Automobilista 2 | Further AI Tweaks In Build 0.9.6.0 Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have released a brand new update for Automobilista 2, adding a few key improvements to the title, especially around the AI and Force Feedback within this rapidly developing sim racing title.

Automobilista V0.9.6.0 Update Notes:

UI & HUD

• Reinstated time acceleration for Single Player events
FORCE FEEDBACK
  • Revised code to fix (or at least mitigate) issues with FFB causing wheel to pull hard right or left in some circunstances
  • Increased input rates to 500Hz and limited FFB rate to 360Hz to minimise potential issues with asynchronous rates
  • Further fine-tuned all car-specific max force, filters & smoothing levels to suit final FFB system and latest tyre physics developments
PHYSICS
  • Fixed stalled player engine in rolling starts and in some cases when switching from AI control (still needs multiplayer testing)
  • Minor tread adjustments for F-Vintage, Trucks, GT, SuperV8, prototype & road tyres
  • Reduced default brake pressure to 90% (same as AMS1 - setting remains adjustable from car setup for player preferences)
  • Slightly increased optimum brake temperature ranges for both steel & carbon brakes
  • Reduced contact factor in open wheelers (further minimising extreme reactions in wheel-to-wheel collisions)
  • Reduced incremental lift with radiator opening setting
  • MRX: Fixed wrong brake fade ranges in all variants
  • Ultima GTR: Fixed rear brake cooling on Road version
  • F-Vintage: Adjusted default differential settings for better driveability
AI
  • Added new Opponent AI Strength logic
  • Clamped opponent AI Strength range to 70-120%
  • Added customized parameter per car for AI brake application
  • Further reduced AI throttle application gap dependingon AI driver skill level
  • Further callibration of AI performance
  • Further reduced AI brake grip in GT / prototypes
TRACKS
  • Jerez: curbs UV2 mapping correction; fixed LOD issues with inner grass; conformed started grid lines to latest road noise & other minor fixes
  • Interlagos: Updated trackside cameras
VEHICLES
  • Toned down dirty layer on rear view mirrors
  • Added suspension animations for all Caterhams, F-Trainers & F-Vintage

Notes from Reiza Studios about the latest update;

his build introduces the new AI Strength logic - now the setting works more similarly to how it did in AMS1, as a more straight-forward AI Grip multiplier, without affecting other aspects of AI performance & behavior, to offer a much wider and more consistent scalar for setting up AI difficulty.

As in AMS1, the AI Strength slider is now restricted to a range of 70-120%, with default setting being 90% and a setting of 100% being equivalent of real world performance. Beware however that the AI in some series may still misbehave at extreme ends of the scale, and that that the new system still requires further callibration for consistency from series to series.

Given the relevance of the AI Strength development to making game more adjustable for a wider range of player skills, we´ve decided to roll this on to release already rather than hold it for v1.0.

V0.9.6 also features further physics & FFB fine tuning and a new batch of car suspension animations.

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

Overall, I'm very happy with the update, excellent stuff. Some cars are basically perfect (Caterham Superlight, for example!) and are worth the ticket price alone.

I still feel that certain cars are a bit off though; the Stock Car is fun, but it feels like it's steering from the middle. And the F3 is almost there, but the car feels a bit disconnected graphically from the FFB.. hard to explain, but it doesn't look like it's turning, although it feels like it.

I think the braking is much improved and the instant lock-ups are now gone. I perhaps miss some braking "feel", but on the whole, I think it's pretty good.

The AI are, IMHO, excellent. Getting some very good racing from them. By and large they're a bit too quick for me at 100% right now, but that's OK.

Performance is generally excellent on my 1080Ti, i7 although I get the very occasional stutter that lasts long enough to put you in the wall, so I'm glad I'm only playing single player now (unless it;s the AI that's causing it of course?).

All in all, this is a fantastic sim and the only one getting any attention from me right now, even my beloved ACC. Can't wait for V1.0!

Overall, I'm very happy with the update, excellent stuff. Some cars are basically perfect (Caterham Superlight, for example!) and are worth the ticket price alone.

I still feel that certain cars are a bit off though; the Stock Car is fun, but it feels like it's steering from the middle. And the F3 is almost there, but the car feels a bit disconnected graphically from the FFB.. hard to explain, but it doesn't look like it's turning, although it feels like it.

I think the braking is much improved and the instant lock-ups are now gone. I perhaps miss some braking "feel", but on the whole, I think it's pretty good.

The AI are, IMHO, excellent. Getting some very good racing from them. By and large they're a bit too quick for me at 100% right now, but that's OK.

Performance is generally excellent on my 1080Ti, i7 although I get the very occasional stutter that lasts long enough to put you in the wall, so I'm glad I'm only playing single player now (unless it;s the AI that's causing it of course?).

All in all, this is a fantastic sim and the only one getting any attention from me right now, even my beloved ACC. Can't wait for V1.0!

Do you have a solid reproducer for these stutters? Any particular track or environment / AI settings which will trigger this for sure?

We are not talking about iceRacing here - right?

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Conserning AMS2 replays then at least on my PC I agree they looks a bit meh meh compared against Raceroom - but they dont look awfull.;)

Seriously, currently you cant race on wet!!! For example with Formula V10 at Monaco, it is impossible to stop the car drifting if you are trying to keep up with the pack. Even if you go slower it is just stupid.

Replays are awfull compared to any game release in the past 10 years!

Apart from that, the game is just awesome!!

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm starting to be a bit concerned about the AI. For all the patch notes claiming advances and improvements, I'm just not seeing it in-game.

The AI still doesn't give a rat's behind whether there is anybody alongside on the approach to corners. They'll happily pit manoeuvre both you and each other to get to the apex, or just slam you off the track. They still weave about when side-by-side in an unnatural manner too. They're also still useless in a pack regardless of aggression setting. You can literally drive around the outside of five cars on a slow corner, or out-brake 2-3 cars on the approach to a chicane.

Their overall speed is also still an issue. Someone of my mediocre abilities should not be able to challenge the AI for pole or the race lead when they're set to 120. They must present anyone faster than me with zero challenge.

Here's hoping they find the magic solution before v1.0.
Looks like we're having different results, or i suck way too much but i had a hard time keeping with them at 100, like i would have to push really hard. Mayb its a track/car combo issue? what are you racing?

Seriously, currently you cant race on wet!!!

Other people seem to be managing in the wet ok. Have you bothered to check other car classes, or did you just try the V10 and decide the entire concept of rain must be broken? I ask because grip levels in the wet do vary a lot between cars, so just because one isn't great right now, it doesn't mean they're all bad.

Also, the replays look fine to me. Cameras aren't the best, but the game is still EARLY ACCESS, not RELEASED, so replay cameras are very likely not at the top of the Reiza to-do list right now. Unsurprisingly.

Looks like we're having different results, or i suck way too much but i had a hard time keeping with them at 100, like i would have to push really hard. Mayb its a track/car combo issue? what are you racing?
Well, in pretty much any Formula the AI seems to be incredibly slow. A 1-2 second gap in lap time between myself and them isn't unusual. In the P3 Roco at 120 their lap times were pretty much bang on mine, which is again wrong because I know my own level... I'm not an alien. In the Sprintrace it seemed to vary a bit more based on track. So yeah, I haven't tried every car and track, but I tried enough to be unsatisfied with AI as it currently stands.

What class were you driving? I'll give it a try myself tomorrow and see how I get on.

I really enjoy this title, but they need to add more cars. If they could acquire licenses, it's a game changer. I understand licensing is expensive, but if they want longevity, the devs need to step that one component up.

I really enjoy this title, but they need to add more cars. If they could acquire licenses, it's a game changer. I understand licensing is expensive, but if they want longevity, the devs need to step that one component up.
more cars and more tracks, like the ones we have in every single sim already?
the strong point of ams is having cars and tracks no other sim has.
look at ams1, mods apart it had even less cars and tracks than ams2 but it is still played to this day.

Seriously, currently you cant race on wet!!! For example with Formula V10 at Monaco, it is impossible to stop the car drifting if you are trying to keep up with the pack. Even if you go slower it is just stupid.

Conserning the driving in wet physics I hope its obvious that Im not overly interested.
Sorry. :thumbsup:
But I also guess that even people who mandatory criticise any racing game who dont have both full day/night transistion and rain and hurricane simulation does never (or extremely seldom) use these possibilities.:p

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Conserning your expression about replays in AMS2 I think you are exaggerating so much that your oppinion become partly worthless.:thumbsup:

Yest another update just deployed a few mins ago.

V0.9.6.1 CHANGELOG

UI & HUD

• Added "Speed Sensitivity" and "Minimum Shift Time" configurations to Controller options
  • Minor UI label fixes

PHYSICS
  • Revised yaw sensitivity for aero elements in all high downforce cars
  • Adjusted steel brake heating build-up
  • Revised slick & road tyres tread performances on wet track
  • Minor tyre tread adjustments for Super V8, F-V12 & F-Classic Gen3
  • Revised rear wing efficiency for F-Classics, F-V12, F-Reiza, F-Ultimate, F301 & F309
  • Various minor default setup adjustments
  • Slightly increased FFB tyre scrub effect for all cars (through FX slider)
  • Slightly Increased bump noise from curbs
  • Minor fine-tuning of car-specific FFB values
  • Fixed excessive front brake cooling in Caterhams
  • Revised engine output for F-Vintages (V8 & V12)

TRACKS
  • Minor revisions to various climate lighting & fog values values
AI
  • Increased the range of AI performance at both ends of the scale (slower @ 70%, faster @ 120% relative to v0.9.6.0)
  • Further revised AI throttle application gaps for GTs & formula cars
  • Increased AI side buffer distance (helps preventing AI cars merging back to the racing line too soon)
  • Increased Field speed perception, reduced length ahead factored (slightly less slowdowns in packs)
  • Reduced minimal lateral distance for defensive moves
  • Increased AI lateral rate of movement when calm
  • Further reduced AI brake power in GT / prototypes
  • Further increased AI care with human players
AUDIO
  • Fixing Super V8 AI Interior Engine sound position

VEHICLES
  • Fixed missing F-Reiza rain lights
  • Further adjusted brake glow ranges

Conserning the driving in wet physics I hope its obvious that Im not overly interested.
Sorry. :thumbsup:
But I also guess that even people who mandatory criticise any racing game who dont have both full day/night transistion and rain and hurricane simulation does never (or extremely seldom) use these possibilities.:p

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Conserning your expression about replays in AMS2 I think you are exaggerating so much that your oppinion become partly worthless.:thumbsup:

Worthless oppinion?!

Last Reiza update:
"Revised slick & road tyres tread performances on wet track"

Every update just makes fun of you

Increased the range of AI performance at both ends of the scale (slower @ 70%, faster @ 120% relative to v0.9.6.0)
I'm still 2+ seconds faster than the AI at 120 in the two Formula cars I tried at multiple tracks. For reference, I'm roughly 2-3 seconds slower than most leaderboard records in these cars.

Increased AI side buffer distance (helps preventing AI cars merging back to the racing line too soon)

Further increased AI care with human players
Rammed four times in one braking zone when totally alongside an AI on a warmup lap in practice alone. Then in the race I was promptly pit manoeuvred by an AI when I was on the racing line and slightly ahead going into a bend. This is the only race I tried because I'm now tired of wasting my time in practice/qualy only for my race to end like this nearly every time.

The wait goes on. :poop:

AI does seems sporadic still. Some tracks and cars are better than others, as many have said. Their qualifying pace still will be 1-2 seconds off of their race pace. I am sure it will keep getting better. Not too worried about it, but with online being a barren wasteland at the moment, hard to have a good race in the evenings in the US.

As for the wet, it seems pretty realistic to me. I have run several races in the wet with a few cars and it feels pretty close to when I used to race IRL in the rain. Even had a race in the P3 the other day online that had variable weather and it started raining on lap 2 pretty hard. I decided to try and stay out to make up some positions after getting punted. Managed to gingerly make my way around until the rain stopped and the dry line came back. Was a lot of fun.

I am more concerned with the class balance at this point. I would love to run a server with just the P3 or P4 classes, but only one car in each is really viable as they are a second or two faster than the others. I have faith it will all be addressed in time.

ffb improved a lot with that hotfix.
anyway, just tried a 30min multiclass race with 4 weather slots, 2 dry and 2 wet.
so midway through the race, rain begin and I stopped to change tyres to wet, all good if I wasn't the only one in my class to make the pit. only the cars of the fastest class - p1 - actually made the pit to change tyres.
what a joke.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 121 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing