Automobilista 2 | New Hotfix Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a new hotfix update for Automobilista 2 - adding a number of fixes and improvements to the simulation.

Hotfix update time for Automobilista 2 players... a new build is now available to download for the PC racing simulation, and with it comes a nice collection of updates that include yet further enhancements to the AI behaviour, some changes to various cars and most importantly of all - a reduction in the 'bumpiness' experienced by many players with the new Porsche content within the game.

Hotfix Update 1.0.5.1 Notes:
  • Small improvements to the logic of AI to avoid invading of human line on straights when far from curves
  • Fixed non-linear bumpstop code
  • Revised suspension for Porsches
  • Revised Mclaren 720S GT3 aero, brakes & drivetrain
  • Revised Mclaren 570S aero & brakes
  • Revised GT3 / Prototype tire tread for slightly more longitudinal slip
  • Corrected Mclaren 720S stats & onboard cameras
  • Updated volumes of all Porsche GT3 / Cup cars and minor improvements to GT3-R sound set
  • Nurburgring: Smoothed harsh road bumps along the pit lane entrance; conform some overlay mainly in pit lane region (road line, kerb verge, grass verge, road seam) fixed some tyrewall Z fighting & some object LOD popping; reorganized bollard/cone for Veedol chicane layout; Minor Art pass
  • Goania: Minor art pass

Original Source: Reiza Studios.

AMS 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

The AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is a great place to hang out and discuss the simulation with your fellow sim racing fans. Head over, say hello and come join in the action - start a new thread today!

AMS 2 1.jpg

Last edited:
Really is it. I think the gamepad is not optimized. Project cars 1 gamepad is much better optimized than 2.
I'm playing pCars2 on a pad right now (because waiting for wheel coming back after RMA) and it's a blast, if dialed in correctly. I have to reduce AI difficulty to something like 100, but Panoz GT1 at Zhuhai or Group C at Nordschleife doesn't cause any issues.

The most complicated thing was to configure stick damping and speed dependent steering to my liking without running into loss of control or game induced understeer(which actually isn't understeer, but just not steering enough and soon enough). And driving aids aren't required at all. :)

Last edited:
Furthermore... let's imagine that you'd be able to do that with IRL cars. Plug in a gamepad and drive them.

Who in their right mind would try to drive at high speeds? Sounds very very suicidal. The accuracy of the steering input (and lack of tyre feedback) would not be enough to drive a racecar 200-300 km/h safely, no matter how well the "controls" would be "implemented".

So if you think about it... wouldn't a "good gamepad support" mean the simulator is actually bad?

Because it wouldn't be simulating much. Yeah, it can be made drivable with additional assists, but then it indeed enters the game territory, moving away from the simulator territory. For that particular user

You can continue to argue that these simulators are just "games" but they actually aren't... they are consumer level simulators. And also used by many motorsport professionals to practice. For example Wolfgang Reip rates AMS1 very highly in terms of realism. Don't know what he thinks about AMS2

No, they aren't 100% realistic, but they are in the right ballpark. And that ballpark isn't a place, where a gamepad would be the ideal control method

Seriously!!!! I could poke holes all through your "argument", but why bother.;)

I tried both ACC and AMS2 for the first time last night. Both felt easier to drive than some I've played in the past. I couldn't seem to light up the rear of cars in the game's that much.

AMS2 definitely doesn't have the graphical fidelity of ACC, though. At least both run flat out on my aging 4790K with 2070 SUPER.

I set off in one of the classic formula cars (80s or 90s I forget) and that was bouncing along at it drove down the pitlane :-/

I tried AMS right after AMS2 and it felt more difficult. Though both AMS2 and ACC felt like there was some assistance/guidance turned on, even though I think all the aids were disabled :-/

I tried both ACC and AMS2 for the first time last night. Both felt easier to drive than some I've played in the past. I couldn't seem to light up the rear of cars in the game's that much.

AMS2 definitely doesn't have the graphical fidelity of ACC, though. At least both run flat out on my aging 4790K with 2070 SUPER.

I set off in one of the classic formula cars (80s or 90s I forget) and that was bouncing along at it drove down the pitlane :-/

I tried AMS right after AMS2 and it felt more difficult. Though both AMS2 and ACC felt like there was some assistance/guidance turned on, even though I think all the aids were disabled :-/
Harder =/= realistic.

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen that leveled in the past: GTR was extremely hard then GTR2 handled easier, as it wasn't really that hard to drive. Same has been said about Grand Prix Legends. But I found it strange it's less easy to floor the throttle and spin out (at least depending on type of car driven; the turbo older F1 cars are a handful!).

I missed the last build of AMS2 - the one where the Touring Cars were added. I did like the Force Feedback and had great fun lapping a Caterham - the 125 bhp one - around Donington. That’s a combo I have experienced in real life so feel it’s a great test and great fun for me.

Not sure what is going on after the latest FFB and tyre updates but the Caterham hugely understeers into turn 1 in particular. All corners in fact but that’s the most pronounced. Now that is a tricky corner and you do see lots of cars going off there on a track day.

Was it like this in this last build?

I deleted the AMS2 folder in documents after the update. It felt more natural a couple of builds ago and I’m not sure that the FFB is better now either. Different but not necessarily better on my need T300 Wheel - need to dial that in.

The understeer is bothering me as it really is taking the fun out of hotlapping.

Any ideas?

Thanks

As for more bugs it seems the pit limiter is also kind of buggy. Switching between 1st and 2nd you can go from 59 to 89 or so without getting a penalty with the pit limiter enabled (why is pit limiter not on by default when leaving pits...). Works in the porsche and merc gt3 cars, iirc did not work in the mclaren. It also seems dry tires are quicker in the rain if you had them on before it started raining. I've had multiple cases where it r ains cats and dogs and I'm the fastest guy on track with worn slicks. Also driving in the rain on slicks is almost effortless in the gt3s as the traction control gives you absolutely perfect and precise wheelspin. You can literally smash throttle and hold the steering wheel with your pinky finger while holding an effortless slip angle at full throttle and the tc does all the work with perfect smoothness. Abs doesn't seem to work correctly either. I've locked a tire multiple times with abs at default setting. Like total lock with tons of smoke while braking straight.

Setup screen still seems to bug out randomly and goes into lockdown. Don't change anything unless you can live with it. I pressed a button to lower the turbo pressure or whatever and then setup locked so I could not turn it back up again.. Many cars by default have multiple diffs enabled at the same time (maybe they all have viscous lsd... or three types of diffs in some cars). Also for some reason the setup screen is locked for the last minute of practice or qualifying but is open once it moves to waiting the beginning of race session.. for some reason. And can't make the look left/right movement instant. The super slow head turning is very annoying and unrealistic. Actual human eyes focus to a target very quickly and don't slowly pan towards a target on left or right. It is called saccade.

As for the bouncy castle effects. The cars, even the porsche gt3 eats kerbs like nothing. You can basically drive over an another gt3 car and there is no grip loss or loss of control of any kind. But touch a kerb when turning and the car literally turns into a boat in heavy weather. Like in imola you can totally eat the kerbs at aqua minerale and the car just glides over everything. But if you even think about slightly raised painted white lines while going through variante alta the car just turns into a youtube video "boat in inlet". Meanwhile the mclaren eats all kerbs like nothing. It is so unrealistic in both cases that it is just sad.

Every update seems to make me more confused about how I feel about it, The Porsches were still bouncing, the AI was still moving about for no reason and I've tried the default and some of the new custom FFB profiles and I sort of feel I prefered the feedback at some point in alpha.

All subjective I guess and you can't please everyone. Oh well maybe one day we'll have the sound of raceroom, the ffb of rf2, the graphics of AMS2 (if you run in VR and mod community of AC. I won't wait for it though.

As for more bugs it seems the pit limiter is also kind of buggy. Switching between 1st and 2nd you can go from 59 to 89 or so without getting a penalty with the pit limiter enabled (why is pit limiter not on by default when leaving pits...). Works in the porsche and merc gt3 cars, iirc did not work in the mclaren. It also seems dry tires are quicker in the rain if you had them on before it started raining. I've had multiple cases where it r ains cats and dogs and I'm the fastest guy on track with worn slicks. Also driving in the rain on slicks is almost effortless in the gt3s as the traction control gives you absolutely perfect and precise wheelspin. You can literally smash throttle and hold the steering wheel with your pinky finger while holding an effortless slip angle at full throttle and the tc does all the work with perfect smoothness. Abs doesn't seem to work correctly either. I've locked a tire multiple times with abs at default setting. Like total lock with tons of smoke while braking straight.

Setup screen still seems to bug out randomly and goes into lockdown. Don't change anything unless you can live with it. I pressed a button to lower the turbo pressure or whatever and then setup locked so I could not turn it back up again.. Many cars by default have multiple diffs enabled at the same time (maybe they all have viscous lsd... or three types of diffs in some cars). Also for some reason the setup screen is locked for the last minute of practice or qualifying but is open once it moves to waiting the beginning of race session.. for some reason. And can't make the look left/right movement instant. The super slow head turning is very annoying and unrealistic. Actual human eyes focus to a target very quickly and don't slowly pan towards a target on left or right. It is called saccade.

As for the bouncy castle effects. The cars, even the porsche gt3 eats kerbs like nothing. You can basically drive over an another gt3 car and there is no grip loss or loss of control of any kind. But touch a kerb when turning and the car literally turns into a boat in heavy weather. Like in imola you can totally eat the kerbs at aqua minerale and the car just glides over everything. But if you even think about slightly raised painted white lines while going through variante alta the car just turns into a youtube video "boat in inlet". Meanwhile the mclaren eats all kerbs like nothing. It is so unrealistic in both cases that it is just sad.

Thanks for that, lots of rather big issues to be solved. But it seems Reiza tends to prefer delivering new contents rather than refining and fine-tuning the existing content. I would personnaly prefer another approach with less new content but greatly done. By exemple not release at the same time GT3's and GT4's. May be only one GT3 car at a time.

With all the issues, I would say it is still a good game to play and I have fun with it but that's all. I won't recommand it and I won't say this is the most realistic and interesting simulator. But is that the goal of Reiza? May be they just want to deliver a fun car game and it's ok. I don't know about that.

• Deleted member 197115

May be they just want to deliver a fun car game and it's ok. I don't know about that.
Or forced to stay on that delivery schedule to fulfill promised Season Pass content (if anyone actually bought it) and sell DLCs.

Can anybody share ffb settings for Fanatec dd1 or dd2? I always run the recommended settings from fanatec, but until now they are not updated to the new ffb. i have no clue about all the settings and always happy with the recommended settings.

Ingame and tuningmenu settings would be nice.
After this update I had insane shaking in my DD1, posted up on their facebook and got immediate help, the way LFB works was changed and for direct drive wheels should not need to on anything above 10. As you increase LFB slider you eventually start getting oscillation in the wheel, for me at anything above 10. I use these settings below and quite happy with them, really great for the open wheelers, can be a tad to hard on some of the older cars though, dial back FF from the wheel if required.

The FX settings is a "to taste" thing, at this time I am on open wheelers and they can be a bit bland at lower FX settings, but for example the very old f1's i dial FX back a lot, to under 30 otherwise its bone shattering, and even then its variable on a per track/car combo basis, some tracks are just more boring/bland than other so i may dial it up down on the fly.

Important to remember there is no "best settings" because ffb is quite a subjective matter, and different for everyone, and everyone expects a different result, and the devs have to try make you feel things in the wheel, you you were never meant to feel in a wheel, because it the only place to give that feedback for most. I prefer more road feel, others want no road feel, some what to feel the car idling, others dont etc etc. just poke around till you find what makes you happy, the only real change is how hard I make the wheel and that is on a per car basis sometimes, because i like a car that can self rectify in slip, and with too low force you can overpower the wheel trying to pull itself back etc.

1604604568300.png

1604604718292.png

Last edited:
Seriously!!!! I could poke holes all through your "argument", but why bother.;)
I know I know, if I'd had IQ of 70 I'd try to be mostly silent too

Maybe you have a deathwish, but I wouldn't drive even into work, using a gamepad. I wouldn't even park at the mall, with a gamepad. When you get into racing speeds territory, driving on the limit, where tyres actually may lock or slip and you don't constantly have full traction (as you would when driving to work) yet you get zero information if your tyres are slipping or not... good riddance

Of course you would feel G-forces, and that would help some, but in sims you don't feel even that. All you get is the FFB from the wheel. Some people are quick with keyboards and gamepads, because they memorized the lines, braking points etc. and drive 100% from visual memory. But what if something goes wrong, like entering aquaplaning, they will feel nothing through their buttons to warn them. Sounds super safe

And what kind of assists are helping them to achieve those laptimes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason cars in AMS (or hardcore sims in general) are controllable with gamepad or keyboard, is because there is fake assists that will be enabled, that are not there for a wheel. And would not be there in a real car. Not because it's "just as good" control method.

In ACC for example, the gamepad magic was super obvious in replays from what I recall. If gamepads were somehow "implemented" into IRL cars, you would have none of that

I don't know how the recent builds are, but this is from early 2020 where gamepads were used to set top times, because of the fake assists: https://felixdicit.com/gamepads-too-easy-in-acc/

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 71 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.4%
  • < 5 years