ATS | Idaho 'Viewpoint' Feature Coming Soon

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
American Truck Simulator new preview time is here again folks - this time looking at a cool new feature under development.
  • Update on upcoming Idaho map expansion.
  • First look at proposed 'Viewpoint' cut scene feature.
  • 'Viewpoint' under consideration for wider roll out across the playing area.

SCS Software, the development team behind European Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator are an incredibly prolific studio, often developing and releasing new and increasingly impressive content and features for their portfolio of trucking simulations.

Keen to keep in tune with the wishes and needs of their massive community, the studio have recently showcased a new feature they are considering rolling out to the wider game area - 'Viewpoint' - special cut scene locations where drivers can stop off and admire some of the digital beauty baked into the various landscapes around the game.

• First pass coming as part of the Idaho DLC.
  • Potential to expand with more detail if well received by the community.
  • Several active locations placed within the new expansion.

SCS Software have developed these new cut scene features as a bit of an experiment within the new map expansion, as can be seen in the video above they will initially launch with a simplistic overview of some key areas within the region.

However, should this new feature prove to be popular with the community, the studio are open to reviewing functionality with a possibility of integrating it deeper into the gameplay experience, whilst expanding the level of content and detail over and above a simple graphical cut scene.

ATS Idaho 1.jpg

At the moment, we still consider the new feature an experiment. If the reception is positive, we are thinking of expanding it further, not just to more cool locations across the whole game world, but also to make it more feature-rich, and a more integrated gameplay element. We are thinking of expanding it with descriptions and more detailed facts on why the place is interesting and important, providing a light education element. We may also consider creating a log of visited places, giving the player a chance to re-play the cut scenes of visited places as a reminder of their travels. If you have any additional ideas on how to get more fun out of the feature for players, we'd like to hear them!

ATS Idaho 2.jpg

The experimental feature is set to only release within the new Idaho expansion (due to become available July 2020) and in limited locations, however knowing how fast SCS Software work, and how committed the community are to their simulations, I think this very cool new feature is pretty much nailed on to be implemented and expanded across the whole game space within the title - and probably head to European Truck Simulator 2 at some point later on!

A really cool feature, and something that breaks up the main role of the game - carrying out long distance deliveries - I for one hope to see more of this kind of thing in the future, so we can truly enjoy the impressive and varied landscapes within the title.

Do you like the idea of these cut scene areas within ATS / ETS2? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Original Source: SCS Software

American Truck Simulator is available from Steam exclusively for PC.

Having issues with the simulation? Post a thread in the American Truck Sim sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our awesome community help you out!

ATS Idaho footer.jpg

Attachments

• ATS Idaho Header.jpg
    ATS Idaho Header.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I have both ETS2 (for almost 7 years now) & ATS (for almost 4 years now). Originally, I got both ETS & ETS 2 back on single cd during a sale when ETS2 was one year old. I assumed no.2 had improvements but I didn't play ETS as soon as I got it. When I first tried it, I thought it was a little boring (to my memory delivery food only). I then tried out ETS2 & it was a little better. I would go back & forth playing one game at a time for a few months then onto something else & rotated back - ETS2, GTA Series, STALKER Call of Pripyat. I'll have to wait until the 12:00-1:45pm this Thursday on TCM (Canada) ends in order to DL & tryout a new state! I'm waiting for my favourite state - FLORIDA - for DLC, but it looks like it will be last. So until then I use Coast-to-Coast, Canada Dream & Mexico to drive around North America! :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.5%