Automobilista 2 | New Build Time - Version 0.9.5.1 Is Now Live

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed their brand new build of Automobilista 2 into the public domain - welcome to the world V0.9.5.1.

Another Friday, another new build as Reiza Studios continue their relentless development ahead of deploying the V1 build of Automobilista 2. Plenty of changes, plenty of improvements, and you can read all about them below...

From the update notes:

Another week of intense housekeeping as we approach v1.0 release - once again a lot of the focus has been on physics / FFB, with a lot of fine-tuning resulting in another good step forward all around, as the handling for most cars now become pretty representative of our v1.0 target. From now on most of the physics work will concentrate on reviewing fuel consumption, tyre & engine wear, temps & reliability properties.

On the AI side we haven´t yet concluded implementing the new AI Strength logic, so for those struggling with AI speed in lower settings we ask for a little more patience until we finalize this development tol provide more consistent performance accross the AI Strength range. In the meantime setting around 90-110% AI Strength and 50% Aggression have been quite thoroughly callibrated and should provide the best racing.

3D Animations for wipers, suspension, drivers & other moveable car parts are finally beginning to come in, although only one minor item added in this update (animated suspension arms for F-Trainer from external view) - all the remaining exports should flow very quickly from here.

Last but not least, the Dedi tool is now available from the Tools Library on Steam - please check further information about the tool, how set it up and run it as well as post feedback / reports about it here.

For those wondering about upcoming content, please hold for more information in our May Development update coming up tomorrow.

AMS 2 1.jpg

V0.9.5.1 CHANGELOG:

UI

• Fixed spectator leaderboard position text always being forced to wrong colour.
  • Applied HUD style leaderboard to Replay/Monitor Screens
  • Fixed disabled 'View Replay' button displaying instead of 'Save Replay' button in MP session results screen
  • Fixed Time Trial Pause Menu leaderboard not displaying correctly
  • Added identification for dedicated servers in browser list
  • Multiplayer sessions now default to cockpit view in race session countdown (to avoid bug leading to players beign stuck in TV cam)
  • Fixed Monitor camera switcher not working after changing cars
FORCE FEEDBACK
  • Steering rack damping no longer passes through Low Force Boost setting (more consistent damping)
  • Fixed error in parking force script
  • Adjusted locktstop strength
  • Fixed issue with recently added FFB filter occasionally behaving unpredictably
  • Fine-tuned all car-specific max force & smoothing levels to suit latest FFB system revisions, bug fixes as well as latest tyre physics developments
PHYSICS
  • Revised tyre tread physics for Opalas, F-Vee, F-V12, F-V10, Caterhams, ARC Camaro, Super V8
  • Slight adjustments to all wet tyre compounds
  • Increased carcass load stiffness for incremental tyre pressure adjustments in F-Classic (all gens), F-V12, Caterhams, ARC Camaro, Super V8
  • Fixed bug causing downshift protection system not to work properly
  • Adjusted shift tolerances for semiauto boxes (to avoid neutral - 1st gear not engaging in high revs)
  • Enabled antistall for cars with modern semi-automatic boxes & karts with torque converters / centrifugal clutches
  • Revised engine inertia for V8, V6 engines
  • Reduced default steering lock for light formula cars, prototypes & Super V8
  • AJR: Revised rear wing aero efficiency
  • MCR 2000: Revised rear wing aero efficiency
  • F-Ultimate: revised front suspension damper rates, diffuser yaw sensitivity
  • Stiffer default front ARB for P1 prototypes, F-Vee, F-Reiza
  • F-Vee: fixed front left rebound damper range
  • Hotcars: Increased engine output slightly; Adjusted track width, height offset, default roll bar setting
  • F-Reiza: Adjusted diffuser center of pressure, default caster setting
  • F-Classic Gen1&2: revised aero balance
  • Superkart: Adjusted default tyre pressure & ride height
  • Ultima GTR Road: Adjusted default differential settings, front ARB, CoG height & tyre load stiffness
  • Fixed bug causing downshift protection system to not work properly in sequential cars that should feature it
  • Adjusted Ultima GTR Street default differential, front ARB, CoG height & tyre load stiffness
  • Adjusted MIT Lancer roll bar stiffness
AI
  • Further callibration of AI performance & rolling resistance for all cars
  • Improved AI pitlane manoeuvrability
  • Reduced Aggression scalar & brake performance for classic cars, club cars, GT & prototypes
  • Fixed AI tendency to oscillate steering erratically running down longer straights
  • Fixed Roco P3 excessive AI straight speed
  • Reduced thresholds for AI to attempt overtaking in improbable circunstances
  • Further reduced AI aggression scalars & brake power
  • Further reduced AI overtaking boost under braking
AUDIO
  • F-V10: Adjusted Traction Control sounds
  • Sigma P1: revised engine sounds, engine / turbo / blowoff volume balanced
TRACKS
  • Updated Livetrack racing groove shader to become more visible as track rubbers up
VEHICLES
  • Further revisions to visual brake glow ranges
  • F-Reiza: Revised liveries & added different carbon materials, stickers and logos, t-cam colour, spec map for all cars
  • F-Trainer: Added suspension animation (external)
  • F-Trainer: New liveries/updates/redesign 01# #02 #03 #04 #05 #06 #07 #08 #09 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #25 #26 #33

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 2.jpg

Last edited:
this also went from 0,93 to 0,95 in a week, so by end oj June this should be leaving early access
The number used to name a build version is no indication of time remaining in development. It's increased by varying amounts so far and could do so again. There's nothing to stop them releasing 0.9.9.1, 0.9.9.2, 0.9.9.3 so it could be next week, the end of june, or sometime in July. Besides, if the game is already available to play then what difference does a number printed in the main menu actually make? They've already said AMS 2 is a long-term project and that v1.0 will not be the definitive version.

Anyway, finally awake and eager to drive. Time to go play... :cool:

I like and appreciate the job reiza is doing. However got bored by this weekly updates some time ago and stopped further testing.
The variety of tweaks looks like there are still tons of work to do.

One on hand people lament S397 for "glacial" updates, here we have people bored of Weekly Updates :D

Seriously yes that is what an EA is and at least Reiza are releasing consistent updates, I've seen other games in EA for years and barely get 2 or 3 updates in a single year! Anyway yeah lots of work to be done, but like other Sims it won't stop at 1.0 but updates should ease off thereafter...I hope!

The number used to name a build version is no indication of time remaining in development. It's increased by varying amounts so far and could do so again. There's nothing to stop them releasing 0.9.9.1, 0.9.9.2, 0.9.9.3 so it could be next week, the end of june, or sometime in July. Besides, if the game is already available to play then what difference does a number printed in the main menu actually make? They've already said AMS 2 is a long-term project and that v1.0 will not be the definitive version.

Anyway, finally awake and eager to drive. Time to go play... :cool:
its more about having all the features at your disposal that are supposed to be in the game, like Championships.
Early Access was halfway through with Kyalami as well, so the numbers are probably more accurate with the status of the game.
the game is a ton of fun, especially with the slower cars.
anyway, we will be smarter tonight.

@Goffik Purely out of curiosity, does something like this "Steering rack damping no longer passes through Low Force Boost setting (more consistent damping)" mean a back to square one for your custom ffb files?

As I say, purely curious as to how you back engineer it, not a dig at anything or anyone.

@Goffik Purely out of curiosity, does something like this "Steering rack damping no longer passes through Low Force Boost setting (more consistent damping)" mean a back to square one for your custom ffb files?
Not quite. The custom files just need to be tweaked to incorporate the new changes, and tested to make sure the "behind the scenes" tweaks don't adversely affect any of the custom code. For example, some of the tweaks in my own current custom profile are specifically to adjust the "looseness" around the centre on my wheel, but having just tried the new default, that problem seems to have been entirely fixed by Reiza. So that custom fix can be removed entirely. :thumbsup:

Right, so there's a big disconnect between the graphics and physics like Project Cars and previous iterations of ISI / Madness engined games.
Not really, no. All the physics around the suspension and car movement are there. The only thing that isn't is the actual animation of the suspension arms moving with the wheels. So if you're in a tin-top you won't even know these animations are missing. It's only noticeable in the open-wheelers, and only if you look closely. It's also something which is coming so isn't an issue anyway. :)

Yeah its so terrible that you cant instantly see EVERYTHING from the physics engine mirrored in the graphics engine.
So terrible:rolleyes:
So very very terrible. I'm ALWAYS looking at the suspension arms to check they are moving. Looking ahead at the road is for suckers and thumb-on-the-scales merchants. I mean , I'm always crashing because when the arms don't visibly load and unload, I don't know if the camber and road path is changing or not. And there is no other way in the game of telling that. Come on Reiza, sort this out.*

*may not be entirely serious.

I was talking about watching replays, not during live play, geesh, the amount of hostility...

Maybe some of you guys don't enjoy watching replays or don't notice things like that but anyone should easily be able to see that the way the suspension, chassis, body, etc. of vehicles move still looks kind of gamey and simplified. Watch the body, suspension, chassis movements & forces in iRacing, or even old games like Live for Speed and Netkar Pro; they're much more natural & convincing looking due to looking more intrinsic & complex and therefore realistic which makes watching replays more satisfying and beautiful.

I was just hoping progress was made in this area compared to the RF/AMS1 engine and the PCars engine.

Last edited:
3D Animations for wipers, suspension, drivers & other moveable car parts are finally beginning to come in, although only one minor item added in this update (animated suspension arms for F-Trainer from external view) - all the remaining exports should flow very quickly from here.

R.Simioni:

It is all in the realese notes!

It is all in the realese notes!
No it's not. Geez. I read there's animations coming through, I get that. I'm asking a much more complex and detailed question regarding the physics-to-graphics engine connection. For example, if the physics engine was totally "connected" to the graphics engine then there wouldn't be a need for "animations" for car body/suspension/chassis, etc. movements because the suspension pieces would move 100% dictated by the physics engine which means you don't need to create animations. Think of real-time shadows as an example. You don't have to program to have a shadow somewhere or draw a fake shadow because it all happens dynamically in real-time, there's no animation or drawing required.

Don't try to make me sound like I'm dumb or can't read the release notes by telling me it's all in the release notes. The release notes don't delve into any of these sort of technicalities I'm talking about. Did you even read them?

AI
  • Further callibration of AI performance & rolling resistance for all cars
  • I noticed in rFactor 1 and AMS that sometimes the A.I. accelerates faster than the player but only in certain situations like:
2 examples I recently noticed:

AMS1:
The player's Formula Dirt accelerate way slower than the A. at Ascurra. I'm not sure about other tracks but there's a huge difference at Ascurra even in straight line acceleration. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the track's surface characteristics and how that affects the player's car differently than the AIs'.

RF1:
The player's 2005 Rhez has similar (close enough) acceleration to the AI in a straight line but when accelerating flat-out while still in the middle of a corner (eg. @ Essington, the long right-hander at the top of the hill), the AI will accelerate much faster even though both the player & AI are flat-out. Once the turn is over and the car is travelling straight, the acceleration between the two is similar again but while turning there's a big advantage for the AI.

Would both these issues be examples of having incorrect rolling resistance for the AI? Or is it simply the AI has too much grip (longitudinal for the Formula Dirt and lateral for the 2005 Rhez)?

Are those examples of what fixing the AI's rolling resistance in AMS2 could be addressing or would incorrect AI rolling resistance #s result in different un-wanted AI results?

Last edited:
This is a track limits violation now at Curitaba T1. Sigh….
View attachment 377585
Maybe I was just attacking the curb more than I have but I’m pretty sure that in prior releases you could have rolled the curb like that without getting dinged. If I’m correct, that would make two releases in a row where they’ve done track limits tweaking and have not mentioned it in the release notes. I don't particularly care for that.

Track limits in that corner were the same last week I do not think there were any new changes in that corner.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%