• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

Automobilista 2 | New Build Time - Version 0.9.5.1 Is Now Live

BillGuy

100RPM
Jun 1, 2017
White lines define the track limits. It's a fact, not an assumption.
It's a not a fact. It's an decision made by the sanctioning bodies of each race series that runs at a given track. F1 even allowed exceeding the white line and used the curbing as track limits for the exit of the infamous turn 19 at COTA.

"If a driver crosses the kerb on the exit of Turn 19 during qualifying and, as a result, no part of the car remains in contact with the red and white section of the kerb, the lap time of the driver concerned will be deleted by the stewards," wrote Whiting.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139521/f1-drivers-warned-over-track-limits-abuse-at-austin

Goffik

10000RPM
Staff member
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
The simplest definition of track limits the line which runs along the edges of most of them. That tends to be the line sims use, if they're not attempting some "clever" system which estimates time gained/lost like R3E does. Personally, I have no issue with those lines being the limit. It's fair, easy to understand, and prevents exactly this kind of debate. Hence why RD uses it in our club racing rules.

Reactions: GriffinJ

manc0ntr0

250RPM
Jul 23, 2009

Emery

2000RPM
Jun 6, 2009
Finally got around to trying Friday's update with the MCR2000 against the AI at Guapore. AI skill at 100 and the aggression at 50, it was all too easy to feel like a hero. Increasing aggression to 60 was better, except the first lap, where the increased aggression caused the AI pack to slow down a touch more as they try avoiding each other. In both cases, it was pretty easy to drive up to 7th place from 15th on a standing start. Moving forward from there after the first lap was nicely tough at 60 aggression.

The AI talent pool has a nice mix of speeds at 100 skill. There's excitement with an occasional AI mistake during a pass where one ends up going through braking markers, seems like 1 or 2 per 45 minute race. My preference for mistakes would be about half as often, but, still, this is not so often to be arcade.

Need to do a mixed class test with this latest version, but, man, if Reiza make first laps not quite so easy and add blocking moves, the AI will be top notch!

BazzaLB

100RPM
Jun 25, 2009
I seriously do not believe the mistakes are "intended" logic. I believe they are just the result of AI still not being particularly aware of its surroundings sometimes.

Reactions: Emery and BrunoB

BillGuy

100RPM
Jun 1, 2017
Yes, that's a fact. And the quote you paste confirm it, as it's the exception.
It’s interesting that your “fact” doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations. I downloaded the 07.04.2020 version from the link below and searched it for the list of terms stated after the link. Zero results having to do with track limits regulations. If track limits being defined by the white lines are in there and I missed it, by all means let me know.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110
track limits
track limit
limit
boundary
bounds

John-Eric Saxén

1000RPM
Premium
Jan 31, 2010
Yes, that's a fact. And the quote you paste confirm it, as it's the exception.
It isn't the exception, it's by all practical purposes the rule now to allow crossing of white lines in F1. The rare occasion they even bother to police a corner, they make the curb the limit, the white line is never the limit. In some version of F1 rules it used to say that white lines are the limit, but maybe they took it away. Even if they didn't, it would be a bit like having a law of not stealing, but police won't fine you if you do, what kind of law is that then?

They should have made curbs the limit from the beginning since the whole white line rule never worked well, it's equally a pain to watch Codemasters esports races where drivers get constant cut penalties, would easily have been solved by proper sized curbs and making the curbs the limit.

manc0ntr0

250RPM
Jul 23, 2009
It’s interesting that your “fact” doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations. I downloaded the 07.04.2020 version from the link below and searched it for the list of terms stated after the link. Zero results having to do with track limits regulations. If track limits being defined by the white lines are in there and I missed it, by all means let me know.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110
track limits
track limit
limit
boundary
bounds
It isn't the exception, it's by all practical purposes the rule now to allow crossing of white lines in F1. The rare occasion they even bother to police a corner, they make the curb the limit, the white line is never the limit. In some version of F1 rules it used to say that white lines are the limit, but maybe they took it away. Even if they didn't, it would be a bit like having a law of not stealing, but police won't fine you if you do, what kind of law is that then?

They should have made curbs the limit from the beginning since the whole white line rule never worked well, it's equally a pain to watch Codemasters esports races where drivers get constant cut penalties, would easily have been solved by proper sized curbs and making the curbs the limit.
Section 27.3:

Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason. Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
I saw the specific rule about the track limits some time ago, but I don't remember right now where it is.

Goffik

10000RPM
Staff member
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Enough guys. If you want a debate about F1 track limits, go do it in the F1 forum. This thread is for AMS 2 which has nothing to do with F1 or it's rules. Stay on topic or I'll have to start removing posts.

Ryan Robbins

100RPM
Mar 8, 2011
I purchased this game and tried it out briefly. I lost interest pretty quickly, but I will continue to give it a try as updates come out,and I will also try more cars. I just don't get much sense of immersion due to the mediocre FF and graphics (IMHO). I don't have tons of time to race, but I try to support any sim released.

Follow RaceDepartment