ATI Video Recommendations

Bob Luneski

Premium
"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore". I've had my last league race ruined by the dreaded Nvidia freeze and am jumping ship to ATI (ceremonial destruction of the Nvidia card to follow). Anyway, I've never used any of ATI's products so I'm looking for comments and recommendations.

System: Asus PQ5 PRO with E8500 @ 3.4GHZ, 4 gig mem, XP PRO
Application: Racing games(Race07 series, rFactor etc). The only other game I play is EA Sports Hockey
Requirements: 1) Doesn't freeze up in Race07 EVER! 2) HDMI connection to connect and drive a 42" HD Plasma TV at 1920x1080

Thanks for your input!

i have a similar system a Asus Rampage Formula with a e8400 @ 3.0 ghz, 4 gig geil cl5, and dualboot xp &win7
lately i jumped ship already as a long long time nvidia user i decided to get a Asus HD 5850 1 gb ddr5 it has 2x DVI
1xHDMI and 1x Displayport so you can even have a 3 monitor setup as the cart already supports eyefinity
xfx and asus both come in a bundle with dirt2 where Asus has 2 versions one with dirt2 and one without dirt2

edit* i would keep that nvidia cart as a dedicated physX cart :)

Hi guys,

Any1 switched to Ati 5850?
I plan to switch from 4870 to 5850 (prefferebly Toxic/Vapor-x by Sapphire) and wondering if I could max Race series with it, well when I say max it out I really plan to use this settings:

-all ingame options set to max, including level of details to 150% and all cars visible
-8xAA edge detect (24xCFAA), + SSA (I guess supersampling also on) 16xAF, V-sync on

any1 willing to try it on Macau for example, full grid of course, cockpit view and report framerates?
maybe with heavy rain also :redface:

thx in advance :smile:

I'm running a E8400, 2 gigs RAM with XP Pro running rFactor.

I switched from a 275GTX to a XFX Black Edition 5850 and i am very pleased with it with no freezes at this time (had it for 3 weeks).

do you mean your 4870 is not capable of doing this at a decent frame rate? Which resolution?

I am using a 3870 at 1650x1080 all maxed out and had have never an issue.
Hi guys,

Any1 switched to Ati 5850?
I plan to switch from 4870 to 5850 (prefferebly Toxic/Vapor-x by Sapphire) and wondering if I could max Race series with it, well when I say max it out I really plan to use this settings:

-all ingame options set to max, including level of details to 150% and all cars visible
-8xAA edge detect (24xCFAA), + SSA (I guess supersampling also on) 16xAF, V-sync on

any1 willing to try it on Macau for example, full grid of course, cockpit view and report framerates?
maybe with heavy rain also :redface:

thx in advance :smile:

I just bought myself a 5750 (Formula version, just because it has a cool F1 cooler on it :)) last week, and also a nice new monitor with the necessary fullHD capabilities. Also had enough of the constant displaydriver crash I had with the NVidia 8800 GT. I wanted a cheap, but powerful (well at least more powerful than the NV8800GT). Haven't had any problems, and the game runs SOO MUCH smoother. I thought I read somewhere that the 5750 even uses less power than the 8800 GT :), but not sure...

do you mean your 4870 is not capable of doing this at a decent frame rate? Which resolution?

I am using a 3870 at 1650x1080 all maxed out and had have never an issue.

well, it isn´t bad with 4870, you can run 4AA, 16AF and all ingame setings to high on full grid, but problems starts with max effects, max shadows, at rain it drops to even 30 FPS, worst is at start when all cars are visible and of course TV cam (replay) is stuttering most of the time when there is more then 2-3 cars showing, anyway just upgraded to 5850 Toxic which really has raw power, now it is much better in TV cams (replays) but still max shadows are unplayable with full grid and of course rain in combination with max effects is not perfect at least on starts, btw all on 1920x1200

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 425 39.5%