Assetto Corsa v1.6 & JDM Car Pack Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AC JDLC.jpg

Assetto Corsa has today updated to version 1.6 bringing a host of new features alongside pre-Alpha Virtual Reality support and the Japanese DLC Car Pack.

Backed by a sizable changelog perhaps the hot topic of today's new update is the surprise inclusion of the pre-alpha support for Virtual Reality headsets, a move inspired by the recent Kunos community questionnaire asking what features community members wish to see included in the title.

Other notable additions in the latest update includes the new addition of 4 wheel steering courtesy of the Nissan Skyline and Mazda RX7 as well as a work in progress All-Wheel-Drive transmission code.

As well as today's update, Assetto Corsa fans can now purchase the much anticipated Japanese Car Pack which features 7 new Japanese vehicles including the Mazda MX-5 Cup racing car and Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline V-Spec.

Japanese Car Pack full car list:
  • Mazda MX-5 2015
  • Mazda MX-5 CUP
  • Mazda RX-7 Spirit R + tuned version
  • Toyota Supra MK IV + time attack and drift version
  • Toyota AE86 Trueno + tuned and drift version
  • Nissan 370Z NISMO 2016
  • Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline V-Spec

Changelog 1.6.0
  • Oculus Rift SDK 1.3 (WIP Pre Alpha) – Fixed self shadowing on tyres
  • Fixed wrong log output
  • Dynamic controllers for turbo boost
  • Added RPMS input to dynamic controllers – Implementation of Scalable Apps
  • Fixed replay Interface
  • Fixed setup info screen
  • Fixed race non progression when player is not moving
  • Improved MP collision system
  • Improved AI fuel handling
  • Fixed Hotlap Mode unlocking achievement through not valid laps – Fixed deltaT for renderAudio
  • Bodywork and horn volumes uses engineVolume – Bodywork’s smoothvalue use a different alpha
  • Added analogic placeholder for car modellers
  • Added option to draw driver’s label on focused car (system\cfg\name_displayer.ini -> DRAW_FOCUSEDCAR)
  • Fixed CameraCar bad nearplane when forcing camera mode change (see exiting from replay)
  • Implementation of Chat App (system\cfg\chat_app.ini)
  • SharedMemory: Moved AirTemp/RoadTemp from Static to Physics, old values in static are deprecated
  • Timing use also the hour/minutes format
  • Fixed GoToPits Cheat to start from the pits.
  • Added 4 Wheel Steer systems (Nissan Skyline , Mazda RX7)
  • acServerManager : storing Driver data also save the current model/skin, so through drag&drop the saved skin can be used on a new slot)
  • Added flags indications for completed session in leaderboards
  • F9 overlay leaderboard is now avoiding red colours for better differentiation of opponent proximity indicators
  • Added new [ASSETTO_CORSA] SIMULATION_VALUE parameter. Increase the number to increase simulation value. Defaults to 0 for obvious reasons
  • Engine performance is now dependent on air density/temperature
  • New AWD transmission code, still WIP (Nissan Skyline & Alfa 155)
  • Fixed pitstop window not appearing when AI retired some car
  • Experimental heating corrections on semislick tyres for Lotus 2-11, Exige Scura, Exige 240 and S3, Lotus Elise SC, KTM X-Bow, Mazda MX5 ND, Toyota AE86 Tuned and Drift
  • BOP for GT3 cars
  • Improved Mercedes AMG GT3 data

Important Notes

How to Use the Oculus CV1 in Assetto Corsa:
Assetto Corsa includes the first pre-alpha support for Oculus for in-game sessions. Run Oculus Home, select “settings”, “general” and enable “Unknown sources”. Then, launch Assetto Corsa: using the launcher, in options/video/display select “Oculus WIP support” as rendering mode. Then, set your favourite driving session, click the start button and put on your Oculus. Once the session is loaded, you can use the mouse pointer to navigate the in-game menu and use and set the apps as you like.

Using Oculus with Microsoft Xbox-One Pad/Steering Wheel:
Regardless of the controller you use with Assetto Corsa, in this version you need a mouse/keyboard to control the GUI and access the ESC menu.

Sounds:
By default, Assetto Corsa does not yet feature sounds through the Oculus headset. To use it, you need to enable the Rift headset in your Windows settings. To do it, right click on the speaker icon (you can find the icon in the bottom-right of your Windows desktop) and set Rift headset as default playing device.

Driver position:
Press CTRL+SPACE to reset the driver position using the Oculus. Using other driving devices, you can reset the driver position pressing look left + look right commands at the same time.

Exposure:
You can reduce/increase the brightness pressing PgUp/PgDn.

The Japanese Car Pack DLC is available to purchase from the steam store now for £3.99. For a limited period of time gamers can save 40% off the retail price on the title and pick the game up for just £17.99.

Keep an eye out for some great new community created skins for these latest cars in our RaceDepartment Assetto Corsa Mods section.

RaceDepartment hold many great racing events using the Assetto Corsa software, check out our Assetto Corsa Racing Club for your chance to book a place on the grid at one of our many great racing nights.

AC Japanese DLC - RX7.jpg AC Japanese DLC - Supra 2.jpg AC Japanese DLC - Supra.jpg AC Japanese DLC .jpg AC Japanese DLC 2.jpg AC Japanese DLC 3.jpg AC Japanese DLC 5.jpg AC Japanese DLC 7.jpg

Have you tried the new update and DLC pack yet? What is your car of choice from the new pack? Do you think the CV1 support has been successful? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
From 31 DEC 2015
I bought Assetto Corsa when they announced the Toyota license. LMP1 was cool but the AE86 was the "instant buy" moment. Legit non-mod content for my car. I have been waiting oh so patiently...

Yes that it me in my avatar. Yes it is me going sideways. It is my favorite car. Period. I fear when this gets released I wont see the sun for days. I may lose my job too. Such is the Assetto Corsa life.

FINALLY! MY DAY HAS COME!!

Just in time for getting the second coat of primer on and getting the body ready for paint.

WP_20160519_13_37_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20160519_17_03_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20160519_17_03_48_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I think @William Wester brings up a good point about sim preferences. We discussed this in another post about which sim was the best. My position when it comes to determining what sim is better than others comes down to how it communicates with me to let me know what the car is doing. When I compare the cars that are similar in my sims, say the GT3 cars, I'm am comparing not only how they handle but how much information comes through my wheel.

@Torcano @William Wester it seems this debate can easily be explained by dividing the camps between car enthusiast and "race car" driver mentality. The former has more of an attachment to cars and the latter doesn't. Race car drivers want the latest and greatest because in theory it is faster. Why drive a 458GT3 when there is an 488GT3 for example. As a professional you want to have the best weapon for the job. AC has sufficient "road cars" for newbies to learn the skills; however, as the name Assetto Corsa implies it is does not strike me as a Sunday driving game. So I guess the question is what fan base does AC want to support more, the car enthusiast or the race car drivers? They seem to find a happy median [hopefully], but judging by the Japanese DLC price point they probably couldn't have charged more money for it because it was mostly road cars. If a DLC included the 488, 2016 R8, Bentley, Aston Martin, M6, and/or Porsche GT3 variants could they charge more money? IMO, I would say, yes. In particular now that GT3 cars are made to be driven fast--easily. You can see the difference between pro/am lap times as a (historical) function of time. I personally want to use AC as a race car simulator; however, I purchased the DLC to support the developers. Do I want to drive a Corolla in the game? Not really. So I am biased. Can you get some great racing with the road cars, IMO yes.

Last edited:
@Torcano @William Wester it seems this debate can easily be explained by dividing the camps between car enthusiast and "race car" driver mentality. The former has more of an attachment to cars and the latter doesn't. Race car drivers want the latest and greatest because in theory it is faster. Why drive a 458GT3 when there is an 488GT3 for example. As a professional you want to have the best weapon for the job. AC has sufficient "road cars" for newbies to learn the skills; however, as the name Assetto Corsa implies it is does not strike me as a Sunday driving game. So I guess the question is what fan base does AC want to support more, the car enthusiast or the race car drivers? They seem to find a happy median [hopefully], but judging by the Japanese DLC price point they probably couldn't have charged more money for it because it was mostly road cars. If a DLC included the 488, 2016 R8, Bentley, Aston Martin, M6, and/or Porsche GT3 variants could they charge more money? IMO, I would say, yes. In particular now that GT3 cars are made to be driving fast easily. You can see the difference between pro/am lap times as a (historical) function of time. I personally want to use AC as a race car simulator; however, I purchase the DLC to support the developers. Do I want to drive a Corolla in the game? Not really. So I am biased. Can you get some great racing with the road cars, IMO yes.

Nicely said.

I am more of a race driver then a car enthousiast. I dont really care what car im driving i get my thrill of driving whatever car to its limit, preferably wheel to wheel. I dont care how a car looks or its history, i care about how it drives and performs on the track. I dont like the slow and sluggish street cars even if you can have good racing with them. I rather be driving a high power high downforce rear wheel drive race spec car.

Brandon, ideally you could if Kunos had large resources like Turn 10 Studios; however, they don't. So, they have to make choices or people will go elsewhere. They are honing the model to have two revenue sources. One from us gamers and the other from the companies that want to source the code for their modeling and simulation. I think they are also influenced by the community through their polls (on the forum). I guess sometimes the race cars get more votes and sometimes they don't.

If a DLC included the 488, 2016 R8, Bentley, Aston Martin, M6, and/or Porsche GT3 variants could they charge more money? IMO, I would say, yes. In particular now that GT3 cars are made to be driven fast--easily. You can see the difference between pro/am lap times as a (historical) function of time. I personally want to use AC as a race car simulator; however, I purchased the DLC to support the developers. Do I want to drive a Corolla in the game? Not really. So I am biased. Can you get some great racing with the road cars, IMO yes.
They've already kinda done that (2nd DLC was 3 GT3s, 2 of them updates on brands they already had) so I guess they'll be able to tell which kind of cars actually sell well. Maybe they have some stats on what people actually choose to drive too, they did mention knowing which features get used.

I thought Assetto Corsa basically meant 'track day car' in English but I don't really know.

• Deleted member 130869

I thought Assetto Corsa basically meant 'track day car' in English but I don't really know.

Corsa is race, assetto I think translates to something like "ready", so Ready to Race. But my Italian is quite rusty.

Yeah... I really want to like the game, but even disregarding the lack of features and things to do, the driving just doesn't feel right to me. I mean, some of the more powerful cars are fun, because there's at least something going on there, but the dynamics just feel dumb down for me.

Maybe we're just to good :p

I am wondering why on earth all of you guys who complain about AC 24/7 are spending half of your day logged in the official forums doing countless posts since this game is clearly not good enough for you.
Is it that your lives are so empty that you have nothing better to do or because you actually like the game but u love to moan like really young children....

My post was edited.

Last edited:
In terms of both 1.6 and the Japanese DLC, I really am very happy to see the changes to the Alfa 155. It is totally transformed. I didn't really find it all that fun to drive before, it was a challenge yes, but fun? It kinda understeered a lot, then oversteered at certain moments. Anyhow, the car handles much better and there is very controllable oversteer now.

In terms of the DLC, I think this will be the first one I don't buy, it's just not for me. I am just not that into road cars or drifting, in fact I have zero interest in drifting. It does depend though, if it was a pack of classic Ferrari road cars, then I'm sure I'd bite, however I am generally a "race car" man.

Last edited:
The Mx5 Cup alone, that is a race car, is worth the price (5€!), not counting the Supra MKIV TA that is not really a road cars.
In this DLC there are drift cars, that I don't like and don't use at all, but also with a full drift DLC I would buy it as well, because I like AC and Kunos deserve support from petrolheads.

The Mx5 Cup alone, that is a race car, is worth the price (5€!), not counting the Supra MKIV TA that is not really a road cars.
In this DLC there are drift cars, that I don't like and don't use at all, but also with a full drift DLC I would buy it as well, because I like AC and Kunos deserve support from petrolheads.
Well considering that I have spent probably something in the region of £500+ doing research, gathering images, purchasing recording kit, travelling to race tracks, giving up my own free time, on mod projects all for no return (we don't even have a donation page) for AC's and the community's benefit I feel like I give enough of my time energy and money towards this as it is.

Not that I mind of course, it's like having a hobby and I get enjoyment out of giving something back to the community, but I feel I support AC in my own way, by trying to produce content at the highest possible quality that we can.

Last edited:
They've already kinda done that (2nd DLC was 3 GT3s, 2 of them updates on brands they already had) so I guess they'll be able to tell which kind of cars actually sell well. Maybe they have some stats on what people actually choose to drive too, they did mention knowing which features get used.

This is a rant, not directed at you Stereo but going off of your comment as a starting point...

Of course they have data, heck, just looking at the server browser right now at a peak time - 2:30 local, evening time in Europe on a Saturday - and the server browser is full of street car "track days", MX5 races and GT2/GT3 races.

People want to whine the game needs more race cars, but you have cars like the C9 (and coming "officialness" of the 787B) and the F1 GTR. Lotus 49, 25, Exos, Ferrari 312 also end up falling into this same issue... Right now online, I see about a total of 10 people using them. 6 cars, 10 people. 6 people were driving the Exos in 3 different servers.

I could also add in the highly anticipated early 90s DTM cars - which sit with a thin film of dust covering them as they stay in the corner unloved, depressed, longing to bang doors once again.

People want to whine that there aren't enough race cars, meanwhile those non-GT3 race cars are almost never used outside league or offline play. Somehow I'm not convinced these cars sit gathering dust because people don't like them. Group C? Check. 90s GT1? Check. 3 very different eras of F1 greats? Check. Badass 90s touring cars? Check.

I mean really, what more is needed? Group 5? IMSA GT? Suddenly those cars would just be super active and really popular - right? Just like all those other awesome race cars you are busy not using?

Let's give one of those cars a friend. The McLaren needs a pal, and we'll add the F40 LM / GTE for example. It's pretty much outclassed by the F1 GTR though it is it's period correct competition. Are these guys going to drive it once they realize it's a second a lap slower? People bitch that they don't have "friends" (myself included) - but what 95% of people seem to forget is that for online / league play it doesn't matter because everyone will take the clearly superior car.

Re : Classic F1s - one of the things that made GPL amazing was the fact the cars were all different and not all competitive. With the community as it is today, we'd have seen "league edition" mods transforming the Cooper and BRM into Lotus 49s - "because it's more fair". It may be fair, but it also defeats the point of having that car.

So what is the point? Why add more cars when no one will drive them, or when people will just wish they were the same as the car that is already available? It's asinine. Oh, and there are just as many race cars as there are in most other sims...

Not enough race cars? No, there is actually a fair bit of them representing a pretty well filled out variety, people just aren't using them - while complaining there aren't enough...

Signed,
Guy who isn't an AC fanboy but is tired of this community being stupid for the sake of being stupid.

Last edited:
Or maybe people isn't that much stupid and instead you made a mistake by just looking at online servers to elaborate your rant.

For example, this link alone strongly contradicts what you said.

Then where are the people using the mods?

You know what happens - people download, play for a bit, then move on to the next shiny thing. If anything it reinforces my post as there are even tons more race cars available over what is included out of the box...

Forgive me, but I'm not convinced the offline player base is that radically different than the online player base in terms of general car selection, nor any other sim where the same "issues" occur.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%