Attacking SPA hotlaps records

i just started now at acc... don't have more than 3 days... i find it really hard to have under 2:22 lap time in SPA. using g29. is this a wheel problem or its actually that hard?

i tried even watch david perel and other guides in spa... i just cant!

im hitting the brake points even using throttle to stabilize the car... i cant get to 2:16.

my record was around 2:22:500 with mclaren and ferrari. using aggressive setups and other setups ready for download in this page.

just today i made around 200 laps. nearly quitting honestly

The oversteer come when you release the brake pressure too quick. If you released it slower & also turn-in it will hold. If you don't turn-in it will oversteer.

It makes no sense, but that's how it feel like.
it probably makes sense cuz it triggers the abs while you are still braking but is this needed? why* not just use abs 6 or 7?

Into La Source you could be a few meters to the left before turning in. On the exit you have lots of spare room (until you turn left on the exit) so you could carry a bit more speed.
In Eau Rouge/Radillion, a smaller lift - trust the car will stay on the track.
At Les Combes, turn in earlier and use the kerb on the right, left and right. Carry more speed, especially through the final right.
You brake too much for the hairpin - you need to be braking well into the corner. At the moment you are almost entirely off the brakes before you steer (this applies to every corner though). Get on the power earlier, and stay with it - you lift again and don't really open the throttle until the car is almost straight.
Get to the right earlier and more for the left. You used good apex kerb, but had lots of room on the exit suggesting you could carry more speed.
Brake a lot earlier for Pouhon, and ease the car into the corner with the brakes still applied. You lost a second running wide here.
Turn in earlier to the right-left and hug the right hand side. In the left hander you go in too fast and too early, so you're not on the power until the exit kerb - you need to be full throttle basically at the apex of any corner (some exceptions, but not many).
Use more of the track on the left, and go in slower so you can turn the car and be at full throttle before the exit.
Fast right isn't bad, but you turn a bit too late and scrub speed trying to get to the apex. Least bad corner so far.
You brake too much (early) for the chicane, and you're off the brakes well before the first apex kerb. You then drive to the second apex - don't! Pretend you're going into the pits and hug the right, giving a much better line into the final left, so long as you can get to the apex.

Brake into every corner - trail braking. No decent driver has EVER finished braking before turning in.
Go slow enough into the corner such that you can be full throttle by the apex and still make the exit.
Turning in late is good in general, but you do it a bit too much.
Use every inch of track - if you're rear wheels aren't on the white line (or on the kerb, where applicable) at turn in and at the exit then you're losing time.

Try a different car. The Ferrari has a particular way it likes to be driven and you might prefer the Bentley or Mercedes for now, for example.
I agree here at everything you've mentioned except your analyzing of Les Combes. He simple overshoot this corner in my opinion. So he've to wait for front end grip instead of appliying throttle at the apex.

i just want to get at 2:20 not to beat the wr haha
I'm really not the fastest guy out there but I'm able to do mid 2:19 - mid 2:20 out of the box with all cars by using just the basics of driving. "Attacking SPA hotlaps records" shouln't come to your mind before you're able to do the same. That means you've to practise a lot more the basics of your driving.

You are pretty much asking :

"Hey I've been doing this thing for 3 days why am I not matching some of the best in the world at this thing ?"
Exactly :thumbsup: Practise means everything here.

it probably makes sense cuz it triggers the abs while you are still braking but is this needed? why* not just use abs 6 or 7?
I actually found the opposite to be true, with the Aston anyway. I had 4 ABS and brake bias of 64, sometimes increasing it to 64.4 but it seemed to be worse that way.

Then I lowered the brake ducts (1 rear - 2 front) and reversed the brake bias to 63.0, and decreased ABS to 3, which totally removed this snap oversteer.

It seems if the brake ducts are too big, the rear brakes never heat up, and then lock more, which you feel as soon as you release the brakes whilst turning.

Setting the ABS down from 4 to 3 lowers the brake distance as well, since it doesn't lock up much due to the brake bias being 63.0.

I used these settings for the 2 hour race at Silverstone last night on the official CP server and I never had any snap oversteer of any sort.

Of course, it could be slightly different per car, but I will be testing it on other cars as well this week.

in my new uploaded video lambo i thought the speed corner doing it wrong cost me 0.500 secs or something but even that could not explain how i didnt got my 2:20 also the video below just showed the guy not hitting the apex aswell but still gets 2:17... i dont want to do a perfect lap or hit 2:15 but not hitting 2:20 in a hotlap/qualify setups makes a bad scenario for me
you have still the basics to learn. you need months of driving still

thanks for all the replies guys i usually go and watch the records to see whats the line they take braking points and everything to maximize my line but for example for spa i've already seen million and one different lines some different corners brakes and they all can do around 2:16... about trail braking i do it in f1 already in some corners like in barcelona bahrain and others but in acc without abs is impossible with (low of ) it feels a lot oversteery...

different car different challenge i guess but i dont understand why higher abs like 6 that makes me comfortable bomb dive corner wouldnt make me better driver even david perel said in the videos they are motivated to do it and makes the car more stable for better exit... again its just my thinking. and after seen different videos different lines taking 2:16 time its just weird i cant do 2:20 at least

@nbk25 I used to do a "racing basics" class here at RD for premium members. I dont know when that starts up again, or who's doing it. But that's what you need.

I've watched half your first video. Like many have said, they've outlined most of the problems. The basics were missing all over the lap. Poor use of track, lots of steering input etc.

Second video, was way better. I'm actually surprised. One because the track use was a lot better, meaning you were using the width of it much more, your lines were not bad and over all it was just more enjoyable a watch then the previous one. If I were you I'd look at that lap and try to build corner by corner where you can improve.

For example:
  1. First corner (La source/Hairpin).
  2. Braking just at or just after the 100M mark
  3. Are you all the way to the left hand side of the track
  4. Finish all of you braking in a straight line
  5. Did you hit the apex (ie clip the rumble strip)
  6. Apply throttle at or just after the apex
  7. Full throttle as soon as possible?
  8. Bonus - minimal use of TC (doesn't light up as much, low TC setting as you're straightened up so acceleration is not hampered by TC)

Do that for every corner. Because at 2:22 lap time you're about 3 seconds off qually time in a generic aggressive setup on a track that has 20 corners, thats .150s on every corner on average. Think of it like that. When you break down the lap into sectors, then sectors into corners, it becomes easier to acknowledge where you're losing time. Being fast at hot lapping is about half the battle, although in ACC I'd say it's a third.

So after you do this for Spa, I encourage you to go online and start racing, look for servers with high SA requirements, although that still wont guarantee a better race, 8/10 times it usually does. Racing with others, you'll see how you're still lacking on pace in qually, but also in race pace. Racing in close proximity with other cars will change the aero profile of your car which you will then have to manage. The Huracan for example is very sensitive to cars following it closely, especially at Eau Rouge. But all of this maybe after you've tackled Spa properly.

You're just practicing now. But it's not good practice, improve your methods of practice, you will improved times. We're just talking about practice here, this is practice :D (Allen Iverson circa 2002)

Last edited:
you have still the basics to learn. you need months of driving still
I disagree so much on this one, his racing line is fine which point out he know what he's doing. He just need to fix where he got trolled.

All he need to know is a bit a mythbusting based of his lap in comparison to the veteran simracers lap.

1st: Don't sense the G, but his underdriving the car almost everywhere during the entry phase.
2nd: If you're underdriving the car, hmm why need smoother input? ;)
3rd: Early on throttle, but he is too early on throttle based on the comparison. So is early on throttle on/off throttle skillset?
4th: So if no sense of G but underdriving everywhere, why talk about balance & weight transfer?

Sometime you need to seek where it's completely wrong to get it there.

I disagree so much on this one, his racing line is fine which point out he know what he's doing. He just need to fix where he got trolled.

All he need to know is a bit a mythbusting based of his lap in comparison to the veteran simracers lap.

1st: Don't sense the G, but his underdriving the car almost everywhere during the entry phase.
3rd: Early on throttle, but he is too early on throttle based on the comparison. So is early on throttle on/off throttle skillset?
4th: So if no sense of G but underdriving everywhere, why talk about balance & weight transfer?

i've no idea what you are comparing with or what lap did you see, but the one i saw him driving the ferrari was far from what i'd call knowing the basics and good racing lines

Others may disagree but to me, you're treating the controls like a light switch. Think of weight at all times. All your inputs are moving thousands of pounds of weight around, often in protest. Smooth that out, maximize the track boundaries so you can maximize speed and minimize tire scrub.

All that will come with putting more miles. Just keep driving and self critique while you're driving. You should have enough mental capacity left over while concentrating to quickly evaluate what you did each corner and what changes, if any, to make the next time. Track mileage is king.

I'd recommend you get original AC, use a slower but capable car like a MX5 Cup and learn there first. The skill you pick up will transfer to any car and any sim.

indeed i was underdriving in some corners... i was able to get 2:21 already in amg

Others may disagree but to me, you're treating the controls like a light switch. Think of weight at all times. All your inputs are moving thousands of pounds of weight around, often in protest. Smooth that out, maximize the track boundaries so you can maximize speed and minimize tire scrub.

All that will come with putting more miles. Just keep driving and self critique while you're driving. You should have enough mental capacity left over while concentrating to quickly evaluate what you did each corner and what changes, if any, to make the next time. Track mileage is king.

I'd recommend you get original AC, use a slower but capable car like a MX5 Cup and learn there first. The skill you pick up will transfer to any car and any sim.

thx for reply mate. what corners you think im not being smooth?

i try to be smooth all the time

im more of f1 gamer rfactor 2 and f1 game.... i dont like that slow cars and i dont see any new updates of mx5 cup cars i dont know if the right physics are there and i dont know how to setup a car dont even know the right angle rotation haha

my 2:21:6 lap but it was invalidated :\

quite an improvement. but you still need to work on the basics like, having your brake marks and turn in points, some lines are incorrect, specially turn in.
don't look at laptimes, just drive for some months and you'l get those down. but if you are in a hurry to get fast, without any experience in simracing, bad news there are no shortcuts.

quite an improvement. but you still need to work on the basics like, having your brake marks and turn in points, some lines are incorrect, specially turn in.
don't look at laptimes, just drive for some months and you'l get those down. but if you are in a hurry to get fast, without any experience in simracing, bad news there are no shortcuts.
can you be more specific in what turns if you have time please?

thx for reply mate. what corners you think im not being smooth?

i try to be smooth all the time

im more of f1 gamer rfactor 2 and f1 game.... i dont like that slow cars and i dont see any new updates of mx5 cup cars i dont know if the right physics are there and i dont know how to setup a car dont even know the right angle rotation haha

Slower cars force you to maximize each corner as mistakes are amplified. MX5 Cup is in regular AC, not ACC.

Do what works for you.

I still think you lose most of the speed, because you drive too smooth & not bomb diving with the brake. So what's happening is the nose has no grip for the exit, since the nose is not pointing for the exit.

Here you basically hold the steering angle & release the brake. The correct pattern is you turn in, after you release the brake pressure & repeat. You just have to make sure that you steer in before you release the brake pressure.

If you read the post#41 you can profit at the apex when you don't steer in while holding the brake pressure & after you kind of can floor it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 201 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 253 13.3%