Automobilista 2 | Hotfix Update 1.1.0.5 Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Yet another new Automobilsta 2 hotfix update released on Steam recently - adding plenty of interesting fixes, tweaks, improvements and changes to the popular racing title.
  • Various physics improvements.
  • Update to Spa.
  • New community liveries.

In something of a flurry of recent updates, Reiza Studios have remained hard at work bringing yet further goodies to the AMS 2 racing simulation on Steam, with another hotfix update deployment dropping on Friday hot off the back of the recent V1.1.0.4 update of earlier this week.

Update Notes:

Automobilista 2 has now been updated to v1.1.0.5 - this is a hotfix to further complement our latest release with some additional improvements and corrections.

The update is large in size (1.6GB) because of a build error changing the checksum of some large files that have otherwise remained unchanged - we apologise in advance if that causes any inconvenience.

AMS 2 Middle.jpg

V1.1.0.5 CHANGELOG

GENERAL

• Fixed bug that could lead to vehicles receiving draft from vehicles far behind them

UI
  • Fixed distance to screen value on triple screen setup
PHYSICS
  • Further driveline adjustments & fine tuning, fixing issues with clutch slipping in upshifts with some cars
  • Adjusted default clutch setting for Stock cars, Montana, Camaro GT4R, Porsches
  • Fixed bug with F-Retro wet tires breaking physics
  • Fixed bug with F-Ultimate slicks breaking physics if driven on wet
  • Adjusted default gear ratios for M1 Procar, Group A cars
AI
  • Further improvements to AI lateral weaving/abruptness of movement
  • Added new improvements to AI behaviour when it predicts it´s going to run off the road (should reduce some causes of abrupt lateral movement / loss of control)
  • Further general A performance callibration
AUDIO
  • Caterham Academy: adjusted sounds, improved audio loops
  • Copa Fusca: Fixed engine sound drop-off during gear shifts
  • SprintRace: further improvements to audio loops
  • M1 Procar: increased volume when driving in swingman view
TRACKS
  • Spa: various fixes for lodding pop-ups, further optimization
  • Velopark: Improved wall collisions; fixed some terrain gaps; improved shadows; adjusted tire stack height; adjusted 3D grass to fix instances of wall clipping; removed shadow casting & reflections from transparent face
  • Interlagos Historic: Added startlights; removed shadow casting from transparent fences
  • Oulton Park: Added missing track lights
  • Curitiba: Adjusted HUD map zoom
  • Curvelo: Adjusted render mesh to match updated physical noise
VEHICLES:
  • Added community liveries: Copa Fusca - Fernando Goncalves #888 / Luiz Gonzaga #09 / Marcos Cruz #20 / Tom Emilsen #3422 / Troyan Donut #61 / Filomena Silva #00
  • Caterham 360 Superlight - Allan Nenes #25 / Gasper Zupan #2
  • Caterham 620R - Gyda Marvik #25 / Chris Shire #26

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 - available now exclusively to PC.

Want to know more about the sim? Got a trick or tip to share with the community? Fire up a thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and share that knowledge!

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

Last edited:
Cars still look like they would rotate on a stick in the center of the car and with some artificial over/understeer here and there. And that's exactly how they feel.

Given that Reiza has released countless physics updates already and cars still feel weird, i don't think this game will ever feel realistic at all.

If cars were rotating on a stick in the center of the car, every car must have a very small turning circle. Are there any cars in the game with unrealistically small turning circles? I haven’t found any yet.

It could be that your ingame FOV does not match with your real FOV. Did you calculate your real FOV and set that FOV ingame?

I don't think, he is complaining about rears braking loose, but the cars actually rotating on a perfect middle axis, instead of including the directional movement of 4 involved tires, much lateral struggle, engine position, etc.. I actually see, what he means, but i really would like to see some recordings of it, especially in external view, to isolate this impression from the also known cockpit camera explanation, that was given often in return to this.

I know games, doing these kind of things. (Colin McRae Rally 4 was an example, where you were driving around this stick the whole time to some degree) So it's interesting, if it can be definetly seen.

Okay from watching a video of CMR4 in chase cam I can see what you mean. I can also say I have never ever seen a car behave like that in AMS2. Not even the ARC Camaro. Would be happy to see a video demonstrating otherwise.

If cars were rotating on a stick in the center of the car, every car must have a very small turning circle. Are there any cars in the game with unrealistically small turning circles? I haven’t found any yet.

It could be that your ingame FOV does not match with your real FOV. Did you calculate your real FOV and set that FOV ingame?

I agree. I believe the perception of cars 'rotating on a central axis' is due to the camera settings. I don't experience it, but I beleive the Madness camera works differently to other popular sims. For me, 'legacy' with head movement at 25 and no G-force gives a perfect camera. If i use 'non legacy', I can see why people talk about the bumpiness being a problem. I think the camera in a sim is often overlooked as being the cause of percieved issues.

The problem any developer has with creating a 'new' sim, is that people are very used to whatever sim they play regularly, they just want everything to feel like what they are used to. I had previously put a lot of time in to Pcars 2, so AMS2 feels great to me.

EDIT: Formula Trainer Advanced is a great car for getting a feel for AMS2.

Last edited:
I keep hearing this criticism about cars turning on a stick and have no clue what it means either. The only car I would say comes to close to feeling like that is the ARC Camaro, and that thing is basically a shopping cart with a bike engine in it. Some people get really angry because the rear tyres can break loose and steering the car with power oversteer is a thing? Not every sim needs to be an ACC-style understeer simulator.
I think also what alot of folks get confused about when the car goes past a certain angle in a slide and it spins is that they simply run out of steering angle to counter steer. Ever found that you get past a certain angle in the Mclaren 720 GT3 and you cant recover? Its cause its only got 18 degrees of sterring lock as default. The wheels simply cannot countersteer to the angle required, therefore you loose control. Soloution, increase steering lock, simple! I tend to push the Mclaren a bit too hard sometimes and its made doubly risky when you consider your in a car which relys quite heavyly on not having its areo seal broken, so it will snap when it goes, but that extra steering allows me much more chance of a save, that and a small adjustment of the coast diff ramp,

Same with the brakes overheating at the front, a few adjustments to ducts, pressure and bias, and you can get a lovely even all round temp, which reduces chances of overheating and brake fade, but different tracks can require some very different settings in this respect. I must say im absoloutely loving playing with the setups in this way, and the way I can really feel and see the cars responce to changes, spent most of last night just running tests and laps at Brands in a practice and quali session. Alot of the time i just wanna race, but its great to just spend some time with the setups and playing with them to get, well, sometimes not maybe the optimal lap time, but just making the car feel how you really like it! Driving pleasure is I guess what im driving at here (did ya see what I did there!:D)

Porsche Cayman is a good one. Its v tame and understeery on defaults, but play with it enough and you can turn it into a bit of a sideways fun park!

Out of interrest, do you have some car examples, that seem especially affected? And do you maybe even have time to record a video, showing the impression, you get? External would be also pretty nice in particular (chase/trackside for example).

Just if you have time and feel like it, of course. :)
The Mercedes Group A at Adelaide. I was online with it, yesterday, and bof! Try it. A "radio controlled car", but not in outside view.
The formula Reiza is indeed pretty funny. Also the F3.

Conversely, the AI improvements are huge.

Last edited:
Let me explain the Porsche 4.0 cup car to people.

Well just been driving the MCR and the Porsche cup 4.0. Previously I drove the 3.8 last week which for whatever reason has not fared as well over the last 2 patches - I would not say ruined though and its possible I driving like a fool - in the last round of updates. So it swapped around - before the 3.8 was just that much better.

I am very impressed. There's a lot to like.

With Porsche cup on curvelo and the full nordschlief+GP track (bad spelling, will fix!!) made minor adjustments

break opening 60, preload went up 1 iirc and then 80 for power ramp and 60 for coast. The bottom lsd it got put to 50 (100 ruined the balance). Then downforce I adjusted only 1 point either way, but having it too high for these tracks (i.e one point up at 7.0) was too much. So downforce was at 5.0. IF the toe-in is not positive then I have it at .5.

And this setup was so engaging and lively and without that whole understeer/oversteer stuff that plagued one update just gone, I saved it! So the fun was such that even if another track is not ideal for that I would probably run it at least some of the time.

Now... the MCR more than ever its a definite race car atm in this game. I have been using it more and more, in place of the roco albeit, and I will get around to using that again.

This is all very interesting (and I did try the 2019 stock car today but I simply could not drive it well); because the settings for various cars are so much easier to dial in and do what you want now/expect.

As such I would rate the 4.0 cup car one of the best drives/makings of one of the best drives in sim racing once you dial it in to the track - not that hard frankly. While true I simply was not getting the break-feel at 50% opening on front and rear (only at 60%) I only did a 7 lap race which I did not finish, meaning I do not know how long those breaks will last given theres such a large difference [I think anyway need confirmation] from 50% to 60% for curvelo at least]; I dropped it to test the MCR, on a time limit. But I will be going back to drive it again before too long. Much like the other cup car it stuck in my head.

So, with that in mind I then went to Nord+enduro/GP, and the Porsche was amazing there.

Other day I did Rfactor2 and raceroom at these tracks + ACC for a little and AMS2 is RIGHT up there for experience. That was with the 3.8 previously and it was not at the top, now I reckon with the changes and the 4.0 in this patch it is in fact right up there.

The absolute best car in sim racing I have come across recently is the 2020 Audi's dtm's in Raceroom and even the BMW's (they are the latest cars made and I drove them at the new Brands hatch - unbelievably the indy track is considered separate - ---- one thing you can't say bad of Reiza is you don't feel jipped.

I have some choice words about that I am purposefully leaving out.

Anyway lol... for real.... anyway... Yes I have raced a lot of but not all the ACC cars in both packs, so maybe I am missing something and I have/can't remember the amount of cars in rFactor2 I have driven... doesn't matter I can categorically say (and I am trying to be objective) its right up there.

So the whole system at least for that car/track combo is beginning to integrate and function well, I see in AMS2. These are some of the last cars/track to get the treatment so I can only assume development (in terms of its execution/roll-out) is going well.

I would love to know what conversations beyond self preservation they have at RR the ceo and marketing when they run this bulldust past each other and he/she signs off on it [if at all they have these conversations, which they probably don't].

Are these same people down at shopping centers and malls stopping people with such tactics as "hey sir a moment of your time! Care to donate to a cause you simply don't even care about!"

Thats where I actually put such tactics. I have tried to limit the diatribe. And lets reframe this so there's just less shame all round. Its a decent track after all. I do not regret the sale - its a more than worthy track but only its nature and the whole 'when you buy a track you get all tracks'

Last edited:
I agree. I believe the perception of cars 'rotating on a central axis' is due to the camera settings. I don't experience it, but I beleive the Madness camera works differently to other popular sims.
Yes, the "rotating on central axis" effect is due to chase cam on madness engine.
This is the reason on cockpit camera you doesn't notice it...

I think also what alot of folks get confused about when the car goes past a certain angle in a slide and it spins is that they simply run out of steering angle to counter steer....

No, it's not this.

AMS2 Cars turn in a similar way to an FPS; your view rotates on a single central axis. The only 2 cars I've found that don't do this are the JCW and 911GT3. Whatever the faults in other sims when I turn the wheel in them the car(s) will rotate on their axles with a fluidity that is just not present in AMS2.

For want of a better way of putting it, in any other sim I feel the relationship between the front and back of the car when I'm turning in, in AMS2 the front and back 'move' at the same time, speed and radius.

So, taking that long left turn at Spa in RF2/AC/RR3 I turn the wheel, I feel the tyres load and the car rotates until I inevitably spin out.

AMS2 feels like a series of left-on/off/left-on inputs which has nothing to do with slip/grip...to me it feels like rotation in AMS2 works a square-wave rather than a sine-wave*.

EDIT: This is in VR/Cockpit-cam.

EDIT 2: I suspect that this may be one of those things like 60/100/120 fps, where people are tuned differently. Where 60fps in VR gives some people headaches I can happily race for hours etc.

*This may not be literally correct, but hopefully illustrates how cars feel.

Last edited:
So, I know the McLaren Gt1 car is a car in search of a reason to exist, and they only made 100 in real life of the street version, but who ever gets to drive it, and I note they went back to the middle seat in their latest effort, is a lucky person.

You step on the brake and its almost raceroom-levels of feedback. The rear (at default) pulls out and around. Its laser-like forward accuracy otherwise. You can make it oversteer on the turn in now, and its no longer seeming to simply want to shift sideways like a crab! There is even a sense of lift off oversteer.

No.... maybe the rear wheels are locking a little its hard to tell but the improvement is significant.

I consider raceroom, being on a tried and true engine and of course many years of development (post mid 2020 I say this of...) is the barometer. There's a real forward movement and inertia about raceroom that gels with me. And a tightness, few cars if any are like boats. I am beginning to see that in AMS2 as well.

I do not think a financial model based on absolute realism is the way to go and that niche is done, but RR is just so "there" in terms of everything it needs to be, in SO MANY categories and game-modes.

Name 1 person who has driven the race version of the McLaren, and I do not know if they were consulted - but this car is pretty darn good at the moment. Its 'up there', and rather than quantify it I just want to know if a car is believable and if I want to go back for more.

The answer is a resounding YES.

Now, in RR there is a take-off procedure, the launch. Thats here in this car, but missing from others. Its not linear, you need to 'work' the car, the throttle, the clutch...

But is this not what makes these titles memorable? Giving a place to the not so well known things.

This is an indication to me that both these devs are doing well.

And if I mention RRe in this, an AMS2 thread - believe me, its a major compliment toward the hard work and dedication being shown in terms of output.

I am not normally this limited and specific in my praise but I am thoroughly impressed nonetheless. It might be this topic is esoteric, but I think the turn around the title made in this last 3 month period is actually pretty fantastic.

(When I test/drive I do a 10 minute practice across all random weather, forcing me to drive the car properly and qualify if possible in the top half of the pack, if I do not I start again - and qualifying is literally enough depending to get about 3 laps in, a race is 7 laps, and if it rains during qualifying - tough luck but race is dry)... I find even driving in the rain now in this game is great. This is literally the only method, and setting up the car, I know to push myself in single player. So I am driving the cars hard; and on that, IF I can catch the A.I in the car, I increase the difficulty, as I only want to run the best lines (to beat them and not because I bumped them off lol).

despite lift off oversteer which is good - when I want more spin on the wheels I drop down more gears and overload the diff just breifly and also pulse the throttle to gather back grip. If there's a hint of that left over in this patch then its better than ever to drive the cars and account for that. There is definitely more slip than a game like raceroom (rfactor 2.1 engine or some such; thus it will be automatically better off just now), but its kinda similar.

Last edited:
My VR experience so far has been very good, from a RX580 to GTX1080 (RIP) and now a RTX3060ti. I did however come across a complete performance nightmare in the shape of Kansai (Suzuka). Massive choppiness, expecially in the twisties.

Anyone else had trouble with this track? I tried 3 different classes and it they all ran great on the other tracks but this one was like trying to run Indycar on my 486 sx33.

My VR experience so far has been very good, from a RX580 to GTX1080 (RIP) and now a RTX3060ti. I did however come across a complete performance nightmare in the shape of Kansai (Suzuka). Massive choppiness, expecially in the twisties.

Anyone else had trouble with this track? I tried 3 different classes and it they all ran great on the other tracks but this one was like trying to run Indycar on my 486 sx33.

Well VR is heavy but been fine for you - A.I can be heavy on the CPU, probably thinking a lot about the twisties; you can always run less cars...

Do you think it might be a graphics driver issue? No one really seems to be reporting graphics issues even with 1080s (which lets face it are still just fine to use as cards)

One of the worst things about Nvidia becoming a 300b$ company and the relentless push into ever wider areas/revenue streams is the increased dev time for the drivers, which are also more complex than ever.

__

Thats the reason, but whats the affirmative action? Because I will not buy a 3080 (or 70/next versions or even AMD) for 2 years, still have not cracked open cyberpunk and want to finish off Kingdom come lol, and ark single player.

It would be bad of me with my schedule to do such a thing anyway.

--- Point: have you set up your power profiles in windows well to be max performance? Is the card throttling or power usage down - and have you run afterburner/riveratuner server, and what are the driver patch notes saying - indeed have you updated your driver?

Sometimes windows loads the worst driver for (probably) compatibility reasons, when you then have to go to their website and download the newest driver manually.

And maybe IF you upgraded from a 2080 for example, have you considered/must maybe, don't know - but try, to reinstall that driver from their website AFTER you run the clean-graphics utility (wll get name for you; >> its DD graphics uninstaller I think from guru 3d, its in a folder so needs no install, I call it nvidsia uninstaller - often needed by me...) you run it from SAFE MODE in windows...and you use msconfig to set the safemode flag and there again to turn it off once done during safemode. And maybe check the power pins, etc if they came loose if you were inside the PC at some stage. And also you power supply....

So for those things obviously riva-tuner which needs afterburner running, you set up the on screen display which I bet you have at one point, and see which is loaded up more, cpu or gpu and have the graphs etc, and you can also use windows in-built one in task manager as well as the x-box one (its in settings to bring it up which for games these days is very good)...plus windows has a way more powerful one....forget its name I do use it fairly regularly and it literally is a entire systems profiler down to the nitty-gritty...then check memory speed (in bios or cpu-z) and check if the new ram function of 3080 are somehow interfering, and also check for gsync compatibility (in control panel, sometimes IF you have it full window or not it can cause problems) and maybe turn off various settings, and alter various ones (just for the time being) in the game to get things back to being more compatible.

But honestly first place to start is probably less Ai cars.

Not trying to tell you what to do so much you did install the card and all that I am sure you know most of what to do just a check list.

Last edited:
hey, surely you guys realize that the game is designed primarily for wheels and pedals (with daylight a long, distant second before controllers in 3rd place)?

This game has excellent reviews everywhere, except for a few all major youtubers are praising this game. AMS2 fans praise this game like it will render every other sim obsolete. However it has the lowest player base of all sims. IMO this game would only benefit if it had a better controller support to increase it's player base, which would benefit the wheel users also because Reiza would have more money to invest in it.

Also, not all users have the money or space to have a full rig/wheel, and at the end of the day it's just a videogame.

hey, surely you guys realize that the game is designed primarily for wheels and pedals (with daylight a long, distant second before controllers in 3rd place)?

You miss out on so much with just a controller.

Not trying to be mean - of course people play NBA2k with a keyboard! Its just the objective reality - if you play this with a controller you'd be better served doing something else with your time, is all. While its entirely feasible to do so, if a little lousy, the point of the game is not to use a controller - because in this instance a controller is too casual and not the intended experience...

It would be like playing Valve's Alex without VR....

And also - I can't imagine ANY one, ever, sorry, wanting to play Rfactor 2 with a controller. One may as well play super mario cart or something. It would be a lot more fun.

Its farcical. But good luck to you. 2 people, maybe 3, probably represent 1% of the player base, so its not insignificant a number just now - you never know your luck in a big city.

I would have thought that IF patch 1.1.0.5 didn't have controller updates - I would call that an inappreciable thing. Making such calls for it almost unacceptable.

__

People would have already paid 1000+ for a pc - and 50-100 local currency for the game itself. As such, you really owe it to yourself to experience the title with a wheel.

The price, locally? lol 300 for A FULL RIG [G27 AND FRAME AND pedals, chair]...

You know it makes sense... in US$ thats 30% less, so 210. Second hand.

Make these people offers - even if its just a G27 and pedals by itself - go to their listings and low-ball the living- farrrk out of them! lol. :)

^> ?? I refuse to believe someone who bought a g27 for 450, would want/demand to sell it for 400. Its absurd - he would need to put a 3 in front of it, and then probably at most an 8 for the next numeral. The man will probably take a lot less. He is simply looking to fund his next wheel.

Yes - there's this livid dream about gaming being inclusive - daughters of developers were apparently itching to play Battlefield but you never saw one, and 50% of wow players are girls apparently - even IF only a couple do youtube and 1 girl did gw2 on youtube - you be the judge of the dream (and my gf plays this game but its barely an interest of hers.. and lets face it driving itself is fairly ubiquitous itself) - and you can LIVE that dream - go for it, but while you do, please get a wheel at some point, all those titles are far better with a wheel.

I hate to burst your narcissistic little bubble, but surely you realize that there are people who are physically incapable of operating a wheel and/or pedals. My friend's son (Nick) has Muscular Dystrophy - he's been confined to a wheelchair since the age of 8, and recently got his driver's license at the age of 21 using a vehicle with hand controls, since he cannot operate the pedals. As a society we try to include and accommodate people with such limitations as much as possible. Nick loves to play video games, and he really likes racing games in particular - where he is obviously limited to using a controller. So, according to your post if Nick was to call for a controller update it would be "almost unacceptable"?!!? God forbid the kid should ever read a post like yours - but if he did, how do you think that would make him feel??? Take off your blinders and realize there is a whole world of people out there that have a different life experience than your own.

Wall of waffle-free edition - Kansai and a few other tracks still need optimising, it's been reported multiple times on the official forum.

I hate to burst your narcissistic little bubble, but surely you realize that there are people who are physically incapable of operating a wheel and/or pedals. My friend's son (Nick) has Muscular Dystrophy - he's been confined to a wheelchair since the age of 8, and recently got his driver's license at the age of 21 using a vehicle with hand controls, since he cannot operate the pedals. As a society we try to include and accommodate people with such limitations as much as possible. Nick loves to play video games, and he really likes racing games in particular - where he is obviously limited to using a controller. So, according to your post if Nick was to call for a controller update it would be "almost unacceptable"?!!? God forbid the kid should ever read a post like yours - but if he did, how do you think that would make him feel??? Take off your blinders and realize there is a whole world of people out there that have a different life experience than your own.
I totally agree with what you said. We should try to include everyone in our hobby.
Have you seen this? https://www.teambrit.co.uk/hand-controls
I'm sure it would be a really nice option for your friend's son. Or maybe even a DIY setup.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back