Assetto Corsa v0.6

0.6 notes from Kunos..
So, it's that day of the month again and a new update is ready.

Let's have a look at todays "particular" update.
As you might have guessed, we won't release any new cars or tracks today. We understand that this might be a bit of a let down for some of you, but then again we have already released 35 cars and their upgrades and 12 tracks... considering AC's physics engine depth, I'm sure there's more to explore than simply jumping from one car to the other.
So what's in this new update? Lot's of core work to make AC better, some of it very evident, some of it under the surface but very important.

First of all we are enabling AI Quick Races for all cars, all tracks. You can select whatever car you like, whatever track you like and whatever number of opponents (up to the track limits). Most importantly you can select different opponents to race against. Multi-class, multi-era, multi-performances, multi-whatever.. err...no scratch that, multiplayer is not ready yet (we're working on it, you know we do!).

So this is very important, we worked very hard to enable all cars and all tracks to enable the AI. Tons of data to process, but we didn't just stopped there. We have laid out the ground to build a better AI that understands better the intentions of the player. On some cars you might see a better behaviour, on some others more or less the same, but the work is there and slowly we will update all of them. Your feedback is valuable and that's what early access is all about, so thank you in advance!

What's next? Collisions. You can lean on your opponents now, bump door against door, push and get pushed and the experience should be far better. Most importantly no more landmines and you can go over high kerbs with far more realistic behaviour. That also permits us to make the terrain collisions more accurate and this means more setup work for you, as you might need to make the setup stiffer, user bumpstops, or raise the car height to make sure the car is not bottoming out. If you hear strange scraping noises and experience unexpected spins on fast turns, it might mean that your old setup was way too low... AC is getting more mature and this means that it requests from you the drivers, more skills and more setup work. We are sure you're going to have fun limiting bottoming, without affecting car balance

Sound engine. We have worked on the sound engine to improve the sound of the opponents cars in AI races as well as taking advantage of 5.1 systems. It's been quite an extensive work, way too long to describe, but let us know what you think and if you find any bugs.

As usual lot's of little fixes, bug hunting and optimisations as usual, but also new much requested features like steering wheel hiding, look behind, smoke rendering on mirrors with on/off option, penalties system selectable from UI and more. We are listening the community and working out all the small little details, one by one.

Last but not least, a very important and very complicated theme module management for the UI. What does that means? Modders can now write their plugins and connect them inside the User Interface (like the amazing "Rivali" suite). Theme modules are then saved inside the username/documents/assetto corsa folder. This is very important, as we can update the user interface everytime we think necessary and users will not lose their installed mods and UI modifications (if made following our guidelines). Also, users can now select which UI mods can enable from Options/General menu. There is also an example with documentation for modders. This is far more important than it might seem, and opens the door to modders to create amazing applications that work seamlessly inside Assetto Corsa User Interface.

Hope you have fun with this new update, looking forward to hear your feedback.

The Assetto Corsa development team

Last edited:
20 cars in Monza on start when is smoke and wheelspins drop from 80 to 62. then in race 80-90fps. When is big crash frames go down to 54 fps. SUPERB job Kunos. I am very impressed:thumbsup:

Also i notice that between highest and medium details difference are 5-6 frames:)

I really think the slower cars races are great now! Not sure why Kunos can't incorporate that to the faster cars?

yes the Fiat 500 was the first thing I tried and that was really really awesome, seriously there was no crazy stuff happening like with other cars, it is just great fun... :thumbsup: When the AI for the rest of the game will be like that it is gonna be pretty sweet...

Absolutely agree, with such a frequent update cycle and such quick hotfixes coming out in response to community feedback(which is not always as polite as it should be) Kunos are gaining a great reputation. With regard to the difficulty of programming an A.I. to drive a race car, is that a human driver will conciously or un conciously anticipate many possibilities of what will happen next, we can almost see an incident happening before it starts. With A. I on a computer multiple cars it would become too resource hungry to model accurately this human style of anticipation so instead I imagine that each car is responding to what is happening in the immediate vicinity of itself 'as it happens' which is what, I believe, causes the chaos that mostly seems to happen with a tightly bunched pack in the faster cars. i.e. the lack of anticipation causes the A.I. to get into situations it can't get out of in a 'realistic' human way. I am learning how to program myself at the moment and I would absolutely love to get involved in A.I. development.

Last edited:
Tested 0.6.2 AI, and they seem more reasonable!
I finally could finish several races without being sent of the track!
AI still acts unrealistic though, especially in 100% strength, they simply rush alot into the corners when you are in the lead.
I was looking at the replay of AI and this is what they do
Anyway, i'm pretty satisfied with Kunos improvements today:)

I am learning how to program myself at the moment and I would absolutely love to get involved in A.I. development.

You may want to reconsider that. AI is haaaaaard. People have been at it for decades, and it is only just getting slightly less dumb. There are many fields of programming substantially easier than AI, so I hope you can handle frustration and pain! :)

I think my question in all of this is the comparison of AC's AI to that of other sims, particularly rFactor 2. It has been my favorite AI so far...perhaps a little boring, the cars follow each other a little too much...but it doesn't result in the performance drops and crashes. Hope AC gets these things to a manageable level in future updates.

I think my question in all of this is the comparison of AC's AI to that of other sims, particularly rFactor 2. It has been my favorite AI so far...perhaps a little boring, the cars follow each other a little too much...but it doesn't result in the performance drops and crashes. Hope AC gets these things to a manageable level in future updates.

The good news is that it is in a manageable state as it is now, consider the first lap as a warm up lap, put only as many car as your present system can handle without drastic FPS drop, act on the AI as you were driving you real car, wait for a real opportunity to pass, and you will be in for a threat.
The better news is that the Kunos is working very hard on improving it, so it will get better, but with the right state of mind, which is not to try to prove it does not work, but to try to enjoy it, there is a lot of very intense and interesting racing to get from the present AI.

Yes, I have had some great racing with the latest version of AI but, you do have to be patient and anticipate their tendency to brake early and aggressively at times. The real problem occurs when the AI directly in front of you brakes too hard and the one behind you does not, then bad things happen.

From my experience, it SEEMS that the AI drive as if your not there at times, like under braking and in some corners. At other times they seem fine, like when driving beside them down straights, but seeing as this is only 0.6.2 and its Kunos' first attempt at AI i think they have done a stellar job.

Think of it this way, Simbin and ISI have much bigger teams of employees and have released more than one title with AI and therefor have had much more experience with it and also have more in-house testers to iron out the bugs. Kunos have 10 ish people working on this title and have limited resources, and i can forgive them for the small inconsistencies for one simple reason.

They have the Ring laser scanned!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back