Automobilista 2 | Further AI Tweaks In Build 0.9.6.0 Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have released a brand new update for Automobilista 2, adding a few key improvements to the title, especially around the AI and Force Feedback within this rapidly developing sim racing title.

Automobilista V0.9.6.0 Update Notes:

UI & HUD

• Reinstated time acceleration for Single Player events
FORCE FEEDBACK
  • Revised code to fix (or at least mitigate) issues with FFB causing wheel to pull hard right or left in some circunstances
  • Increased input rates to 500Hz and limited FFB rate to 360Hz to minimise potential issues with asynchronous rates
  • Further fine-tuned all car-specific max force, filters & smoothing levels to suit final FFB system and latest tyre physics developments
PHYSICS
  • Fixed stalled player engine in rolling starts and in some cases when switching from AI control (still needs multiplayer testing)
  • Minor tread adjustments for F-Vintage, Trucks, GT, SuperV8, prototype & road tyres
  • Reduced default brake pressure to 90% (same as AMS1 - setting remains adjustable from car setup for player preferences)
  • Slightly increased optimum brake temperature ranges for both steel & carbon brakes
  • Reduced contact factor in open wheelers (further minimising extreme reactions in wheel-to-wheel collisions)
  • Reduced incremental lift with radiator opening setting
  • MRX: Fixed wrong brake fade ranges in all variants
  • Ultima GTR: Fixed rear brake cooling on Road version
  • F-Vintage: Adjusted default differential settings for better driveability
AI
  • Added new Opponent AI Strength logic
  • Clamped opponent AI Strength range to 70-120%
  • Added customized parameter per car for AI brake application
  • Further reduced AI throttle application gap dependingon AI driver skill level
  • Further callibration of AI performance
  • Further reduced AI brake grip in GT / prototypes
TRACKS
  • Jerez: curbs UV2 mapping correction; fixed LOD issues with inner grass; conformed started grid lines to latest road noise & other minor fixes
  • Interlagos: Updated trackside cameras
VEHICLES
  • Toned down dirty layer on rear view mirrors
  • Added suspension animations for all Caterhams, F-Trainers & F-Vintage

Notes from Reiza Studios about the latest update;

his build introduces the new AI Strength logic - now the setting works more similarly to how it did in AMS1, as a more straight-forward AI Grip multiplier, without affecting other aspects of AI performance & behavior, to offer a much wider and more consistent scalar for setting up AI difficulty.

As in AMS1, the AI Strength slider is now restricted to a range of 70-120%, with default setting being 90% and a setting of 100% being equivalent of real world performance. Beware however that the AI in some series may still misbehave at extreme ends of the scale, and that that the new system still requires further callibration for consistency from series to series.

Given the relevance of the AI Strength development to making game more adjustable for a wider range of player skills, we´ve decided to roll this on to release already rather than hold it for v1.0.

V0.9.6 also features further physics & FFB fine tuning and a new batch of car suspension animations.

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

It had to happen. Pretty much been happy with overall FFB progress through all the releases. See they are calling it almost complete in previous release.. figured I have been lucky enough to have missed the "hate the FFB" bullet..... Load up this latest one.. and for me, its taken a HUGE step backwards in terms of Default FFB feel. It just feels very rubbery on the default.

Let the tuning begin I guess. Fingers crossed something exists that brings back the previous releases general feel.

Stay tuned for the "Oh, something weird happened, it now feels fine again" which tends to happen directly after posting such things :)

Edit1: And to add insult to injury, my caterham seems to lack the ability to brake!

Edit2: OK, reverted to "Liberate" Custom FFB file, tweaked and tuned sliders. I am back to generally happy camper. Didn't remember the Caterham brakes being that bad when cold. Upped pressure back to 100% and seems somewhat back to normal once brakes have warmed up. Maybe my long sessions of "Snowrunner" with my wheel (with no FFB) have played havoc with my muscle memory :whistling: .

Last edited:
It's great to see the constant weekly updates and communication from the devs. I am still finding that the AI is still a little jittery and being able to pull off a full lane change as if it capable of warping. understandable that the AI will be something that will constantly be worked and tweaked long after 1.0 with them being on a new engine they are still probable learning. If they can get it on par with how the AI was in AMS I'd be over the moon as I still think the first AMS has some of the best AI in sim-racing, being able to go full battle door to door kept me away from other sim titles and online events.

I just finished playing some sessions and I have to say that there was a great improvement in the AI comparing to the v0.9.3.2 (last version I played) but as @Jules Porter said, there will probably be tweaks in the AI after the v1.0 and hopefully they will be able to achieve what they did in the first AMS.
The only problem that I've had during the entire EA is the fact that I cannot turn the camera to the right or left in the Cockpit, only works in the external view. Are there any fixes for this?

Last edited:
" Given the relevance of the AI Strength development to making game more adjustable for a wider range of player skills, "
First of all thank you Reiza for the efforts.
AI:
Just tested and feel that the AI is overall too fast yet like with AMS1. But AMS1 was a hardcore sim, AMS2 seems to target a broader audience so some adjustments may be needed to align it with the other sims. IMHO Reiza should not copy the AI logic from AMS 1 but try to calibrate the AI strength by analyzing RF2 or/and RRRE or/and ACC AI levels lap time and aggressivity. Using Reiza RF2 pack or using any kind of car performance projection. Personally being able to race with lot of track action at AI level between 90-100 in the other sims, with Automobilista 2 I'm always +10 secs behind the first cars with the lowest AI (here 70).I'm not really racing, I'm just participating lol. Also for example with the puma P052 @ Interlagos @ AI 70 the cars move like a train, it's like each one has a lap time to achieve and they do nothing but that, no overtaking, no accidents etc...The other day i've noticed that the F-U slowest AI leaders have the same laptime than Charles Leclerc and Co @ Interlagos...no exactly the same formula cars nor the game but you know what i mean.If the player is not a fan of hotlapping, this AI issue may be a problem for the game in the future...

FFB:
As a g27 user, i like the overall sensation but the updates don't really bring something new for g27 wheel . Lack or absence of tire scrubs, almost no sensations in corners. The rare moment i really feel that the feedback is here is when i'm running out of track and feel the grass. To be able to feel the road I'm now using bass shakers and it's working perfectly.

Last edited:
It had to happen. Pretty much been happy with overall FFB progress through all the releases. See they are calling it almost complete in previous release.. figured I have been lucky enough to have missed the "hate the FFB" bullet..... Load up this latest one.. and for me, its taken a HUGE step backwards in terms of Default FFB feel. It just feels very rubbery on the default.

Let the tuning begin I guess. Fingers crossed something exists that brings back the previous releases general feel.

Stay tuned for the "Oh, something weird happened, it now feels fine again" which tends to happen directly after posting such things :)

Edit1: And to add insult to injury, my caterham seems to lack the ability to brake!

Edit2: OK, reverted to "Liberate" Custom FFB file, tweaked and tuned sliders. I am back to generally happy camper. Didn't remember the Caterham brakes being that bad when cold. Upped pressure back to 100% and seems somewhat back to normal once brakes have warmed up. Maybe my long sessions of "Snowrunner" with my wheel (with no FFB) have played havoc with my muscle memory :whistling: .
It's not the brakes mate it's your older setup files for the car that are corrupted. Reset car setup do not use older setups even you tweaked only the fuel load for example.

I must admit, I was a lot happier with the FFB in earlier releases, now having problems with when pulling forcefully left to right at times. FFB also inconsistent. Sometimes its smooth, and when you go out on the track again, the left or right pulling on the steering wheel starts.
Brake also feel pretty lifeless - but I have not tried the latest release yet.
Otherwise, compliments to Reiza for a great game and tireless efforts to improve all the time.

I enjoy the FFB and the physics of AMS 2. Only thing I kind of don't like ( maybe it's down to tweaks ) is that I don't feel curbs at all on my Fanatec CSL Elite PS4. This is one of the things I really like in rFactor 2 and it's force feed back.

Has anyone gotten to get some vibration when tires are hitting the curbs?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%