Automobilista 2 | Hockenheim DLC Preview Images Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Fresh off the back of announcing their first DLC for Automobilista 2, Reiza Studios have dropped a couple of new images from the upcoming new track.
  • Hockenheim first DLC releasing end of month.
  • Includes modern and historic layouts.
  • Will be free to all users who have purchased the base game before it's release.

The gift that keeps on giving - Reiza Studios recently revealed Hockenheim would be the first DLC to hit the simulation later this month, and as well as the current, shortened layout of the circuit, the DLC is also set to include historic variants that very offers very different experiences to the current Grand Prix configuration.

As an added bonus, the track will be giving to existing owners of AMS 2 for no extra cost (and to those that buy the game prior to DLC release date) - how good is that?

While we await release, check out these nice new screenshots of the track, provided by Reiza Studios:

AMS 2 Hockenheim 2.jpg
AMS 2 Hockenheim 1.jpg

Original Source: Reiza Studios Facebook.

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Have answers? Want to chat about AMS 2 and don't know where to go? Worry not my friend, we have just the place for you! The Automobilista 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment welcomes you with open arms - come say hello!

AMS 2 Hockenheim footer.jpg

Last edited:
yeah thanks, I don't remember seeing prices the last time I looked at it on steam, and yes I realize it's free for EA buyers (I'm one of them)

I was more just sort of pondering the business model they have laid out for the game. It seems odd to me.
Hockenheim is $9.99 US dollars stand alone ( thats the price for Silverstone and the other four tracks to come; $10~20 for the packs that they plan to release)

I respect your opinion, but am still think that ams2 tracks are better, more clean and detailed and the trees are much better, but i agree that ACC has nice tracks too. its just my opinion.

I am going to catch on to this comment and just say that, in my view, both games fail at trees. ACC has wonderfully detailed trees once the details pop into view, and it's very distracting when they do. I can't seem to find a comfortable detail level. I find Brands Hatch the worst example of this phenomenon. I'd much rather have a more simplified, yet more constant, look.

AMS 2 uses sprites for trees which look great at distance but turn and twist as you pass by them because the perspective is relative to your viewpoint. It's most noticeable at Bathurst which has trees stretching their branches over the track. I am a bit worried about trying out historic Hockenheim to be honest!

Do note that I play in VR, and the wide perspective that VR provides plays into this.

I would imagine this is a solvable issue for AMS 2, if indeed it is deemed an issue. It could be just me.

Was Project CARS 2 any different with trees?

Is this how it really looks in game, no photoshop?
I do crop from my Triple Screen shots, I sometimes lighten or darken as you can in Project Cars 2 with 'Exposure',. but generally it's an un-edited screen shot...AMS2 has not added the 'Exposure' function as yet. ;):)
Most of my Screen Shots are either early morning 6 - 7am or 5- 7pm.;)

Last edited:
Hockenheim is $9.99 US dollars stand alone ( thats the price for Silverstone and the other four tracks to come; $10~20 for the packs that they plan to release)
Hockenheim - "This the first DLC to be released for Automobilista 2, and it is FREE to all current AMS2 owners and for those who purchase AMS2 over the weekend (July 24-25-26 2020) - by July 27th the Hockenheimring Pack will be sold as an independent DLC to AMS2, and also as part of the 2020-2021 Season Pass."

Holy Moly this car is brutal for a noob like me :redface::confused::rolleyes::roflmao:...but awesome once I got a feel for it. Attacking Hockenheim Historic 1977 in the Formula Retro V8 :cool:

1977 Ostkurve in F-Retro is just...scary.

To spare anyone the same trip to YouTube I did, I can confirm that it’s correct for there not to be any brake markers for Nordkurve (turn 1) and Sachskurve on the earlier layouts of Hockenheim. It kind of feels wrong by more modern track standards but that’s the way it was.

And this is how fake news get spread in simracing

And how do you know? Have you seen the code? I have not (Either?) but I know Reiza spent many month working on thier version of the SMS engine and the result is a very different driving SIM. I also know from an expert in improving FFB in PCars2 that after looking at how, FFB works in AMS2, he realized it has nothing in commun with PC2 FFB.

Hockenheim - "This the first DLC to be released for Automobilista 2, and it is FREE to all current AMS2 owners and for those who purchase AMS2 over the weekend (July 24-25-26 2020) - by July 27th the Hockenheimring Pack will be sold as an independent DLC to AMS2, and also as part of the 2020-2021 Season Pass."
Thank you for adding the non-stand alone information, although the person I was replying to already knew that info. Maybe others, who hadn't read the thread, didn't.

And how do you know? Have you seen the code? I have not (Either?) but I know Reiza spent many month working on thier version of the SMS engine and the result is a very different driving SIM. I also know from an expert in improving FFB in PCars2 that after looking at how, FFB works in AMS2, he realized it has nothing in commun with PC2 FFB.
That's the point. you don't know so you should not be on forums talking :poop:

Hock.png

This the first DLC to be released for Automobilista 2, and it is FREE to all current AMS2 owners and for those who purchase AMS2 over the weekend (July 24-25-26 2020) - by July 27th the Hockenheimring Pack will be sold as an independent DLC to AMS2, and also as part of the 2020-2021 Season Pass.

A winner in my book!

Pretty certain Reiza have confirmed they done a lot of work on the FFB, but I've not read that they've rewritten any physics code. They can adjust the numbers of course, but that's not actually changing the underlying engine code.

Pretty certain Reiza have confirmed they done a lot of work on the FFB, but I've not read that they've rewritten any physics code. They can adjust the numbers of course, but that's not actually changing the underlying engine code.

Renato said;

"a) We use the whole of Madness engine - Graphics, Audio, Physics, AI, multiplayer. We have however rewritten most of the FFB code;

b) A good part of the physics engine codebase overlap with our previous version so a lot of our old physics models carry over to the new engine;

c) We chose to go with the Madness engine because we think it´s brilliant and suits us perfectly; we rewrote the FFB code and other minor bits of the code because we wanted those bits to work differently.

d) You cannot gauge the results of our physics and FFB on the Madness engine by other sims running the Madness engine, just as you couldn´t gauge the physics and FFB of AMS1 by other games running the pMotor physics.

I understand people get confused by where the physics engine ends and where the physics being fed into that engine begins, and how the FFB fits in between - if you´re not versed on these things it´s easy to conflate them "

Last edited:
Renato said;

"a) We use the whole of Madness engine - Graphics, Audio, Physics, AI, multiplayer. We have however rewritten most of the FFB code;

b) A good part of the physics engine codebase overlap with our previous version so a lot of our old physics models carry over to the new engine;

c) We chose to go with the Madness engine because we think it´s brilliant and suits us perfectly; we rewrote the FFB code and other minor bits of the code because we wanted those bits to work differently.

d) You cannot gauge the results of our physics and FFB on the Madness engine by other sims running the Madness engine, just as you couldn´t gauge the physics and FFB of AMS1 by other games running the pMotor physics.

I understand people get confused by where the physics engine ends and where the physics being fed into that engine begins, and how the FFB fits in between - if you´re not versed on these things it´s easy to conflate them "

That's the post I was thinking about, confirming the FFB work, but only "minor" rewrites elsewhere, that doesn't mean the physics are "very different" from Pcars as you put it earlier. But I would love to know what areas have been changed...ah I miss WMD, such an interesting time.

That's the post I was thinking about, confirming the FFB work, but only "minor" rewrites elsewhere, that doesn't mean the physics are "very different" from Pcars as you put it earlier. But I would love to know what areas have been changed...ah I miss WMD, such an interesting time.

I agree, but this was from February, since that we have had the delays, probably a lot more rewrites than anticipated then. But it is just an educated guess, how much rewrite I don’t know and I could be way off base, agreed. I wish @Renato Simioni would shed some light on the subject.

Finally set my wheel up again for a bimble (first time since sept 2018 :O (had nerve damage in neck) then got a new PC and had problems connecting things up).....Had a blap in one of those little ARC doobries and jeez twitchy little fecks arn't they?!! Are they really this awkward or am I just crap!!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 326 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 459 39.3%