Automobilista 2 | December Development Roadmap Released

Jugulador

250RPM
Jun 6, 2015
You pay stuff to everybody else uses... mmmmm... think that I saw it already... and didn't "work so fine".

Congrats, Reiza... you turned from a full fledge videogame producer into a circus.

MrBraindown

100RPM
Premium
May 1, 2019
I seem to be playing AMS2 more and more recently. I really didn't like it at first, but the updates have made such a difference (IMO). The excellent VR implementation is a huge factor, but I really do like the more obscure content, plus for some reason I have a real addiction to the Advanced Formula Trainer. It's such a hoot, especially at Imola 1988 where I recently did a 40 lap epic, limping home in 12th. I was buzzing. I need help.

I feel the upcoming GT1 content will keep my head turned from other sims for a little while longer as well.

fireballr18

250RPM
Mar 3, 2018
You pay stuff to everybody else uses... mmmmm... think that I saw it already... and didn't "work so fine".

Congrats, Reiza... you turned from a full fledge videogame producer into a circus.
Yes, that is what I feel. I'm willing to pay for almost every DLC, doesn't matter which sim and I have pretty much all the original content from each sim. But this annoys me.
If I had this as hardcopy, it would find a new owner very soon. 6 month later everything will be for free...

Gordie Gunn

100RPM
Premium
Sep 16, 2017
I'd feel stupid if I paid for the season pass lmao. Also when is anyone gonna point out that almost all content released post early access is just from PC2?
Renato himself, some time ago :rolleyes:
We don’t exactly have direct access to SMS assets and they’re not in any way obligated to supply them to us, but we do have a relationship that allows for reasonable requests :) they have supplied a handful of track models and we have also given them a few of our own in return. With the exception of Azure tho we do model all our tracks and surrounding terrain from scratch, only using some of their trackside objects.

On the car front they have been even more supportive - we have over 50 cars to be added to AMS2 in the coming months and about a third of them are based on models supplied by SMS.. They’ll obviously feature in AMS2 with our sounds and physics but these 3d models give us an invaluable jumpstart, and it’s also a big factor in us being able to release them as free additional content and make that work financially. SMS has also introduced us to several of the licensors these assets relate to, providing a big boost to our own relationships with these brands.

We evidently have been working hard but we have a lot to be grateful for in our relationship with SMS - we’d not be in the position to fulfill these ambitious plans without their support.

Naturally they stand to benefit from whatever success we achieve with AMS2, but I’d hope every sim racer is able to nurture some appreciation for how exceptional it is for a studio of their success to hand their technology and a number of assets to another small studio like ours and let we run with it as we see fit.

FWIW it will certainly be the sim I’ve been dreaming of for many years :p

Renato Simioni

Reiza Studios
Jan 6, 2010
I'd feel stupid if I paid for the season pass lmao. Also when is anyone gonna point out that almost all content released post early access is just from PC2?
Shhh, don´t say that too loud....
You shouldn´t say it out loud because it´s just plain wrong :p For the sake of general information since this is becoming a very common misconception, here´s brief recap of content we have added to the game since the original EA release, their origin and pricing - I´ve bolded content completely or mostly scratch-created by us for AMS2, and detailed in italics the ones that used PCars2 models (I´m deliberately not including AMS1 conversions for the sake of brevity, even tho it´s a large list of content that has also received considerable rework for their AMS2 release):

TRACKS:

Cascais - FREE, Reiza
Kyalami - FREE, Reiza
Bathurst - FREE, Reiza
Silverstone - Part of Silverstone DLC, scratch-made track mesh, uses some PCars2 trackside objects

Silverstone 01 - Part of Silverstone DLC, scratch-made track mesh, uses some PCars2 trackside objects
Silverstone 91 - Part of Silverstone DLC, scratch-made track mesh, uses some PCars2 trackside objects
Silverstone 75 Part of Silverstone DLC, scratch-made track mesh, uses some PCars2 trackside objects

Nurburgring - Part of Nurburgring DLC, extensively reworked Pcars2 mesh, uses mosts PCars2 trackside objects

Spa Francorchamps - Part of Spa DLC, scratch-made mesh, uses some PCars2 trackside objects

CARS:

Roco 001 - FREE, Reiza
Sigma P1 - FREE, Reiza

Ginetta G55 - FREE, PCars2 3D model
Ginetta G58 - FREE, based on PCars2 3D model
Lotus 49C - FREE, PCars2 3D model

Brabham BT26 - FREE, Reiza
Mclaren M23 - FREE, Reiza

Lotus 72E - FREE, based on PCars2 3D model
Brabham BT44 - FREE, Reiza
Stock Car Cruze 2020 - FREE, Reiza
Stock Car Corolla 2020 - FREE, Reiza
F-V10 Gen1 - FREE, Reiza
Mclaren MP4-12 - FREE, Reiza

BMW Procar - FREE, PCars2 3D model
BMW M3 E30 - FREE, PCars2 3D model
Mercedes 190E - FREE, PCars2 3D model

Lotus 23 - FREE, Reiza
Mini Cooper 1965 - FREE, Reiza
Mini JCW UK 2020 - FREE, Reiza

Mercedes AMG GT3 - FREE, PCars2 3D model
Porsche 911 GT3-R - FREE, PCars2 3D model

BMW M6 GT3 - FREE, Reiza
Mclaren 720S GT3 - FREE, Reiza

Porsche Cayman Clubsport GT4 - FREE, PCars2 3D model
Camaro GT4R - FREE, Reiza
Mclaren 570S GT4 - FREE, Reiza
Mclaren F1 LM - FREE, Reiza

Mclaren F1 GTR - FREE, PCars2 3D model
Mercedes CLK LM - FREE, PCars2 3D model
Porsche 911 GT1 - FREE, PCars2 3D model

Now keep in mind that for the cars that do use 3D model assets from PCars2, we still produce most of the textures, physics, audio assets as well as the AI, and obviously these all had to be licensed by us to be included in AMS2 (at a cost that oftens rivals or exceed that of the overall production) - the same will apply for any future content that still uses PCars2 assets (which are also not free).

I´m not sure if there´s ever been another PC racing sim that has had that much content (most of it free) delivered within a single year, but we are nevertheless confident it´s a pretty impressive tally - one that has taken a lot of sweat to put together and that we´re very proud of. If you don´t like the game or for whatever reason don´t like the approach we´re using in order to deliver free content for our users at a more rapid pace by all means say your piece - when it comes to factual information let´s stick to the reality as relayed above ;)

Last edited:

Jugulador

250RPM
Jun 6, 2015
Yes, that is what I feel. I'm willing to pay for almost every DLC, doesn't matter which sim and I have pretty much all the original content from each sim. But this annoys me.
If I had this as hardcopy, it would find a new owner very soon. 6 month later everything will be for free...
I was about to buy the Spa DLC, but now I will wait. It's not like I'm just cursing the Reiza's folks... I still supporting it (I bought the game on early access and all DLCs as soon as available) and really cheer for them... but they are doing it all wrong and fell very lost. Why should I pay for new content if it's free for everybody? They are shooting their own feet.

NR The-Boss

10RPM
Jun 4, 2018
Out of curiosity since the weather engine was mentioned, does choosing "live weather" actually make the in game weather representative of the weather in the real world location? For example, if I want to race at Silverstone and it's initially raining but then gets sunny, will that be reflected in the sim?

Jun 24, 2019
I was about to buy the Spa DLC, but now I will wait. It's not like I'm just cursing the Reiza's folks... I still supporting it (I bought the game on early access and all DLCs as soon as available) and really cheer for them... but they are doing it all wrong and fell very lost. Why should I pay for new content if it's free for everybody? They are shooting their own feet.
For me, everyone wins: Whoever has DLCs will have more competitive online games, whoever doesn't have DLCs will have the opportunity to race on the tracks and become a potential buyer of DLCs.

A good marketing strategy.

DKOliver

100RPM
Premium
Sep 25, 2016
The best part of PC2 was its graphics/models, so I see no problem with using those as a resource. But if you think the PC2 CLK and the AMS2 CLK drive AT ALL like eachother, then I truly don't believe you have driven both.
It's not out yet how do you know how it drives?

Renato Simioni

Reiza Studios
Jan 6, 2010
So my purchase of Season Pass will benefit these guys?
Not sure I am super happy about that.
Andrew you have a knack for being one of the most prolific posters in every AMS2 topic I come accross in RD, and always with the most uncharitable spin of the info being offered :p Spending so much time commenting on a game you clearly don´t enjoy frankly seems like an odd way to spend one´s time, but whatever rocks your boat I guess..

In any case, for further clarification in case the original text isn´t clear enough so we don´t have another misconception taking off here - we will be keeping DLC tracks available for all users in Championship mode (for those champs that do include them) , both as a benefit to the general user but also not to partially kneecap a whole game mode for users that should be able to enjoy it. We´re also looking into making DLC tracks available for users that don´t own them when joining Multiplayer races, as a way to stimulate online participation (which we feel ends up being to the benefit of everyone who wants the multiplayer scene to be more active).

There is still a whole lot of game for which these DLC tracks won´t be available unless you own it, and the Season Pass will feature a whole catalogue of cars that are not factored in this policy at all (you´ll be able to race them but not use them unless you own them).

If you do own the Season Pass and by this time next year you still feel it hasn´t been a worthwhile purchase, send me a PM so we can work out a way to make you whole ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghoults

1000RPM
Mar 30, 2009
Personally I don't mind at all that some pcars content makes its way into ams2. To me it sounds like a slam dunk no brainer. Pay for the licenses (and sms) and have a car almost ready to go. Beats the option of having to make everything from scratch. Surely most of the stuff that comes and goes is the sound and 3d models and animations. Physics certainly receive an upgrade. Even if ams2 could do with an update on that area as well. Pcars games had a strong car list. I hope ams2 can take as much from there as possible!

All in all I like all that I read. The dlc track sharing thing is very generous. For me it would be enough to not have to own a dlc car to race against it in a session so this definitely goes above and beyond what I'd expect as fair! Sharing tracks in this way should help with dlc content being used more online. While also making the tracks more valuable for people to buy as owning content now guarantees you can use online even if not all your friends own it. In certain games dlc is worthless once the initial gold rush has gone by and after that you never see that content online again, unless you join some league (see acc gt4 and rf2 everything).

It is also an honest move to make the content usable in this way as it proves that they believe in their content and in the quality of it by allowing people to see and experience it before buying. Also good for the consumer. Hopefully reiza sees this as a positive thing in their checkbooks. Locking all content behind paywalls does not always mean the biggest income.

I like the sound of track surface updates too (if Iread that right). Hopefully reiza will completely move away from those rf1 era sine wave road bumps and use drivable 3d meshes on every driven surface (except sand and grass). It is extra work for sure but it is the difference of the track surface feeling like laser scanned instead of driving on an excel bar graph. On some tracks the sine wave effect was quite strong. I hope with cam updates they are also fixing the view movement buttons issue. I like the sound of the multiplayer updates as well.

I hope there is big push to improve the physics. The game is still kinda buggy and unfinished but the physics is still the biggest issue.

Jugulador

250RPM
Jun 6, 2015
For me, everyone wins: Whoever has DLCs will have more competitive online games, whoever doesn't have DLCs will have the opportunity to race on the tracks and become a potential buyer of DLCs.

A good marketing strategy.
No... everybody loses because Reiza have no more marketing credibility. They could sell the game since the beginning as a full-no-DLC-game and increase their fanbase over it, not needing the extra income from DLC (a lot of small studios do it with very good result$). But they took money from a lot of people and now are doing this mixing sell policy.

Now, people who pays for DLC will not do it anymore, and people that don't buy their game will still not doing it, because it is not about lack of content (AMS2 base game, specially with the already free content, aced it), but lack of polishing/quality... and this kind of consumer will not waste money on AMS2 anyway, since their development strategy is just about quantity, not quality (Renato's own words).

Last edited:

andrea1978

50RPM
Oct 16, 2010
Cars and tracks imported from PC2? Where is the problem? We are talking about a large amount of content at the highest level which, thanks to the improvements that could be made by Reiza, would make AMS2 the top. Unfortunately we continue to reiterate the inadequacy of PC2 without having deepened the game, or without having set up the simulator properly (e.g. the AI setting is essential to have a more than realistic experience with PC2) and without having tried the number of custom FFBs released in recent months and which have upset the driving experience of PC2. Without forgetting the mods (custom grids, additional liveries, new cars). At my start PC2 is a better product than AMS2, but as it is no longer supported while AMS2 is in full development, I am confident that we can see great things in the future.
So... good work Reiza!

TrumpetReich

250RPM
Premium
Oct 30, 2015
No... everybody loses because Reiza have no more marketing credibility. They could sell the game since the beginning as a full-no-DLC-game and increase their fanbase over it, not needing the extra income from DLC (a lot of small studios do it with very good result$). But they took money from a lot of people and now are doing this mixing sell policy.

Now, people who pays for DLC will not do it anymore, and people that don't buy their game will still not doing it, because it wasn't about lack of content (AMS2 base game, specially with the already free content, aced it), but lack of polishing/quality... and this kind of consumer will not waste money on AMS2 anyway, since their development strategy is just about quantity, not quality (Renato's own words).
What don't you get about the DLC will still be locked for individual races, which is what most people do? There is absolutely reason to buy the DLC.

" is just about quantity, not quality (Renato's own words)." Okay now you're just misconstruing words to be a jackass.

Andrew_WOT

4000RPM
May 11, 2014
Sim Racing Community : "Paid DLC sucks - it splinters the MP racing between the have/have not's making it more difficult to get large grids"

Reiza Studios : "We're here to help"

Sim Racing Community : "No thanks!!!"
It would be fine and peachy if it was the policy from the beginning.
But I've paid for Season Pass, many others who wanted to support studio did the same. But that means that we also paid for all freeloaders who can get it for free now. :thumbsdown:

fireballr18

250RPM
Mar 3, 2018
Undestandable. If I could I would also think of this and see how this gonna work out.
Really...normally I do not care about a few bucks, I've spent a lot of money to the entire industry to support and enjoy the products. And I pay almost always regular prices and that is fine with me.

I neither don't care if something will be for free at some point, nor if the game is more or less its entire lifetime on sale...:whistling:

To me it's simply not correct but there is a reason acting so. Good luck that it will work :)