Assists: Yes or No

I'm wondering where everyone stands with the use of assists.
I run with ABS, traction and stability along with fuel consumption, tyre wear and mech damage.
Is it considered cheating or acceptable if the car has the option?
I understand it takes a lot more skill to drive without these assists, but do not (modern) real cars have this tech for safety reasons?
Can I shake off this cloud of guilt, or do i have to (slowly) wean myself off these assists?:unsure:

Just like in modern cars (my IS-F for example), some assists will cost you performance by not letting you get to the EDGE. I decided to leave ABS on which is what I do with my IS-F at the track. I turn tracktion and stability off.

Can only speak for club races. It's not considered cheating to have assists enabled. However we all run with fuel consumption and tyre wear on - if mechanical damage as well don't know.

More subjectively speaking, you'll be a better racing driver without traction- and stability control. The reasons are these electronic gizmos interfere with the natural handling of the car - they deprive you of important information what the car is doing in a particular situation. Also you'll have more success setting up the car, exactly because you get the necessary information to act accordingly - to counter over- or understeer for instance.
Abs is very helpful, it makes you more consistant.
Generally, I encourage you to drive with 'Pro' settings.

In order to get rid of assists, do the following:
  1. Pick a car & track combo you know well
  2. Drive with assists enabled (your current settings of stability control, etc.)
  3. Drive again with pro settings (assists off, except ABS)
  4. After your inevitable "holy s%#?" moment, enable assists again
  5. Now slowly reduce their value (if you drove with 100% stability control, go to 90%, then 80%, ...)
  6. If you found a comfortable spot, save these settings and drive the next couple of days or a week with these
  7. repeat in order: step 3, step 5, step 6, step 7
  8. If you end up with 0% traction- and stability control, congratulations you are one step closer to the driving level "Senna"

To me thats not the question if you cheat or not .. this is just a game so you play anything that is fun for you but the time you thinking you more capable & start looking for more challenge then its time to off those assist one by one.

## As long as you dont edit game file to make it easier then everything else should not consider cheating imo :)

Once you turn the aids off there is no way back, you'll feel you're cheating yourself if you ever turn them back on.

Nothing more challenging than muscling a Ferrari or Pagani between the curbs with no aids on!

I'm wondering where everyone stands with the use of assists.
I run with ABS, traction and stability along with fuel consumption, tyre wear and mech damage.
Is it considered cheating or acceptable if the car has the option?
I understand it takes a lot more skill to drive without these assists, but do not (modern) real cars have this tech for safety reasons?
Can I shake off this cloud of guilt, or do i have to (slowly) wean myself off these assists?:unsure:

The 1st thing I do with any new race sim/game, is switch all aids off and learn the game from scratch. Can't miss what you don't have ;)

Racing with assists on is like dancing in a straitjacket, you just aren't free to do your moves :D.

First thing i do in real life when driving to the grocery store is turning all assists off. I just hate it when the esp cuts power to the rear wheels because of the tiniest bump, the ride feels choppy then.
People do give me the strange looks when i sit in my car with the finger on the DTC button for 5 seconds everytime i start the engine though :laugh:.

I've raced for years (badly I might add) with people/leagues that allow low ABS as the only assist, so the first thing I do in every game is turn them off.

My first practice session in AC I hit Monza with the default Lotus and it felt a bit strange. After the session I checked the various option screens and found that the problem was the assists being turned on.

Fixed that and it felt a lot better.

Weird thing is that my real life car has TC, SC and ABS and it doesn't bother me :roflmao:

I've raced for years (badly I might add) with people/leagues that allow low ABS as the only assist, so the first thing I do in every game is turn them off.

My first practice session in AC I hit Monza with the default Lotus and it felt a bit strange. After the session I checked the various option screens and found that the problem was the assists being turned on.

Weird thing is that my real life car has TC, SC and ABS and it doesn't bother me :roflmao:

[HOPEFULLY] You're not driving your real car on the limit ;)

Maybe your iRL car is a Porsche with the handling of driving GOD Richard Hammond and it very seldom needs those assists ;)

No, just a Chevy, but downsizing this Autumn to something with more fuel economy. It gets less than 35mpg on the Motorway and that's just silly when money is tight and fuel prices are high.

I wish I too could be a Driving God like RH, but I am probably too old to acquire that level of skill :laugh:

I went hot lapping a minute ago, on AC, turned all assists off (PRO) but it seemed to be using ABS during the hot laps (I saw the indicator turn from grey to red a few times). Is it on by default for hot laps, even though Pro setting shows it is off?

If you want fuel efficiency, go electrical. By a Leaf, an iMiev, a Tesla. This is total subjective, I'm somewhat of a crusader for electric vehicles and held many talks in class about electric mobility, so take that as it is.

To your question: yes, if the car supports ABS iRL, it still stays on even with Pro settings. If you want to turn it off, press CTRL+A.

I turn everything off in options but some cars still have abs applied and you can even add TC which is silly in Pro mode. Off should mean off.

Hate the keyboard shortcuts too and we cant assign anything to buttons.

No, just a Chevy, but downsizing this Autumn to something with more fuel economy. It gets less than 35mpg on the Motorway and that's just silly when money is tight and fuel prices are high.

I wish I too could be a Driving God like RH, but I am probably too old to acquire that level of skill :laugh:

I went hot lapping a minute ago, on AC, turned all assists off (PRO) but it seemed to be using ABS during the hot laps (I saw the indicator turn from grey to red a few times). Is it on by default for hot laps, even though Pro setting shows it is off?
That's because driving aids are implemented in two different ways in the game. There are the ones in the launcher, the ones you have turned off, and the in car ones. So if you're driving a car that had ABS or Traction control in real life then it is modelled in the car in game. Press ctrl T for traction control and ctrl A for ABS I think. Once you are driving on pro, you should not have to worry about whether things are fair or not, on or off it's your own choice. As has been said though you can often get better results with aids off.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.7%