Automobilista 2 | New Hotfix 0.9.6.1 Adds Further AI And Physics Improvements

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have today deployed another new build of their Early Access Automobilista 2 title - bringing the simulation up to version 0.9.6.1 and adding a range of useful AI and physics improvements.

As Reiza Studios continue their strong push towards a full version 1 release of Automobilista 2, the Brazilian development team are continuing to adjust and improve a few of the finer details within the sim, following up on their latest major release of Saturday with a further hotfix update.

The theme from the latest build continues to be around tweaking and improving the behaviour of the computer controlled cars, an aspect of AMS 2 that has undergone much work in recent builds, as the studio ease ever closer towards moving out of Steam Early Access.

This latest build also adds a number of nice physics improvements for good measure, of which the details can be found below.

Build 09.6.1 Update Notes

UI & HUD

• Added "Speed Sensitivity" and "Minimum Shift Time" configurations to Controller options
  • Minor UI label fixes
PHYSICS
  • Revised yaw sensitivity for aero elements in all high downforce cars
  • Adjusted steel brake heating build-up
  • Revised slick & road tyres tread performances on wet track
  • Minor tyre tread adjustments for Super V8, F-V12 & F-Classic Gen3
  • Revised rear wing efficiency for F-Classics, F-V12, F-Reiza, F-Ultimate, F301 & F309
  • Various minor default setup adjustments
  • Slightly increased FFB tyre scrub effect for all cars (through FX slider)
  • Slightly Increased bump noise from curbs
  • Minor fine-tuning of car-specific FFB values
  • Fixed excessive front brake cooling in Caterhams
  • Revised engine output for F-Vintages (V8 & V12)
TRACKS
  • Minor revisions to various climate lighting & fog values values
AI
  • Increased the range of AI performance at both ends of the scale (slower @ 70%, faster @ 120% relative to v0.9.6.0)
  • Further revised AI throttle application gaps for GTs & formula cars
  • Increased AI side buffer distance (helps preventing AI cars merging back to the racing line too soon)
  • Increased Field speed perception, reduced length ahead factored (slightly less slowdowns in packs)
  • Reduced minimal lateral distance for defensive moves
  • Increased AI lateral rate of movement when calm
  • Further reduced AI brake power in GT / prototypes
  • Further increased AI care with human players
  • AUDIO
  • Fixing Super V8 AI Interior Engine sound position

VEHICLES
  • Fixed missing F-Reiza rain lights
  • Further adjusted brake glow ranges
A note from the developers

The Speed Sensitivity slider now added to the Control Configuration UI should be useful for gamepad & other digital controllers; it should otherwise be kept at 0% for those running with a steering wheel.

Original Source: Automobilista 2 Steam.

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

Last edited:
If you have problems to distinguische between AMS2 aand pCARS in view on the engine , better say Madness engine, then try it with an F1 example.
Mercedes F1 Team is number one since years, William F1 Team was last. Both have more or less the same powerunit/engine, same pirellis, and many other parts. How come? :sneaky:

Doesn't work for me expect for wheel paddles. I can map the Fanatec shifter sequential up and down gears but has no affect in-game. I'm limited to seq on wheel and H-pattern on shifter at the moment.

Do you have Fanatec wheel base? If you do, open the Fanatec settings and click the option to have wheel paddles and sequential shifter be the same buttons. That's how I got my sequential shifter to work without having to change the settings all the time.

One of the things I like and respect about Reiza is that, to me, their attitude is very balanced. If an issue is brought to their attention, it feels like they take note and try to look into it. I haven't yet seen them dismiss an issue out of hand.

Sure, some (hardcore) Reiza fans will defend their favourite studio no matter what. But that's not really unique to Reiza's fans as such. In any case, in my view, the reputation Reiza has earned is well deserved.

Which brings me to the following point: If you, dear reader (fan or not), are having an issue with AMS2 that you would like Reiza to take a good look at, *please* report it as clearly as you can (preferrably over at Reiza 51), with as much supporting evidence (video, repros, experiences etc.) as you can. This is hands down the best way to ensure that Reiza can look into reproducing it and it'll make AMS2 better for *everyone*.

While constructive criticism is obviously fine, if you could also avoid slagging off SMS at the same time, so much the better. Both SMS and Reiza have good people working for them who care *deeply* about their respective products.

Thank you for your consideration.

In order to be able brake on wet surfaces, I had to reduce the brake travel distance down to half in the game controller settings.
But still there is an absurd loss of grip going over water pudles at low/mid speeds, even with no gas applied!
I urge everybody to try race with the modern formulas on fully wet Azure Circuit without any driving assists and keep up with AI at default difficulty.

In order to be able brake on wet surfaces, I had to reduce the brake travel distance down to half in the game controller settings.
But still there is an absurd loss of grip going over water pudles at low/mid speeds, even with no gas applied!
I urge everybody to try race with the modern formulas on fully wet Azure Circuit without any driving assists and keep up with AI at default difficulty.
Your first bit - Could be brake bias too far forward? I don't drive modern formula cars but the game seems sensitive to front end lock ups (as in you get punished with understeer) but not so much with rear lock ups. Have you tried shifting the bias back 5/10/15 % in the wet?

Your second bit - Sounds like aquaplaning, I think you're basically in a rudderless boat at that point.

why should anybody switch off driving assists generally. If a car has IRL driving assists you should use it. If not , then switching off its ok.

I don't think AMS 2 driver aids are particularly realistic. Isn't it basically just 0-100% slip for both ABS and TC in all cars?

Last edited:
Anyone else having issues with the new speed sensitivity slider? It defaults to 50 so I am trying to set it to zero since I use a wheel but whatever I change it to is not retained when I click the "back" button and goes to 50 again. I am pretty new to AMS2, am I missing something obvious?

Anyone else having issues with the new speed sensitivity slider? It defaults to 50 so I am trying to set it to zero since I use a wheel but whatever I change it to is not retained when I click the "back" button and goes to 50 again. I am pretty new to AMS2, am I missing something obvious?
I believe it was mentioned that is for controllers not wheels?

I believe it was mentioned that is for controllers not wheels?

Yes, it is in the opening post -

"The Speed Sensitivity slider now added to the Control Configuration UI should be useful for gamepad & other digital controllers; it should otherwise be kept at 0% for those running with a steering wheel."

I try to set it to zero and it keeps changing back to 50. I now have to put in much more steering input and I can't make quick direction changes or corrections. I am 4 seconds slower on Oulton Park in the MCR2000 than I was before this update. :(

silly elitists behaviour.
In a stream somebody asked Nicky Thiem to switch off assists for a GT3 car and he asked "why?". GT3 Cars have assists and only be driven with that IRL. No intelligent driver would drive that cars w/o it.
If a car is correct simulated, nevertheless its in AMS2 or another simulator, the cars behaviour can only be right if you set it up like IRL.

Could be that you can only use a seq shifter if the car actually has one .
nope. Its a feature they did not change from original code of Project CARS.
Unfortunatelly all wheelbases have some hardcoded assignments. You can assign what you want , it does not work.
If you have Fanatec equipment you can do it like discribed above. Or you select custom wheel, or you use apps like joy2key to workarround.
I'm sure Reiza will fix this in the future. Maybe not on top of their list. Just fixing that quick and dirty would be the wrong effort, if they plan to implement multiple controller profiles.

I had to run AMS2 as Administrator to get it it to save controller settings.

There's still an issue some settings don't appear to save unless you change it with the arrows, not dragging the slider. Try that.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 149 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 409 39.9%