Automobilista 2 | First Post Version 1 Patch Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios can never be accused of being slow out the blocks, and again the Brazilian team have been quick to address some post update issues with their first V1 release of AMS 2 - Patch 1 is now live.

Deployed quickly following yesterday's full V1 release update, the new hot fix update is a minor initial reaction to some of the key issues that have arisen since the simulation moved out of Steam Early Access status.

V1.0.0.1 Update Notes:
  • Fixed loading screen crash when joining in-progress multiplayer sessions.
  • Adjusted FFB clipping, aero & default steering ratio for Stock 2020 & corrected minor wheelbase/track width discrepancies.
  • Adjusted Ginetta G55 & G58 max FFB force to reduce clipping.
  • Bumped up SuperV8 engine output slightly to bring it closer to latest engine specs
  • Bathurst: Updated road & trackside ads textures, fixed triangulation glitch in the main road at the pitwall area.
  • Added missing Cascais loading screen.
  • Fix DRS trackside board issues at Interlagos, Kansai, Spielberg.
  • Corrected windshield water wiping animation for the Ultima GTR Road version.

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

Want help getting the best out of the simulation? Start a thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let the community help you out!

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

Dropped $140 CDN on it as this is more or less pCars 3 and I'm hoping for the SRS scene to take off.

First impressions haven't been very good and once again I have bought a sim that might take months, even years to feel like I got my money's worth out of it, and that I will only boot to drive certain cars on certain tracks.

The physics are not a revolution. I couldn't really tell the difference between this and AMS 1 and pCars 2, and of course like all sims, the quality of cars are all over the place. The BR stock cars obviously have had a lot of time spent on them, but stuff like the fake 60's GP cars... just play Assetto Corsa instead. Factor in all the obscure content you'll never in a million years consider driving and your options become very limited.

Lots and lots and lots of UI/polish bugs. Received multiple bugsplats just for deleting replays. Several CTD's. There's a bug that duplicates your replay file every time you load it. A couple of untouched pCars 2 screens, pCars 2 logo and all. Text strings referencing pC2 features, such as the "driver network profile", haven't been changed so the game is constantly referencing a screen not actually present in AMS 2. The length of the race is never listed when you're actually in the session, so you have to write it down on a piece of paper upon joining an online lobby. Text overlaps other text quite frequently. Car thumbnails not lined up. When you enter photo mode, the Shutter Speed defaults to minimum so everything is this giant blur.

The big one though, lots of cut content from AMS 1; Porsche Cup, Stadium Super Trucks, those crazy narrow BR street circuits (Riberaio Preto & Salvador), Speedland, and everything off-road related are just... not here. I also can't seem to find that cool airport course they made for AMS 1. Basically all of the fun stuff that was vanilla content in the first game was cut.

Online netcode was rough. Did a race with some guys from a German discord earlier and in a relatively mundane T1 accident (people were courteous enough to slow down for it) there were still cars popping 15-20 ft into the air after light contact.

20200701142047_1.jpg

Dropped $140 CDN on it as this is more or less pCars 3 and I'm hoping for the SRS scene to take off.

First impressions haven't been very good and once again I have bought a sim that might take months, even years to feel like I got my money's worth out of it, and that I will only boot to drive certain cars on certain tracks.

The physics are not a revolution. I couldn't really tell the difference between this and AMS 1 and pCars 2, and of course like all sims, the quality of cars are all over the place. The BR stock cars obviously have had a lot of time spent on them, but stuff like the fake 60's GP cars... just play Assetto Corsa instead. Factor in all the obscure content you'll never in a million years consider driving and your options become very limited.

Lots and lots and lots of UI/polish bugs. Received multiple bugsplats just for deleting replays. Several CTD's. There's a bug that duplicates your replay file every time you load it. A couple of untouched pCars 2 screens, pCars 2 logo and all. Text strings referencing pC2 features, such as the "driver network profile", haven't been changed so the game is constantly referencing a screen not actually present in AMS 2. The length of the race is never listed when you're actually in the session, so you have to write it down on a piece of paper upon joining an online lobby. Text overlaps other text quite frequently. Car thumbnails not lined up. When you enter photo mode, the Shutter Speed defaults to minimum so everything is this giant blur.

The big one though, lots of cut content from AMS 1; Porsche Cup, Stadium Super Trucks, those crazy narrow BR street circuits (Riberaio Preto & Salvador), Speedland, and everything off-road related are just... not here. I also can't seem to find that cool airport course they made for AMS 1. Basically all of the fun stuff that was vanilla content in the first game was cut.

Online netcode was rough. Did a race with some guys from a German discord earlier and in a relatively mundane T1 accident (people were courteous enough to slow down for it) there were still cars popping 15-20 ft into the air after light contact.

View attachment 385164
I'm not sure your the right person to be reviewing AMS2! Saying you can't feel much difference between this, AMS 1 and pC2! Really! For starters, those older two couldn't feel more different from the driving or visual points of view.

That "obscure content" is some of the content I enjoy the most ;) such a refreshing drive from the standard Spa/Monza/GT3 of every other sim :)

As for the "cut content" from AMS1, most of what u ou mentioned is still to come as either free or paid content as has been layed out by Reiza well in advance.

I'm going to look forward to your glowing review of pC3 though as I'm sure you will have been paid handsomely to say great things about how sim like that will be :o

This is IMO the biggest issue, AMS2 still has, especially when it comes to multiplayer. It even has improved already, but collision detection and distance of collisions is still not fleshed out and can be frustrating. Especially with peer 2 peer this will probably always stay problematic, but i really hope to see some improvements here.

Factor in all the obscure content you'll never in a million years consider driving and your options become very limited.
This is personal preference, though. I'm personally pretty much into all the obscure stuff, because it's a change of pace, for example. That's exactly, why the Automobilista series has its place, IMO.

In driving dynamics, i have to say, it takes many positives, but also some negatives of pCars2 and AMS1 and merges them together. I'm personally pretty fine with that. Because i still like driving both of them and AMS2 often gives me the "walking with own legs" impression while driving...so more driving of the car, instead of driving the physics.

Btw. the 140 CND$ is the price for fanboys like me :D - you shouldn't buy the season pass, if unsure with it. Nobody should, if they want to have the game and choose content later, what could maybe even lead to a better deal.^^ (This was even communicated similar by Reiza in one of their Dev Blogs, afaik.)

Regarding things that will hopefully be fixed in the future:
Evaluated under 1.0 scale, your points are definetly pretty valid, i think, the pCars2 replay saving screen and other quirks were reported already, but not yet on the highest priority list.
That doesn't save from critizism, rightful so, but don't forget, it's not a particular dev, that doesn't listen to critics and userbase. ;)
Also in many departments, it's not that cult (except the usual simracing fanboy stuff), that doesn't allow things to be changed.
I experienced it this way: Partly hyperbolic complaint about physics/driving dynamics -> devs even testing by themselves -> improvements already after 1 day.
(This workflow by Reiza is also the reason for my slight fanboy tendencies :D)

More stuff I've found after a 20 minute Singleplayer race using the next-gen BR stock cars. For the record, 106% AI, 35% aggression is realistic pace.

• There's no driver network profile screen even though it's referenced in the menus. As a result there's no way to change your in-game name, unless you change your STEAM name which is annoying. When racing offline I'd prefer to use my real name since PizzaSubCombo looks incredibly stupid when every other driver on the grid has a real name.
  • In AMS 1 each car had an AI driver file attached to it, so when racing offline Rubens Barrichello would actually be in the car he drives. In AMS 2 it just uses random dev and community member names and randomly assigns them to a car for each race. Another step backwards compared to AMS 1.
  • There are settings for both Spotter and Race Engineer; I have mine set to always. Never heard a peep from either. Are these even in the game? If not, that's the second feature mentioned in the menus that doesn't actually exist (Driver Network Profile being the first).
  • Field of 23 cars at Interlagos, the track never took any rubber. Even in pC2 during shorter races you can see a line start to develop in the more aggressive corners. Never saw that here. Is this in the game?
  • The AI never appeared to use push2pass at all.
  • Someone had an online session up in the rain, never saw any puddles appear. Are these in the game?
  • Are there any Steam achievements?
  • There's no progression elements of any sort other than aimlessly do offline races and maybe join a league I guess.
  • The windshield doesn't accumulate dirt, but the dash apparently does.
Fun little game for $15 but then I look at my CC bill and see three digits and... yikes.

20200701201714_1.jpg

Am I having a brain cramp or did we just get a second update today? I could swear I told Steam to go install 1.0.0.1 earlier today but I just got another 10.4 MB update. My version shows v1.0.0.1.1218.AVX.

At first: Don't forget, that this project will not remain in it's state and the clocks are ticking different with development of this game. (Still not saying, that questioning some things of a 1.0 is wrong, it's even helpful)

There's no driver network profile screen even though it's referenced in the menus. As a result there's no way to change your in-game name, unless you change your STEAM name which is annoying. When racing offline I'd prefer to use my real name since PizzaSubCombo looks incredibly stupid when every other driver on the grid has a real name.
Yes, this is not implemented yet, it's annoying, but likely to be extended. The Madness Engine provides the feature.
In AMS 1 each car had an AI driver file attached to it, so when racing offline Rubens Barrichello would actually be in the car he drives. In AMS 2 it just uses random dev and community member names and randomly assigns them to a car for each race. Another step backwards compared to AMS 1.
This is confirmed to be added later, because it's important for the Championship feature to have something like the talent file system and same driver names. Everything else would be HIGHLY disappointing.
There are settings for both Spotter and Race Engineer; I have mine set to always. Never heard a peep from either. Are these even in the game? If not, that's the second feature mentioned in the menus that doesn't actually exist (Driver Network Profile being the first).
Yeah, this feature is not complete, indeed. But also not unlikely to receive completion. Your engineer definetly does something, when you switch subtitles on, you see it "work".
Field of 23 cars at Interlagos, the track never took any rubber. Even in pC2 during shorter races you can see a line start to develop in the more aggressive corners. Never saw that here. Is this in the game?
This is strange and could be a find. The track should rubber in, because Live Track ist definetly in use. Are laptimes not improving? Maybe it's a graphically thing, the not visible rubbering was an issue in the beta phase.
The AI never appeared to use push2pass at all.
P2P and DRS are basically totally new in implementation, we received it one beta build ago or so...so it's likely to receive improvements over the time.
Someone had an online session up in the rain, never saw any puddles appear. Are these in the game?
Definetly yes. If you are driving in heavy rain, on some oldschool tracks like Ibarra, you will drive through a whole pond in sector 3. If puddles aren't visible, something is either strange or the track is one with better drainage and weather not severe enough.
Are there any Steam achievements?
Nope. (Not yet at least)
There's no progression elements of any sort other than aimlessly do offline races and maybe join a league I guess.
Yes. Championships are also just introduced and communicated as highly WIP.
The windshield doesn't accumulate dirt, but the dash apparently does.
Also pretty new features, with windshield masks and so on. Likely to improve.
Fun little game for $15 but then I look at my CC bill and see three digits and... yikes.
Now YOU do the hyperbolics, man. That's my thing usually :D

That "obscure content" is some of the content I enjoy the most ;) such a refreshing drive from the standard Spa/Monza/GT3 of every other sim :)

That's the main reason I initially bought the game. It includes tracks and cars that can't be found anywhere else. Not all cars interest me, but the 2019-2020 Brazilian stock cars alone are worth the purchase, they're a lot of fun. Also, some of the historic stock cars are a lot of fun.

More stuff I've found after a 20 minute Singleplayer race using the next-gen BR stock cars. For the record, 106% AI, 35% aggression is realistic pace.

• There's no driver network profile screen even though it's referenced in the menus. As a result there's no way to change your in-game name, unless you change your STEAM name which is annoying. When racing offline I'd prefer to use my real name since PizzaSubCombo looks incredibly stupid when every other driver on the grid has a real name.
  • In AMS 1 each car had an AI driver file attached to it, so when racing offline Rubens Barrichello would actually be in the car he drives. In AMS 2 it just uses random dev and community member names and randomly assigns them to a car for each race. Another step backwards compared to AMS 1.
  • There are settings for both Spotter and Race Engineer; I have mine set to always. Never heard a peep from either. Are these even in the game? If not, that's the second feature mentioned in the menus that doesn't actually exist (Driver Network Profile being the first).
  • Field of 23 cars at Interlagos, the track never took any rubber. Even in pC2 during shorter races you can see a line start to develop in the more aggressive corners. Never saw that here. Is this in the game?
  • The AI never appeared to use push2pass at all.
  • Someone had an online session up in the rain, never saw any puddles appear. Are these in the game?
  • Are there any Steam achievements?
  • There's no progression elements of any sort other than aimlessly do offline races and maybe join a league I guess.
  • The windshield doesn't accumulate dirt, but the dash apparently does.

View attachment 385165
I saw that on the dash of those 2020 cars also but didn't realise what it was, lol, in previous builds there was definitely dirt build up on the screen.

The hubris is stunning in its opinionated toxicity.

AMS2 isn't without flaws (duh! ACC on release anyone?) but it's also been communicated very clearly by the devs what state it's in and where it's going.

I can only think of one response:

Last edited:
Yeah, so far it seems static for me, even though the textures do look great.
I have mentioned it in the beta forums, maybe something is strange.
But i have to say, my times were improving right now on Interlagos, i did a sprint weekend with the SC2020 and i went from a 1:38.2 to a 1:37.2 in practice, also braking points became a bit later and the car felt more eager to be tortured... i don't know how much fuel related it is, though. Could be graphically. (over 20 cars on track)

Also puddles are forming up after around 10 minutes of light rain, but it seems, on some more modern tracks it gets drained more. I noticed it on Interlagos, when driving the track, you had to definetly pay attention to the dryer line (on slicks), and puddles are forming on some sectors, but you can get away with much pushing still, without being afraid of aquaplaning.
As soon, as you enter the pitentry, the track is full of puddles everywhere there. Which makes some kind of sense to me.
When you drive something like Ibarra or Jacarepagua, puddles are occuring more often, for example.

Last edited:
"La mort, c'est un peu comme la connerie. Le mort, lui, il ne sait pas qu'il est mort. Ce sont les autres qui sont tristes. Le con, c'est pareil."

Same for games.
English please, it's an international platform. ;)
-----------------

Btw. if someone struggles with the F-Retro, also here the recommendation to stiffen springs and ARB a bit (1-2 clicks), reducing power ramp angle by 5-10° and reducing brake pressure in the setup.

English please, it's an international platform. ;)
-----------------

Btw. if someone struggles with the F-Retro, also here the recommendation to stiffen springs and ARB a bit (1-2 clicks), reducing power ramp angle by 5-10° and reducing brake pressure in the setup.

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others... It is the same when you are stupid..." Belgian comedian Philippe Geluck, 1995

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others... It is the same when you are stupid..." Belgian comedian Philippe Geluck, 1995
2 cents by me, because i feel sometimes annoyed by such things, you are free to skip this post, mate:

So you are using this quote to go ad hominem against points made about a videogame release?

Don't get me wrong. I'm probably that, what someone could call a fanboy, but even i don't see any wrong findings in the list of issues. Just overexaggeration, which could count as stylistic choice...like your quote, which refers to the Dunning Kruger Effect.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back