Assetto Corsa Track Moddeling Insights & Highlands Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AC Highlands 4.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni co-founder Marco Massarutto gives fans a little insight into the work required to create a scratch built circuit for Assetto Corsa.

In a post on his personal Facebook page earlier today, Marco Massarutto of Kunos Simulazioni shared several images from the development of the new Highlands race track due to be added as free content in Assetto Corsa "very very soon".

As we already know the Highlands race track will be a fictional creation from the team at Kunos and is to be based on a rural Scottish location consisting of four distinct track layouts. Designed to be suitable for a variety of different vehicles, from low power road cars to high downforce prototype racers, the Highlands track looks like an interesting addition to the game and should prove to be an enjoyable experience. With long open stretches of road intermixed with tight and twisting sectors through a fictional Scottish village, Highlands is an interesting change of pace from the usual content produced by Kunos.

You can view the comparison pictures and accompanying text from Massarutto below:

"So, today I would like to let you see what there's under the tip of the iceberg, giving you a very rough idea about the amount of work behind a track (regardless it's fictional or exists in the real world). That's much more that "time cost for modeling", but involves creativity, testing, improvements, remakes, and last but not least, a lot of passion.

I hope you will enjoy it as much as we enjoyed in making it. BTW, this track has been modeled by just one person.

[very very] "Soon™"

No exact release date has been given by Kunos on when to expect release of the Highlands circuit, however with the comments from Massarutto's Facebook post it looks like fans will not be waiting long until it's time to get their hands on the new track. As always stay tuned to RaceDepartment for news and updates as and when they become available.

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC.

AC Highlands 1.jpg
AC Highlands 2.jpg
AC highlands 3.jpg

The Assetto Corsa sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for Assetto Corsa news and community discussion. We have a whole bunch of mods to download, a specific area for modders to discuss their WIP projects and of course our epic Racing Club and League events. Head over and join in today.

AC Highlands 5.jpg AC Highlands 6.jpg AC Highlands 7.jpg AC Highlands 8.jpg

Did you enjoy the insight on track building from Massarutto? Looking forward to trying out the Highlands track? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
@Blimey - Thank you for that super important confession, our lives are now complete.

As for the track, I'm looking forward to it, but I would love to see some twisty mountain roads like for e.g. Stelvio Pass in the future.

@Blimey - Thank you for that super important confession, our lives are now complete.

As for the track, I'm looking forward to it, but I would love to see some twisty mountain roads like for e.g. Stelvio Pass in the future.
whoa, I'm not allowed to have my say? I guess I must be a shill to be allowed to do anything in life.

I do hope to get some very tight, twisty and ondulated B-road here but so far it looks like a Scottish Autobahn to race McLaren P1 vs Ferrari the Ferrari and Porsche 918 :-(

Looks that way from the video, but they talk about there being 4 layouts and one of them being tighter and twistier.

Fingers crossed, have to wait and see :)

I'm not usually a fan of fantasy tracks but I'm actually looking forward to this one.

Personnally i love seeing WIP images like this. gives me real insights to the process of track building, i cant wait to have a blast round this track, that said only grumble i have IMO the normal map for the waves on the lake is scaled to large. i don't think i have ever seen waves that big on any inland lake, even in a force gale storm.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 239 14.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.0%