Automobilista 2 | 1997 McLaren MP4/12 Heading To The Simulation

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have confirmed the slightly delayed new mystery car coming to the simulation will be the epic West McLaren Mercedes MP4/12, as driven by Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard during the 1997 F1 season.
  • McLaren MP4/12 will be added as free DLC content.
  • The car will be released alongside a new build update for the simulation.

We knew a new car was heading to the simulation as part of this final August build update, and now the cat is out of the bag - the McLaren MP4/12 that raced in the 1997 Formula One World Championship is coming to Automobilista 2 - the final McLaren of the slicks generation before Formula One moved to grooved tyres for 1998.

Those of us who can remember 1997 (was it really 23 years ago?!?!?) will recall this particular McLaren had a special trick rear brake system, something that helped the Mercedes powered team to their first victory in Grand Prix racing since the great Ayrton Senna departed the team at the conclusion of the 1993 racing season.

Having found form towards the end of '97, the MP4/12 would act as something of a springboard for the team heading into the new Adrian Newey era for 1998, with Hakkinen catapulting himself into a champion driver for the following two years, while team mate Coulthard continued to rack up occasional race victories as his support wing man at the British team.

McLaren would win three races in 1997 on their way to third and sixth in the Drivers World Championship (following the exclusion of Michael Schumacher post Jerez Villeneuve shunt), and arguably the team produced their most attractive car of recent memory with the striking shape and new Mercedes and tobacco inspired silver livery.

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Have answers? Want to chat about AMS 2 and don't know where to go? Worry not my friend, we have just the place for you! The Automobilista 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment welcomes you with open arms - come say hello!

AMS 2 McLaren.jpg

O.K. - Great respect for Reiza - Team (this will be the software to buy, if i will interest in the future !)

But:
- Why i realize a relative static tyre - temperature - management in all videos of all cars ?,
compare with AMS 1 - Boxer-Cup or rF1 Mods for example?
- No influence of suspension settings to to the tyre-temperature ? (Caster, Camper etc.).
It seems that the rubbers - the material are to hard, a lot of more sensitive will be better in my opinion
- Every car seems to me, have the same tyre loudness (Scrub and skid sound for example)

In hoping, that this is not limited of the SMS-Engine !
(rF2 Engine seems to me , as an "overboosting - Engine", this will be all possible, but the program-engineers havent enough time to learn the engine and the influence of a lot of parameters - AMS2 with SMS-Engine are going a step - back, will be nice to reach the AMS1 Level and more !)
So, you don't own the game and haven't driven it yet reached all these conclusions!!!!.....

Does the AI use the Push To Pass in the cars that have it???
Yes.

Last edited:
Luckily it is again another F1. No sim has ever showed this amount of love for that series, it seems nobody cares despite it's the most popular race series in the world.

Personally I just race their openwheelers for 80-90% of the time, especially the 80s and 90s F1 cars. They're fantastic. I hope you can someday make a custom grid with adjusted driver strenghts and custom skins.

I hope you can someday make a custom grid with adjusted driver strenghts and custom skins.

That bit is key to my long-term interest in AMS2 - until I can actually have some familiarity with who I'm racing against (even though I know they're just 1s and 0s) and can adjust them so they 'evolve' a bit, I'm just driving the odd race, not really immersing in the game world - the 'career' mode on the roadmap at this point, I fear it would just be the one from PCARS2 with all the replay-ability of a Mission Impossible instructional tape.

Interesting comment, I never thought about it that way. If true, how Reiza is doing it, is brilliant.

Off topic, but you may find this interesting - a lot of games use similar 'workarounds' for licensing restrictions by series (for example, PCARS had a single DTM car but weren't allowed to put any racing liveries on it) but one of my favourite's of the genre is Dirt Rally.

Obviously, they didn't have a WRC licence, but basically had 4 contemporary 4 WRC cars (2012 regs): the VW Polo is the bona-fide WRC car, correct shape and works livery; the Mini 'John Cooper Works', Hyundai 'Rally' and Ford 'Fiesta Rally' are all based on test/show car bodywork and not the versions that actually competed in WRC, but you can only tell if you really squint.

Last edited:
Very true, but I think it's also true that 2020 drivers do seem very dull. It's not that they don't have personality and charisma, it's that they're not allowed to show it. With everything being corporate and contracts being a lot more strict than they ever were in the past, drivers have to tow the company line and never say anything controversial. The result is that they come across like robots, all spewing the same set script for a given situation. YAWN. :sleep:
Yes, this is the same trend in every sport and it has/is getting progressively worse over time...all the way from the 60's (pre-corporate era) to today.

(BTW, in case it's not clear, I'm half joking. I even quite like Spa, though the historic version is a lot more fun IMO, as it often is with many tracks. And I certainly understand it why it's more or less a must for a sim to have it.)

So, you don't own the game and haven't driven it yet reached all these conclusions!!!!.....

Yes.

Yes - i dont own AMS2 and analyse videos and comments.

The Tyre Temperature hud seems very very static, possible in 2021 or 2022 Reiza will patch this.
In videos its seems - that the PC-Racers can drive the cars very very hard a lot of laps and the tyre-temperature stay in "green".

My hardware isnt new enough for the sms - engine, for ams2, assetto etc.
Consequently i must wait, till the hardware will be cheaper.

Between 2008-2012 the Racing-Sim-Community were on a very high-level (in my opinion) and a "little hand fuel" rF1 Mods for example gave a nice driving-feedback and it was very important too - to handle the tyre-temperature and the setup for the suspensions.
It seems that only any AMS-Cars stay on this level till today (this is my opinion) with very good FFB-Tweaks by Reiza !

Reiza Studios have confirmed the slightly delayed new mystery car coming to the simulation will be the epic West McLaren Mercedes MP4/12, as driven by Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard during the 1997 F1 season.
  • McLaren MP4/12 will be added as free DLC content.
  • The car will be released alongside a new build update for the simulation.

We knew a new car was heading to the simulation as part of this final August build update, and now the cat is out of the bag - the McLaren MP4/12 that raced in the 1997 Formula One World Championship is coming to Automobilista 2 - the final McLaren of the slicks generation before Formula One moved to grooved tyres for 1998.

Those of us who can remember 1997 (was it really 23 years ago?!?!?) will recall this particular McLaren had a special trick rear brake system, something that helped the Mercedes powered team to their first victory in Grand Prix racing since the great Ayrton Senna departed the team at the conclusion of the 1993 racing season.

Having found form towards the end of '97, the MP4/12 would act as something of a springboard for the team heading into the new Adrian Newey era for 1998, with Hakkinen catapulting himself into a champion driver for the following two years, while team mate Coulthard continued to rack up occasional race victories as his support wing man at the British team.

McLaren would win three races in 1997 on their way to third and sixth in the Drivers World Championship (following the exclusion of Michael Schumacher post Jerez Villeneuve shunt), and arguably the team produced their most attractive car of recent memory with the striking shape and new Mercedes and tobacco inspired silver livery.

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Have answers? Want to chat about AMS 2 and don't know where to go? Worry not my friend, we have just the place for you! The Automobilista 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment welcomes you with open arms - come say hello!

View attachment 400219
Please! Someboy.. convert it to AC! Please..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back