Assetto Corsa v1.6 & JDM Car Pack Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AC JDLC.jpg

Assetto Corsa has today updated to version 1.6 bringing a host of new features alongside pre-Alpha Virtual Reality support and the Japanese DLC Car Pack.

Backed by a sizable changelog perhaps the hot topic of today's new update is the surprise inclusion of the pre-alpha support for Virtual Reality headsets, a move inspired by the recent Kunos community questionnaire asking what features community members wish to see included in the title.

Other notable additions in the latest update includes the new addition of 4 wheel steering courtesy of the Nissan Skyline and Mazda RX7 as well as a work in progress All-Wheel-Drive transmission code.

As well as today's update, Assetto Corsa fans can now purchase the much anticipated Japanese Car Pack which features 7 new Japanese vehicles including the Mazda MX-5 Cup racing car and Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline V-Spec.

Japanese Car Pack full car list:
  • Mazda MX-5 2015
  • Mazda MX-5 CUP
  • Mazda RX-7 Spirit R + tuned version
  • Toyota Supra MK IV + time attack and drift version
  • Toyota AE86 Trueno + tuned and drift version
  • Nissan 370Z NISMO 2016
  • Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline V-Spec

Changelog 1.6.0
  • Oculus Rift SDK 1.3 (WIP Pre Alpha) – Fixed self shadowing on tyres
  • Fixed wrong log output
  • Dynamic controllers for turbo boost
  • Added RPMS input to dynamic controllers – Implementation of Scalable Apps
  • Fixed replay Interface
  • Fixed setup info screen
  • Fixed race non progression when player is not moving
  • Improved MP collision system
  • Improved AI fuel handling
  • Fixed Hotlap Mode unlocking achievement through not valid laps – Fixed deltaT for renderAudio
  • Bodywork and horn volumes uses engineVolume – Bodywork’s smoothvalue use a different alpha
  • Added analogic placeholder for car modellers
  • Added option to draw driver’s label on focused car (system\cfg\name_displayer.ini -> DRAW_FOCUSEDCAR)
  • Fixed CameraCar bad nearplane when forcing camera mode change (see exiting from replay)
  • Implementation of Chat App (system\cfg\chat_app.ini)
  • SharedMemory: Moved AirTemp/RoadTemp from Static to Physics, old values in static are deprecated
  • Timing use also the hour/minutes format
  • Fixed GoToPits Cheat to start from the pits.
  • Added 4 Wheel Steer systems (Nissan Skyline , Mazda RX7)
  • acServerManager : storing Driver data also save the current model/skin, so through drag&drop the saved skin can be used on a new slot)
  • Added flags indications for completed session in leaderboards
  • F9 overlay leaderboard is now avoiding red colours for better differentiation of opponent proximity indicators
  • Added new [ASSETTO_CORSA] SIMULATION_VALUE parameter. Increase the number to increase simulation value. Defaults to 0 for obvious reasons
  • Engine performance is now dependent on air density/temperature
  • New AWD transmission code, still WIP (Nissan Skyline & Alfa 155)
  • Fixed pitstop window not appearing when AI retired some car
  • Experimental heating corrections on semislick tyres for Lotus 2-11, Exige Scura, Exige 240 and S3, Lotus Elise SC, KTM X-Bow, Mazda MX5 ND, Toyota AE86 Tuned and Drift
  • BOP for GT3 cars
  • Improved Mercedes AMG GT3 data

Important Notes

How to Use the Oculus CV1 in Assetto Corsa:
Assetto Corsa includes the first pre-alpha support for Oculus for in-game sessions. Run Oculus Home, select “settings”, “general” and enable “Unknown sources”. Then, launch Assetto Corsa: using the launcher, in options/video/display select “Oculus WIP support” as rendering mode. Then, set your favourite driving session, click the start button and put on your Oculus. Once the session is loaded, you can use the mouse pointer to navigate the in-game menu and use and set the apps as you like.

Using Oculus with Microsoft Xbox-One Pad/Steering Wheel:
Regardless of the controller you use with Assetto Corsa, in this version you need a mouse/keyboard to control the GUI and access the ESC menu.

Sounds:
By default, Assetto Corsa does not yet feature sounds through the Oculus headset. To use it, you need to enable the Rift headset in your Windows settings. To do it, right click on the speaker icon (you can find the icon in the bottom-right of your Windows desktop) and set Rift headset as default playing device.

Driver position:
Press CTRL+SPACE to reset the driver position using the Oculus. Using other driving devices, you can reset the driver position pressing look left + look right commands at the same time.

Exposure:
You can reduce/increase the brightness pressing PgUp/PgDn.

The Japanese Car Pack DLC is available to purchase from the steam store now for £3.99. For a limited period of time gamers can save 40% off the retail price on the title and pick the game up for just £17.99.

Keep an eye out for some great new community created skins for these latest cars in our RaceDepartment Assetto Corsa Mods section.

RaceDepartment hold many great racing events using the Assetto Corsa software, check out our Assetto Corsa Racing Club for your chance to book a place on the grid at one of our many great racing nights.

AC Japanese DLC - RX7.jpg AC Japanese DLC - Supra 2.jpg AC Japanese DLC - Supra.jpg AC Japanese DLC .jpg AC Japanese DLC 2.jpg AC Japanese DLC 3.jpg AC Japanese DLC 5.jpg AC Japanese DLC 7.jpg

Have you tried the new update and DLC pack yet? What is your car of choice from the new pack? Do you think the CV1 support has been successful? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't buy the pack, mostly because I have iRacing and after spending a season running the MX-5 in rookies, I hope to never have to drive a Miata in a sim for as long as I live. :rolleyes:

Appreciate new cars coming out, but these cars didn't really do it for me.

How about some F1 cars? How about Rallycross? How about more vintage cars and tracks?

I think @William Wester brings up a good point about sim preferences. We discussed this in another post about which sim was the best. My position when it comes to determining what sim is better than others comes down to how it communicates with me to let me know what the car is doing. When I compare the cars that are similar in my sims, say the GT3 cars, I'm am comparing not only how they handle but how much information comes through my wheel. In every case, A/C feels better than Iracing and PCARS. Same can be said for RaceRoom and rFactor, they both have excellent FFB, IMO. It will be hard for me to go back to MX Cup races in Iracing because of how good the A/C version feels in contrast.

To the point of race cars vs. street cars, I'd say that race cars in sims are all good and well but I think they can mask pure driving skill a bit (don't throw the daggers, just yet. lol) What I mean is that they have everything needed to go as fast as possible...slicks, crazy downforce, etc. In a street car or even an older race car, you have less performance so it's up to you as the driver to figure out how to get the most from that car. That's not to say that you don't need skill for race cars, because obviously you do, if it were easy, we'd all be racing drivers IRL. I'm just saying that having a car that doesn't stop or turn on a dime requires a fundamental understanding of driving and car control that may be numbed a bit in race car. Hence why real racing drivers start off in vehicles that have mechanical grip as opposed to aero. They are taught how to control the car first before given the chance to drive faster cars with more performance features.

I had the opportunity a few years ago to partake in a track day, in my then, Honda Accord. I was hesitant to register because it was an Accord, not a sports car and certainly not a tack built race car. But as it was explained to me, track days aren't about just driving fast in fast cars, they are about learning the skills needed to be a better driver. If you want proof, go to a track event and see a guy in a Lambo, getting lapped by a guy in a rented Mustang. It's not just about the car.

When I go to track day events, most of the cars on track, are road cars. Sure there are some guys who come out in their fully built track cars and that's great but the majority of guys are in everything from normal daily drivers to sports cars..Vette's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, etc. The instructors at these events never stress the car, yet being a better driver is always the focus, regardless of the vehicle...ie, driver skill. For that reason alone, is why I like street cars in sims; because they make me focus more on driving than controlling a monster racing machine. A/C is my primary sim because it ticks all of my boxes...excellent ffb and physics, good combination of race and road cars and good sound and graphics. It's not perfect but what is in life?

AGAIN, I'm not knocking race cars or anyone who prefers them, I'm just giving my opinion as to why I enjoy both.

I find these threads interesting because it shows how you can take a group of people, all doing the same thing but for a myriad of different reasons and perspectives. Good stuff.

I for one I'm glad that atleast one sim has street cars in it. Simply because I have the misfortune of being a car nut born in a country with ZERO car culture, unless you are into piddly three cylinder diesel econoboxes then sure we got a massive scene for those. I rarely if ever see any sports cars here, or will ever own one in my life even if I can buy one because they literally don't exist over here... and on top of that our import laws are so archaic that I'd probably have to end up selling my house if I wanted to import a beater miata (a bit exaggerated for dramatic effect but you get my point). And so the only place I can drive them is in sims, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people in my position who like driving cars that they find fascinating and admire. It's all about perspective. Hurr Durr SimRacing Srs Bzns #pretendracecardriver lookatme so high so mighty is all well and good but once again, all comes down to individual opinion... totally pointless in the end. I find street cars just as enjoyable to drive as race cars so I'd like Kunos to keep producing them. I don't think AC is a lesser sim just because it features road cars. And I doubt it's going the direction of Forza/GT just because they released a DLC with street cars as a focus, because last I checked AC as a whole had a pretty even split of race cars vs road cars, and if you consider that like 10 of the 50 odd road cars are various Lotuses/Lotii/Lotus thingies, AC actually has a road car deficit IMO. :)
You definitely have a point, and the point I was making with different strokes for different folks. We all don't have the same interest, no right/wrong view. Buy/play whatever is of interest, we have a lot of choices today. When someone attempts to elevate one particular sim to the top of the heap there will be disappointments, and aurguments.

@William Levesque
Have you been using Gyro ffb? Because to me this is an interesting aspect on how we feel and handle the cars. Not talking about raw grip of the car, but about the driver-car connection through the steering wheel.
With Gyro on your steering wheel (also using a G27, on 100% overall forces) you're facing more dynamic dampening in various moments. And this happens in slides/drifts, in counter steering, in fighting back the counter steering, when see-sawing the steering, when trying to recover. But at the same time the car feels more precise, for example at turn-ins and through the corner.

With Gyro off the steering wheel forces let you do of the car more what you want. More easily bypassing and overriding the counter steering, more easily recovering the car. But in real life you don't have this easiness, more because the steering wheel action isn't as straight forward and the reaction between driver and car gets delayed in a recovery/slide because you're fighting more the steering forces than when using gyro off in AC.

A real example of that is what Aris talked about in ktm xbow r AC vs real life:
Something we do not/can’t simulate and if we do there would probably be a public outrage. The steering wheel was extremely heavy and “damped”. Many of the “nervous” drifts you’ll see on the video were caused by both my inability to see where I was because of the sun flare, but also because the steering wheel would not turn freely where it should and that was catching me a bit off guard. When later in the day I started to turn the wheel “on my own” I could catch much better and longer drifts, but on the first 3 laps I was a bit too nervous. It wasn’t that the tyres or the aero was making the car nervous, which they did a bit, but it was mainly me not trusting the car too much and catching the drifts a bit too early or too late.

And this can be simply checked in game by trying to drive, slide, and attempt to recover the ktm in game with gyro off and then with gyro on. The natural difficulties will appear with gyro on. I don't know how perfected this is technically in the game, but is a better step in the direction of steering wheel forces realism for the sim driver, simply because of the gyroscopic effects not letting you so easily control the car. You can still recover and quickly counter steer with it on, but all the circumstances will be transmitted to the driver with more difficulties, as is often the case with controlling the car in real life, on a car by car case. Gyro off makes it more simple for the sim driver.

Last edited:
@William Levesque
Have you been using Gyro ffb? Because to me this is an interesting aspect on how we feel and handle the cars. Not talking about raw grip of the car, but about the driver-car connection through the steering wheel.
With Gyro on your steering wheel (also using a G27, on 100% overall forces) you're facing more dynamic dampening in various moments. And this happens in slides/drifts, in counter steering, in fighting back the counter steering, when see-sawing the steering, when trying to recover. But at the same time the car feels more precise, for example at turn-ins and through the corner.

With Gyro off the steering wheel forces let you do of the car more what you want. More easily bypassing and overriding the counter steering, more easily recovering the car. But in real life you don't have this easiness, more because the steering wheel action isn't as straight forward and the reaction between driver and car gets delayed in a recovery/slide because you're fighting more the steering forces than when using gyro off in AC.

A real example of that is what Aris talked about in ktm xbow r AC vs real life:

And this can be simply checked in game by trying to drive, slide, and attempt to recover the ktm in game with gyro off and then with gyro on. The natural difficulties will appear with gyro on. I don't know how perfected this is technically in the game, but is a better step in the direction of steering wheel forces realism for the sim driver, simply because of the gyroscopic effects not letting you so easily control the car. You can still recover and quickly counter steer with it on, but all the circumstances will be transmitted to the driver with more difficulties, as is often the case with controlling the car in real life, on a car by car case. Gyro off makes it more simple for the sim driver.
Nay, FFB has nothing to do with it. It's all about the tyres (probably some other factors too, but those you can't really feel).

Nay, FFB has nothing to do with it. It's all about the tyres (probably some other factors too, but those you can't really feel).
But since with Gyro you face more difficulties in counter steering and recovering the car, it already impacts car handling in such situations. Default ffb lets you override the car dynamics more easily, simply because you can do better things with the steering wheel in the sim than you'd do with it on the real life car, and Gyro is a step in that direction of handling.

I think @William Wester To the point of race cars vs. street cars, I'd say that race cars in sims are all good and well but I think they can mask pure driving skill a bit (don't throw the daggers, just yet. lol) What I mean is that they have everything needed to go as fast as possible...slicks, crazy downforce, etc. In a street car or even an older race car, you have less performance so it's up to you as the driver to figure out how to get the most from that car. That's not to say that you don't need skill for race cars, because obviously you do, if it were easy, we'd all be racing drivers IRL. I'm just saying that having a car that doesn't stop or turn on a dime requires a fundamental understanding of driving and car control that may be numbed a bit in race car.

This. For pure driving pleasure I'd choose ridiculous street cars over modern race cars any time because you have to actually drive those monsters. You have to make them stop, you have to make them turn, you have to fight with the traction... With the race cars it's more or less just a smoothness and precision.

And.. ..give racer a bicycle and he will race with it. :ninja:

Hey Guy's. Im still feeling kinda alone with my Problem. I really cant imagin how People can say the sound from the Japan Pack is good. Since more then 1 Year im waiting for an improvment (soundwise) more dynamic sound's and especialy more Bass on my Headset. I have a 200€ Senheiser Headset and i dont have any Bass at all (at least in Cockpit, external is a bit better) ive had a look into the cfg's and options but there is no Headset option. If i plug in my 5.1 the Sound and the Bass is way better.

It's realy weird that the Fiat 595 has more Bass then any other Car. I mean how can a 4 Cylinder have more Bass then a V8 like the Mustang. If i jump in to the Abarth my Headset put's out such a Bass i can feel it Vibrate on my head and that's what im searching in the other Car's.

The Sound's of the Japanese pack. Rx-7 sound's great you can here it's a Wankel Engine. But i here the same Sample for this noise in the Supra and in the GT-R wich is totaly sensless to me. I mean how can you even have the Idea to use this Sample for 6 cylinder's. Is it my Ears being so sensitive about Sound or can anyone follow what i feel?

Proper Sound is so important to me for a good immersion but i cant keep my 5.1 pluged in during the Nighttime and evening when my Neighbours are at Home.

You can find such Headset, Speaker's Option in almost every Game and in Assetto you dont. Even tho it's Realesed for more the 1,5 Year. I still wonder why the implemented the FMOD. Internal sound ist still like in 0.22 Alpha Version. It might be my opinion but in thermes of Sound Kuno's is out of Date by 20 Years. Ive coud enjoy Sound's from GTR or GTR-2 even more. Hell even a Game from 2000 had more dynamic or accurate Sound's.

Those who only want race cars in AC, how many race cars you want or need? 100, 200? Is hypocritical when you see people complain about more road cars in the game when you just want more and more race cars as well. In my opinion a balance is a good way to satisfy both sides.
The purpose of road cars is to enjoy the driving experience, and you can also race them or even drift.
The purpose of race cars? Competition, not to drive around (even though is still enjoyable to solo practice race cars).

If AC was a game where you could go out cruising on normal roads then having so many road cars would make sense, but it isn't, you are racing cars around race tracks and that is way more fun and immersive with race cars.

Not a big deal as I still enjoy AC but I would enjoy it more if Kunos bought out some race cars from different formulae and different time periods (so not just GT3).

Last edited:
Hey Guy's. Im still feeling kinda alone with my Problem. I really cant imagin how People can say the sound from the Japan Pack is good. Since more then 1 Year im waiting for an improvment (soundwise) more dynamic sound's and especialy more Bass on my Headset. I have a 200€ Senheiser Headset and i dont have any Bass at all (at least in Cockpit, external is a bit better) ive had a look into the cfg's and options but there is no Headset option. If i plug in my 5.1 the Sound and the Bass is way better.

It's realy weird that the Fiat 595 has more Bass then any other Car. I mean how can a 4 Cylinder have more Bass then a V8 like the Mustang. If i jump in to the Abarth my Headset put's out such a Bass i can feel it Vibrate on my head and that's what im searching in the other Car's.

The Sound's of the Japanese pack. Rx-7 sound's great you can here it's a Wankel Engine. But i here the same Sample for this noise in the Supra and in the GT-R wich is totaly sensless to me. I mean how can you even have the Idea to use this Sample for 6 cylinder's. Is it my Ears being so sensitive about Sound or can anyone follow what i feel?

Proper Sound is so important to me for a good immersion but i cant keep my 5.1 pluged in during the Nighttime and evening when my Neighbours are at Home.

You can find such Headset, Speaker's Option in almost every Game and in Assetto you dont. Even tho it's Realesed for more the 1,5 Year. I still wonder why the implemented the FMOD. Internal sound ist still like in 0.22 Alpha Version. It might be my opinion but in thermes of Sound Kuno's is out of Date by 20 Years. Ive coud enjoy Sound's from GTR or GTR-2 even more. Hell even a Game from 2000 had more dynamic or accurate Sound's.
Go into Realtek or your installed Sound Manager in Windows, sound effects - equalizer - select the bass preset.
If you have a surround system with speakers and subwoofer you might have a rotary dial on your sub for more bass.

If AC was a game where you could go out cruising on normal roads then having so many road cars would make sense, but it isn't, you are racing cars around race tracks and that is way more fun and immersive with race cars.

Actually I do that quite often, grab a street car and one of the many hill-climb tracks or Lake Louise and just cruise around like it's a normal road. On roads with a divider line I usually try to keep it in my lane and often I even have some tunes blasting while I cruise. Or an online track day with a bunch of people hooning various street cars around the Nords. It's not as adrenaline pumping as racing race cars, but I find it quite enjoyable and a good, relaxing way to unwind after a stressful day at work. There's plenty of race cars available in AC for those who only want to drive race cars, I don't see any harm in having some street cars tossed in for those of us who enjoy driving both kinds of cars.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%