Automobilista 2: More News Dropping Tomorrow...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS 2 News Tomorrow.. .jpg

Reiza Studios have teased some more news is heading our way about the upcoming Automobilista 2 racing simulation...

I suspect it is pretty fair to say that the announcement of AMS 2 and change of engine to MADNESS has stirred up the community somewhat, dividing opinion and causing various levels of excitement within pretty much everyone with even a passing interest in the world of virtual motorsport.

With something of an impressive track record in our little niche hobby, I'm sure I'm speaking for the majority here when I say how hungry we are for new news on the title.. and that hunger looks set to be fed tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Automobilista 2 will release for PC December 2019.

For the latest Automobilista 2 news and discussions, head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Wait Wait wait, Automobilista 2 is the next update of ACC with animations in pit stop ?

Day One ! ;) less communication better the game. Less licence, maybe more creative content ? :)

Sounds are good and seem to be on par with AMS1, although i'm guessing they'll add in some drivetrain sounds later.

Graphics are interesting. I actually think the AMS1 graphics are sharper and have less aliasing, but it's still early days so not sure if this will improve.

Hmmmm I actually want a completely new game not stuff that was done already in AMS1 and re-done for 2. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and yeah the new sounds and graphics are nice but we already paid for that content in 1. Anyway looking and listening with pleasure:)

• Deleted member 955978

Well hopefully Reiza works on the sound, for now AMS1 sounds superior too me.
And even the graphics are nicer...:confused:

Well it’s WIP, after all.

Hmmmm I actually want a completely new game not stuff that was done already in AMS1 and re-done for 2
Yes, I too think Reiza should build brand new racing circuits all around the world and design brand new cars and then put those in their game, rather than make the same content we already paid for in the previous game and in many other games as well.

As a 3D artist, I'm not sure anything has caused more self-reflection for me than seeing sim racers react to new graphics engines, because I don't know that I've seen a more clear example of how widely varied are the priorities of people when it comes to graphics. To be clear, I'm not making any judgements on those opinions, I'm just trying to understand them all to hopefully make me a better artist.

When ACC launched I was really surprised at the reactions to what was, to me, a clearly technically superior graphics engine to AC even with Sol/Shader Pack. I spent a lot of time reading posts, examining screenshots and video, and playing the games myself, and all I determined is that different people have very visceral reactions to AA type/quality, color saturation, and lighting consistency.

That last one is the most interesting to me because I have come to believe that oftentimes sim racers seem to value image clarity above everything else. The problem with that is that switching to a more realistic lighting model will create way more variance in lighting and shading as you move around the track (due to more objects casting dynamic shadows and having more realistic specularity), so the goal of more realism comes into direct conflict with the desires of at least a portion of the community. It is not an easy problem for the game developers and I don't envy them the task :D

All that philosophical rambling aside, the things I immediately notice in AMS2 is the much more realistic interaction of the light and the track surface when the light is at a low angle, the real-time shadows of many components (watch the shadows from the cockpit itself, the rear camera monitor, and the side mirror from the interior view, and the rear wing in the exterior view compared to the same in the AMS1 portion of the video), and the more realistic shaders (brake lights are probably most noticeable). Again, you don't have to be mad at me if you don't like those things, your opinion is valid, those are just technical advances I noticed immediately :) I'm excited by how this is looking so far, but I sure hope they keep the Mini Challenge car!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back