Assetto Corsa Xbox 360 Controller Settings

I'm sure it works, but it means there's no way you'd be able to race online, and I wouldn't even feel comfortable getting Steam achievements with edited cars. ;)

Unfortunately, AC just doesn't suit joypads. I've driven pCARS and DiRT Rally on the Xbox One and both work absolutely brilliantly with joypads. I use the same X1 controller on the PC, and AC just doesn't feel right. I had it feeling good at high speed last night, but in slow corners it just twitched around massively.

You can see it best in replays. Because it's very hard to put in precise movements using a controller, games with good controller support seem to 'numb' the input. pCARS and DiRT rally, from external replays, the front wheels move pretty realistically, despite the controller input. AC, the front wheels snap around quite violently - the input movements are not smoothed out like other games. Even if you manage to adapt your driving style to this, in AC you get horrendous front tyre wear because of it. With pCARS having the movements smoothed, it means whilst front tyre wear is worse than rear, it's manageable. But with the sharp movements of AC, you destroy front tyres completely. So the car is not only hard to drive, it causes more wear too. I'm also not sure X360 settings are any good for X1 joypads, as X1 joypads measure the axis differently I think (512 v 256 iirc)

A joypad will never ever be as good as a wheel. That's fine, and I don't think anyone will ever ask for it to be like that. But pCARS and DiRT Rally managed to smooth controller input to make it more manageable, and whilst I prefer AC in most ways to those games, I do wish AC managed controllers as well as them. It is the one thing stopping me from driving more RD events online - I can't be consistent due to the twitchy nature, and I absolutely muller my tyres so 40 minutes just becomes impossible, or not fun.

If im to lazy to bring out my CSWv2 and just use a DS4 i just use my wheel setting but change steering, brake and shift buttons to appropriate for controller but put filter to 1 and speed sensitivity to 6 and can just about match my times but also now use ABS.

Last edited:
After more experimentation I have the magic formula to transform AC using a controller.

I just did a trial lap of Road America in a BMW M3 GT2 with no other change than lowering the LINEAR_STEER_ROD_RATIO in the car.ini file from 0.0031 to 0.0020, so simply by dividing by 3 and multiplying by 2 and rounding it down I came up with that number.

Smooth lap, no twitchyness, none of that horrible tyre squeal, and took over 2 seconds off my best lap, and can do it lap after lap, the car is a joy to drive in total control.

Even the AC people have notes saying because of the complex geometry of the AC cars that the Linear Steer Rod Ratio should be set using a dev app and a wheel for each car. Of course what hope has someone with a controller have, when it's set for a wheel. So changing it to suit a controller makes perfect sense, I hope the AC devs get onto this and have a setting you can change in the pits like gear ratios etc.

If anyone wants to try this just PM me and I can email you the whole data folder for the BMW M3 GT2 it's only 67k, just place it in your car folder and rename your data.acd to data.acd.Orig for example and give it a whirl. To go back to original just remove the data folder and rename you data.acd file again.

Wanted to add one little detail to this thread. I found that using the left trigger for throttle and the right trigger for braking works better than the default, at least for me. When i use the stick i tend to pull it all the way up and steer by making small turns left or right, thus simulating a wheel by running the stick around the upper curvature of the socket, but braking as i approach a curve while my thumb is holding the stick this way often causes me to move it around since it is in the same hand which sometimes leads to catastrophe. Braking on the right trigger allows me to control my steering better, which seems to be more important for braking than accelerating.

To do this i used a program called XInputPlus, which is a bit similar to Xpadder except what it does is put a dll in the folder where the executable of the game is which frees you from having to have it on all the times. Just apply your settings once and close the program and you are set.

BTW, this thread is about the Xbox 360 controller but i'd like to add that i had better luck with the Xbox One controller than my old 360 one. This seems counter intuitive because the Xbox One has smaller, more sensitive sticks than the 360, but for some reason that seems to work better for me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, AC just doesn't suit joypads. I've driven pCARS and DiRT Rally on the Xbox One and both work absolutely brilliantly with joypads. I use the same X1 controller on the PC, and AC just doesn't feel right. I had it feeling good at high speed last night, but in slow corners it just twitched around massively.

You can try the method i just highlighted, but i find amusing you think AC isn't suited for pads. I have never played pCARS or DIRT Rally but i found AC to be really easy to play with a pad, too much in fact, where sometimes i have to wonder whether the game is trying to help me without my knowledge. If you want to know what hell looks like, try playing rFactor 2 with a pad.

Last edited:
How do we assign look left/right using the right thumb stick please?

I can see that the right thumb stick is recognised in the settings as the bar moves when moving the stick, but I cant seem to assign look left/right commands to it.

Thanks for any help

I been using xbox controllers for 10 years but recently I bought a G27 and I hated it. After 2 weeks using it I sold it and bought myself a wireless Xbox controller and I am way faster with it than I ever was with a steering wheel.
My setup config is:
Steering Sensitivity=80%
Steering Speed=100
Gamma=2.4
Filter=0.82
Deadzone=0.23
It rocks and I won't ever use a wheel again.
Well done to kunos for giving us such wonderful tuning controls for an xbox 360 pad I can get any car sideways and balance it without any problems at all now thanks to their genius.

Oh and to James woods I play with no Assists on at all.
nonce

hi guys,
I just wanted to share my setup cause i think the xbox setups are useless.
with this setup its like playing on a xbox or ps and much easier.
its great for race AND drift.
instead of using the xbox menu i use wheel/custom

here is a download link for this setup:

https://mega.co.nz/#!ZJNWTCiJ!hECA-JQh2zViRu8hcVO8IYJZHVCjfdJfJ0vsm09iTBg

save .ini in

documents/assetto corsa/cfg/contollers/savedsetups

for manual setting:

-wheel/custom main

set stearing: use left STICK and set to 40

setup throttle RT. u got more control now

setup brake LT

setup gear up and down ( B & X )

-advanced:

gamma 2.00

filter 0.90

speed seni 0.04

pedal settings: 2.40

trust me, its the best setup u can have with a controller.

feel free to share,

enjoy

edit: speed seni 0.04 for better conering. new link!
unfortunately we have no rumble effects but im looking for a solution
you have to be serious rn, u think that these settings are better than a wheel ? You deffo tough kids mate get a ****ing life

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back