Auto clutch and experience needed for social events

Hello people,

First of all, I'm sorry if this is not the place to ask this question, I'm new to the forums (and sim racing in general), so I'm a little rusty with conventions.
I don't own a clutch pedal, and I've noticed that the assists listed in the social races threads don't contain "auto clutch" or "throttle blip". I found a few posts from 2.5 years ago that said that it's not an issue to use auto clutch at these events, but I was wondering if that's still the case now.

Now the other issue is that, as I said, I'm still very new to sim racing, and I'm wondering if it's better to do more racing offline or to just dive into the social events and learn from real people. I don't want to get onto the track like a madman and ruin the fun for everyone else. How much of a beginner is acceptable at beginner friendly events? Otherwise I will do some more races against AI (of which I frankly also haven't done a lot) and a few more hours of practice laps.

Thanks for any response really, and sorry for the long post,

Ron

Hello people,

First of all, I'm sorry if this is not the place to ask this question, I'm new to the forums (and sim racing in general), so I'm a little rusty with conventions.
I don't own a clutch pedal, and I've noticed that the assists listed in the social races threads don't contain "auto clutch" or "throttle blip". I found a few posts from 2.5 years ago that said that it's not an issue to use auto clutch at these events, but I was wondering if that's still the case now.

Now the other issue is that, as I said, I'm still very new to sim racing, and I'm wondering if it's better to do more racing offline or to just dive into the social events and learn from real people. I don't want to get onto the track like a madman and ruin the fun for everyone else. How much of a beginner is acceptable at beginner friendly events? Otherwise I will do some more races against AI (of which I frankly also haven't done a lot) and a few more hours of practice laps.

Thanks for any response really, and sorry for the long post,

Ron
Hi Ron!
Absolutely the right place to ask this :)

Throttle-blip: Can't be disabled server sided so you can decide if you wanna use it or not!

Auto Clutch: I think it is like this... I don't have the pedal mapped and I'm using paddles.
  • Witch clutch pedal:
    • Car has no clutch: You can't even use your pedal! (Audi TT for example jump starts if you shift into 1st gear with pressed clutch!).
    • Car has a clutch: you don't really have to use it. Only if you're using H-Pattern you can miss gears! Fun fact: Up-shifts will be quicker with paddled if you disable auto-clutch. The gear will get slammed in and you won't lose time over the game 'clutching' too slowly.
  • Without clutch pedal:
    • Car has no clutch: nothing changes.
    • Car has a clutch: no problem, it's automatically automated for you.
  • No Clutch, H-Pattern mapped, no paddles mapped:
    • no idea!
Now the question is what auto-clutch actually does....

Two things afaik:
1. You can't miss gears with H-Pattern shifters
2. If the car has a clutch you can start a lot better if you use the pedal. No matter if paddles or H-Shifter! GT3 are a good example. Without auto-clutch you just rev and shift into 1st gear. Depending on your traction control level the engine will lose all rev or the wheels will spin. With auto-clutch the engine won't lose all it's rev.

One problem with auto-clutch: when you get stuck in a gravel trap the wheels won't spin but instead the game will play around with the clutch pedal for you and you will only go about 0.5 kp/h and literally crawl out of the gravel!

As you see there are a lot of combinations but in short:
No problem at all! You might be 1 tenth slower and lose a little time at the start depending on the combination you use.

To the level of experience:
Just sign up and race with us! :)

Make sure to enable the track map app and download+install Helicorsa (linked in every race thread!). Also F11 enables the mirror.
As long as you be careful and not ram somebody off the road it's all gonna be fine! And even when something happens: Just wait for the other driver and no one can do anything to you! (golden rule).
Also don't panic when some fast guy gets behind you. Then it gets dangerous!
Keep your line and only move off the racing line when there's a straight that allows for it. He will overtake you when the situation allows for it! :)

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation Rasmus, this was more than I was hoping for! I'll definitely join this Friday :)
As written above be aware that the Audi TT does not make use of a clutch at all and also has an electronic kicker.
As easy as it gets! Put your foot down and shift into 1st gear. Brake with the left foot and just use the paddles.
Little advice: as long as you don't hit the throttle too hard, it's faster to disable TC :)

As written above be aware that the Audi TT does not make use of a clutch at all and also has an electronic kicker.
As easy as it gets! Put your foot down and shift into 1st gear. Brake with the left foot and just use the paddles.
Little advice: as long as you don't hit the throttle too hard, it's faster to disable TC
I've been doing laps without TC actually, so I think I'll be alright. Thanks for the fast replies, I'm looking forward to the event!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 314 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%