Automobilista 2 | Further AI Tweaks In Build 0.9.6.0 Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have released a brand new update for Automobilista 2, adding a few key improvements to the title, especially around the AI and Force Feedback within this rapidly developing sim racing title.

Automobilista V0.9.6.0 Update Notes:

UI & HUD

• Reinstated time acceleration for Single Player events
FORCE FEEDBACK
  • Revised code to fix (or at least mitigate) issues with FFB causing wheel to pull hard right or left in some circunstances
  • Increased input rates to 500Hz and limited FFB rate to 360Hz to minimise potential issues with asynchronous rates
  • Further fine-tuned all car-specific max force, filters & smoothing levels to suit final FFB system and latest tyre physics developments
PHYSICS
  • Fixed stalled player engine in rolling starts and in some cases when switching from AI control (still needs multiplayer testing)
  • Minor tread adjustments for F-Vintage, Trucks, GT, SuperV8, prototype & road tyres
  • Reduced default brake pressure to 90% (same as AMS1 - setting remains adjustable from car setup for player preferences)
  • Slightly increased optimum brake temperature ranges for both steel & carbon brakes
  • Reduced contact factor in open wheelers (further minimising extreme reactions in wheel-to-wheel collisions)
  • Reduced incremental lift with radiator opening setting
  • MRX: Fixed wrong brake fade ranges in all variants
  • Ultima GTR: Fixed rear brake cooling on Road version
  • F-Vintage: Adjusted default differential settings for better driveability
AI
  • Added new Opponent AI Strength logic
  • Clamped opponent AI Strength range to 70-120%
  • Added customized parameter per car for AI brake application
  • Further reduced AI throttle application gap dependingon AI driver skill level
  • Further callibration of AI performance
  • Further reduced AI brake grip in GT / prototypes
TRACKS
  • Jerez: curbs UV2 mapping correction; fixed LOD issues with inner grass; conformed started grid lines to latest road noise & other minor fixes
  • Interlagos: Updated trackside cameras
VEHICLES
  • Toned down dirty layer on rear view mirrors
  • Added suspension animations for all Caterhams, F-Trainers & F-Vintage

Notes from Reiza Studios about the latest update;

his build introduces the new AI Strength logic - now the setting works more similarly to how it did in AMS1, as a more straight-forward AI Grip multiplier, without affecting other aspects of AI performance & behavior, to offer a much wider and more consistent scalar for setting up AI difficulty.

As in AMS1, the AI Strength slider is now restricted to a range of 70-120%, with default setting being 90% and a setting of 100% being equivalent of real world performance. Beware however that the AI in some series may still misbehave at extreme ends of the scale, and that that the new system still requires further callibration for consistency from series to series.

Given the relevance of the AI Strength development to making game more adjustable for a wider range of player skills, we´ve decided to roll this on to release already rather than hold it for v1.0.

V0.9.6 also features further physics & FFB fine tuning and a new batch of car suspension animations.

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

The only problem that I've had during the entire EA is the fact that I cannot turn the camera to the right or left in the Cockpit, only works in the external view. Are there any fixes for this?
You can only look left-right in cockpit view, not in dash or helmet. Guess that could be your issue?

This update was good enough to finally push me into uninstalling rF2.
Too many sims, not enough time, just going to focus energy on the ones that deliver a total package experience - which is what it's all about. Down to 3 now: AMS2, ACC, and DR2. Covers all the bases, along with what ACC and AMS2 have planned to release.

After deleting 200gb of AC/rF2 cars/tracks, I'm over mods now.
Some great ones, but too much time spent maintaining them when you could be racing.

Last edited:
This update was good enough to finally push me into uninstalling rF2.
Too many sims, not enough time, just going to focus energy on the ones that deliver a total package experience - which is what it's all about. Down to 3 now: AMS2, ACC, and DR2. Covers all the bases, along with what ACC and AMS2 have planned to release.

After deleting 200gb of AC/rF2 cars/tracks, I'm over mods now.
Some great ones, but too much time spent maintaining them when you could be racing.

I do agree. While mods are awesome, the time spent maintaining it is quite a fair bit of time investment.

rfactor is alright, most mods are from workshop or I am missing out the fun stuff. However, I find that I am enjoying it less. The AI seemed to get worse every patch where now I have to turn off safety cars. Or I am permanently in behind a safety car for a large part of the race. The AI cant handle multiclass well.

AMS2 is getting better but their multiclass still kinda sucked. The grid is too small.

Thanks for the assumption. Only use default setups anyway. Reset setup as precaution prior to posting. So I guess it wasn't my older setups MATE!
Perhaps try and redo the pedals calibration. I had to do this a couple of times as the first time a did it the moment I touched the pedal it was registered at maximum value.

Reading through the comments...man this looks more and more like PCars2 with all it's issues still there. When this was PCars 2 that had those issues you were all like "screw this i'm done with this stupid simcade". Now despite having the same exact issues you're like "man this is getting better and better!" I mean.....whatever. I'm laughing my @ss of right now. I know....i just kicked a Giant Fanboy Hornet's nest but this is so funny.

Reading through the comments...man this looks more and more like PCars2 with all it's issues still there. When this was PCars 2 that had those issues you were all like "screw this i'm done with this stupid simcade". Now despite having the same exact issues you're like "man this is getting better and better!" I mean.....whatever. I'm laughing my @ss of right now. I know....i just kicked a Giant Fanboy Hornet's nest but this is so funny.

So you are basing your opinion on comments made by others? Have you tried the game?

This is not true at all. Automobilista 2 feels nothing like Project Cars. I hated PC2 but love AMS2. The physics are great and the tire model and FFB are on par with rF2 or AMS 1. Don't forget it's still in early access.

What are you talking about :roflmao: :roflmao:

plainly your reading comprehension skills need some work if that's all you got out of it all.

plainly your reading comprehension skills need some work if that's all you got out of it all.
I like you Bazza. You often say exactly what I think, so that I don't have to. :D

If someone reads three pages of comments and picks up on the one or two that even mention PCars at all, then to me it suggests they were predisposed to a certain view already and just wanted "confirmation", no matter how weak that confirmation may be.

To be honest, I'm starting to be a bit concerned about the AI. For all the patch notes claiming advances and improvements, I'm just not seeing it in-game.

The AI still doesn't give a rat's behind whether there is anybody alongside on the approach to corners. They'll happily pit manoeuvre both you and each other to get to the apex, or just slam you off the track. They still weave about when side-by-side in an unnatural manner too. They're also still useless in a pack regardless of aggression setting. You can literally drive around the outside of five cars on a slow corner, or out-brake 2-3 cars on the approach to a chicane.

Their overall speed is also still an issue. Someone of my mediocre abilities should not be able to challenge the AI for pole or the race lead when they're set to 120. They must present anyone faster than me with zero challenge.

Here's hoping they find the magic solution before v1.0.

giphy.gif

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back