Automobilista 2 | Further AI Tweaks In Build 0.9.6.0 Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have released a brand new update for Automobilista 2, adding a few key improvements to the title, especially around the AI and Force Feedback within this rapidly developing sim racing title.

Automobilista V0.9.6.0 Update Notes:

UI & HUD

• Reinstated time acceleration for Single Player events
FORCE FEEDBACK
  • Revised code to fix (or at least mitigate) issues with FFB causing wheel to pull hard right or left in some circunstances
  • Increased input rates to 500Hz and limited FFB rate to 360Hz to minimise potential issues with asynchronous rates
  • Further fine-tuned all car-specific max force, filters & smoothing levels to suit final FFB system and latest tyre physics developments
PHYSICS
  • Fixed stalled player engine in rolling starts and in some cases when switching from AI control (still needs multiplayer testing)
  • Minor tread adjustments for F-Vintage, Trucks, GT, SuperV8, prototype & road tyres
  • Reduced default brake pressure to 90% (same as AMS1 - setting remains adjustable from car setup for player preferences)
  • Slightly increased optimum brake temperature ranges for both steel & carbon brakes
  • Reduced contact factor in open wheelers (further minimising extreme reactions in wheel-to-wheel collisions)
  • Reduced incremental lift with radiator opening setting
  • MRX: Fixed wrong brake fade ranges in all variants
  • Ultima GTR: Fixed rear brake cooling on Road version
  • F-Vintage: Adjusted default differential settings for better driveability
AI
  • Added new Opponent AI Strength logic
  • Clamped opponent AI Strength range to 70-120%
  • Added customized parameter per car for AI brake application
  • Further reduced AI throttle application gap dependingon AI driver skill level
  • Further callibration of AI performance
  • Further reduced AI brake grip in GT / prototypes
TRACKS
  • Jerez: curbs UV2 mapping correction; fixed LOD issues with inner grass; conformed started grid lines to latest road noise & other minor fixes
  • Interlagos: Updated trackside cameras
VEHICLES
  • Toned down dirty layer on rear view mirrors
  • Added suspension animations for all Caterhams, F-Trainers & F-Vintage

Notes from Reiza Studios about the latest update;

his build introduces the new AI Strength logic - now the setting works more similarly to how it did in AMS1, as a more straight-forward AI Grip multiplier, without affecting other aspects of AI performance & behavior, to offer a much wider and more consistent scalar for setting up AI difficulty.

As in AMS1, the AI Strength slider is now restricted to a range of 70-120%, with default setting being 90% and a setting of 100% being equivalent of real world performance. Beware however that the AI in some series may still misbehave at extreme ends of the scale, and that that the new system still requires further callibration for consistency from series to series.

Given the relevance of the AI Strength development to making game more adjustable for a wider range of player skills, we´ve decided to roll this on to release already rather than hold it for v1.0.

V0.9.6 also features further physics & FFB fine tuning and a new batch of car suspension animations.

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

FFB:
As a g27 user, i like the overall sensation but the updates don't really bring something new for g27 wheel . Lack or absence of tire scrubs, almost no sensations in corners. The rare moment i really feel that the feedback is here is when i'm running out of track and feel the grass. To be able to feel the road I'm now using bass shakers and it's working perfectly.
Yes I concur with this. I really want to like the karts but the FFB is really lacking any feel of the track surface leading to a somewhat dull experience. The AI is much improved as they don't rocket away from you in the straights leading to much closer racing.

I played Super V8s at Brands last night in a dry/wet/dry race and some of the AI drivers were on crack or something. The 'aggression' was stupid, it was like playing a griefer on Forza, literally weaving all over the track and ramming me side by side. One couldn't hold a line at all between corners, maybe it was some AI attempt at cooling done tyres if the were on wets?

I must admit, I was a lot happier with the FFB in earlier releases, now having problems with when pulling forcefully left to right at times. FFB also inconsistent. Sometimes its smooth, and when you go out on the track again, the left or right pulling on the steering wheel starts.
Brake also feel pretty lifeless - but I have not tried the latest release yet.
Otherwise, compliments to Reiza for a great game and tireless efforts to improve all the time.

Which wheel do you use? Is there any pattern to when the FFB pulls left/right? Is it primarily in the pits? After car resets? Particular to a specific car? Particular to a specific track?

This has been in focus inside Reiza as of late AIUI, so the more info you can provide for reproducing it, the better?

I have a fanatec clubsport wheel v1 and two wheels, f1 and bmw. I always play with my f1 wheel but today decided to try the bmw.
What a huge difference the diameter plays on your feelings. I used to have set gain to 75 but with the bmw wheel I have set it to 85 and still the ffb is minnimal. I am just curius all those who claim that there is no feeling could that be a major factor?

Try the custom ffb profiles, feels great on my G29.
Im loving the latest custom ffb on on official forums, specifically the Gunboat Diplomat one from NuScorpii.
Ingame ffb settings 80/50/50 for now but continue to test.

the only thing I got was 3 people responding to my post with "disagree"
yeah, i also got a bunch of dislikes for saying that fake liveries are terrible and immersion breaking.
Yet folks there preferred fake over real in case the real ones arent from the exact same series.

with your wheel, i mean thats the curse if you go with something so expensive, they will not be many people who can have an proper opinion or help you out. my guess would be to just adress it on the forum and hope for them to get it done, since you said it was fine before, might be an easy fix.

they always address alot in their updates.
i now wait for 1.0 unless friends wanna do online racing.

The AI is much improved, a few cars/tracks combo I could not race previously are now quite enjoyable. A great step in the right direction. For FFB I have been using a custom file for a while now, once tailored to my own preference, the result is a FFB as good as any other. To me Reiza made the right choice, they brought a SIM driving experience to the SMS engine and now with the convenience of the SMS UI, the beautiful VR graphic, weather, day/night, we have a very potent SIM package to enjoy.
At the dawn of the game release, the future looks bright for the young title.

If you find a good FFB custom profile for your wheelbase.. post it up here as well please :)

Not had many complaints with the FFB with my DD1, Took a little tweaking in Fanalab but that was it, and the improvements over the updates have only made it better. FFB in a sense is like music we all have different tastes. And it's great they have provided the ability to really customize it.

I have a fanatec clubsport wheel v1 and two wheels, f1 and bmw. I always play with my f1 wheel but today decided to try the bmw.
What a huge difference the diameter plays on your feelings. I used to have set gain to 75 but with the bmw wheel I have set it to 85 and still the ffb is minnimal. I am just curius all those who claim that there is no feeling could that be a major factor?

The diameter and above all the weight play a major role. I'm driving with a 350mm Momo Mod 78 on a Thrustmaster T500 base and have to use 100 gain and pretty much low force boost.

Did a 45-minute P1-P4 multiclass race at Guapore to test AI. I was in a P4, MCR2000. Blue flag comes out a little too early (in my opinion) which causes AI to slow down too much. Mainly matters when you're behind a slightly faster class car or two, you can use the AI's ignorance to slip through just ahead of the P1 cars.

The only other negative I noticed was when cars contact, the AI response is still fairly abrupt/twitchy. They move aside more than a half car width.

It might have been luck of the draw, but, with the default setup, I'm significantly faster than the other P4s at 100%. No big deal because I'm usually 103-106%, so as long as I'm still in that range, all is well. Will check with a P4-only race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 314 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 212 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%