Automobilista 2 | New Build V0.8.3.1 Available Now - Includes New Car

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Another hotfix update for Automobilista 2 has arrived - and it comes with a new track layout and the Puma P052 GT5 car...

Yup, Reiza Studios have been good on their word to start ramping up the Early Access updates for Automobilista 2, with another fresh build having dropped for the simulation this evening - adding a nice range of fixes and improvements to the title.

Headline changes for this hotfix have to be the inclusion of the Puma P052 GT5 car and a new Jerez circuit layout, plus a range of changes and tweaks to the game force feedback - an area of AMS2 that continues to divide opinion within the sim racing community.

Automobilista 2 Update 0.8.3.1 Change log:

CONTENT

• Added Puma P052 to GT5 class
  • Added new Jerez layout (no Senna chicane)

UI & HUD
  • Added initial HUD Layout Editor (from OPTIONS -> EDIT HUD LAYOUT)
  • Added Initial telemetry HUD page
  • Fixed missing car class icons
  • Fixed class positions incorrectly displaying during single class/practice
  • Fixed Superkart/Stockv8 mini class icons
  • Blocked lap timer incorrectly displaying in HUD 'off' variant
  • Disabled currently unused containers/elements
  • Created separate leaderboard and lap/position info HUD elements
  • Disabled leaderboard by default on 'light' HUD variant
  • Adjusted trackmap zoom mechanics & tweaked graphical elements
  • Revised start light HUD element
  • Adjusted text colour and border of player in HUD leaderboard
  • Added missing vehicle stats for MIT Lancer R & RS
  • Updated trackmaps for VIR (all configs), Snetterton (all configs), Velocitta (all configs), Jerez 2019; Added Missing track logo for Snetterton
  • Increased vehicle preview resolution

PHYSICS, FFB & AI
  • Reduced wheel contact factor in all open wheelers (reducing chances of cars launching into the air with relatively minor contact) corrected mass of several independent detatchable parts
  • F-Classic G3M1: Fixed default gear ratio for 7-speed gearbox
  • F-Ultimate: Adjusted torque curve & throttle map for smoother power delivery
  • Minor tyre tread adjustments to F-Classic (all gens), Ultima GT, MCR 2000, MRX P4, F-3, MIT Lancer R & RS
  • Added TC / ABS to MIT Lancer R & RS when running Authentic driving aids
  • F-Classic (all gens): adjusted default front wing setting for better aero balance
  • Adjusted AI prudence when challenging human opponent
  • AI behavior tweaks: smoother lateral reactions & brake application; less performance variation depending on AI skill when on throttle / brakes; less performance loss as AI driver loses stamina
  • AI performance callibration passes for all cars

TRACKS
  • Added alpha to coverage to all foliage shaders - improves quality, only works with MSAA
  • Jerez: Reworked wet track material and puddle mapping; fine tuned road blend textures and vertex alpha blending to improve some blending abnormalities
  • Oulton Park: Fixed pitwall collision bug
  • Night lighting updates for Cascavel, Velopark, Kansai, Goiania, Jerez, Imola, Imola 2001, Imola 1988

VEHICLES
  • Copa Uno: Updated liveries (partial); Adjusted collision mesh
  • Super V8: Adjusted collision mesh; Updated Vertex AO; Added detachable parts from Damage;
  • Gol Copa Classic: Added LODs & updated materials for both models
  • F-Ultimate: Updated liveries with logos

Original Source: Reiza Studios

Automobilista 2 is available on Steam Early Access now.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 Update Note 2.jpg

Thanks for your translation, very helpful for those that aren't smart enough to figure out there are online translators out there. Much better than the unnecessary "Use English." from your grumpy old men dreaming of Victorian England.

Gosh how annoying do you have to be? It's not rocket science to be open minded. Yes, it's not in English but it brings in an excellent point of view. Indeed, where are the Marcas? I must say I have a sweet spot for those cars. Hopefully we get them as well as the new 2020 BR Stock Car models by V.1.
Disrespecting every forum rule there exists isn't a good way to interact, i know the rules so i don't try talking portuguese here.
Reiza has a portuguese forum if you feel you can express yourself better this way.

Also the guy managed to flood the entire first page with photos very annoying.

The AI seems less erratic driving down the straights and approaching bends, but they have this inherent issue with anything coming anywhere near them. Try over taking them on the inside of a corner... they panic instantly and take an immediate left turn (in a right hand bend) and quite often end up off the track despite there being plenty of room.

There needs to be some serious tuning of the distance between AI and other objects (cars, barriers) before they take "evasive" action. Its quite bad and very obvious. I'd rather slight contact than what they currently do. (that's if the contact does not result in the old sticky collisions that used to happen in PC2)

I tested at Oulton Park with Caterham 620R

I hear what you are saying about the AI, they do need to improve further, but they have improved a lot in a very short space of time. If you can only run 15 AI in VR on your system then yes it is more of a problem. I also like starting from the back and working my way through and you're right it is still too easy to make up many places in the first couple of corners. However once I'm running with cars around my speed I find it is now a good experience, I've included a full 10 lap Lancers at Brands Hatch race with the AI at 100 ability and 80 aggression with a few of the key things I noticed during the race - internal and external chase cam view included. From what I saw the contact between the Lancers seems to work ok, both with the player car and AI to AI but that may be car-dependent, I haven't tried the 620R in the latest builds.

0-0:33 - For 100% ability Ai they are too slow off the line and still too easy to overtake too many of the car in the first and second corner. However, they do at least now make it round the first corner without the chaos that was all too often the case in the Beta.

*1:21 - Minor contact with the AI as I make the overtake in Westfield, both cars relatively unaffected and able to carry on, seemed reasonable enough to me. A similar incident at 13:13

2:10-2:27 - side by side with the AI that left reasonable racing room.

3:50-4:40 - a realistic overtake into Druids and then a section showing the AI are pinned at full throttle so there is no advantage in speed for the player car by this point in the AI pack. Now it's a case of looking for where they are slow in a corner or leave space to attack. For me it's quite Touring Car in nature from this point forward and only AC with cars like the Audi TT cup cars with push to pass have provided similar close racing action.

5:37 - an even closer overtake up the inside at Druids but no contact, similar overtakes at 8:57, 10:42

6:15-6:25 - The AI is slow into Hawthorn so I'm able to go round the outside - this would require some serious balls of steel for real!

*8.02-8:12 - same overtake as at 1:21 at Westfield but this time no contact from AI

8:10-8:26 - AI in front having their own door to door battle

11:40-11:42 - I make a small mistake and lose momentum, the AI is through the gap at the next corner.

14:50-15:01 - some great door to door racing again through Westfield which the now faster AI wins!

I enjoyed this race and at the same time, I fully agree with you that the AI needs to continue to improve but Reiza say that is the case and tuning for individual cars, tracks and conditions will follow. Oh, and it's a silky smooth experience in Oculus VR which is superb at this EA stage.

I'm optimistic about what will be achieved because we are a long way forward from this type of AI chaos and slow corner queuing just a month ago:

And it's a lot better now than this too! ;)

Thanks for your translation, very helpful for those that aren't smart enough to figure out there are online translators out there. Much better than the unnecessary "Use English." from your grumpy old men dreaming of Victorian England.

Gosh how annoying do you have to be? It's not rocket science to be open minded. Yes, it's not in English but it brings in an excellent point of view. Indeed, where are the Marcas? I must say I have a sweet spot for those cars. Hopefully we get them as well as the new 2020 BR Stock Car models by V.1.
God save the Queen

Really wish we could get "ready only" access to the Beta forum. Now the title is released into EA, I can't imagine what the negative ramifications for that would now be.

Anyone know what "Added Initial telemetry HUD page" constitutes? I can't find this but maybe that's because I am not sure what I am looking for or recognising it when I see it? I have played with the HUD editor btw.
I suspect the guys in the beta probably get the updates before us normal folk, if people read that there's a newer version already out there Reiza would be flooded with "when we get the updates?" questions.
I suspect that's why they'll keep it restricted.

I suspect the guys in the beta probably get the updates before us normal folk, if people read that there's a newer version already out there Reiza would be flooded with "when we get the updates?" questions.
I suspect that's why they'll keep it restricted.

They already said there will be weekly updates so why would there be a flood of questions. I also would have thought it was inherantly obvious that they get a new Beta release before the EA release. That's not an excuse at all really. Instead we have people wondering if they noticed a problem because quite frankly there is ZERO feedback on the normal forum and we constantly have to be informed from people who have access to the Beta forum instead.

Last edited:
AI is important to me and its frustrating that in this AI centric day and age it is still so bad in racing games/sims.

Actually this is a general malaise in all games IMO, with the popularity of multiplayer, Ai development has generally been a side show for dev teams. Just look at FPS games where the enemy just runs at you with no sense of self preservation at all (I'm looking at you Star Wars Battlefront 1+2).

I hear what you are saying about the AI, they do need to improve further, but they have improved a lot in a very short space of time. If you can only run 15 AI in VR on your system then yes it is more of a problem. I also like starting from the back and working my way through and you're right it is still too easy to make up many places in the first couple of corners. However once I'm running with cars around my speed I find it is now a good experience, I've included a full 10 lap Lancers at Brands Hatch race with the AI at 100 ability and 80 aggression with a few of the key things I noticed during the race - internal and external chase cam view included. From what I saw the contact between the Lancers seems to work ok, both with the player car and AI to AI but that may be car-dependent, I haven't tried the 620R in the latest builds.

0-0:33 - For 100% ability Ai they are too slow off the line and still too easy to overtake too many of the car in the first and second corner. However, they do at least now make it round the first corner without the chaos that was all too often the case in the Beta.

*1:21 - Minor contact with the AI as I make the overtake in Westfield, both cars relatively unaffected and able to carry on, seemed reasonable enough to me. A similar incident at 13:13

2:10-2:27 - side by side with the AI that left reasonable racing room.

3:50-4:40 - a realistic overtake into Druids and then a section showing the AI are pinned at full throttle so there is no advantage in speed for the player car by this point in the AI pack. Now it's a case of looking for where they are slow in a corner or leave space to attack. For me it's quite Touring Car in nature from this point forward and only AC with cars like the Audi TT cup cars with push to pass have provided similar close racing action.

5:37 - an even closer overtake up the inside at Druids but no contact, similar overtakes at 8:57, 10:42

6:15-6:25 - The AI is slow into Hawthorn so I'm able to go round the outside - this would require some serious balls of steel for real!

*8.02-8:12 - same overtake as at 1:21 at Westfield but this time no contact from AI

8:10-8:26 - AI in front having their own door to door battle

11:40-11:42 - I make a small mistake and lose momentum, the AI is through the gap at the next corner.

14:50-15:01 - some great door to door racing again through Westfield which the now faster AI wins!

I enjoyed this race and at the same time, I fully agree with you that the AI needs to continue to improve but Reiza say that is the case and tuning for individual cars, tracks and conditions will follow. Oh, and it's a silky smooth experience in Oculus VR which is superb at this EA stage.

I'm optimistic about what will be achieved because we are a long way forward from this type of AI chaos and slow corner queuing just a month ago:

And it's a lot better now than this too! ;)

What are you using to record Mate?

You inspired me to try 27 AI @ Brands and it runs perfectly smoothly (in clear weather). I raced 27 AI SprintCars. I did enjoy the race and perhaps caterhams are the worst at panicking when you are overtaking them on the inside as I didn't notice this as much in the sprint cars (or other tin tops). However, about 10 of the field ended up in the kitty litter at some point - not due to me :) I just came around the corner and saw cars mixing it with the distant barrier at the edge of the kitty litter quite a few laps in a row.

Agreed. Interesting you've turned gain up and I've turned it down :roflmao:. Who would be a dev :laugh:
I've also turned gain up, it was feeling super light in 0.83.
In terms of FFB not make or break update at all imo, just needed to turn it up to get more or less the same feel.

Not a fan of what they did to the Formula Ultimate, previously i could get out of hairpins in 3rd quite well, now the engine feels dead in 3rd and i have to reach for 2nd, and i'm getting out worst anyhow... it just got in the way of my flow.
If i was arguing with the engineers i would say bring back my torque.

Anyone tried the Sprint Car? Does it seem less "responsive" in terms of acceleration. It feels really tame and I don't remember it being like that previously.
Can`t says i noticed it being less "responsive" took it for a race around Imola with the A.I if anything the rear seemed to be stepping out more, but it could be the change in the FFB?. While were on the Sprint cars why is its top speed 216 kph at every track no matter if you adjust the downfore levels ? plus you get zero slipstream from the A.I............

Last edited:
Has anyone encountered any bugs in the timing and scoring? I ran into this last night in a Formula Classic G2 race with the AI. Below is a screenshot of the race finish. I’m in second place in the blue & red car in the foreground. The final standings showed me winning by 0.012 seconds. I was never even in front of the AI car at any point during the final lap. Not only is it the wrong order, but the gap is obviously wrong.

For reference, this was the 0.8.3.1 build, the race was at Kyalami, I was in an F-Classic G2M3 car with the race opponents set to ‘same class.’

AMS2_0831_Issue-1.jpg
AMS2_0831_Issue-2.jpg

Every time someone posts in their native language, I have a very strong urge to reply to him in mine (and doubly so if he continues to do so in multiple posts in a row even after he has been asked not to). What a great forum would that be - everyone always forced to use translators on every post and deal with the often quite incoherent or even downright wrong/nonsensical texts they produce.

Yes, only grumpy old men dreaming of Victorian England use the only truly international language our planet has.

"Aew firulaum, joga ça kaceta num pai-dos-burrão y se ligae çéçapoha funfa, seu mobral!"

Good look with your online translator:thumbsup:

Spoiler: That is why we do English here.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%