Assetto Corsa to become second iRacing? (merged)

Great topic

Personally, I love the idea of being able to join a league and work my way up the ladder, but I don't want to pay annual charges and pay for tracks/cars that will then not be drivable if I don't renew my license. Plus I want to race against AI... So based on this set of requirements, I think AC isn't far off of this.

However, I just don't see this as something that KS would want to undertake - create & administer a racing league. KS's skillset resides in other *far more fun* topics such as physics & modelling. iRacing must take a lot of manpower to organise and keep running. Yes, there's plenty of money to be made in it (judging by iRacing's success) but I think that AC will provide KS with ample financial remuneration just through basic downloadable content... The main interface is going to be HTML based and modable. I think this was done on purpose by KS so that the community can take ownership of league running, etc... Empower the people, it's the future I say!!! :)

Cow

Not to mention Kunos (and ISI for that matter) sell their Sim onto professional companies so they gain revenue through that form, not sure if iRacing does this(?). This way you can see why Kunos would'nt need to go for Pay To Race scenario as they have two forms of income, the Casual Sim Racer on PCs (us) and Professional Outlets.

Having said that if the Sim world moves more into the "Pay For Cars/Tracks" way of things then it'd become a battle with these companies as to who licenses which cars/tracks that people want to race on, then it boils down to the game itself again, a whole other argument there and ne not worth going into until that day arrives....for me at least anyway!

Guys i have some questions..
Who tells me that devs or companies will think of me? The player/customer? How i can trust them?
I mean,who puts the limit in paying cars/tracks/services/products?

For example,Iracing has some "X" prices..RRRE announced cheaper prices.Why RRRE putted cheaper prices? Because their product is worst than Iracing's? Because they think of me the customer? Because they think that their prices are fair? And if they are fair then iracing's are unfair...(?)

Im trying to believe the idea(cause maybe im not 100% supportive but im working on it) that if i dont support my hobby,someday will die,but thinking of what i have wrote above i cant decide.
I have to pay every developer's/company's product? And if this developer/company made a product just for making money from,who will support me then?

Why should i support developers that arent trying to making better products but instead trying to pass me something similar to theyr previous?

I try to choose quality over quantity but can someone answer me how much should i pay for this quality?

I really cant decide,and i dont think theres an easy answer but as products have deferences then we(everybody) make our decisions(critisism if u want) so we will support "X" product and not the "Y" product.

For example,Iracing has some "X" prices..RRRE announced cheaper prices.Why RRRE putted cheaper prices? Because their product is worst than Iracing's? Because they think of me the customer? Because they think that their prices are fair? And if they are fair then iracing's are unfair...(?)
It depends on the company itself. And how big membership base they have.
Or expenses for that matter.

If someone is cheaper it means they can (or can not really) afford it.
I bet if iRacing could sell their cars for $5 they would but i believe it would not be very financially smart and eventually they would have to close the doors.

I think also SimRaceway is somewhere in between, with certain cars costing a lot and some are pretty cheap.

If you have two identical companies making identical products but one of them has 50.000 more members it means they can have a lower price and still generate as much or even more money then the other company.

Now in terms of an iRacing structure or a AC structure it has both good and bad´s.

Good for iRacing - it will never die, always improve step by step, a constant income to use for various projects. I guess a more secure way since you know more or less how much is being generated every month.

Good for AC - They can start absolutely fresh every time they make a new game and never have to re-write code or other stuff. Just look at the market, see the technologies that are available at the time and just start building from scratch.

Bad for iRacing - expensive

Bad for AC - they can make a game and then simply hope it will be successful so they can save some and work on the next title.

I like the AC way, i´m not really too fond of the iRacing structure, i´m more of a club racer doing leagues with specific cars and tracks and with guys you know are safe drivers.

You are right Vaggelis, there isn't an easy answer to something that is so subjective to each person involved in this, devs think about the bills they need to pay and how succesfull they can make their game be while users think about how much content/entertaiment they will be getting for what they pay for.

And I agree that the sim community should be supported or it may die off, but my personal view is that there are good ways and bad ways to do it, for me, supporting AC is the right thing to do because I think it will lead sim racing in the right direction. :)

But I'm sure there are people who think otherwise, after all, you can't please everyone because nobody has the same needs. ;)

I hope its nothing like iracing. IMO iracing has the worst physics of any sim (and most games) out there but at least the force feedback used to be good...whatever they did this last build completely ruined that, at least with my DFGT; it just shakes and shutters for no reason whatsoever. I was going to reply to the How are you killing time waiting for AC thread by saying I killed five minutes deleting everything iracing on my pc a couple days ago. (and I was just about to get my credit for my third year anniversary lol)

As far as online structure Kunos has said they have no plans to have their own version of irating or safety rating although a private league will have the ability to do that on their own. You will be able to host your own server anytime you like though and some friends and I are looking into how much it will cost to rent a dedicated server.

Kunos have stated that there will be DLC but so far has only mentioned that it will be cars but I think that iracing has shown there is a market for laser scanned tracks. (pretty much what kept me there for three years) Modders are already hard at work making cars that will be available for free and once they get more info from Kunos they will be busy also making tracks.

We can only hope and wait patiently to see if V1.0 actually comes out in a month or two. They have stated that they will release nothing until they are happy with it and it seems to me that by not offering a pre-order that takes the pressure off of having to release at a set date even if there are flaws. Very rare policy nowadays, and even though it sucks not knowing how long we must wait, it should end up in a game that actually works right on release day.

Can't wait to see you on track, hopefully soon.

thank you for your lengthy response. i'm not really into ratings tbh. i just want to play full access to content. the main thing i think is best about iracing is the graphics and the physics.

graphics of iracing are the best i've seen. maybe limerock rfactor 2 comes close.
physics: rfactor 2 has more feel of the road but the braking and throttle are not accurate on certain cars imho.also, the oversteer on some cars is laughable. the meganes and clios feel great tho (as examples).

i don't mind dlc if it's relatively cheap but...iracing is way overpriced and i'm guessing if ur subscription runs out you lose purchased content and can't play offline.

believe me, i'm not an obsessed iracing fan. i prefer f1 tracks and the classics in europe/south america/asia versus usa tracks (whcih are often unfamiliar to me). however, it's hard to argue that the graphics and the physics are top notch. ffb works great for me.
it's all about opinions i guess.i respect yours though

Do you have GTR2 and the P&G v3 mod? If not, GTR2 can be bought on Steam for less than $15 and the mod is free. Aris had his hand in the mod and it is AMAZING!!! IMO those cars and Netkar Pro have the most realistic physics available today and AC should be even better.
I really wish there was a way to donate money to the guys that made the mod because I feel like I'm stealing something its so good....I'm far from being made of money but I would gladly pay $60 for P&G and feel that it would be the best spent money on a game\sim I've spent in years.

I've spent close to a thousand dollars in content alone for iracing so it really hurts to walk away but at least if I ever do decide to renew it will still be there. I also think that the graphics are plenty good so if AC is even better thats just a bonus.

Keep having fun with whatever or however many sims you enjoy but I really believe that AC will be worth every penny.

Do you have GTR2 and the P&G v3 mod? If not, GTR2 can be bought on Steam for less than $15 and the mod is free. Aris had his hand in the mod and it is AMAZING!!! IMO those cars and Netkar Pro have the most realistic physics available today and AC should be even better.
I really wish there was a way to donate money to the guys that made the mod because I feel like I'm stealing something its so good....I'm far from being made of money but I would gladly pay $60 for P&G and feel that it would be the best spent money on a game\sim I've spent in years.

I've spent close to a thousand dollars in content alone for iracing so it really hurts to walk away but at least if I ever do decide to renew it will still be there. I also think that the graphics are plenty good so if AC is even better thats just a bonus.

Keep having fun with whatever or however many sims you enjoy but I really believe that AC will be worth every penny.

great read. thanks!
I got a pc about 6 months back.playing catch up on these games but got rfactor rfactor 2 gsc demo (physics are really good but thought i'd wait for AC and rfactor2 to develop rather than by a "temporary sideshow" game). i also got race 07 and all the packages such as gtr evolution, gtr2 , . don't think i have power and glory mod so i must get that - sounds great.
i like all the race games although i do think the braking isn't quite as crisp as it should be.
yeah, the thing with iracing is that i would hate to waste that kind of money.you say content will be there if you leave and go back...but if you leave, you will have left for a reason and knowing me (if i were you lol) i wouldn't go back.

i think AC will be amazing (hopefully) and it will be a massive hit - especially on RD. not only that, but i think it will spur on the competition. i think rfactor 2 is going to be massive when it's finally finished. can't help but feel that the beta thing has got it bad press tho as it's dragged on so long. either way, i really hope that i can focus on these games and that they are amazing - that way (i believe it will happen anyway) iracing will have to drop their fees. either subscription or DLC. ultimately, if there are 3 amazing games and one charges so much, people are going to stop buying if it's not radically better.

so there it is....see you on assetto corsa buddy ;):thumbsup:

at least the mod should have put it into the "will ac becomes a 2nd iracing" thread.. instead of creating a new one...

in terms of questions and so.. I can understand to create new threads of it...
but for opinions and so.. it may feel very strange for the poster to see it as a new thread.. because the thing becomes a whole new weight then.. thats why it's good for questions and so..

I hope the mods don't get it wrong this is a form of constructive critic not ment as an offense
because I know how hard it is sometimes to be a mod.. I am one by myself in two audio related forums..
it just feel wrong in this case to create a new thread of it.. and because we already have this "will become a 2nd iracing thread" that would be the better place, to place it here as an answer

Just for the record there are a number of things that I hope AC is like iracing....netcode, replays, and hundreds of people on at any given time. :)

Amen to that brother! In addition, a rating system to prevent drivers from being too wreckless and keep them in line, is a must in my opinion. What's the point of racing online if wreckers are gonna ruin every race without repercussions? And please don't suggest leagues....I hate having to wait a whole week just to race. I need my racing fix EVERY day.

a rating system to prevent drivers from being too wreckless and keep them in line, is a must in my opinion. What's the point of racing online if wreckers are gonna ruin every race without repercussions?

A rating system which needs to be intelligent though!!! The one in iRacing is very frustrating as I have guys crashing into me from all sides and I get the penalties too! That sucks and it's something I hate in iRacing.

Not against rating, far from that, but it needs to be fair and intelligent...

I need my racing fix EVERY day.
Racing Club :) Daily casual events.

Public racing will always be less quality than private sessions simply because when you leave a server wide open that one idiot will enter to ruin your race.

Unless developers really grow some balls and develop a system where three strikes means out (revoked license, buy a new game) this will always happen, also in next gen titles.

Problem I see is that there should a central court of appeal where you can report wreckers with their real names/ID. But will be very time consuming and costly. But I am available :)

Why is it not fair? If someone hits you in real life on the track, who has to pay for it? Not him, but you!
See SR like a budget kind of thing. If you make contact you have to spend money (in this case SR) to fix it.

You shouldn't care too much about SR anyway.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 192 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%