Assetto Corsa V1.9 Sound Preview Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Lamborghini Huracan GT3.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni's Sound Designer and Official Technical Support officer Luca Sodano has shared a pretty epic new video, showcasing the work in progress sound update to Assetto Corsa, due to form part of the next major patch for the title.

Coming in at just over five minutes in length, Sodano shows off the impressive improvements made with the Fmod tool across a number of cars. The video (seen below) takes in a on-board and replay cam footage of the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 around the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit.

Assetto Corsa (beta) - Fmod 1.08.12 internal testing (WIP) - AI cars Video

The video, shot as an audio level peak test during internal testing for the new build, features 23 AI cars and achieves a 15 % Fmod usage average percentage, peaking at a maximum of 24%.

Audio in Assetto Corsa has come in for criticism from some corners of the community, with some players even going so far as to create their own Fmod sound packs to download. One such pack, made by well know community member Fonsecker, covers no less than 35 cars across three releases, creating a must have package for many Assetto Corsa players (download here). However the team over at Kunos have been working hard to address some of the know weaker areas of the audio experience in recent builds, and the new preview once again shows some impressive progress. Still not quite on the level of acknowledged industry leaders RaceRoom Racing Experience, the new preview does offer up a considerable improvement over the current offerings from the studio.

Release date for the latest build of Assetto Corsa has not yet been confirmed by the studio, however stay tuned to RaceDepartment for all the news as it happens...

The Assetto Corsa sub forum at RaceDepartment is the best source of mods for the sim. Check out our substantial archive, take part in the Modding Discussion forum, join the discussion and consume the latest news. If that isn't enough, head over to the Racing Clubs and Leagues section to find yourself some epic online racing!

Looking forward to the sound update? How do you think AC compares to its rivals in the sound department? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
You are pretty much acting like their in house clean up crew. Not good at all.
Hi RC45,

We have terms of service (otherwise known as rules) which all members must adhere too. We try not to ban people where possible, but rather push them in the right direction. Obviously in some instances a ban is the only thing available.

We clean up our own forum to the standards of our rules regardless of whether you're speaking positively, negatively or otherwise about a game/subject. We allow people to give their opinions provided it is done so in a respectful manner.

For practical reasons we cannot have eyes everywhere on the forums (there are a lot of sub-forums to cover!) so if you see someone who is breaking the rules, please hit the report button and we can deal with it.

Guys, please behave and think for a few seconds before you click "post reply".

Probably most need a minute or two judging from the comments.

Basically imagine your friends or family (who aren't familiar with the site, sim racing, Assetto, or any of it) were in the room and you said out loud what you just typed.

If it didn't sound like you're a ranting and raving lunatic or you assumed to be a jerk...you should be good.

That's the filter I use (now-a-days) :/

People will see your point clearly without detracting from the ultimate subject.

Hi RC45,

We have terms of service (otherwise known as rules) which all members must adhere too. We try not to ban people where possible, but rather push them in the right direction. Obviously in some instances a ban is the only thing available.

We clean up our own forum to the standards of our rules regardless of whether you're speaking positively, negatively or otherwise about a game/subject. We allow people to give their opinions provided it is done so in a respectful manner.

For practical reasons we cannot have eyes everywhere on the forums (there are a lot of sub-forums to cover!) so if you see someone who is breaking the rules, please hit the report button and we can deal with it.

Fair enough. Makes perfect sense.

Please, Is it just possible to have an answer directly from the sound designer of Kunos about this fact !?
The backfire sounds are implemented into this game, and since Assetto Corsa version 1.5, are synchronised for playback with the visual event. The audibility of backfires is dependent on the quality of the speaker/headphones you use, and how loud the sounds are designed in the FMOD project for each car, where it may be more prevalent than others.

The backfire sounds are implemented into this game, and since Assetto Corsa version 1.5, are synchronised for playback with the visual event. The audibility of backfires is dependent on the quality of the speaker/headphones you use, and how loud the sounds are designed in the FMOD project for each car, where it may be more prevalent than others.
Thank you for answering me ! ;-)

Well, I'm a little bit disappointed by your answer.
I'm really a sound lover and I got HiFi components like a Cyrus as integrated amplifier and other great quality pieces, that's for my auditive and musical passion.

I always added internal soundcards for my PC and actually I'm using the SoundBlaster Z with very good speakers (in 2.1), and indeed I must say that the backfires sound very well, clearly and synchronized perfectly in "Dirt Rally", for example.
I gave up "Project Cars" because the global sound design is... It doesn't satisfy me at all !
For Assetto Corsa, I'm very please about the global quality of the sound design (and the graphics, and the handling... I really appreciate this simulation).
For example, I love to drive the Lotus 98T, a true "beast" and when I saw replay, I noticed that It shows the backfires and... I was puzzled by the produced sound near... nothing.
I'm not here by criticism in a negative way, I love this game but I'm a little bit disappointed by some things in the sound design.
I'm waiting for the update with patience so... wait and hear ! ;-)

Thank you again for having take time to reply me ! ;-)

Last edited:

Thats strange as I dont hear any backfires or pops with any of the GT3 cars. I do hear them for example when backing off the throttle with the GT40 though.

Thats strange as I dont hear any backfires or pops with any of the GT3 cars. I do hear them for example when backing off the throttle with the GT40 though.
Well, there is another player who shares my audio feeling about this simulation. ;-)

After my reply, I played again and drove the Lotus 98T wich had, in real situation, tremendous backfires sound (as many other cars wich are in the game too)... NOTHING and It makes me really sad !

I can clearly hear the turbo wistle and several environment or special effects... no sounds about the backfire and, for a quality simulation as "Assetto Corsa", It's very annoying for mechanic and racing lovers !
I want to say that I don't use any pack sounds, only the original files.

For these fact and with patience, I'm very curious about the modifications will be implemented by the 1.9 version. ;-)

Sorry for the people who doesn't care about sounds fidelity but, here, this is in an essential component for a great and immersive experience when you love as me and many other players, those amazing mechanics.

I repeat, I gave up quickly "Project Cars" because, in my opinion, this game is clearly really bad sound designed.

Last but not least, I love hard simulations with great physics.
I spent very much time on "Grand-Prix Legends" or "Nascar 2003" for example and I am satisfy with it in "Assetto Corsa" but, when you make a huge game considered as THE simulation, you must not deserve it by a sound design not well done as the graphics and the physics. ;-)

Last edited:
Assetto Corsa does have backfire sounds though. Maybe run an integrity check through Steam or make a bug report if it's still not there with your audio setup.
Well, I think you'll be right and I'm doing a check via Steam.
I watched some recent videos with the Lotus 98T, I heard clearly the backfires sound ! ;-)
I will be back to tell you if it will be cured but... thank you so much to have open this way ! ;)

@Caton XII
Backfires can be heard and it happens like NeverKrash said in the above post.

Take the example of a GT3 car like the Nissan and notice the bangs when slowing down for a corner.
If you watch from exterior camera you'll notice both the sound and the backfire, but I think it sounds differently inside the car and watching from outside.

Hello and thank you all for your replies and your advices ! ;)

So, I completly removed "Assetto Corsa" and deleted all the files, It didn't care about it and a total refresh can be a good thing ! :thumbsup:

Well, I still annoyed... the backfire effect is really poor indeed.
In a cockpit view (the view that I'm always using), I can hear this sound but It stills far away from other simulations.
In an external view... nothing only some crackles when you are downshifting.

At last, I will continue to wait a great sound improvment with the 1.9 version wich will be available very shortly now..! ;)

Thank you again for your help and your replies, very much appreciated here. :thumbsup:;)

Yea, I mean in external view they should sound like gunshots. It does depend on the car of course, not every car will make those kind of noises, however I can't recall many cars making such sounds. The F40 does have a popping / rumble which sounds pretty good as does the GT40.

Some cars (in real life) will bang on upshifts as well as downshifts.

Yea, I mean in external view they should sound like gunshots. It does depend on the car of course, not every car will make those kind of noises, however I can't recall many cars making such sounds. The F40 does have a popping / rumble which sounds pretty good as does the GT40.

Some cars (in real life) will bang on upshifts as well as downshifts.
I completly agree your reply ! :thumbsup:

Well, I still annoyed... the backfire effect is really poor indeed.
In a cockpit view (the view that I'm always using), I can hear this sound but It stills far away from other simulations.
In an external view... nothing only some crackles when you are downshifting.
But how much of what you want to hear (the backfires) is actually heard inside the real car? Try to find some youtube evidence from onboard sound and see if we can identify the backfire sound.

At last, I will continue to wait a great sound improvment with the 1.9 version wich will be available very shortly now..! ;)
Yes also looking forward to this and to the next, as Luca talked about further improvements to sound-physics relations they want to do but didn't have time for this update. This next sound update is important as all this work will open the road for other parts in the car sound design.

Backfire is generally dampened in cars but it should still be audible. The less sound deadening a car has the more you hear from outside the car of course. In Assetto Corsa too you'll hear it best in open cars like the old F1, Cobra or Lotus 2-Eleven, no rolling down the windows sadly. :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 258 13.5%