Automobilista 2 is getting better and better.

Hi !

I have been a AMS2 user from the early beginning and it is really stunning to see
the sim developing to one of the most impressive sim's ever.

Graphics and gameplay have massively improved since the last updates.

The "live weather" and "historic weather" is really unique and awesome !

like to see some new impressions ?
Have a look at my channel for some quick racing action in AMS2 newest version in
4K with maximum details and 60fps (video language in german)

I am very interested for your opinion on the "new" AMS2

Cheers and have a nice day !

Just2Laps

The steam numbers are the latest cudgel of the day parroted ad nauseam.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m not trying to use the stats as a cudgel. I’m just pointing out the reality of the situation. The fact remains that numbers are low, relatively speaking.

Something good is happening behind these numbers. There’s enthusiasm with AMS2 and its growing. Perhaps slowly. But is growing

Unless you have access to some hidden data unavailable to the rest of us, that just doesn’t seem to be the case. Take a look at the stats since the release of the game (https://steamcharts.com/app/1066890 - the “All” option above the chart). Apart from the odd post-update peak, the average numbers appear to be gradually trailing off rather than growing. Correct me if I’m wrong, but since AMS2 is exclusively a Steam game, any time someone runs a game (other than specifically in off-line mode) they’re seen by Steam as an active player. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a single player or in a league, you’re still an active player and the stats reflect this. There appears to be a small, dedicated group of loyal followers who regularly play the title but that group doesn’t look to be growing.

It may be just a perception issue, but early in the development of AMS2 the devs seemed keen to release DLC whilst there were still many problems with the base game being reported in the official forum. I understand the need to increase revenue but can’t help thinking that this policy is possibly why greater numbers are not currently playing the game.

As far as censorship is concerned, yes. But im not advocating for viewpoint censorship which is what you are describing. Im talking about censoring griefers and trolls. Those that aren’t interested in playing, seeing it improve or know enough about the sim who are simply here to harass those that do for their own messed up self esteem. This type of behavior is not exactly righteous free speach.
Could it be they are just trolls wanting to provoke a response? If so, good, get rid of them, censorship be damned.

But how do you decide who is a troll and who is an informed critic making what they feel are valid points. If you silence everyone who is critical of the game, there’s less incentive for the devs to fix or improve it. Just because someone is aggressive and/or repetitive (and I’m not pointing any fingers here), that doesn’t necessarily make what they’re saying wrong. Apart from things like official stats or press releases, opinion makes up the content of most of the threads on this site. Being annoying doesn’t make a person‘s opinion any less valid. As I said in an earlier post, if you ban someone who hasn’t actually broken the forum rules your’e setting a very dangerous precedent. People will be afraid of voicing their opinion.

Last edited:
Being annoying doesn’t make a person‘s opinion any less valid. As I said in an earlier post, if you ban someone who hasn’t actually broken the forum rules your’e setting a very dangerous precedent. People will be afraid of voicing their opinion.
Since I'm the one who instigated the ban, I feel I'd like to answer that point.
The biggest moan I get from members is threads being derailed by people repeating the same things over in various posts relating to a particular game.
When someone enters threads and posts walls of text time after time and continues to do so after being asked several times to stop it, then giving some some time away probably benefits everyone.
Members have ample time to voice their opinions, a quick glance over the forums shows that. Personally and in my own defence I never take banning lightly and also never do it anonymously or without warning.
Finally he's only temporarily banned from replying here he still has full access to the site.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m not trying to use the stats as a cudgel. I’m just pointing out the reality of the situation. The fact remains that numbers are low, relatively speaking.

Unless you have access to some hidden data unavailable to the rest of us, that just doesn’t seem to be the case. Take a look at the stats since the release of the game (https://steamcharts.com/app/1066890 - the “All” option above the chart). Apart from the odd post-update peak, the average numbers appear to be gradually trailing off rather than growing. Correct me if I’m wrong, but since AMS2 is exclusively a Steam game, any time someone runs a game (other than specifically in off-line mode) they’re seen by Steam as an active player. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a single player or in a league, you’re still an active player and the stats reflect this. There appears to be a small, dedicated group of loyal followers who regularly play the title but that group doesn’t look to be growing.

The steam numbers are low, that's a fact, but its never had good steam numbers, so the info is not new. There's no MPRS and no single player content beside TT mode. Its a sim people log on, do an AI race, maybe do some hot lapping and log out. Several leagues I know, however, have doubled in size of the past few months, drawing more interest from players from other sims. In my own community, there are dozens of people that reaaally know what they are talking about from RL car physics, to game development, to FFB, you name it. Much smarter than me in fact.

We actually just help a guy who couldn't figure out a deadzone issue and was on the verge of uninstalling, and resolved his issue. And yeah, most days we don't know why the game hasn't increased in popularity. There's a reluctance to spend time in it from the sim community at large and we suspect that most of it is because there is a LOT of negative noise. Its tough to draw people who are interested in MP away from ACC, iracing. Its tough to draw others from RF2, RRE and AC. AMS2 has to carve a place for itself in the midst of this. But it doesn't mean its any less spectacular in a lot of ways. If you come into not immediately judging it based on another sim you are familiar with and like, and refuse to give it credit for things that it has that are or may better in the future, you just have to wait. Tons of people are already waiting. AMS2 is not even close to being done and it already capturing players, one by one, despite its flaws.

You can't force people to like it though, and that's the case for a lot of people. But I know that there are also a lot of people out there that may actually really like it, but are reluctant to put time in it. We'll just have to wait.

It may be just a perception issue, but early in the development of AMS2 the devs seemed keen to release DLC whilst there were still many problems with the base game being reported in the official forum. I understand the need to increase revenue but can’t help thinking that this policy is possibly why greater numbers are not currently playing the game.

Its already been explained that reducing content does not mean improvements come faster. You can't just have track designers stop work because the netcode needs improvement. They are different teams with different skill sets. Besides they just had two months of mostly updates and one car and one track released. Not to mention its a small dev, during a pandemic.

But how do you decide who is a troll and who is an informed critic making what they feel are valid points. If you silence everyone who is critical of the game, there’s less incentive for the devs to fix or improve it. Just because someone is aggressive and/or repetitive (and I’m not pointing any fingers here), that doesn’t necessarily make what they’re saying wrong. Apart from things like official stats or press releases, opinion makes up the content of most of the threads on this site. Being annoying doesn’t make a person‘s opinion any less valid. As I said in an earlier post, if you ban someone who hasn’t actually broken the forum rules your’e setting a very dangerous precedent. People will be afraid of voicing their opinion.
I believe this point has been addressed. But again, it has nothing to do with whether or not the opinions are valid. You're forgetting all of the other would be posters who come to a thread looking for a topic and only see that its hijacked, derailed and move on. What about them? I'll tell you, I joined RD and used to peruse the threads, but I stopped because everyone with a positive opinion about AMS2 got smashed and laughed at. The only reason I'm commenting here is because I'm tired of it and I feel like sticking up for other ASM2 supporters.

AMS2 is not even close to being done

The problem is that prospective buyers on Steam don't necessarily know that. I bought AMS2 at the beginning of early access fully expecting there to be a lot of early teething problems and, like many others, I was surprised when early access suddenly ended. When Reiza called it v1.0, it made people think that it was a fully functional game (which, in my opinion, it wasn't at that time) with just some additional features/cars/tracks still to come. As a result, people tried it thinking that the base game was working but just needed polishing, whilst in reality there were still many problems which needed to be resolved. I think that if Reiza had been less keen to take it out of early access, more people would have been prepared to stick with it until the issues were fixed.

Its already been explained that reducing content does not mean improvements come faster. You can't just have track designers stop work because the netcode needs improvement.

I understand that. However, as I said above, it was the basic game which many players expected to be fairly functional with v1.0 and in a number of areas it wasn't. Whether it's the reality of the situation or not, when paid DLC is released for a game that still has some fundamental problems, it starts to look a bit like a money grab. Once out of early access, games tend to succeed or fail on how good a first impression they make and that's what I personally feel held (and is still holding) AMS2 back.

I'll tell you, I joined RD and used to peruse the threads, but I stopped because everyone with a positive opinion about AMS2 got smashed and laughed at.

We obviously have differing opinions on this. There are a lot of posts praising AMS2 in this forum and I don't see the majority of them being "smashed and laughed at" - quite the opposite in many cases. The reality, for me at least, is that I just don't see the amazing sim that some people seem to be experiencing and, to get a balanced view, I feel that this needs to be pointed out. We all use different hardware with different settings and will, inevitably get different results and this may well be were the problem lies. I race for fun and will probably never be seen as being really competitive so I don't want to spend all of my leisure time fiddling with settings in the hope that I'll find the cars more drivable. As I said in an earlier post, the only other sim I have installed at present is ACC. Even in early access, that worked well for me with very little tweaking. I had hoped that AMS2 would also work reasonably well "out-of-the-box" but this hasn't been the case.

Last edited:
The problem is that prospective buyers on Steam don't necessarily know that. I bought AMS2 at the beginning of early access fully expecting there to be a lot of early teething problems and, like many others, I was surprised when early access suddenly ended. When Reiza called it v1.0, it made people think that it was a fully functional game (which, in my opinion, it wasn't at that time) with just some additional features/cars/tracks still to come. As a result, people tried it thinking that the base game was working but just needed polishing, whilst in reality there were still many problems which needed to be resolved. I think that if Reiza had been less keen to take it out of early access, more people would have been prepared to stick with it until the issues were fixed.
Its been a year and a half since that time. Time to let this go.
I understand that. However, as I said above, it was the basic game which many players expected to be fairly functional with v1.0 and in a number of areas it wasn't. Whether it's the reality of the situation or not, when paid DLC is released for a game that still has some fundamental problems, it starts to look a bit like a money grab. Once out of early access, games tend to succeed or fail on how good a first impression they make and that's what I personally feel held (and is still holding) AMS2 back.
ACC proves otherwise
We obviously have differing opinions on this. There are a lot of posts praising AMS2 in this forum and I don't see the majority of them being "smashed and laughed at" - quite the opposite in many cases. The reality, for me at least, is that I just don't see the amazing sim that some people seem to be experiencing and, to get a balanced view, I feel that this needs to be pointed out. We all use different hardware with different settings and will, inevitably get different results and this may well be were the problem lies. I race for fun and will probably never be seen as being really competitive so I don't want to spend all of my leisure time fiddling with settings in the hope that I'll find the cars more drivable. As I said in an earlier post, the only other sim I have installed at present is ACC. Even in early access, that worked well for me with very little tweaking. I had hoped that AMS2 would also work reasonably well "out-of-the-box" but this hasn't been the case.
Im sorry you dont like AMS2 im super happy you love ACC. Improving the cars via setups is and should be part of the sim racing experience. Kunos had the resources to tune them per car and track so people don’t have. Thats great. But its not a knock on AMS2. Too many cars too many tracks.

At some point it will have the features you and others are looking for. You’re always free to change your mind. AMS2 isnt going anywhere, despite the 1.0 release.

Sadly, that’s what I’ve been hoping for with each new release. AMS2 has potential - just unfulfilled in some significant areas for me in its current state.
That's probably the same for everyone, albeit different areas for different people., some more significant than others. I therefore understand that somebody cannot enjoy the game currently while somebody else still has a lot of fun. Letting the devs know and discussing what you're missing is one thing and generally welcome, but rambling on about the same issues all the time in several threads just sours everything. That's the same issue AC had to suffer for its first few years and rF2 threads currently have had to bear.

Letting the devs know and discussing what you're missing is one thing and generally welcome, but rambling on about the same issues all the time in several threads just sours everything.
I hope you’re not implying that I’m “rambling on” - after my initial post I’ve just been responding to subsequent comments. It’s a shame that you think that someone politely disagreeing with other people’s opinions, and giving the reasons why, is souring everything. I think it’s important to point out that it’s not an amazing sim experience for everyone. As far as reporting my thoughts to the devs, I’ve done that already. I don’t think that AMS2 is necessarily bad, it’s just not as good in some key areas as I hoped it would be. Consider this my last post in this thread.

Last edited:
This thread is about “AMS2 is getting better and better” and the OP seemed to be wanting to talk about how to enjoy the sim. Even naysayers seem to mostly admit that there have been incremental improvements, but somehow feel compelled to say “maybe it is better but not better enough”. Fair enough, everyone has their priorities and preferences… however.

The internet is chock full of negativity if you want to seek it out, and if I wanted to complain about what's wrong with AMS2 there are plenty of threads about precisely that to engage in. Why derail a positive thread with complaints and arguments when it just lowers the mood of people looking for a good time with their sim, who are trying to share enjoyment about the things that the sim does do well.

I come to a thread like this to hear about good car/track combos from players who have found some hidden gem, or get suggestions for what older content is worth revisiting. We all know the sim has faults, but that was the case for most of the AMS1 dev cycle as well and not only did it turn out pretty good, it was a pretty fun sim even when it wasn't in its final state, provided you figured out how to get the most out of it.

I hope you’re not implying that I’m “rambling on” - after my initial post I’ve just been responding to subsequent comments. It’s a shame that you think that someone politely disagreeing with other people’s opinions, and giving the reasons why, is souring everything.
No not you specifically, sorry if I gave the impression. I was talking generally. Politely disagreeing is alright, that's what discussions are made of.

If you care to look through the numerous AMS2 discussion threads, there are several rambly posts that are just complaining for complaining's sake. Reshaderacer was the extreme example, but there are a few that are similar, and it's tiring and doesn't contribute to anything.

If somebody has a grievance by all means voice it, but repeating it in several threads won't do anything but cause negativity and maybe even division.

Sadly, that’s what I’ve been hoping for with each new release. AMS2 has potential - just unfulfilled in some significant areas for me in its current state.
I get from your posts that you have a passionate dislike for AMS2, and that is fine as we all like different things. I think at this point you should uninstall it, and move on to the sims you do like. I think they have made great strides, and are already at a state of being one of the best sims made so far.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 118 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 88 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 63 6.8%
  • < 5 years