Austin Mini Cooper S FIA App.K Historic Racing

Cars Austin Mini Cooper S FIA App.K Historic Racing 2.12

Login or Register an account to download this content
I really love this mod. In addition to the comment made by Fanapryde maybe you could reconsider the behaviour of the car. As I understand it, when you listen to the interviews of real mini racers, it is all about corner speed, mildly lift off oversteer to plant the car in low speed corners and good drafting opportunities because of the bad aero. If you look at the real car behaviour at eg the Goodwood chicane and how close these racers plant their cars against the wall, it is amazing. It suggests less tyreflex and less bodyroll. As an experiment I dialed back the tyre flex, upped the grip levels a little, redid the A.I to let them really attack the corners and set draft to max. It is indeed more easy, but still a big joy to ride. Mind, I like what you did with the mod, this is just an afterthought.

Last edited:
I really love this mod. In addition to the comment made by Fanapryde maybe you could reconsider the behaviour of the car. As I understand it, when you listen to the interviews of real mini racers, it is all about corner speed, mildly lift off oversteer to plant the car in low speed corners and good drafting opportunities because of the bad aero. If you look at the real car behaviour at eg the Goodwood chicane and how close these racers plant their cars against the wall, it is amazing. It suggests less tyreflex and less bodyroll. As an experiment I dialed back the tyre flex, upped the grip levels a little, redid the A.I to let them really attack the corners and set draft to max. It is indeed more easy, but still a big joy to ride. Mind, I like what you did with the mod, this is just an afterthought.

Maybe you could share your physics update. i´d like to get this important race car right. There is nothing wrong if something is easy.

The only factor to be considered btw, is to have close to reality lap times, so keep in mind that factor. @schrep1964 yes, can u share it, i'll take a look, even i don't think car need more grip, the tyres are almost in semi-slick config, i suppose only tweaking the rear ones will do the trick. if u share plz mention all the mods u did to easy compare.

Try it at Brands, and car have to never go under 1.50

Last edited:
I am really enjoying this car.
I wouldn't change anything about the feel or grip.
though the in cockpit sound is a bit mixed up, so that some things are louder that others
and you can't hear the engine rev over the gear box whine.
The only thing I would change is to add a big old shift light to the dash board.

Thanks for this wonderful little car

I am really enjoying this car.
I wouldn't change anything about the feel or grip.
though the in cockpit sound is a bit mixed up, so that some things are louder that others
and you can't hear the engine rev over the gear box whine.
The only thing I would change is to add a big old shift light to the dash board.

Thanks for this wonderful little car
thanks for all, mate. One thing, i can assure in a mini with straight cut gearbox, gear whine is like an heavy metal gig in cockpit.

try that in the meantime, less oversteer, less flex, more drag, other tweaks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0avvv49dspj9icz/data.rar?dl=0

try that in the meantime, less oversteer, less flex, more drag, other tweaks
Hmm... I quickly reverted to the original. This seems to give me more oversteer and it's easier to lose the car.
I had so much trouble controlling it that my lap times dearly suffered (stock settings).

Hmm... I quickly reverted to the original. This seems to give me more oversteer and it's easier to lose the car.
I had so much trouble controlling it that my lap times dearly suffered (stock settings).
really? sounds really strange. Laptimes can be little slower due more drag. but i added grip to rear tyres, or better, reduced speed sensitivity to rear ones, that was the hack to have more lift off oversteer

really? sounds really strange. Laptimes can be little slower due more drag. but i added grip to rear tyres, or better, reduced speed sensitivity to rear ones, that was the hack to have more lift off oversteer
Don't know about drag, it wasn't on the straights that I lost time. In the first two corners I lost already about a second because the back stepped out that hard. After three laps I reverted back to the original data. Maybe I should give it another try, but it certainly did not feel more controllable...

Hi,

I haven't tried your new release candidate yet. Will try it later. This was my little input, nothing more than a quick experiment because of your interesting remark about tyreflex and easiness and the Chris Harris video about the Mini racer. I'm no real modder and I don't have any real car data.

What I did first was changing the draft vs downforcecoefficient to -0.32 (40 kg of negative lift vs 120 kg of drag at max speed).

Made the AI more about corner speed so GAS_GAIN is higher. Chris Harris said in his video that the top drivers brake well below the 100m point (better brakepads than back in 1964). His was between 100-150m. So BREAK_HINT is higher. GAS_CUTOFF_TIME is at 0.5 because of the dog gearbox with clutch use. The tyres have only changes in the FLEX, DX_REF, DY_REF and FLEXGAIN values. They probably represent semi-slicks now I guess. Tested it at Brand Hatch and Nordschleife endurance. At Brand Hatch the best AI do a 1.52.2. In Content Manager: track conditions on ideal, slipstream effect on 10 and AI strength at 100.

Datafile at:
https://mega.nz/#F!MFJBjI5Q!tn3AzyzM6t2WfONJdUcZAg

Note: I wondered if we are all looking at the same thing. Those video's we put up are about Mini's with modern updates like better tyrecompounds and better brakepads. Your mod is about representing the 1964 specs, so maybe this is about apples and oranges? I mean, maybe you should leave it at what it is: a marvellous mod!

Last edited:
Try it at Brands, and car have to never go under 1.50
I just tested the 1.0 version and did a 1:46.6, pretty confident I could get it into the 45's if I kept at it. I will try your data update now and see how fast that is around Brands GP.

If I can find a good onboard at a track we have in AC I will try and make a side by side comparison to see where time is gained.

I synced this somewhere in T1 as the AC car was entering T1 a lot faster and they were instantly too far apart when synced at the S/F line. I havent watched it too closely yet but a lot of the difference looks to be straight line speed. The AC car here is using the last data option posted by Pessio on dropbox.

I synced this somewhere in T1 as the AC car was entering T1 a lot faster and they were instantly too far apart when synced at the S/F line. I havent watched it too closely yet but a lot of the difference looks to be straight line speed. The AC car here is using the last data option posted by Pessio on dropbox.

Interesting. If enginepower is equal, would it suggest that the aero is off or the grip values?

.../... Note: I wondered if we are all looking at the same thing. Those video's we put up are about Mini's with modern updates like better tyrecompounds and better brakepads. Your mod is about representing the 1964 specs, so maybe this is about apples and oranges? I mean, maybe you should leave it at what it is: a marvellous mod!

Good point. As I wrote before, all 'old' video's show pretty loose Mini's, even drifting through all corners, while now it's completely different.
I'll stick to the original, getting used to it anyway as it is big fun to drive...

Interesting. If enginepower is equal, would it suggest that the aero is off or the grip values?
It could be any number of things I guess. It is getting away even out of slow corners like Druids so I guess grip and/or power rather than drag.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing