Automobilista 2 | Hotfix Update 1.1.0.5 Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Yet another new Automobilsta 2 hotfix update released on Steam recently - adding plenty of interesting fixes, tweaks, improvements and changes to the popular racing title.
  • Various physics improvements.
  • Update to Spa.
  • New community liveries.

In something of a flurry of recent updates, Reiza Studios have remained hard at work bringing yet further goodies to the AMS 2 racing simulation on Steam, with another hotfix update deployment dropping on Friday hot off the back of the recent V1.1.0.4 update of earlier this week.

Update Notes:

Automobilista 2 has now been updated to v1.1.0.5 - this is a hotfix to further complement our latest release with some additional improvements and corrections.

The update is large in size (1.6GB) because of a build error changing the checksum of some large files that have otherwise remained unchanged - we apologise in advance if that causes any inconvenience.

AMS 2 Middle.jpg

V1.1.0.5 CHANGELOG

GENERAL

• Fixed bug that could lead to vehicles receiving draft from vehicles far behind them

UI
  • Fixed distance to screen value on triple screen setup
PHYSICS
  • Further driveline adjustments & fine tuning, fixing issues with clutch slipping in upshifts with some cars
  • Adjusted default clutch setting for Stock cars, Montana, Camaro GT4R, Porsches
  • Fixed bug with F-Retro wet tires breaking physics
  • Fixed bug with F-Ultimate slicks breaking physics if driven on wet
  • Adjusted default gear ratios for M1 Procar, Group A cars
AI
  • Further improvements to AI lateral weaving/abruptness of movement
  • Added new improvements to AI behaviour when it predicts it´s going to run off the road (should reduce some causes of abrupt lateral movement / loss of control)
  • Further general A performance callibration
AUDIO
  • Caterham Academy: adjusted sounds, improved audio loops
  • Copa Fusca: Fixed engine sound drop-off during gear shifts
  • SprintRace: further improvements to audio loops
  • M1 Procar: increased volume when driving in swingman view
TRACKS
  • Spa: various fixes for lodding pop-ups, further optimization
  • Velopark: Improved wall collisions; fixed some terrain gaps; improved shadows; adjusted tire stack height; adjusted 3D grass to fix instances of wall clipping; removed shadow casting & reflections from transparent face
  • Interlagos Historic: Added startlights; removed shadow casting from transparent fences
  • Oulton Park: Added missing track lights
  • Curitiba: Adjusted HUD map zoom
  • Curvelo: Adjusted render mesh to match updated physical noise
VEHICLES:
  • Added community liveries: Copa Fusca - Fernando Goncalves #888 / Luiz Gonzaga #09 / Marcos Cruz #20 / Tom Emilsen #3422 / Troyan Donut #61 / Filomena Silva #00
  • Caterham 360 Superlight - Allan Nenes #25 / Gasper Zupan #2
  • Caterham 620R - Gyda Marvik #25 / Chris Shire #26

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 - available now exclusively to PC.

Want to know more about the sim? Got a trick or tip to share with the community? Fire up a thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and share that knowledge!

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

Last edited:
No, it's not this.

AMS2 Cars turn in a similar way to an FPS; your view rotates on a single central axis. The only 2 cars I've found that don't do this are the JCW and 911GT3. Whatever the faults in other sims when I turn the wheel in them the car(s) will rotate on their axles with a fluidity that is just not present in AMS2.

For want of a better way of putting it, in any other sim I feel the relationship between the front and back of the car when I'm turning in, in AMS2 the front and back 'move' at the same time, speed and radius.

So, taking that long left turn at Spa in RF2/AC/RR3 I turn the wheel, I feel the tyres load and the car rotates until I inevitably spin out.

AMS2 feels like a series of left-on/off/left-on inputs which has nothing to do with slip/grip...to me it feels like rotation in AMS2 works a square-wave rather than a sine-wave*.

EDIT: This is in VR/Cockpit-cam.

EDIT 2: I suspect that this may be one of those things like 60/100/120 fps, where people are tuned differently. Where 60fps in VR gives some people headaches I can happily race for hours etc.

*This may not be literally correct, but hopefully illustrates how cars feel.
I've tried to comprehend this but I can't as this just straight up aint happening for me. Infact ive been too tired and I'll to drive for the last 4 days but i've just sat down in the rig and taken a drive around Spa in the Mclaren (in an effort to try and wake myself up) and im getting completely the opposite of what you describe, I can see it to. There are no single point physics going on here or the car would look like it was constantly sliding (as could be observed in the early Colin Mcrae Rally games where this was actually the case). Infact if you look at any replay footage this is plainly not happening

Last edited:
Actually thats just made me realise summit, on the subject of replays! Too I'll & Tired to race but, hang on, raked up a fair few great race's over the last few weeks and saved the replays, and AMS2 replays do look so damn good.... Right, I know what im doing after i've finished binge watching Channel 4 box sets! Cheers mate! Can't play it, but can still enjoy it, sorted!

I've tried to comprehend this but I can't as this just straight up aint happening for me. Infact ive been too tired and I'll to drive for the last 4 days but i've just sat down in the rig and taken a drive around Spa in the Mclaren (in an effort to try and wake myself up) and im getting completely the opposite of what you describe, I can see it to. There are no single point physics going on here or the car would look like it was constantly sliding (as could be observed in the early Colin Mcrae Rally games where this was actually the case). Infact if you look at any replay footage this is plainly not happening

Actually I think I'm experiencing it too or I think I understand what those who complain about it mean.

I get that feeling when I'm in some slower corners, like hairpins. It's like the car (Stockv8 for example) has too much lateral traction in relation to its speed and it feels like it's somehow rotating around an axle, "perfectly". Like some kind of broken car/tire physics. Might be realistic when compared to real values and a mathematical analysis of the reactions of the car/tires based on real life. But when added to the FFB which gives no clear indication of something like THAT happening, it gets into some kind of "car sim uncanny valley". Like its mimicking the reality but it feels out of place with what you're experiencing or what you would expect.

AMS1's FFB might be crude when compared to AMS2'. Its tire model might be simpler. Still, with a T300, corner forces, tires breaking traction, all "makes sense" through the wheel. It's intuitive.
In AMS2, as far as I'm concerned, it sometimes feels disconnected or strange. It might feel better with a DD wheel (?)

Last edited:
Actually I think I'm experiencing it too or I think I understand what those who complain about it mean.

I get that feeling when I'm in some slower corners, like hairpins. It's like the car (Stockv8 for example) has too much lateral traction in relation to its speed and it feels like it's somehow rotating around an axle, "perfectly". Like some kind of broken car/tire physics. Might be realistic when compared to real values and a mathematical analysis of the reactions of the car/tires based on real life. But when added to the FFB which gives no clear indication of something like THAT happening, it gets into some kind of "car sim uncanny valley". Like its mimicking the reality but it feels out of place with what you're experiencing or what you would expect.

AMS1's FFB might be crude when compared to AMS2'. Its tire model might be simpler. Still, with a T300, corner forces, tires breaking traction, all "makes sense" through the wheel. It's intuitive.
In AMS2, as far as I'm concerned, it sometimes feels disconnected or strange. It might feel better with a DD wheel (?)

Interesting, im now wondering if you and Jacob are talking about FFB or Physics, cause when it comes to FFB feel, i can understand both of you more easily, there's definately more work still to be done. But if its in terms of the physics of the car being on a single point then I can't agree at all. But I think we're getting somewhere. Btw, when you say "it feels like it's somehow rotating around an axle, perfectly", just to be clear do you mean axle or axis?

I can see one reason why the feel seems odd in the Stockcar and thats down to driving position, in that machine the driving position is so far back you are phyically slap bang in the middle of the car, but then again that could not be it at all! Its a bloody odd one is'nt it!

I get that feeling when I'm in some slower corners, like hairpins. It's like the car (Stockv8 for example) has too much lateral traction in relation to its speed and it feels like it's somehow rotating around an axle, "perfectly". Like some kind of broken car/tire physics.
I guess you mean on the throttle and it's more obvious with the Super V8 thanks to it's spool. The physical reason for that is a locking differential, that delivers the torque according to the lateral grip distribution. In a tight hairpin you probably get a 90/10 weight distribution to the outside tyres or even 100/0 if you hop over an inside curb and actually driving on the outside tyres only. According to the physics of a locking differential you also get 90% or even 100% torque to the outside wheel when applying the throttle while the inside wheel rotates on the same speed than the outside, but faster than needed, so slipping and even amplify the rotation.

I was only driving karts on a track, but the principle is the same and the reason why karts can be so quick in corners even the rear wheels always rotating at the same speed. Especially in the Super V8 this rotation is even more extreme, because the suspension transfers more weight to the outside tyres. Since a kart doesn't have a suspension so will always provide weight on the inside wheels, the rotation feels more natural. The purpose of a limited slip differential is to even this out and the Stockcars (2020 and older) got a bit less locking lately and got a bit quicker through fast corners for that reason.

I criticize ACC because their torque distribution can't be right at all. You always have on-throttle understeer and feels like an open (GT4) or not properly working LSD (GT3) that doesn't do any significant torque transfer it should do according to the physics. If racers could only choose between an open and a locked differential, they would always choose the latter, because it's faster and more predictable like with karts.

PS: You can see in onboards if a car has a more open or locking differential. With a more open differential you want to rotate the car off-throttle (like in ACC) and apply throttle when the car is already pointing to the apex. With a more locking differential you want to go on the throttle early to rotate the car. Both GT3 and GT4 are certainly more on the locking side, so not like ACC.

Last edited:
I realize my comment reads like some totally subjective account of what I'm experiencing.

TLDR; I acknowledge physics in AMS2, the way they're currently done, might be perfectly realistic or plausible at least.
The thing is, with a belt-driven T300 on a desk chair, the FFB feels sometimes vague or disconnected in a way that makes you question the whole physic engine. Maybe because that same FFB feels quite good in other parts of the game (road feel, curbs, etc.).

Never had this "problem" with AMS1. Even at the very start of the early access.

...getting somewhere. Btw, when you say "it feels like it's somehow rotating around an axle, perfectly", just to be clear do you mean axle or axis?

I can see one reason why the feel seems odd in the Stockcar and thats down to driving position, in that machine the driving position is so far back you are phyically slap bang in the middle of the car, but then again that could not be it at all! Its a bloody odd one is'nt it!
I meant axis. Sorry.
The position of the seat within the car may increase that feeling. Still, never felt that in AMS1.

@Leynad777,

I think I understand what a diff does but I wouldn't be able to tell the differences between ACC and AMS2 on this aspect. Thanks for your input.

However, "my problem" with AMS2 might lie more in how it translates all of that into the FFB. It just feels vague and sometimes broken to me.
Anyway, I'll give it another go sometime later for sure. Might have to wait some more updating.

I realize my comment reads like some totally subjective account of what I'm experiencing.

TLDR; I acknowledge physics in AMS2, the way they're currently done, might be perfectly realistic or plausible at least.
The thing is, with a belt-driven T300 on a desk chair, the FFB feels sometimes vague or disconnected in a way that makes you question the whole physic engine. Maybe because that same FFB feels quite good in other parts of the game (road feel, curbs, etc.).

Never had this "problem" with AMS1. Even at the very start of the early access.

I meant axis. Sorry.
The position of the seat within the car may increase that feeling. Still, never felt that in AMS1.

@Leynad777,

I think I understand what a diff does but I wouldn't be able to tell the differences between ACC and AMS2 on this aspect. Thanks for your input.

However, "my problem" with AMS2 might lie more in how it translates all of that into the FFB. It just feels vague and sometimes broken to me.
Anyway, I'll give it another go sometime later for sure. Might have to wait some more updating.

It sounds like you might benefit from the brilliant custom FFB files. (In fact, I think most users would). Take a look here if you are interested:

If your FFB isn't working properly, that can certainly make the physics seem broken. I would second the suggestion of trying some custom FFB files and playing with them (most people are able to get good FFB after some tweaking). I promise you it's not at all vague once you get it working properly.

Also to try and rename your My Documents/AMS2 folder to see if rebuilding the settings helps resolve some issues. Weird things can happen if your settings are in conflict with the updated version of the game, and this includes cars having setups that are impossible or totally broken, which can lead to very strange driving experiences.

But please don't spread nonsense about how the "car pivots around one point" when no one can produce a single piece of video evidence that anything like this is happening.

This.

So many hats off, hot fixes and blabla and when you go to gameplay itself is as bugged as Project Cars 2 used to be.

Ok after all this positive comments, its time for negative one :thumbsdown:

Everytime i come back to AMS2 with the intention to finally spend more time is it, i again realize .... i have to wait another couple of weeks, month, whatever :coffee:

So what happend this time? I just started the International GT Championship. First thing which stands out was the cars are obviously not balanced yet ? All the Porsches in front, followed by all Mc Larens, than a mix of BMWs and Mercedes.
Ok its not cool, but not a drama either. So i started the first race after qualifying second. It was raining for about 2-3 laps before its stopped raining and everyone including me come to the box.

Following the gamebraker - my stop incl. tyre change only (no repairs etc.) took about 15sec while some AI managed to change the tires within something like 5sec. Why that?
So obviously i right away lost more than 10 positions and quit the game :mad:

All the time since 1.0 realease i only managed to drive one buggy stock car championship. Thats a shame because the potential is huge

Cars bounce due to bumps on the road surface,and losing grip and causing extra sliding.
This sim is an epoch-making sim that reproduces it, and other sims have no or few this phenomena.
It is different from the sims that always generate the theoretical cornering force for the slip angle.
I think this difference gives some people the feeling of "car pivots around one point".

Cars bounce due to bumps on the road surface,and losing grip and causing extra sliding.
This sim is an epoch-making sim that reproduces it, and other sims have no or few this phenomena.
It is different from the sims that always generate the theoretical cornering force for the slip angle.
I think this difference gives some people the feeling of "car pivots around one point".
I think that might just be it!

I sometimes run into the appearance of cars rotating about a central axis but I’ve never said anything about it previously because I thought the circumstances that may be causing it for me were unique to my setup.

I have an old ECCI wheel that has only about 180 degrees of travel lock-to-lock. Perhaps a tiny bit more. In AMS1 this effectively prevented me from driving tracks with very tight corners. In order to even make it around those corners, I would need to have the steering in my setups set in a manner that made it overly sensitive to the point of being undrivable in common corners that have more conventional radii. This behavior does not occur for me in AMS2.

In AMS2, the default steering lock value the game assigns has felt absolutely fine and “normal” for me in the conventional/common corners. I’ve never felt a need to touch it. The situation is can be different in very tight corners such as the final chicane at Spa and of course the hairpin at Monaco. I can make it around those corners in AMS2 with the default assigned steering lock. However, the game feels like it temporarily increases the steering on its own to facilitate physically making it through these corners with my low-lock wheel. When it does this the lateral movement of the world across my display seems to slightly accelerate and does so without any additional steering input from me. Those two factors are what I think may be combining to give me the occasional rotating-about-an-axis sensation.

Again, this may be something that is more or less unique to my low lock wheel. I just wanted to throw it out there because I don’t recall anyone mentioning this “steering lock assistance” behavior and how it may be perceived by people. If this is a factor in the axis rotation thing, then you can imagine the large numbers of variables that might be at play which could make it more or less apparent to any one person: physical wheel lock setting, car setup steering lock, single display or triples, field of view settings, etc…

I think also what alot of folks get confused about when the car goes past a certain angle in a slide and it spins is that they simply run out of steering angle to counter steer. Ever found that you get past a certain angle in the Mclaren 720 GT3 and you cant recover? Its cause its only got 18 degrees of sterring lock as default. The wheels simply cannot countersteer to the angle required, therefore you loose control. Soloution, increase steering lock, simple! I tend to push the Mclaren a bit too hard sometimes and its made doubly risky when you consider your in a car which relys quite heavyly on not having its areo seal broken, so it will snap when it goes, but that extra steering allows me much more chance of a save, that and a small adjustment of the coast diff ramp,

Same with the brakes overheating at the front, a few adjustments to ducts, pressure and bias, and you can get a lovely even all round temp, which reduces chances of overheating and brake fade, but different tracks can require some very different settings in this respect. I must say im absoloutely loving playing with the setups in this way, and the way I can really feel and see the cars responce to changes, spent most of last night just running tests and laps at Brands in a practice and quali session. Alot of the time i just wanna race, but its great to just spend some time with the setups and playing with them to get, well, sometimes not maybe the optimal lap time, but just making the car feel how you really like it! Driving pleasure is I guess what im driving at here (did ya see what I did there!:D)

Porsche Cayman is a good one. Its v tame and understeery on defaults, but play with it enough and you can turn it into a bit of a sideways fun park!
I think what he means is that if you have certain settings of diff on certain cars you can get the car to dart towards the inside of the corner rotating real fast around its yaw axis when you exceed a certain steering wheel angle. It has to do with the diff openly suddenly mid-way through the corner. If you know it's coming you can use a bit of gas to control it and even be fast.
His though is highly exaggerated: first because the big majority of the cars do not have that thing anymore since several updates, second because that drive style in AMS2 is penalized heavily with rear wheels going on fire very soon if you drift your rear at every tight corner.

I think what he means is that if you have certain settings of diff on certain cars you can get the car to dart towards the inside of the corner rotating real fast around its yaw axis when you exceed a certain steering wheel angle. It has to do with the diff openly suddenly mid-way through the corner. If you know it's coming you can use a bit of gas to control it and even be fast.
His though is highly exaggerated: first because the big majority of the cars do not have that thing anymore since several updates, second because that drive style in AMS2 is penalized heavily with rear wheels going on fire very soon if you drift your rear at every tight corner.
Absoloutely, Diff setup has a very big influence on how the cars behave, also found there is still some problems with the FFB having a pretty big exponential curve when reaching X amount of grip, have actually found that experimenting with the Low force boost just recently can help to even this out a bit. I love playing with the setups in AMS2 and how much of a difference it can make, have had some majorly good time with the Camaro Road car in this respect!

This is the typical AMS2 spin - you turn in and suddenly the car jerks sharply into the apex and spins 270 degrees into the infield. The same pattern repeats in many cars. I never see this happening in any other sim.

There is just something fundamentally wrong with the car models that causes this.

This is the typical AMS2 spin - you turn in and suddenly the car jerks sharply into the apex and spins 270 degrees into the infield. The same pattern repeats in many cars. I never see this happening in any other sim.

There is just something fundamentally wrong with the car models that causes this.
That outside rear bouncing is what puts me off this sim atm. It gets away with it on some tracks/cars but on most, it is as shown in the video to some degree.

I can see what you mean, but to be fair you did then apply the accelerator again after the apex, never the less It makes me wanna go try this test, I have found the kind of behavoir you are talking about and its taken me by surprise at the moment, however i've then found that alot could be solved through setups and settings. I'd love to post you a video response as you have done to examplify this but im afraid Im not allowed, can't even make mention of where to find it or I will be banned from the forum, sorry about that. I definately think its related to the FFB, have you tried experimenting with the Low Force Boost? I would say that this sim has a tendancy to over react when compared to others, in terms of FFB, its much more noticable with some cars than others.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back