4.8 with 1080ti and 32gig ram and Vive Pro. The aliasing in this engine is bad if you ask me. Mind you, I was running no MSAA, no FXAA and Supersampling was only 115% which means the aliasing is very present, but any degree of MSAA kills the frame rate for me and in VR , frame rate is king.
Try the xml edit in AMS 2 documents, i cant remember what needs to be changed (search around in the reiza forums) but makes the game look much much better in VR, while having 0% performance cost.

Last edited:
Apparently I found a bug in my setup regarding traction control for GT3-4 (and probably all the other vehicles implementing such features).

The only way for fully disable TC is to set assist in the authenticity menu to FULL and then act on each of the options passing to OFF.

In this way finally it is possible to spin tires at will and driving (with some modifications to default setups) is greatly improved and much more convincing.

I’m quite sure some other guys are affected by the same problem so, try the workaround. It has done the trick for me.

At the end Reiza was quite right about grip envelop (for sure some recent passes of tune helped as well) but we were right as well in detecting ‘shadow’ assists where should have been none...

That said, suspensions values are still (IMHO) wrong on several cars (some F1 cars continue to bounce with no damping at all at standstill) but I’m sure they will look into it.

At the moment I think we are at the point where suspension (to stay on topic) of disbelief works fine enough and any other issue can be tolerated. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Apparently I found a bug in my setup regarding traction control for GT3-4 (and probably all the other vehicles implementing such features).

The only way for fully disable TC is to set assist in the authenticity menu to FULL and then act on each of the options passing to OFF.

If that's actually true it makes you wonder what else is not working correctly.

I mean, you would expect someone to test if settings like that do work if you put them in, right?

Last edited:
If something else is not working we will for sure catch it and report, as usual.

At the moment I’m quite satisfied with the new cars driving, no matter the suspension issues.

any tips about setup ? i know it's personal taste but maybe some indication got a better feeling on track.
Thank you

mexxxx

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 155 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 151 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%